PDA

View Full Version : DARPA's One-Shot Program moves to Phase 2

D. Christopher
10-04-10, 17:05
Not a "self-aiming sniper rifle" as the morons in the media would call it, but electro optics can help more shooters make longer shots in tougher conditions and still be successful. Field-testable units are now about a year away but at least we're making progress.

http://www.militaryaerospace.com/index/display/article-display/0657946308/articles/military-aerospace-electronics/executive-watch-2/2010/10/lockheed-martin_to.html

variablebinary
10-05-10, 07:04
It's feasible that in our lifetime, optics with shot computers will take the guess work out of long range shooting, and make all the calculations needed for you.

DMR
10-05-10, 07:21
I read the breif on phase one a few months ago. Preety interesting system with impressive results. I'd like to know how it traces back to some of the ONS requirements we laid out for the M-24 PIP.

Watrdawg
10-05-10, 07:22
I read that article also the other day. The concept seems great. I have not been through any sniper training so take this for what it's worth but one thought that ran through my mind while reading the article was how would this affect the quality of snipers out there. Basically would they become more reliant on the electronics and capabilities of the scope and not be as able to take and make a successful shot in a more traditional manner. I guess a basic comparison would be land navigation and relying so much on a GPS now and not being able to properly use a compass. GPS goes out but can the trooper now properly use a compass? Scope electronics malfunction but can the sniper now take and make the shot without the electronics?

500grains
10-05-10, 09:31
Don't missiles already do this, so isn't it just application of a known technology to a simpler / smaller scale problem.

danpass
10-05-10, 09:59
My first thought was the targeting system of the M1 tank scaled down to fit on a scope mount :)

kaiservontexas
10-05-10, 14:36
I read that article also the other day. The concept seems great. I have not been through any sniper training so take this for what it's worth but one thought that ran through my mind while reading the article was how would this affect the quality of snipers out there. Basically would they become more reliant on the electronics and capabilities of the scope and not be as able to take and make a successful shot in a more traditional manner. I guess a basic comparison would be land navigation and relying so much on a GPS now and not being able to properly use a compass. GPS goes out but can the trooper now properly use a compass? Scope electronics malfunction but can the sniper now take and make the shot without the electronics?

I am sure they will still teach traditional methods. There is way more to being a sniper then making a shot. My understanding is most get washed out for failing to do many other things outside of marksmanship.

Watrdawg
10-05-10, 15:03
I'm just speaking to the actual shooting part. I understand that there is much much more to being a sniper than just the shot.

GlockWRX
10-05-10, 18:12
I think we are right on the cusp of seeing some serious integration of all this technology. Merge a laser range finder, high power scope, and ballistic computer into one device mounted on the rifle (and hey, add NV and thermal capability while you are at it). Use a wireless link to a portable weather sensor to automatically adjust for air density altitude, angle of attack, wind direction and wind intensity (you can do this today with an Android phone and Kestrel wind meter).

You can have a two touch solution for any long range shot; press 'calculate' for the firing solution, and then press the trigger.

gkanga
10-10-10, 00:53
My first thought was the targeting system of the M1 tank scaled down to fit on a scope mount :)

It sounds like the One Shot system will compensate for wind and atmospheric conditions over the whole flight path. As far as I know, the M1 fire control system only compensates for cross wind measured at the tank, and makes no corrections for atmospheric turbulence or scintillation (nor do any other AFV systems).

efgh346
11-12-10, 21:56
SPAMMER

120mm
11-13-10, 06:15
It sounds like the One Shot system will compensate for wind and atmospheric conditions over the whole flight path. As far as I know, the M1 fire control system only compensates for cross wind measured at the tank, and makes no corrections for atmospheric turbulence or scintillation (nor do any other AFV systems).

Well, that is a good trick if you can do it.

We used to set up long range shots with the old M60A3 firing solution computer and M85 machinegun. The M1 wasn't as good, as the machineguns were not mounted as precisely as the M85.