PDA

View Full Version : Whats the next step?

shucky
10-05-10, 15:52
Before you all cringe, I bought this before I knew anything whatsoever about AR-15's, Other than how to lock, load & pull the trigger.

I currently own a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S, removed front and rear sights and replaced with a YHM front sight & a Matech rear & Eotech holo sight. Pulled out the BCG and replaced with Bravo Company BCG, per a friend.

Everything works great, no complaints. My question is, if I were going to improve the gun quality wise, what would be the next component to replace or where could/should I improve. Thanks!

lethal dose
10-05-10, 15:57
Shoot it until it dies and build something new. If you were really wanting to take it further, take the upper off, replace it with something top tier (lmt, bcm, noveske, dd, etc.), put your sights, optic, bcg, and charging handle in it and call it a day. Bcm middies are $389 right now.

Icculus
10-05-10, 15:58
Make sure the castle nut is staked and I'd say you are probably good to go. Ammo and training (going to my first training class in Nov so I can say that now and not feel like a hypocrite :D) If you are just itching for something to do...do you have a sling?

shucky
10-05-10, 16:36
Thanks for the response, sounds like great advice! Yes I have a sling, I believe its standard military issue. If its possible to see it in my avatar.

I suppose the upper is much more important than the lower at first, well it makes sense to me anyway. The part that really stinks is the flash suppressor is welded on, must have been part of then ban, I bought it about 4 years ago.

Magic_Salad0892
10-06-10, 07:54
Daniel Defence 14.5'' LW Midlength Barrel would be a good addition.

Ammunition would be better.

rob_s
10-06-10, 08:03
By replacing the BCG with a BCM you've addressed 75% of the functional issues with a BM. Make sure the receiver endplate is staked to the castle nut correctly and you'll address another 10%, have the chamber reamed to a correct 5.56 if you want to shoot Wolf and/or volumes of fire and you'll address another 15%.

BMs lack in other areas, but the above are the most likely to fail There are ways that other rifles are better, but better in ways that frankly most people would never appreciate.

Spend your money on ammo, magazines, and training and later on, much later, you can buy a better quality carbine and relegate the BM to backup duty.

shucky
10-06-10, 09:04
Thanks for the very good info, to all of you!

devildogljb
10-06-10, 12:29
Stake the castle nut and you should be good to go. As long as you changed out the bcg so that should be staked well. If you have the funds change out the barrel and if you have even more funds a new upper.

C-grunt
10-06-10, 12:37
If its running good Id say you are good to go. Bushmaster is also known for tight chambers so keep an eye on that, but not all have problems with it. My duty Bushy has had some parts problems but feeding and firing are not it.