PDA

View Full Version : Question about my new DD M4 clone

Doc Safari
10-05-10, 14:50
I just got my Daniel Defense model DDXV, and I was kind of surprised to find that it did not come from the factory with a forward sling swivel.

I'm guessing they mean this to be a basic model that you can accessorize to your heart's content, but I'm wanting to put some kind of sling swivel on it without having to replace the handguards with rails at this time.

Do I have any options other than the military sling swivel and rivet?

rykyard
10-05-10, 15:00
a BFG UWL is a good solution

500grains
10-05-10, 15:13
Personally I like single point slings because I can just drop the rifle and start eating a sandwich on a moment's notice.

You can put one of these on the receiver extension just behind the castle nut for 30 bucks:

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/193716000/193716836/pix775456750.jpg

Captain_America
10-05-10, 15:34
I'm in the same quandry Doc. I just got my DDXV Thursday. Obviously I could just attach a single point the rear mount which could be cool. The double point would be a bit more versatile though.

I've looked at the GG&G front sling thing, but I don't like the idea of the sling possibly pulling on the FSB. I know it's highly unlikely, but still, it is a vital area and stranger things have happened. I have MOE furniture on it, and my second thought was to mount a rail section to the left side of the hand guard. Sling mounts are damned expensive BTW. I could have bought like 18 picatinny sling mounts for what I paid for the whole rifle, what a deal. Not sure if this is strong enough either, probably though.

Is it possible to find the front sling mouth that goes under the FSB? Or maybe even one that mounts there but mounts it sideways? If anyone has other suggestions, I'd appreciate it too.

I guess in the meantime I might just pick up a quick release mount ($15 bucks isn't bad) and a decent quality single point. It's better than nothing for now.

Doc Safari
10-05-10, 15:48
Would it be advisable to loop a single point sling through the slots in the stock, or does that put undue weight on the stock and maybe damage it and/or the receiver extension over time?

Sorry if that's a stupid question but I've never had to deal with lack of a sling swivel before. :laugh:

Captain_America
10-05-10, 16:04
Would it be advisable to loop a single point sling through the slots in the stock, or does that put undue weight on the stock and maybe damage it and/or the receiver extension over time?

Sorry if that's a stupid question but I've never had to deal with lack of a sling swivel before. :laugh:

I'm pretty sure it gets done a lot. I see a lot of pics with the sling wrapped through the slots in the stock. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

Is the lower a DD? Mine came with the quick disconnect mounting hole on the rear of the lower.

Moose-Knuckle
10-05-10, 16:23
If I buy a production carbine I hate it when the manufacturer installs the traditional sling swivels as they are going to the first thing I ditch. DD and BCM are about the only two who get it right in this regard and offer carbines clean of some traditional features that the end user doesn't want to pay for in the first place.

jsbcody
10-05-10, 17:26
I use a Magpul Single Point sling clipped onto a Daniel Defense Quick Detach Sling mount which is attached to the rear receiver attachment point on my DDXV. I have ran it through a couple classes and training with no issues. If you really want to use a 2 point either use the Blue Force Gear UAL or switch out the handguards to Magpul Carbine MOE and put a section of rail and DD Quick Detach Sling/Rail Attachment on it.

subzero
10-05-10, 19:36
a BFG UWL is a good solution

Best answer. Allows remarkable flexibility in attachment locations.

Thoughts on different sling types: http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/carbine-slings/

Doc Safari
10-05-10, 20:03
Personally I like single point slings because I can just drop the rifle and start eating a sandwich on a moment's notice.

You can put one of these on the receiver extension just behind the castle nut for 30 bucks:

By "behind the castle nut" you mean between the castle nut and the buttstock, right?

That looks like a decent solution. I'll look for it on the DD website.

jsbcody
10-05-10, 20:08
By "behind the castle nut" you mean between the castle nut and the buttstock, right?

That looks like a decent solution. I'll look for it on the DD website.

Doc:

You shold already have an attachment point at the rear bottom of the Castle Nut. All you have to do is add a quick detachable sling mount.

Doc Safari
10-05-10, 20:14
I probably do. I've only had it out of the case twice. First thing I did was check the bolt carrier key staking and that was good to go.

I haven't had a chance to go over the rest of the rifle. I did notice the red loctite on the rear sight screw, though. Good thing I had planned on leaving that alone.

So I take it the roll pin to that sling mount fits into the slot in the castle nut, right?

It's been a long time since I owned an AR with a collapsible stock, so I'm not used to some of this.

Anybody use this? Can you post a pic of how it looks installed?

ucrt
10-05-10, 20:56

I've been using a 2-point with the GG&G FSB and the other point at the End Plate/Buffer Tube. The GG&G works OK but it clutters up the front of the gun. I'm waiting on a MOE HG and I intend to try a QD point at the rear of the HG, just in front of the Delta Ring.

Looks like some of the better railed HG's come with a QD point in that area already.

I think this will unclutter things considerably at the front end of the HG...but we'll see.

jsbcody
10-05-10, 21:55
I probably do. I've only had it out of the case twice. First thing I did was check the bolt carrier key staking and that was good to go.

I haven't had a chance to go over the rest of the rifle. I did notice the red loctite on the rear sight screw, though. Good thing I had planned on leaving that alone.

So I take it the roll pin to that sling mount fits into the slot in the castle nut, right?

It's been a long time since I owned an AR with a collapsible stock, so I'm not used to some of this.

Anybody use this? Can you post a pic of how it looks installed?

Yep, little circle to the rear and bottom of Castle Nut.

Magic_Salad0892
10-06-10, 06:51
I like CQD rear sling mount, and rail mounted KAC points.

Doc Safari
10-06-10, 09:01
What do you guys think of this one:

http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=40

Doc Safari
10-07-10, 09:13

Well, it appears I can't use this one because I can't see a hole at the rear of the castle nut for the roll pin. Guess that means I have a "commercial" buffer tube, right? Is that bad? I guess they did that as a cost-saving measure. Hope they didn't skimp on quality where it counts.

I think I'll just order the standard front sling swivel anyway. The whole point of getting the DD carbine that I did was to have a flat top receiver with a backup iron sight. I'm not sure I'll ever want tactical rails anyway.

orlanger
10-07-10, 09:35
If you have a factory built DDXV it does not have a commercial buffer tube, it will be mil-spec.

It will also have a standard receiver end plate and castle nut. If you want, you can remove the standard end plate and install the rear receiver QD swivel attachment point for a rear sling attachment.

A standard front sling swivel can be bought from Brownells or you can go with one of the QD varieties that will fit the existing attachment point.

Captain_America
10-07-10, 09:48
If you have a factory built DDXV it does not have a commercial buffer tube, it will be mil-spec.

It will also have a standard receiver end plate and castle nut. If you want, you can remove the standard end plate and install the rear receiver QD swivel attachment point for a rear sling attachment.

A standard front sling swivel can be bought from Brownells or you can go with one of the QD varieties that will fit the existing attachment point.

Factory built DDXV's also have the rear QD attachment.

orlanger
10-07-10, 10:09

The DDM4 XV EZ does yes. Early production XV's may have come with the rear QD attachment as well.

Doc Safari
10-07-10, 10:50

You're losing me, here. Pics? Mine looks like a standard castle nut, properly staked, and IIRC there is a hole or an indentation (I don't have the rifle in front of me) on the bottom of the receiver end plate facing rear. I may have to drag the rifle out to tell you for sure.

Is this hole for a QD swivel like you might use with a single point sling?

thopkins22
10-07-10, 11:03
You're losing me, here. Pics? Mine looks like a standard castle nut, properly staked, and IIRC there is a hole or an indentation (I don't have the rifle in front of me) on the bottom of the receiver end plate facing rear. I may have to drag the rifle out to tell you for sure.

Is this hole for a QD swivel like you might use with a single point sling?

You're all over it.;) http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/100_0707.jpg http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/100_0706.jpg http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr130/thopkins22/100_0708.jpg

Doc Safari
10-07-10, 11:08
That's cool. I'll have to look when I get a chance.

They didn't have that the last time I owned a shorty carbine. :blink:

That would solve a host of problems if I can just stick a QD swivel in that hole and be done.