http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/38_Bodyguard_Box.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/38_Bodyguard_case.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/38_Bodyguard.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/38_Bodyguard1.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/38_bodyguard3.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/38_bodyguard2.jpg

10-04-10, 21:49
Interesting.

What are your impressions of that integrated laser?

Activated by that top button? Constant *click* on?

I've never handled one of these, but it looks like a step backward from the plain jane 442 J-frame with a CTC lasergrip (ergonomically, a least).

Also; Lock, or no lock? I'm not seeing one... (!)

ghettomedic
10-04-10, 23:30
Sad as it is to say...S&W seems to be consistently coming up with answers to questions no one is asking these days.

IMO, one of the strengths of the traditional design is that the form and function of the J-frame revolver is scalable to those using larger-framed guns for hunting or self-defense. Regardless of size, the manual of arms remains roughly the same. The "ambidextrous" cylinder release is a radical departure from the traditional revolver manual of arms and the Insight laser has nothing on the CTC 405 in terms of ergonomics and ease of activation. This whole "Bodyguard 2.0" enterprise seems like a poorly thought out means of competing with the Ruger LCR, which is not my cup of tea but certainly is stealing a good bit of market share from S&W.

I carry a 442 as a BUG every day and I have not had a chance to shoot or even handle one of the new Bodyguards, maybe I'll be forced to eat my words, but I doubt it.

LHS
10-04-10, 23:39
Sad as it is to say...S&W seems to be consistently coming up with answers to questions no one is asking these days.

IMO, one of the strengths of the traditional design is that the form and function of the J-frame revolver is scalable to those using larger-framed guns for hunting or self-defense. Regardless of size, the manual of arms remains roughly the same. The "ambidextrous" cylinder release is a radical departure from the traditional revolver manual of arms and the Insight laser has nothing on the CTC 405 in terms of ergonomics and ease of activation. This whole "Bodyguard 2.0" enterprise seems like a poorly thought out means of competing with the Ruger LCR, which is not my cup of tea but certainly is stealing a good bit of market share from S&W.

I carry a 442 as a BUG every day and I have not had a chance to shoot or even handle one of the new Bodyguards, maybe I'll be forced to eat my words, but I doubt it.

That's pretty much the same thing I thought. I have a pre-lock 642 with LG-405s that I carry every day. It works great, and I really don't see anything about this particular revolver that would improve on it.

sjc3081
10-05-10, 00:31
My next purchase for sure. Iwas considering a RugerLCR but if you tried to stage the trigger the gun would not fire and the cylinder would rotate but the hammer would fail to actuate.

C4IGrant
10-05-10, 07:15
Thoughts. I have not fired the gun yet. So this is just from handling the gun. First, this gun is meant to compete with Ruger. There will be another version of this gun that does not have a laser.

The insight laser is a quality one. The button on top requires a fair amount of force to activate it. You depress it once for constant and depress again for flashing.

This revolver will appeal to lefties a lot because of the neutral position of the controls. The trigger feels the best of any revolver trigger I have ever felt (less custom trigger jobs).

As a fan of a snubby and CT laser grips, there are up and down sides to this setup. Under stress, it is very easy to activate the laser when you don't want to. It is also easy to activate the laser when you want to.
With the bodyguard, it is more difficult to activate the laser. So if you needed to pull the gun, but don't want the laser on, this setup will be better.

This is just some quick thoughts on the subject from my limited experience.

C4

willowofwisp
10-05-10, 09:16
Grant, how long till these are available on your website?

subzero
10-05-10, 09:31
The trigger feels the best of any revolver trigger I have ever felt (less custom trigger jobs).

I was pretty impressed with the quality of the single cam trigger on the LCR. How does this compare? Is it merely a slicked up factory trigger or did they make some actual change to the mechanism?

C4IGrant
10-05-10, 09:48
Grant, how long till these are available on your website?

I will have them up shortly.

C4

C4IGrant
10-05-10, 09:49
I was pretty impressed with the quality of the single cam trigger on the LCR. How does this compare? Is it merely a slicked up factory trigger or did they make some actual change to the mechanism?

Not being a revolver expert, I would say that the mechanism is different (as it feels like no other revolver trigger I have tried before).

C4

C4IGrant
10-05-10, 10:11
They are now up on our website: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=103038

C4

titsonritz
10-05-10, 13:28
I’m with ghettomedic and LHS on the “Bodyguards” and S&W’s new stuff general. I’m left-handed and the new cylinder release setup doesn’t do a thing for me, I’ll stick with pre-lock Smiths.

CaptainDooley
10-29-10, 08:48
My Father-in-Law brought one of these home for his wife last night. He of course bought it for her without taking her with him... Early reports are that she can't pull the trigger... Guess I'm heading over to teach grip and stance later...

C4IGrant
10-29-10, 09:12
My Father-in-Law brought one of these home for his wife last night. He of course bought it for her without taking her with him... Early reports are that she can't pull the trigger... Guess I'm heading over to teach grip and stance later...

This revolver has the softest trigger pull of any out of the box revolver I have tried. So if she cannot pull this one, no other revolver will work for her.

C4

DrMark
10-29-10, 09:55
I've held one, but have yet to fire one.

Given this limited exposure, two advantages that I see as compared to the 442/642 are the longer ejection rod and the lighter (maybe by 30-40%) trigger pull.

Looking forward to hearing more input from those who have fired them.

Tom Russell
10-29-10, 10:04
I thought the trigger pull on the one I sampled was fairly typical.

I am a lefty and utilize my trigger finger to press the standard cylinder release without any problem. A potential problem with the cylinder release on the Body Guard is that it can be inadvertently pressed when drawing the pistol from the pocket or purse. Five rounds in the gun isn't much to start a fight with but five rounds on the ground between your feet is much worse.

With the laser activation button on the top right of the pistol a right-hander will have to use their firing hand thumb which would appear to be awkward. A left can use the support hand thumb but it still seems a bit awkward.

One of the standard J-frames is more preferable to me and if I wanted a laser I would go with the Crimson Trace.

CaptainDooley
10-29-10, 10:12
This revolver has the softest trigger pull of any out of the box revolver I have tried. So if she cannot pull this one, no other revolver will work for her.

C4

I'm handling her gun now and I would agree. I forgot to mention she has arthritis in both hands. Her husband doesn't listen to common sense advice (like take your wife with you when buying her a gun), so we'll work with what we've got. Right now she's having to use both index fingers to pull the trigger.

C4IGrant
10-29-10, 10:18
I thought the trigger pull on the one I sampled was fairly typical.

Most Snubby's have a trigger pull of over 12LBS (generally in the 14LBS range). I measured the bodyguard and it came in at around 8.10LBS. That is MUCH BETTER.

I am a lefty and utilize my trigger finger to press the standard cylinder release without any problem. A potential problem with the cylinder release on the Body Guard is that it can be inadvertently pressed when drawing the pistol from the pocket or purse. Five rounds in the gun isn't much to start a fight with but five rounds on the ground between your feet is much worse.

This is of no concern as the cylinder does not magically open (from any angle) when the release is pushed. I even shook the revolver on its side and I couldn't get the cylinder to open.

With the laser activation button on the top right of the pistol a right-hander will have to use their firing hand thumb which would appear to be awkward. A left can use the support hand thumb but it still seems a bit awkward.

One of the standard J-frames is more preferable to me and if I wanted a laser I would go with the Crimson Trace.

IMHO, you are never going to activate the laser from a draw and shoot mentality. Why? Because snubby revolvers are used at conversational distances (point shooting is king). The laser comes into its own if you are trying to deter someone or have to make a longer shot and have some time.

C4

Tom Russell
10-29-10, 16:14
"This is of no concern as the cylinder does not magically open (from any angle) when the release is pushed. I even shook the revolver on its side and I couldn't get the cylinder to open"

No they don't magically open but I assumed they were designed to open with the cylinder release was depressed. Silly me. As with any revolver the more it is used the more easily it will open when you press the cylinder release. It's possible that the center pin spring is sufficiently strong to force the pin into its indention and prevent the cylinder from simply dropping open when the cylinder release is pressed but in a hand to hand fight or as the pistol wears there could be a problem if the release is inadvertently pressed, and with it sitting there on the top of the gun that is a real possibility.

"IMHO, you are never going to activate the laser from a draw and shoot mentality. Why? Because snubby revolvers are used at conversational distances (point shooting is king). The laser comes into its own if you are trying to deter someone or have to make a longer shot and have some time. It's possible that the center pin spring is sufficiently strong to force the pin into it's indention and prevent the cylinder from simply drop"

My point was that regardless of when you activate the lazer it is more awkward than the Crimson Trace unit.

C4IGrant
10-29-10, 16:32
No they don't magically open but I assumed they were designed to open with the cylinder release was depressed. Silly me.

They do open, you have to either give them a little push or REALLY snap the gun to the side.

My point was that regardless of when you activate the lazer it is more awkward than the Crimson Trace unit.

This can also be a good thing. I don't always want a laser on when I draw.

C4

Drew78
10-31-10, 16:01
I messed around with one at my LGS and was not blown away. I do not care for the laser position or how it is manipulated. For me, if I chose a laser mounted element on my firearm, I want that sucker ON as it clears the holster. Hitting that button under stress gives me some concern as we tend to lose our fine motor in those situations.

I do have an LCR and am very happy with it. I don't remember the BG having a stellar trigger, but it has been a while. FWIW- I have read several reports of issues with this revolver that have warrented trips back to the mother ship w/out a shot fired. Just teething issues I am sure, but research first and give em a good llok over before buying.

Drew

86K5
10-31-10, 19:38
My friend picked one up and I was able to give it a go. I can say that while it is lighter, I much prefer the original model 49 Bodyguard over this.