PDA

View Full Version : Better trigger?

Hawk777th
10-06-10, 15:55
Have a friend with an Armalite carbine with a terrible trigger. What is a good drop in that is SHTF ready? Heard some triggers wont ignite the harder military primers.

ALCOAR
10-06-10, 16:27
Geissele SSA:)

UDT
10-06-10, 17:19

My choice also.

lanceriley
10-06-10, 19:14
+1 on the Geissele SSA or SSF

Hmac
10-06-10, 19:17
Geissele SSA, absolutely.

kartoffel
10-06-10, 21:23

Same here. Is there an echo in this thread or what?

ucrt
10-06-10, 21:24

Geissele SSA is hard to beat.

Eric
10-06-10, 21:32
Geissele SSA or Wilson TTU, or Geissele SSA. ;)
While not in the same category as the above, the Armalite Tactical Two Stage Trigger has worked fairly well also.

Surf
10-06-10, 21:32
Odd, I generally have very good luck with Armalite triggers. I also like Colt triggers.

Mjolnir
10-07-10, 00:02
Geisselle SSA :)
Abso-freakin-lutely.

Dave in NC
10-07-10, 02:55
I'll separate from the crowd here and say

Geissele!

And it's pronounced "Guys-lee". I've seen this argued about in other threads and other boards, and I'm amazed at how many people will argue that it's "jizelle".

If your gunsmith told you it was "jizelle" then I guess that's good enough...but the "Guys-lee" factory and family will beg to differ!

The only time "giselle" is acceptable is when doing a Google search and getting to see the sample image hits... :smile:

EzGoingKev
10-07-10, 05:28
That is what is in my rifle.

nickdrak
10-07-10, 05:40
I have had excellent results after sending my standard milspec triggers off to Bill Springfield to tune. I have him set mine to break at 4.5lbs. Zero issues with light primer strikes. Zero creep, smooth as butter, and breaks like glass. And it only costs about $40 and about a 7-10 day turn around.

BT556
10-07-10, 12:54
I have had excellent results after sending my standard milspec triggers off to Bill Springfield to tune. I have him set mine to break at 4.5lbs. Zero issues with light primer strikes. Zero creep, smooth as butter, and breaks like glass. And it only costs about $40 and about a 7-10 day turn around.
I also have a trigger from Bill Springfield, its very nice and its super cheap. It took 8 days from the time i shipped it til the time i got it back. I also have a timney trigger and its very nice.

ALCOAR
10-07-10, 13:03
All I am gonna say is do you guys think USSOCOM is relying on the Springfield trigger jobs performed to factory spec triggers or a SSA/SSF (this case the SSA) trigger which are complete aftermarket trigger units designed from the bottom up with reliability being the first and foremost attribute stressed within them? Keep in mind G triggers achieve their industry leading rep. by incorporating true engineering and proprietary designs into their trigger units rather than a Springfield job that only modifies the AR platforms existing FCG. After using SSA's extensively now I would honestly not go into a gun fight with one of my boomstick's lacking a SSA if at all possible.

raidernation
10-07-10, 13:17
SSA FTW, I can't believe how terrible the stock triggers feel. Day and night difference. You will not be dissapointed with SSA. Palmetto Armory usually has specials on the SSA's.

C-grunt
10-07-10, 13:32
My buddy has a SSA in his rifle. Wow am I impressed with it.

nickdrak
10-07-10, 13:43
All I am gonna say is do you guys think USSOCOM is relying on the Springfield trigger jobs performed to factory spec triggers....

The Springfield triggers fit my requirements perfectly. The G triggers do not. I do not buy something strictly based on the idea that I need to have exactly the same kit USSOCOM runs, nor should anyone else.

Geissele makes excellent triggers no doubt about it. If they would make a single stage trigger that breaks at 4.5-5.0lbs, then I would definitely have one.

cgcorrea
10-07-10, 15:09
Odd, I generally have very good luck with Armalite triggers. I also like Colt triggers.

My thoughts exactly. Colt triggers are great. And I have an Armalite FCG in my current build. The trigger feels pretty good to me.

ALCOAR
10-07-10, 17:34
The Springfield triggers fit my requirements perfectly. The G triggers do not. I do not buy something strictly based on the idea that I need to have exactly the same kit USSOCOM runs, nor should anyone else.

Geissele makes excellent triggers no doubt about it. If they would make a single stage trigger that breaks at 4.5-5.0lbs, then I would definitely have one.

I am not trying to bust your balls pal as I see you by in large only run the finest gear..top to bottom on the few builds Ive seen of yours. I just would think a guy of your time behind an AR trigger would be taking advantage of the huge advantages they have over the stock, gritty 8-9# trigger.

Its certainly still a preference choice in respect to the fact that you can always use a stock trigger in your prefer, I just cannot see myself now not running a nice aftermarket trigger once I have seen the massive upside in them. No worries brother, not calling anybody out and the last reason I would hope somebody would buy an SSA or any trigger unit for that matter is just because USSOCOM uses them....I just bring that up because the OP asked specifically for a drop in trigger unit for SHTF.....aka SSA:)

EzGoingKev
10-07-10, 17:38
I do not buy something strictly based on the idea that I need to have exactly the same kit USSOCOM runs, nor should anyone else.

I didn't buy mine based on the fact that I need the same thing as USSOCOM, but it did make me more confident in my purchase as I knew I was getting a no-BS, top quality piece of kit.

Magic_Salad0892
10-07-10, 18:07
SSA
LMT
KAC

Mega
10-07-10, 18:28
Guess I'm the odd man out...
A 3# Timney is my favorite.

Grumpy MSG
10-07-10, 18:36
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Roughly 15 votes for the Geissele SSA and 5 five for the factory style trigger, half of which would send it off to Bill Springfield for a tune up.

A quick Google Shopping search found the SSA available through Botach Tactical and Midway for $170 and Springfield's tuned up AR parts at ranierarms.com for $75, oh and look Ranier Arms also sells the Geissele SSA for $170.

Oh I forgot to vote... Add me the large list of Geissele SSA Kool Aid drinkers. Their product quality is incredible.

M4Guru
10-07-10, 18:41
SSF at work and SSA at home...no comparison.

Springfield triggers...hear lots of failures on these. If you got a good one, good on you. I wouldn't trust one.

I have no doubt a Geissele trigger could go round for round with a stock USGI trigger and last as long.

Surf
10-07-10, 22:42
I somehow knew this might snowball a bit, but I actually run a stock Colt trigger faster than my SSA in my own little non-scientific testing. Of course we are talking only .01 of a second but none the less I run my stock triggers just as well as my SSA for around $150 less.

Hey I do run some expensive stuff and I have no problem spending my hard earned money where I want, but for me the SSA doesn't help me out on a battle rifle so I don't put them in all my rifles. Everyone is different, but IMHO learning good trigger control / manipulation is a better route to take. [ducks for cover]

Again I do own an SSA and it is a nice trigger no doubt, but in a battle type carbine I find no benefit and prefer a good stock single stage type. In a scoped SPR or DM type of rifle I do like a 2 stage or a match trigger depending.

Stock Colt single stage vs Geissele SSA short version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOct0zf6_M)

Stock Colt single stage vs Geissele SSA long narrative version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olPC6bBE8cA)

MassMark
10-07-10, 23:01
Guess I'm the odd man out...
A 3# Timney is my favorite.

No you're not...I love my 3# Timney...