PDA

View Full Version : Which 1911?

tr1290
07-16-07, 17:27
Ed Brown Special Forces (http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00188.1.867718830933734515)

Wilson Combat Tactical Super Grade (http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_tactical_supergrade.asp)

Kimber Warrior (http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/warrior.php)

I am looking for the one that is the most reliable, most accurate and the maker with the best customer service.

SHIVAN
07-16-07, 18:04
Wilson is probably the answer to this query...

abnartyguy
07-16-07, 22:33
I wouldn't even worry about getting the full house Wilson, i have 3 CQB's and the out shoot most everything else i run into. later!
-Zef M.

Grin Reaper
07-16-07, 23:24
I'd worry about reliability from the Kimber. Mine would start failing to extract after about 60 rounds (and that was with a clean pistol, using Wilson Combat mags, factory ammo). But to be fair, that was with a Kimber CDPII, not the Warrior.

I have no experience with your other 2 options, either. Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't be replying at all.

[looks around uncomfortably]

trio
07-17-07, 07:22
reliability and accuracy between the Ed Brown and Wilson will likely be a push for comprable models (if I am not mistaken, though, the Wilson Supergrades are more expensive, maybe significantly, than the EB SF model)...

Customer service, though, wilson will win over Ed Brown hands down, in my experience...YMMV

rob_s
07-17-07, 08:10
I have a CQB and a Special Forces, and I prefer the SF. With that said, I always push people towards the CQB now mostly because of the customer service. I also suggest the Nighhawk GRP, but it has a higher street price than the CQB.

It's unfortunate that companies like Ed Brown and Les Baer haven't learned a thing or two from the other guys. They make good guns but I tend to steer people making their first $2k pistol purchase towards companies with better customer service, even if I don't think that their product is the best.

Stretz Tactical Inc
07-17-07, 09:36
I have a kimber warrior. I brought it back to the factory 6 times within one year of buying it. I brought it in for a variety of differrent problems, some ongoing and some do to a poor fix on the last trip to the factory. I think the only reason the gun was finally squared away was that I realized I knew someone at the factory and he personally worked on my gun. Quality control is low to non existent and the moral of the employees is very low. Take it for what it's worth. I'm just glad I live 30 minutes from the factory.

SGB
07-17-07, 18:24
The Brown and the Wilson are a Class above the Warrior and between those two it comes down to personal preference.

I have a Warrior that has had all it's MIM replaced and it runs 100%.

Paulinski
07-17-07, 18:35
I have a Warrior that has had all it's MIM replaced and it runs 100%.

Which parts did you have to replace to get rid of MIM on Warrior. I'm thinking about picking up Desert Warrior myself.

Paul

Dave L.
07-17-07, 20:00
I own a Warrior and only shoot it with Cobra mags and cheap Remington FMJ- it runs 97%- the few problems were mag and ammo related.

If you don't want to throw down 2G's then you could take my route "shoot the piss out of it and replace the MIM crap as they go".

MIM stuff should hold up easily for 1K rounds.

Bison
07-17-07, 20:40
MIM stuff should hold up easily for 1K rounds.

My Kimber's have all had thousands upon thousands of rounds through them in IPSC competition and I've yet to have a MIM part fail. As I mentioned to someone the other day, the only part that has failed on my Super Match was a Wilson Combat extended slide stop I tried for a while. I went back to the original MIM part after the Wilson part broke and haven't looked back. YMMV.

That said, I have neither the EB or the WC. I'd love either of them!

SWATcopUSA
07-18-07, 03:36
I've been lucky with two Kimber TLE's (one with and one without the rail). Although I do have to admit that they will be the last Kimbers that I buy from a customer service standpoint. If your not scared away by the price of a Wilson Supergrade you might also want to take a good look at some of the Nighthawk offerings, more specifically the 10-8 model or the Vickers model. I have also had nothing but success with the Springfield Professional, which you can also get with or without the rail, depending on your needs. Out of the ones you listed I would have to say the Wilson. Best of luck.

tr1290
07-18-07, 09:12
If you don't want to throw down 2G's then you could take my route "shoot the piss out of it and replace the MIM crap as they go".

What parts are MIM?

Army Chief
07-18-07, 12:34
Not to be unkind, but the Kimber really isn't in the same class as the others. Ed Brown offers a fairly standardized pistol of exceptional quality, but there are mixed reports on the service end of things. Wilson offers much the same thing on a slightly expanded scale, but is extremely pleasant to deal with. I'd be pleased to own either the Wilson or the Brown, but my last few semi-custom 1911s have been Wilsons, so you might say I've a vested interest.

Chief

SGB
07-18-07, 13:12
Which parts did you have to replace to get rid of MIM on Warrior. I'm thinking about picking up Desert Warrior myself.

Paul

Many companies use MIM and MIM in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, however Kimber had a period with a long string of MIM parts breakage that prompted me to replace the following.

Hammer
Hammer strut
Sear
disconnecter
slide stop
firing pin stop
barrel bushing
(Kimber did use some MIM extractors as well)
Thumb safety
pins

Red Cobra
07-18-07, 13:28
Wilson CQB is my choice. Actually looking at the CQB TACTICAL LE currently. It will be my second Wilson.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/428SCJ/100_1190.jpg

Yojimbo
07-18-07, 14:05
My choices would be...

1. Ed Brown

2. Wilson

3. Kimber

I agree with those that said that the Kimber is outclassed by the other two.

Bison
07-18-07, 14:36
My choices would be...

1. Ed Brown

2. Wilson

3. Kimber

I agree with those that said that the Kimber is outclassed by the other two.

+1. Even though I love my Kimbers (I have three), I would not put them on the same level as an Ed Brown or Wilson. Kimbers are, however, much cheaper than anything either EB or WC makes, if that is a consideration.

David Thomas
07-19-07, 00:13
Ed Brown Special Forces (http://www.edbrown.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/00188.1.867718830933734515)

Wilson Combat Tactical Super Grade (http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_tactical_supergrade.asp)

Kimber Warrior (http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/custom/warrior.php)

I am looking for the one that is the most reliable, most accurate and the maker with the best customer service.

You are asking us to recommend a 1911 to you out of those three choices that range in MSRP from $1200 to $4000 with the criteria of which is most reliable, most accurate, and best customer service? Really?

You probably need to set a realistic price point and look at comparable 1911's.

JohnN
07-19-07, 02:24
You are asking us to recommend a 1911 to you out of those three choices that range in MSRP from $1200 to $4000 with the criteria of which is most reliable, most accurate, and best customer service? Really?

You probably need to set a realistic price point and look at comparable 1911's.

I totally agree. I had a Wilson CQB for several years and it worked perfectly with every brand of ammo I shoved thru it. On the other hand I have pushed over 2000rds thru a Kimber Warrior without a bobble. The pistols work equally well they just are not finished to the same degree. For a user the Warrior will work well if you get a good one. When you get above 2K it is mostly about fit and finish IMHO.

rayray
07-19-07, 11:41
I'd have to go with the Kimber, My brother owns one and it's the best 45 i've ever fired. I'm sure the Ed Brown & the Wilson are also fine fire arms. :)

Robb Jensen
07-19-07, 11:44
The three choices really don't compare equally. That's kind of like comparing a Ferrari, Aston-Martin and a Honda together.

mmike87
07-23-07, 07:48
I'll echo what other's said - your choices are a pretty wide spread. The Kimber doesn't even belong in the same sentence as the Wilson and the Brown. And the "Super Grade" Wilson's, although pretty, probably are not gaining much if anything in accuracy or reliability over the "lower end" Wilson pistols.

I will say that once I owned a fill size Baer and a commander sized Wilson Professional, I sold my Kimber. There was just no reason to shoot it anymore. Nothing wrong with it - it ran fine - but why I would I ever shoot it over the other two?

If you're looking to spend, I'd go with a Wilson CQB. Brown makes are fine pistol although I do not have any personal experience with them. The CQB and the Special Forces are in the same price range, anyway.

mayonaise
07-23-07, 16:43
As someone stated earlier you're comparing apples and oranges in the production-semi-custom-custom 1911 world.

If someone else is paying I'll take the Wilson Super Grade. That's a no brainer. :D

If I'm buying and had to choose from the three I'd go with the Ed Brown because I don't like 1911's with light rails and for the nearly $4K for the Wilson Super Grade I'd rather have a smith build a gun to my specs.

Regarding MIM parts. They work or they don't. If they fail they usually fail early or last a good long while. I have a Kimber with 25K+ through it and have yet to have to replace a MIM part.

BlastinCaps
07-29-07, 09:27
I own all three of the 1911's and I must honestly say that Besides price they are all about the same. I actually out shoot the Wilson and EB on some days and on other days I dont, but they all are very good choices. The Warrior is cheaper in price but as far as quality, Kimber really put out a fine 1911 in this one.(AND I wouldnt compare it to a Honda!--A Glock or Ruger I would compare to a Honda, but not a Kimber.) I have owned the Kimber for approximately 2 years and have put probably close to 11000 rounds through it and have had only one problem with it....It hates lead bullets! But then again so does my WC and EB. I even shot 4000 rounds through it before a cleaning. I did put a Ed Brown Guide Rod in the Warrior though...maybe that made the big differance. I also own a Sig GSR and it doesnt shoot like the other three but it cost more than the Kimber. Just remember guys COST doesnt make the gun...YOU make the gun! If I was on a budget, I would not hesitate to get the Kimber. However If money is no option, get any or all three. They are ALL a high class guns.
Bob

David Thomas
07-29-07, 14:56
I own all three of the 1911's and I must honestly say that Besides price they are all about the same.
Bob

Bob, I would love to see pics of your Wilson Combat Tactical Super Grade. I would imagine that there are very few of these pistols out there.

David Thomas
08-02-07, 11:56
I own all three of the 1911's and I must honestly say that Besides price they are all about the same.
Bob

Posted 7/29/07:

Bob, I would love to see pics of your Wilson Combat Tactical Super Grade. I would imagine that there are very few of these pistols out there.

No pictures?

Striker5
08-02-07, 14:46
"When you get above 2K it is mostly about fit and finish IMHO."

That seems to be the consensus that I've seen over reading reviews.

"To give it that personal touch I had a diamond injected with tritium and inserted in the front sight. As a personal preference I also had the rear of the slide engraved to match the heel of my palm and inlaid with platinum." Difren't strokes.

Glockster35
08-02-07, 15:33
My vote is for the Ed Brown, simply because I think it is far superior to the other two, and I don't think Kimber should even have made the list.

I don't own a Kimber, I have no doubt most of them are OK, but MIM parts will steer me away.

Wilson Combat handguns are a good buy, but again, I don't think they are of the same quality as Ed Brown firearms.

There are other companies I would have on this list.

BlastinCaps
08-02-07, 16:15
Dave,
Sorry, I do not post pictures of my firearms on the internet but if you would like to see what one looks like or actually order one, just go to the Wilson Combat website. They are available there for just under 4k. Thats where I got mine. Or you can try Gunbroker.com, there is one for sale there too. As far being "rare". Not really, I know a couple of other guys at my range who have them. A lot of people just cant afford or justify spending that money for a 1911 unless they have a lot of cash to spare. Anyway, Good luck in your venture.
Peace
Bob