PDA

View Full Version : Bushmasters whats your opinion on them?

devildogljb
10-05-10, 04:26
Ok im sorry every one but i dont like them for the many reasons. But according to some people i know they are one of the best rifles out there that you can spend your money on. Did i miss something? Is the chart wrong?

matt86
10-05-10, 04:47
I dont think you need to apologize. People tend to think Bushmaster makes a good weapon, because of the fact that they spend so much money advertising and people see the ads, then spread the word that BM is the best you can buy. Same goes for RRA. I cant believe people would spend 1000+ on a BM, when you can build a top tier weapon for around 800 bucks. Also funny how gun shop employess will tell you BM,RRA,DPMS,etc. are the best rifles money can buy, but have never heard of BCM or Noveske.

DaBears_85
10-05-10, 04:50
From my experience the people who say Bushmaster's are the best are casual shooters who don't really know what they're talking about, and the guy behind the gun counter trying to sell one to you.

Adam0331
10-05-10, 04:52
There's a slue of things wrong with them right from the factory. Improperly staked gas key, unstaked castle nut, chamber out of spec, etc...

I bought one back '03 before I went to boot camp and thought it was awesome until I got on here and started reading about them and educating myself then I sold it to upgrade.

Bushmaster seems to spend a lot on advertising and the average Joe Shmoe won't get on a forum like this and read a little bit so a lot of guys will preach that they are top of the line, when actually you can get a much better quality weapon for about the same price, if not less.

Col_Crocs
10-05-10, 04:56
I dont think you need to apologize. People tend to think Bushmaster makes a good weapon, because of the fact that they spend so much money advertising and people see the ads, then spread the word that BM is the best you can buy. Same goes for RRA. I cant believe people would spend 1000+ on a BM, when you can build a top tier weapon for around 800 bucks. Also funny how gun shop employess will tell you BM,RRA,DPMS,etc. are the best rifles money can buy, but have never heard of BCM or Noveske.

I originally asked if these folks you know gave any specific reasons as to why they thought so but this actually makes a lot of sense.
I had one some time back. It was a 1/7 with m4 feed ramps, at least. My main issue with it, however, was the chamber. It was too tight I kept getting popped primers. IT just wasnt worth the hassle. I got rid of it after only about 100 rounds.

devildogljb
10-05-10, 05:06
i figured i didnt think they changed any thing. I know of all the problems with them just thought hell froze over and they had changed their ways. And no all the specs he gave was he has had 0 ftf etc. I asked him how long hes had the rifle and how many rounds he has put down range and just went around the question but i know hes only owned the rifle for about a month but round count is unknown and proceded to insult me telling me i was wrong and i had no idea what i was talking about etc. I try educating him on the problems with the rifle (i was being very nice) the gas key not being staked properly castle nut etc. So mods feel free to lock this i just wanted to confirm

Army Chief
10-05-10, 05:23
I'm not sure how long-lived this thread will be, simply because this is a very well-worn topic, but Bushmaster produces a very nice hobby-grade AR-type rifle. The trouble, of course, is that when there are a number of truly battle-worthy alternatives on the market, it doesn't make a lot of sense to invest in anything less. It is what it is, and we should probably note that many shooters get their introduction to the platform this way, but a well-informed buyer will generally look elsewhere for a competent Stoner-pattern rifle or carbine.

AC

devildogljb
10-05-10, 05:27
I'm not sure how long-lived this thread will be, simply because this is a very well-worn topic, but Bushmaster produces a very nice hobby-grade AR-type rifle. The trouble, of course, is that when there are a number of truly battle-worthy alternatives on the market, it doesn't make a lot of sense to invest in anything less. It is what it is, and we should probably note that many shooters get their introduction to the platform this way, but a well-informed buyer will generally look elsewhere for a competent Stoner-pattern rifle or carbine.

AC

and i agree with you and i knew the answer already i just wanted to make sure i wasnt wrong and tell some one a wrong advise. As i said before no problem with the mods locking this at any time

Frens
10-05-10, 05:38
Bushmasters are fine...not the best but not the worst either.

Failure2Stop
10-05-10, 06:05
Bushmasters are fine for the segment of the population that will simply take it out twice a year to kill some cans, bump-fire into a berm, or show to buddies. There are a few examples of BMs staying together for serious courses (though most of them have have had upgrades and fixes), but they have a high comparative rate of failure (when compared to Colt, BCM, Noveske, KAC, LMT, and some others) due to their market focus and cost-cutting. For a few more dollars one can buy an AR with features that are more desirable to serious users. Whether or not one falls into that category and if the cash is worth it is solely up to them. Those that would suggest that BMs are on par with those higher quality weapons are misinformed and wrong, though it rarely actually results in silence or attempted education.

Sometimes it's just better to blink a few times, shake your head, and walk away. I have come to the conclusion that it's not worth the effort to educate the unwilling.

I am locking this down because it has been covered thoroughly and continued discussion tends to turn ugly.

Cheers
-F2S