PDA

View Full Version : EOTech Reticle Brightness (low light environment and mounted weapon light)

abnk
07-16-07, 14:28
Gentlemen:

I am posting this here as I think it is more a matter of tactics and training than a technical matter.

An EOTech set for daylight is certainly too bright for use at night. It is way too bright to see through and it gives away our position. In a low light setting however, the reticle disappears when I actuate the weapon-mounted light; especially, if the target is a white or other light color.

My question is: do you quickly illuminate the target for identification then take the shot with the light off or compromise your concealment by the dark by having a higher setting on the EOTech and take the shot with the light on? I am looking at this from the home defense prospective.

Thanks.

gunny
07-16-07, 15:40
If you are using a high lumen white light source it will drown out reticles. If your light drowns out the reticle it's not gonna matter at the moment of truth since you should have already acquired the target by the time you take the shot. You're gonna be fairly close to the threat & you should be able to hit the target at CQC ranges either sighting through the glass or looking over your sights w/out the light by that time. Learn to sight your weapon with both eyes open when not using a scope if you haven't already.

In the dark you should be using your light in short illumination "bursts" & never use constant on in tactical situations. The Eotech should not have any muzzle side signature to betray your pos like an Aimpoint for example. I use the lowest setting in low light with my Eotech regardless how much may get drowned out by light. I use blue beam filters or IR depending on if nvd's are used. I like blue filters since they illuminate well & can still blind the threat, yet are softer on my sensitive eyes.

Pat_Rogers
07-16-07, 16:35
W/O going into TTP's, the Aimpoint does have a downrange signature when the reticle is turned all the way up and you are viewing it straight from the front - that is dead nuts on- and at close range.

The EO does not have a downrange signature. However, if you turn the EO reticle all the way up the red wash will be on your face, viewable also at close range, and from across the forward arc.

In no case would the reticle be turned all the way up (again, w/o going into TTP's ) at night.

If you need to have the Aimpoint up all the way at night, simply close the front lens cover and run the optic like an OEG.

C4IGrant
07-16-07, 16:44
Gentlemen:

I am posting this here as I think it is more a matter of tactics and training than a technical matter.

An EOTech set for daylight is certainly too bright for use at night. It is way too bright to see through and it gives away our position. In a low light setting however, the reticle disappears when I actuate the weapon-mounted light; especially, if the target is a white or other light color.

My question is: do you quickly illuminate the target for identification then take the shot with the light off or compromise your concealment by the dark by having a higher setting on the EOTech and take the shot with the light on? I am looking at this from the home defense prospective.

Thanks.

The way a low light shoot should go down is a follows:

1. Locate target using "flash bulb" technique (Move after light is turned on)
2. After finding the target, flash bulb again to make sure they have a weapon (Move again)
3. Fire weapon with light off. (Move again)

So to answer your question, I would leave the EOTech set to a night time setting as you should be firing without any light on.

C4

abnk
07-17-07, 14:00
Thank you, gents.

This year's training budget is exhausted, but next year I will definitely invest in low light training.