PDA

View Full Version : 1X4 or?

Abull
10-06-10, 08:50
I am in the middle of assembling just one more AR and would like some input on scope choice. I currently have several rifles with rds so I thought I would do something different. I had my mind made up to mount a 1X4 but after some research I'm not sure that is the way to go. Here is why I'm not sure; this rifle will never be used in any cqb situation, only as a range gun shooting 100 yards to maybe 400 yards. Now I'm thinking I should go with a little more power. But I also don't want huge magnification, I have been looking at some 2X7 scopes and kind of think this may be the way to go. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ra2bach
10-06-10, 13:51
out to400 yds you'll definitely appreciate higher magnification. but back to square one, mission drives the gear. so, what's your intended use and possible anticipated uses.

if you're looking to make COM hits on man sized targets at 400, then you don't NEED anything more than 4x. if you're looking for the utmost precision at extended ranges, then yeah, more X's will make that easier but you'll pay the price closer in, though you've said you don't care about that.

I'm just not sure that given the level of accuracy inherent in the standard chrome lined M4 carbine, that you'll be pleased with the results unless you're ready to sink lots of bucks into the platform.

if you have multiple AR's, IMO, everyone should have one set up with a good 1-4 optic. while it doesn't do anything perfectly, it does a lot of things very well...