PDA

View Full Version : Now considering an M&P 40...recoil?

AR15thur
10-06-10, 12:33
EDITED TO ADD THE FOLLOWING:

In looking around at my options, I noted some posts saying that the M&P 40 was a much different beast than most other .40's. The only thing that ever turned me off of .40 was the increased recoil. But from what I'm reading it's one of the softer .40's on the market....

So adding to/changing the thread, what can the experienced tell me about the M&P .40 and its recoil and accuracy?

--------------------------------------------------------
OLDER POST:

For no really good reason, I'd like to pick up an M&P 45. I've been weighing the options between it and an USP45, but can't completely justify the extra expense of the gun, mags, and lack of available parts.
That's another thread though.

Really, my question is this:

I have nowhere near me to try out any of these pistols. I've only owned pistols in 9mm, but wanted to branch out a bit and try a bigger caliber. But the truth is, I've only ever fired an XD in .45.
Now most of you would say it's a moot point, but I do have wrist issues from too much time on the computer, and the wrong grip on the wrong gun has yielded a good deal of pain in the past.

So my question was this; in comparison to the othe available high-cap .45's, what is the recoil like on the M&P 45.

Also, I'm looking at the full-size or the "medium" size, not the compact.

C4IGrant
10-06-10, 12:43
For no really good reason, I'd like to pick up an M&P 45. I've been weighing the options between it and an USP45, but can't completely justify the extra expense of the gun, mags, and lack of available parts.

I have nowhere near me to try out any of these pistols. I've only owned pistols in 9mm, but wanted to branch out a bit and try a bigger caliber. But the truth is, I've only ever fired an XD in .45.
Now most of you would say it's a moot point, but I do have wrist issues from too much time on the computer, and the wrong grip on the wrong gun has yielded a good deal of pain in the past.

So my question was this; in comparison to the othe available high-cap .45's, what is the recoil like on the M&P 45.

I shoot the mid framed M&P 45. As a 1911 shooter (5") I can honestly say that the M&P is one of the nicest shooting 45's I have owned.

I have also found the M&P 45's to be the most accurate of ALL the M&P's.

C4

AR15thur
10-06-10, 13:02
I shoot the mid framed M&P 45. As a 1911 shooter (5") I can honest say that the M&P is one of the nicest shooting 45's I have owned.

C4

Sent you an IM on availability

GermanSynergy
10-06-10, 13:06
That's awesome, considering that my M&P 9's shoot like a house on fire! :D

I shoot the mid framed M&P 45. As a 1911 shooter (5") I can honest say that the M&P is one of the nicest shooting 45's I have owned.

C4

MarshallDodge
10-06-10, 13:15
I find the M&P45 recoil to be tame but it will be more than the 9mm version. Like Grant, I run the mid framed version.

The only issue I have had with mine is that it will not feed semi-wadcutters. It feeds ball and Winchester 230gr. Ranger-T without an issue.

MichaelD
10-06-10, 13:58
I've shot MarshallDodge's M&P45c and found it isn't much snappier than my full-size 9.

RogerinTPA
10-06-10, 14:27

C4

Agreed. My full size M&P45 is the mildest recoiling and most controllable .45 I've ever fired hands down.

stifled
10-06-10, 15:07
That's awesome, considering that my M&P 9's shoot like a house on fire! :D

:mad: Too soon!
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64009

:sarcastic:

I've only fired a few magazines through an M&P45, but compared to my M&P9 it has an appreciable but not significant difference in felt recoil. I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30%? The only .45 I've shot that was softer is my full size 1911 with steel frame and TLR rail, but it also weighs an extra pound or two (or 3...).

ralph
10-06-10, 18:24
I find the M&P45 recoil to be tame but it will be more than the 9mm version. Like Grant, I run the mid framed version.

The only issue I have had with mine is that it will not feed semi-wadcutters. It feeds ball and Winchester 230gr. Ranger-T without an issue.

That's odd..I have a mid-sized .45, and LSWC's are pretty much all I've fed it, In over 3000 rnds, The only feeding problems I've ever had was recently with some new mags I had, and have never used, But I don't consider that a feed problem, they just needed used and broken in. It should feed LSWC's without problems..

Jimgto67
10-06-10, 19:18
Definately get the M&P 45 over the USP45. I have both and the M&P is hands down better at least to me anyway. I like the trigger better and the grip has a great in the hand feel.

Watrdawg
10-06-10, 19:57
This may give you an idea about how mild the recoil is, relatively speaking that is. My 12 yr old son broke his right arm playing football 4 weeks ago. 2 weeks after breaking it we were at the range shooting my M&P 45 midsize. He wanted to shoot it but had to shoot it left handed, he is right handed, and use his right hand as the supporting hand. With it being in a cast he couldn't take a good grip at all. Even as a supporting grip it was basically just wrapping his fingers and thumb around the grip and his other hand. The cast was covering all of his palm. To make a long story short he ended up shooting close to a 100 rounds left handed and had no problems. He's not big by any means. 5ft and 120lbs. You should have no problem with the recoil.

macman37
10-06-10, 19:59
Nuts. I have a hankering for a M&P45 and this thread is NOT helping.

Robb Jensen
10-06-10, 20:01
My full-size M&P45 is the only .45 pistol my wife can tolerate shooting. My wife is very small and 5ft tall.

markm
10-06-10, 20:10
My full-size M&P45 is the only .45 pistol my wife can tolerate shooting. My wife is very small and 5ft tall.

My 10 yr old son is in love with my M&P 45 (full size). He shoots it pretty damned good too.

I have 1400 rounds through it and it's finally got a decent trigger to where I can shoot it one handed and out to 30-40 yards very confidently.

wl518
10-06-10, 20:44

I have wrist issues from working on the computer as well, but it has not affected me when i run my full size M&P 45. The recoil really isn't that bad at all, this coming from a guy with small hands. Yes the kick is quite noticeable from a 9, but its not dramatic enough to throw you completely off if you are a competent shooter. Your best bet is to find a range that allows rentals and try it out. You'll be surprised at how accurate the gun is in relation to recoil and groupings. Having shot a USP 45, I really think the gun is overrated for its price. If I was going to spend that much for a 45, I might as well pay a little extra for a decent1911. As far as parts go, S&W had a promo for 2 free mags or a $50 rebate, which was hooked me in picking up a M&P.

DoomOnYou
10-06-10, 20:51
Im sold now. Now i just got to get the money and a buyers permit. :) I've been looking at pistols for a while now and haven't really decided on one. I hear more and more about MP. Not to mention i have a MP15 and couldn't be happier with my first EVER gun/rifle purchase. So i think i can honestly say im going for a MP.45. Going to take forever to raise the funds for it though. Damn minimum wage jobs.

Hunter Rose
10-06-10, 22:12
Not sure what your price limit is, but if considering HK skip the USP45 and look at the HK45. Very soft shooting 45, excellent HK reliability, and great ergonomics. Head and tails above the USP45 Spare parts are overated.

It's a definitely more expensive than an M&P though, so that might be a factor.

dc202
10-07-10, 00:24
In agreement with the others. I have an HK45C and it sits in the safe since I bought the full size M&P 45.
It is very controllable and has been very reliable through the first 500 rounds. With the 14 round optional mag, it competes with my G22 (with a 22 round mag) for the bedside companion. Personally, I think the stock trigger in the recently manufactured specimens is fine. I see no reason to spend extra on the Apex setup, but that is just my opinion.

Beat Trash
10-07-10, 11:42
Im sold now. Now i just got to get the money and a buyers permit. :)

No offense, but when I read this, my first reaction was to look at the right side of your post to see what country you were from. I was not aware that one had to get a permit in Michigan to buy a gun.

In Ohio a "buyers permit" is telling your wife what you came home with when you only set off to buy a gallon of milk!

The only issue with the M&P 45 is deciding which size to get. I thought I was set on the mid size until I handled a compact....

Watrdawg
10-07-10, 11:52
In NC you have to have a permit to Purchase a handgun also. A permit to purchase is not a permit to carry or registration either. I hear a lot of people here say that they have a registered handgun or a permit to carry when what they had a permit to purchase. Now if you have a CCW you do not need a permit to purchase or have to go through a back ground check at all when you purchase.

Beat Trash
10-07-10, 11:59
Not to side track the topic, but I had no idea states outside of NY and Mass. required permits just to buy a handgun. Thanks for the info.

AR15thur
10-09-10, 20:50
Bump for thread title and partial subject change :D

DocGKR
10-09-10, 23:27
AR15thur: If you have wrist issues, already have a supply of 9 mm ammunition, are not routinely engaging suspects inside vehicles, and do not live in a state that restricts magazine capacity to 10 rounds or less, there is NO reason for you to go with a different caliber handgun and several very good reasons to stay with 9 mm. I would much rather see you own 2-3 (one to beat on in training, one to carry daily, and perhaps one to serve as back-up/home defense) good quality, identically configured 9 mm pistols like the 3rd gen G19/17, M&P9, P30 and spend the rest of your time and money on getting outstanding training and extensive practice. There is NO need to own a bunch of different handguns in various flavors and a lot of reasons to avoid that trap; instead strive to master your primary handgun of choice and you may find that it saves your life one day.

JHC
10-10-10, 11:52
AR15thur: If you have wrist issues, already have a supply of 9 mm ammunition, are not routinely engaging suspects inside vehicles, and do not live in a state that restricts magazine capacity to 10 rounds or less, there is NO reason for you to go with a different caliber handgun and several very good reasons to stay with 9 mm. I would much rather see you own 2-3 (one to beat on in training, one to carry daily, and perhaps one to serve as back-up/home defense) good quality, identically configured 9 mm pistols like the 3rd gen G19/17, M&P9, P30 and spend the rest of your time and money on getting outstanding training and extensive practice. There is NO need to own a bunch of different handguns in various flavors and a lot of reasons to avoid that trap; instead strive to master your primary handgun of choice and you may find that it saves your life one day.

Read it, learn it, live it. Huge wisdom there. Had I only grasped this this 30 years ago . . . easily $20K better spent.