PDA

View Full Version : Mountain House Freeze Dried Food

C4IGrant
10-06-10, 13:15
Anyone use this companies products?

http://www.mountainhouse.com/

A friend of mine says that they are fantastic.

Are they considered the best or one of the best out there?

C4

chris914
10-06-10, 13:20
It is edible. It really depends on what it is you try. I would suggest trying a couple when you don't have to live on it and seeing if you think it will work. We took some camping a few years back. I don't remember which ones. Like I said it is edible. Better than the C-rations I had when I was growing up.

jasonhgross
10-06-10, 13:21
Grant, I havent's sampled all of them, but the Mountain House does in fact taste very good. Its what I have in my bug out bag. Taste, consistency, ect were all very good. I particularly remember the lasagne being very palatable. Hope that helps.

Ga Shooter
10-06-10, 14:03
I have used a lot of their priducts and I think it is very good for what it is. Not as good as fresh made but as good as cheap take out. I have never tried their wraps (I have never seen those before.) It depends on what you want to do with them. Comparable in ease to MREs but they also have big cans for disaster planning which comes out pretty cheap compared to others.

C4IGrant
10-06-10, 14:25
I have used a lot of their priducts and I think it is very good for what it is. Not as good as fresh made but as good as cheap take out. I have never tried their wraps (I have never seen those before.) It depends on what you want to do with them. Comparable in ease to MREs but they also have big cans for disaster planning which comes out pretty cheap compared to others.

Thanks.

I am looking at long term food shortage and want to have an option for a family of 4 (like a years supply).

Am currently looking into a dealer account with them and will post what I find out.

C4

Mikey
10-06-10, 14:58
I like it. The chili Mac with Beef is awesome.

Some of their food tastes off but it is still pretty good when you don't have anything else to eat out in the woods.

Mike

Von Rheydt
10-06-10, 14:58
Mr Grant,

Used MH privately and in the military. Its fine if you know normal food is coming your way soon..........but for a year?

If its for your pesonal use you should consider the basic staples: Flour; sugar; powdered milk; rice; porridge oats; salt. These can be bought by the sack in C*stc* for a few $. The basics allow you to bake and make bread, pancakes, dumplings and provide rice as a carbo staple.

To the basics you add tinned meats, fruits, vegetables, good powdered egg if you can find it and basically whatever else fits your taste.

Littlelebowski
10-06-10, 14:59
It's one of the better of its kind. Supplement with vitamins, and just add extras every time you go grocery shopping. Buy double of one to a few items every time you shop.

stifled
10-06-10, 15:33
I tried some with my friend who bought some sort of variety pack to figure out what he wanted to buy in bulk. The ones I tried were all rather good for freeze dried food.

I think for something like this you are better off to get as much variety as possible though. Eat the same 3 things for a month and you'll be ready to fight the next person you see for some beef jerky.

C4IGrant
10-06-10, 15:35
Mr Grant,

Used MH privately and in the military. Its fine if you know normal food is coming your way soon..........but for a year?

If its for your pesonal use you should consider the basic staples: Flour; sugar; powdered milk; rice; porridge oats; salt. These can be bought by the sack in C*stc* for a few $. The basics allow you to bake and make bread, pancakes, dumplings and provide rice as a carbo staple.

To the basics you add tinned meats, fruits, vegetables, good powdered egg if you can find it and basically whatever else fits your taste.

Looking to be able to move around a lot and have a reliable food option.

Do I want to eat it for a year? No way. Might I have too?????

C4

Ga Shooter
10-06-10, 15:36
Thanks.

I am looking at long term food shortage and want to have an option for a family of 4 (like a years supply).

Am currently looking into a dealer account with them and will post what I find out.

C4

Keep me posted because that is what I like to put with my emergency supplies (both large and small).

Thanks

Heavy Metal
10-06-10, 16:15
Grant,

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11539429&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|3605&N=4040913&Mo=29&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=75277&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

My understanding is this is re-labeled Mountain House and the special they are running till the 10th is quite good.

This stuff has a shelf-life of over 30 years ina number 10 can.

Von Rheydt
10-06-10, 16:22
Looking to be able to move around a lot and have a reliable food option.

Do I want to eat it for a year? No way. Might I have too?????

C4

I know what you mean, but you should consider adding some staples to your mobile pantry. At the very least they'll make a change.

You should also consider 18 months worth if it is for a SHTF pantry. If it all goes pear shaped at the start of the annual crop cycle realistically there will be nothing till the end of the following years crop cycle.

dennisuello
10-06-10, 16:51
This is what we got (6 month supply) - http://www.dailybread.com/ The sample we got tasted very good.

762xIan
10-06-10, 17:33
Mountain House has had a very good reputation in the "survival" community for years. They were a pretty good secret for a while, but with more folks prepping, they have gone more mainstream.

I highly recommend small quantity buying and trying first.

As was mentioned the chili mac is good, I also like the beef stew.

I would also recommend hooking up with a few folks in your AO and making a larger purchase, usually you can save a bit buying a larger quantity.

C4IGrant
10-06-10, 19:15
MTNHouse has come back to us with a dealer application.

Can you say Group Buy?

C4

Heavy Metal
10-06-10, 19:37

Can you say Group Buy?

C4

Let me know when Dawg and I am down with it!:D

Littlelebowski
10-06-10, 19:56

Can you say Group Buy?

C4

A firearms dealer moving into preparedness supplies seems like a natural progression to me and very handy for your customers.

Ak44
10-06-10, 20:29
Their chow aint bad at all. I would eat that stuff as opppose to MRE's. The lasagna is pretty good.

C4IGrant
10-06-10, 20:31
A firearms dealer moving into preparedness supplies seems like a natural progression to me and very handy for your customers.

Agree. I just wonder if they will agree.

C4

motorwerks
10-06-10, 20:52
I have only had a couple of the mountain house foods. Go with Stews and Chili type stuff. I had the Chicken breast and while it was pretty damned good, I had a hard time getting over the fact that I just had to add water to make it back into a chicken breast. The mashed potatoes that were with it were REALLY good though.

My local gun store just started carrying Thrive. I have sampled a few things and its pretty good. But I have only had some of the fruits. Here's the local guys page...

http://www.sacramentoblackrifle.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Thrive&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Ga Shooter
10-06-10, 21:55

Can you say Group Buy?

C4

Count me in!!!!

motorwerks
10-07-10, 01:35
Count me in!!!!

me as well.

pilotguyo540
10-07-10, 07:55
I have been eyeballing this stuff for the past year.

Count me in too Grant!

Rmplstlskn
10-07-10, 09:13

Can you say Group Buy?

Grant, you will find MH not supportive of any GROUP BUYS... There was a survival forum that used to have great group buy deals on MH but the other dealers pitched a fit to MH that these people were selling MH below... far below the MSRP that they were asked to abide by. So MH pulled the plug and stipulated MSRP be maintained by ALL wholesale buyers.

Being in the firearm industry, I think you know how common this is. There are ways around it, like free shipping or bonus items, but MH does not play well with others looking to help people get this stuff as cheap as possible.

If you were just looking for YOUR needs, it would be easier to just wait for a sale by someone who sells it already, and there are many who do, so competition will be stiff. Some vendors sell 1-Year KITS that are much more well-balanced and equipped for those who do not have the knowledge or time to put together their own 1-yr kit. It takes a lot of thought to make sure you have EVERYTHING needed to sustain life for 1 year... Just cans of MH will not cut it...

That said, MH has some of the best items out there and MOST are pretty decent.... and would be like heaven in a true survival situation. But there are other freeze-dried and dehydrated vendors that also make great stuff too...

Rmpl

C4IGrant
10-07-10, 09:27
Grant, you will find MH not supportive of any GROUP BUYS... There was a survival forum that used to have great group buy deals on MH but the other dealers pitched a fit to MH that these people were selling MH below... far below the MSRP that they were asked to abide by. So MH pulled the plug and stipulated MSRP be maintained by ALL wholesale buyers.

Being in the firearm industry, I think you know how common this is. There are ways around it, like free shipping or bonus items, but MH does not play well with others looking to help people get this stuff as cheap as possible.

If you were just looking for YOUR needs, it would be easier to just wait for a sale by someone who sells it already, and there are many who do, so competition will be stiff. Some vendors sell 1-Year KITS that are much more well-balanced and equipped for those who do not have the knowledge or time to put together their own 1-yr kit. It takes a lot of thought to make sure you have EVERYTHING needed to sustain life for 1 year... Just cans of MH will not cut it...

That said, MH has some of the best items out there and MOST are pretty decent.... and would be like heaven in a true survival situation. But there are other freeze-dried and dehydrated vendors that also make great stuff too...

Rmpl

Thanks for the input.

We are the master of the group buy, so no worries on "playing the game." ;)

C4

RiggerGod
10-07-10, 21:42
Grant, et al,
Looking forward to see what you all come up with for MH. I am very interested in doing some bulk purchases of freeze dried meat, fruit, and veggies to supplement some of our bulk storage staples.

I also have to strongly agree with Von Rheydts suggestion about supplementing MH stuff with some basic bulk staples, canned goods, hunted/gathered foods, etc. It's likely far more cost effective option and (with a little forethought) should provide better nutrition all the way around.

Ak44
10-07-10, 21:51
Looking forward to a Group Buy if it happens...Grant have you tried their Granola w/ Blueberry (deeeeelicious).

chadbag
10-08-10, 00:41
Thanks.

C4

For what it is it is one of the top brands AFAIU. I have used it hiking etc. Very good. I would not want to live off it for a year by itself.

Another forum I used to frequent had some people who were dealers for them and they passed the savings on to the forum members as they were not trying to profit from it. More like a buying club. They eventually had to give up the dealership since too many other dealers complained. I am not saying that that is what you want to do. Just an indication that they are strict on policy and pricing...

I was going to supplement our food storage with a month or two worth or this a few years ago but had to cancel due to some financial issues. I would still like to get it or similar for a month or two worth of food. That combined with our grains, our canned foods (including foods made for long term storage -- not normal canned food like the grocery store plus our normally rotated supply of normal canned goods that we use and replenish regularly but have a good amount of ahead), etc would get us through.

I have bought things like the canned meats, butter, and cheese that will last for years from http://www.mredepot.com/ (I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer). It is worth it to get on their mail list as they often have special and sales and special codes they announce through the mail list.

C4IGrant
10-08-10, 09:34
I agree on not wanting to live off this stuff for a year. I am a "worst case scenario" kind of guy. This is why I train and take training on all the common and not so common firearms.

C4

Rmplstlskn
10-08-10, 10:51
Something to think about...

My tests, and others on the net, show that canned goods, regular supermarket stuff, last a LONG TIME properly stored. I have had cans of chicken, turkey, tuna, fruits and veggies that were over 4 years old without any problems... Not even that bad tasting either...

So having canned goods for a whole year is very do-able and cheap compared to MH stuff (I own a bunch of MH too, just in case)...

Two scenarios:
BUG OUT / MOBILE: Freeze-dried POUCHES rule here... #10 cans are bulky, so not very mobile.

BUG IN / RETREAT: Canned goods and pailed STAPLES (wheat, grains, rice, beans, etc...) are the BEST bang for the buck. Buy what you use! Rotate! Add MH and other SPECILAIZED stuff as funds allow...

Rmpl

Huntindoc
10-08-10, 16:01
Dennis,
If I can ask, How much was the 6 mo supply?
I worry when someone won't post the cost online.

Allen

Beat Trash
10-10-10, 14:41
I was heavy into preparedness a few years ago, until my divorce. Still have some Mt. House floating around.

The Mt. House is good for what it is designed for. Things to look at are they're heavy in salt content, and a little light on the calorie content per serving.

The advantages are the light weight and shelf life. The #10 cans, once opened, should be used soon, as the shelf life only applies for the unopened cans.

The #10 cans are good for long term food supplies. The backpacking pouches are good for a hurricane kit or a BOB. They make 72 hour food kits in a neat cardboard box, that is made up of the pouches. These make nice gifts for relatives who kinda sorta want to have something set aside. (It's much easier to gift wrap the boxes vs. the pouches also).

While I wouldn't want to live off of Mt. House, solely, for a year, it'd be nice to have a years supply of Mt. House that you could augment with what fresh food or canned food you might come across.

Grant, there's nothing wrong with being a "worst case scenario kind of guy". Hope for the best, but plan for the worst...

NavyDavy55
10-10-10, 19:10
MH is good stuff. I had to deplete my supply when I was laid-off for awhile. Stocking back up now.

The Chili Mac with Beef and Beef Stew are my favorites.

sdw308
10-11-10, 19:44
Never tried the Mt. House. I thought the gov't issue MREs were pretty good myself

Ak44
10-11-10, 19:46
The only thing MRE's have up on MH imo is that you can eat it cold and without water. With that said I prefer MH over MRE's. But would eat either if the situation is bad.

Rmplstlskn
10-11-10, 20:31
Never tried the Mt. House. I thought the gov't issue MREs were pretty good myself

They are good all in all, just heavy due to water content. Freeze-dried are much lighter for the same bulk.

Rmpl

Pardoner
10-11-10, 21:17
Thanks for the input.

We are the master of the group buy, so no worries on "playing the game." ;)

C4

I participated in a couple of the other group buys for MTN House stuff. They were pretty much selling it at their cost plus 5% to cover their time.

They got MTN House to drop ship the stuff to the buyers with a min order size.

The group buys were easily $100k at a time.

If MTN House is hurting for business, I am sure they would like to see those days again, but a lot of dealers started to complain. The couple running the group buys were trying to help people get their supply going.

MTH House food is great stuff. Great shelf life, just put it aside and forget about it. Don't have to mess with rotation.

It is just out of my price range at normal retail prices. If I could get the group buy pricing like that again, I would do what some people were doing and buy a pallet of the stuff.

K.L. Davis
10-12-10, 00:38
Grant,

I sell MH as well as other foods, but it is kind of a sideline to the stuff I like to do more. MH is the leader in freeze-dried foods and they really are pretty tasty. That said, when I set people with a year or so of foods, I like to explain to them what the different types are and why they want some of each.

In a nut shell:

Freeze-Dried is exactly that, the food is frozen and then put in a vacuum, as the vacuum drops it hits the point of sublimation and the ice crystal pass directly to gaseous state. The remaining moisture level in the food is very low and the product will last a long time.

Advantages - Lightweight, stores a loooong time, retains nutritional value and prepares quickly; just add hot water and stir, ready in a few minutes. Freeze-Drying offers a wide variety of foods and is the best method for long term storage of meats.

Disadvantages - The process is expensive, and therefore, so is the food.

Dehydrated is, well drying foods with a low heat... folks have been doing it for years.

Advantages - Less bulk than freeze dried and usually much cheaper. Stores for a long time.

Disadvantages - Not as wide a variety in the menu and generally requires "cooking" to prepare - dehydrated foods often have to be heated in water for 20 minutes or so.

That last part is kind of an advantage in some ways, lots of dehydrated stores are bulk foods used for cooking and can (with the right chef) be quite good. Yes, we have at least a few meals a month from freeze-dried or dehydrated foods.

Okay... so in addition to the above, there are "ready to eat" foods; those that do not need water. We all know MREs, they are certainly good but do not have the shelf life that a lot of people think, and are very bulky. I like to get the Pocket Sandwiches by the case, these are great for the amount of nutrition vs. size and weight.

And of course, there is store bought canned foods and bulk packed grains, rice and pasta...

The trick it to keep a balance of all of the above... each has its advantages and disadvantages. When properly picked out, a one year supply of food does not take up much room and really does not cost that much.

A tip for all buyers: Read the labels! There are some shady companies out there and if you look at what they call six months worth of meals, it only offers about 600 calories a day at that rationing! Learn what foods you like, sample some... think about living on it for a year. Write down a list, make a long term menu, have it looked over by someone that knows nutrition.

Just some thoughts....

NavyDavy55
10-12-10, 07:04
This is a good source for civilian MRE's.

They are quite tasty.

They even have tray packs for your entire squad.

http://www.longlifefood.com/default.asp

BBossman
10-13-10, 15:25
I am up for some MH group buy goodness. I was in a group buy 5 years ago and stocked enough for 2 people for 30 days. I did an experiment about 2 years ago and lived off of MH products for week. Breakfast/lunch/dinner, and looked forward to each meal. I still bust open a pouch of Beef Stroganoff every now and again because I love that stuff.

kihnspiracy
10-13-10, 15:47
Grant, count me in if you do a group buy. We love MH meals.

punkkin
10-13-10, 17:57
They are good for what they are. I don't think I'd call any I've had delicious though.

Ferris2son
10-17-10, 03:36
Thanks.

C4

Please include me in your group.
Thanks

Irish
10-17-10, 12:02
Grant - I'm in for a group buy if you can make it happen. Thanks!

moonshot
10-31-10, 14:58
Grant,

Mountain House is great! I've tried most of their products (except the new wraps), and I've yet to taste one I didn't like. I have stayed away from the seafood options and anything uncooked.

My personal preference is for those items lower in sodium and cholesterol and higher in vegatables.

Noodles and Chickem, Beef Stew, Beef with Vegatables, Orental Spicy Chicken, Chicken and Beef Teriyaki, Sweet and Sour Pork are some of my personal favorites.

Most call for two cups of water per serving. I have found that is a little high for my taste - 1.5 cups per serving makes for a better consistancy.

Adding a little hot sauce or salsa helps a lot, but isn't necessary.

I have #10 cans for bug-in supply and pouches for my BOB kit. A couple of MH pouches (including Granola and Blue Berries for b-fast), Mayday/Mainstay bars, water, a jetboil and some hot sauce make for some surprisingly tasty meals. Add some powdered fruit juice mix, instant hot chocolate and instant coffee, and hunger shouldn't be a problem (at least until it runs out). The biggest thing to keep in mind is calorie count. Most "servings" are a little light in calories. You either need to increase the meals or add the energy bars.

One thing I really like about MH is all you need do is add water. Your body needs water. Some people like to have uncooked noodle dishes (spegetti, for example) in their cache. The problem is, it takes a lot of fuel and a lot of water to cook the noodles. When done, you have noodles for your meal and starchy water not really fit for drinking, or even washing. I prefer my food to absorbe all the water used in preperation. That way, nothing is wasted. Two cups of water to reconstitute dinner and you've still consumed two cups of water. Your body won't know, or care, that the water was in the meal rather than in a cup.

As for a group buy? When can I sign up?

John W
11-01-10, 16:15
I enjoy mountain house foods. Just shy away from the Chicken Terrygon and your good to go.

Oh and be sure to add in a chocolate malt desert for yourself, it is pudding style and incredibly delicious!

moonshot
11-01-10, 18:47
Actually, now that I think about it, deserts are the one category of food I don't think MH does well. My opinion only.

npmako
11-02-10, 03:18
Grant,
I have a barn full of Nitrogen Packed canned food that my grandpa bought for use in "the event". Its 20years old but is labeled as a 100yr shelf life. You want a pallet?

01tundra
11-02-10, 10:39
That's all I ever take camping.....those and my Jetboil and I'm hooked up. The chili mac kicks arse.....I could live off that stuff :p!

Jake'sDad
11-02-10, 12:28
Another thumbs up for MH. I opened some after 20 years. Still tasted good enough to eat.

And yeah, MH does go after internet discounters. I was buying from a guy on Eb*y until they clamped down on him.

Jake'sDad
11-02-10, 12:29
Grant,
I have a barn full of Nitrogen Packed canned food that my grandpa bought for use in "the event". Its 20years old but is labeled as a 100yr shelf life. You want a pallet?

100 years?

Does it have a guarantee in case it only lasts 75 or 80?

:rolleyes:

npmako
11-02-10, 19:22
I honestly have no idea. It is simply freeze dried food that has been placed in a can purged with nitrogen.
I tried making split pea soup with the peas a couple years ago and they took a WHILE to rehydrate. All in all they were pretty good.
Just thinking that its about time I relocate some of the 24 pallets of this stuff.

Jake'sDad
11-02-10, 20:00
Haven't seen 100 year shelf life claimed on any of the freeze dried food I've looked at.

Better look for the receipt, in case it ends up going bad after only 75 or 80......

npmako
11-03-10, 19:58
I have an email out to confirm.
The product is called "the simpler life" and was produced by
Arrowhead Mills Inc. out of Hereford TX.

maximus83
11-03-10, 20:38
If you are looking at large volume, long-term survival scenarios, it's definitely worth checking out:

http://www.foodinsurance.com

These guys are among the best IMO. They have the portable options with pouches (7-10 yr life) and the long-term bug-in options with the cans (25 yr life). They also have a group-rate deal on their site for large groups.

The stuff doesn't come cheap. The 1-year package for a family of 5 runs about $6300, without factoring in the group buy program.

http://foodinsurance.com/store/long-term-solutions/2528-meals.html?SID=0473ff89b12a08a0772e968b8420c464

Ak44
11-03-10, 20:58
If you are looking at large volume, long-term survival scenarios, it's definitely worth checking out:

These guys are among the best IMO. They have the portable options with pouches (7-10 yr life) and the long-term bug-in options with the cans (25 yr life). They also have a group-rate deal on their site for large groups.

The stuff doesn't come cheap. The 1-year package for a family of 5 runs about $6300, without factoring in the group buy program.

http://foodinsurance.com/store/long-term-solutions/2528-meals.html?SID=0473ff89b12a08a0772e968b8420c464

Just saw a review on them on Youtube, some of the components of the Food Insurance kit comes from Mountain House...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJbaD_5hhIk

Pardoner
11-03-10, 22:31

Still not enough useful information. They are playing the serving game. An average MTN House "SERVING" is about 300 calories.

And they are stating that you should eat 2 "SERVINGS" a day!?

Even if you double that, it would be 1200 calories/day. That sure is one hell of a diet!

maximus83
11-04-10, 09:38
Still not enough useful information. They are playing the serving game. An average MTN House "SERVING" is about 300 calories.

Well there's the guidance that a company gives about how much to eat, and then there's the actual storage and the food itself. In general when I buy emergency rations, I'm mostly concerned about the quality of the food and the storage. I'll decide how many calories my family is going to need each day, and how much to buy as a result of that.

maximus83
11-04-10, 09:39
Just saw a review on them on Youtube, some of the components of the Food Insurance kit comes from Mountain House...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJbaD_5hhIk

Yes, they assemble their kits from a variety of products. One of the companies linked earlier in this thread uses a similar approach, and it looks like some similar meals and products:

www.dailybread.com/

Ferris2son
11-04-10, 13:23
My philosophy has been to keep a solid supply of "comfort food" in the Bug-in, hunker-down location and hardcore nutrition bars like Mayday in my Bug-out, get the hell out bags.
My belief is that a nice hot MH chilimac is great, but I'd better have some boring lemon flavored high nutrition supplememts to make sure everyone is properly nourished during what will likely be a very high stressed situation.
I think it is a mistake to use one approach. To that end I have MH, canned meats and fruit and Mayday bars. I rotate the canned food and resupply Mayday every 6-8 years. Don't throw away anything. You can barter with expired items if needed.

taylodr
11-06-10, 12:03
Wow... I have wondered about MH for a while, and went to Walmart today. The Chili Mac was totally sold out - went by REI on the way home and got a pack. Had it for lunch... I would eat that any time. It was REALLY good. If their other stuff is as good as that, I will buying lots of these.

motorwerks
11-08-10, 04:05
sweat and sour pork...... wasn't great. It would work if there wasn't anything else though.

Jake'sDad
11-08-10, 09:39
sweat and sour pork...... wasn't great. It would work if there wasn't anything else though.

Sweaty sour pork doesn't even sound good.......;)

motorwerks
11-08-10, 13:09
Sweaty sour pork doesn't even sound good.......;)

yeah sorry about that..... Sweet... it may as well have been Sweaty though it was pretty bad. I have the Chili here at the house too, I may give that a try sometime this week.

rsgard
11-08-10, 14:35
any word on group buy?

moonshot
11-08-10, 15:09
I think the sweet & sour pork is one of their better offerings (especially with a little hot peach salsa on top). Good thing they have options.

On a related note, just what happens after the shelf life is met (7 years for the pouches, 25 years for the #10 cans). Does it remain edible, but less nutricious and less tasty, or does it become dangerous to eat and should be destroyed?

Same question for energy bars such as Mayday/Mainstay after the 5 year shelf life is met.

I too am looking forward to a group buy.

Pardoner
11-09-10, 20:39
Yes, they assemble their kits from a variety of products. One of the companies linked earlier in this thread uses a similar approach, and it looks like some similar meals and products:

www.dailybread.com/

I just got a sample from dailybread.com.

It is made my Oregon Freeze Dry. They are the same company that makes Mountain House.

I was hoping for a less expensive alternative to Mtn House, buy these guys don't seem to be it.

I find it incredibly misleading and down right dishonest that none of their literature or website lists calorie content at all.

They have a 2 entrees/day and a 3 entrees/day plan. If they are like the 300 calorie serving sizes they sent me, I doubt I would survive the 3 months on their plan.

The best people I have seen so far is beprepared.com. They clearly give you the calorie count per day on their plans.

jjw
11-10-10, 09:58
[QUOTE=C4IGrant;777889]Thanks.

Grant: we store a lot of it. got into it during y-2-k frenzy. like anything else if u like a food u will like mountain house. if u don't -- u wont. , i.e. i love pasta in any cream sauce, throw in a can of chicken and i am Gtg. not much of a tomato sauce guy. not fond of theirs but could do it. i hate carrots theirs also. u need to find what the kids will eat by giving them some.

i find their products better than any competitors. some things i would not eat from any other vendor but i COULD eat theirs in a pinch. i.e. egg dishes.

best in the business

b.l.

kac
11-10-10, 19:25
Just had the eggs with pepper and sausage out on the Appalachian Trail this weekend. Wasn't bad at all.

El Mac
11-11-10, 23:33
Their chow aint bad at all. I would eat that stuff as opppose to MRE's. The lasagna is pretty good.

Anyday of the week!

mike_556
11-13-10, 08:34
Interested in what Grant can do about a group buy! ;)

ghost762
11-13-10, 09:29
I eat them all the time on backpacking trips. Of the freeze dried companies they have the best tasting menu.

C4

556mp
11-13-10, 21:10
...Things to look at are they're heavy in salt content, and a little light on the calorie content per serving..

I have used Mountain House for a while during backpacking trips on the Appalachian Trail. They do taste very good for what they are, but if you become very hungry and eat way more than the serving size, you will definitely feel the salt content later on and the next morning.

As an example:

Chicken and Rice (One of my favorites)
If you eat the whole pouch (2 servings)
Sodium: 2160mg
Calories: 820
Calories from fat: 260
Cholesterol: 30mg
Carbohydrates: 124g
Protein: 20g

Mountain House Nutrition Information (http://www.mountainhouse.com/nutr.cfm)

In moderation, or mixed with other foods this would be ok. But as an only source of sustenance by choice, personally, I would not do that. Also remember that you'll need to pack water or have a reliable purification system, where as canned foods do not need added water. So, don't forget to count that into the weight as well.
Don't get me wrong, dried foods do have their purpose though.

91Bravo
11-18-10, 17:54
I ate MH food on two 30 day trips to the California Sierra Nevada. I liked it quite well. More so than the few MRE's we carried the first year. Put me down as interested in a group buy but I don't want a year. No more than 30 days supply.

Note that the first year we followed MH's recommendation of "serves two" and lost considerable weight. We were carrying 40 lb packs up and down 10-12,000 foot passes so we were burning up calories at a good pace. The next year we ignored the "serves two" and each of us ate one "serves two" at a single meal. Yes that doubled our cost and carry weight but we felt we performed better the next year.

When we ordered our food we basically ordered one or more of each flavor and didn't find any bad ones.

moonshot
12-28-10, 00:18
This thread has been kind of quiet for a while. Grant, any further info on a potential group buy?

npmako
12-28-10, 18:10
If you're a REI member,
Every time they have a sale, Mountain House products have lately been included at heavily discounted prices. Its worth a look.

www.rei.com

moonshot
12-28-10, 22:01
REI only carries the pouches - single meals, meals for two, and the 72 hour kits. They do not carry any #10 cans.

Cabellas and Gander Mountain both carry #10 cans, but the selection is very limited, and Gander Mt is very expensive.

npmako
12-29-10, 11:58
Gander Mountain expensive?
Is $59.99 a little steep for a M&P9 magazine?

500grains
01-17-11, 11:40

C4

I have used them on backpacking trips. They are easy to carry, easy to prepare with hot water, and they taste better than the other brands that I have tried. However, I would still rather cook up some minute rice, hot chocolate, and a small steak during the first 2 days of the trip.

mildot
01-17-11, 12:48
I'm definitely interested in the Group Buy?
Can these be heated up like a MRE?
I'd be game for a 30 day supply?

Just a "side bar" Grant would you be interested in looking into these MRE's? Group buy idea as well?
SOPAKCO SurePak 12 Meals, Ready to Eat
(MRE's) WITH Heaters
Right now the going rate is $80 a case with free UPS ground shipping.
Just a thought BTW

jdub75
01-17-11, 13:21
check out
www.theepicenter.com
they stock a TON of MH products, bulk and packs. They also have amazing CS--if you call, you actually get (in my exp) a lady that knows the products and can make excellent recommendations.

John W
01-17-11, 14:30
There are rumors going around that MH is very low on inventory due to large purchases by customers (possibly fed).

Can anyone confirm?

Mountain House Food Alert, None Available, 92% Dealers Cut

January 13, 2010
Steve Quayle

Having been one of the largest freeze dried food dealers in the U.S. for a number of years, I can tell you that this event is ominous. There are less than a dozen freeze drying food production facilities of consequence in the U.S. of which Mountain House is the largest. I was contacted late Wednesday night by one of their major dealers. He stated that Mountain House only had 4 entrees of foil packaged food available in their warehouse. They informed my dealer friend that "It was only going to get worse"!

They would not confirm how much the U.S. govt. was buying but, it was my friend's opinion that "they pretty much bought it all"! I would strongly suggest that given the dire harvest reports and weather wars now underway, you speed up and add to your existing food supplies ASAP. Flooding, fires, blizzards and locusts, not to mention flash freezing coupled with historic snowfall in areas that don't get snow, should be a massive kick in the pants to get going in adding provisions and acquiring additional emergency items.

Link: http://stevequayle.com/News.alert/11_Global/110113.alert.Mtn.House.html

recon
01-17-11, 21:34
This might just a start a panic buying for other company's that sell these kind of foods.

CLHC
01-17-11, 22:07
That's interesting. But also noted that the letter's dated January 13, 2010(?)

recon
01-17-11, 22:38
Update.

John W
01-18-11, 14:36
Think it was meant to be 2011.. Good eye on the update Recon.

As you know we have removed #10 cans from our website temporarily. The reason for this is sales of #10 cans have continued to increase. OFD is allocating as much production capacity as possible to this market segment, but we must maintain capacity for our other market segments as well.
Currently we are able to meet demand for Mountain House pouches and most of these products are still available for purchase on our website. We do have a small number of dealers that we will continue to make and ship #10 cans to and you will need to contact them directly to place an order. For a list of dealers, please contact us at MH-Info@ofd.com
We want to clarify inaccurate information that is being said on the internet, news and radio. This situation is not due to sales to the government domestically or internationally. We do sell products to this market, but we also sell other market segments, including Ingredient and Private Brand markets. The reason for this decision is solely due to an unexpected sales spike in #10 cans sales.
We expect this situation to be necessary for several months although this isn’t a guarantee. We will update this information as soon as we know more. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We sincerely hope you will continue to be Mountain House customers in the future.
Oregon Freeze Dry

JStor
01-18-11, 20:30
The Mountain House food I've eaten was good enough, but anybody going into preparedness mode would be wise to supplement their supplies with bulk grains such as wheat, beans, rolled oats, etc. Store in 5 gallon pails. Get a hand operated grinder plus an electric unit. The hand grinders can do the job running the grain through twice, but it's work. We used to bake bread from hand ground wheat...way back.

CLHC
01-18-11, 21:27
Update.
Thanks for that lead in. So, according to that posting Mountain House (OFD) had "an unexpected sales spike in #10 can sales."

Of the "Mountain House pouches" they produce, there are specific ones that I tend to purchase on a regular basis. Nice to know they "are able to meet demand" for said pouches.