PDA

View Full Version : Good shtf Book Suggestions

Pages : 1 [2]

NWPilgrim
09-03-12, 14:32
Thanks for the reminder! I am going to re-read One Second After and look for this scene and similar security issues.

Just started 2030 by Albert Brooks based on recommendations in this thread. Very good read so far. Unlike so much survivalist fiction it is well written, well EDITED, and plausible enough to be captivating.

NWPilgrim
09-06-12, 20:03
2030 by Brooks is a bust. Worst ending in history, like nothing. Started off with idea of pending financial collapse and hostility of enslaved youth against never dying old folk sucking up resources. Tipping point of LA devastated by earthquake. China comes to rescue of LA, even hints at future authoritarian govt but ends with nothing said or implied how financial cliff or generation conflict unfolds or is resolved.

Well written but ending is so blah I hate the story now.

Jellybean
09-06-12, 23:38
What is everyones opinion on the other stuff from Joe Nobody?
I heard someone mention his "Holding Your Ground" book elsewhere here.

Also, not sure if this really falls under the SHTF theme, but has anyone ever heard of or read a book called The Brigade by H.A. Covington? Or any other books in that series?
(http://www.amazon.com/The-Brigade-H-A-Covington/dp/1436328020/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334372636&sr=1-2)

Just curious- a friend recommended them/it after I lent him my E,F&D series. Would like to get other POVs on them before dishing out the dollars.

So I figured I'd re-up this for a mini review of this book, since no-one else here had ever heard of it.
This past vacation, I splurged and got a few books I've been eyeing up.
On a tangent- Molon Labe was interesting- awful if you're looking for actual "story", which imho, it is NOT. But I thought it was a very interesting theory of an alternate way to preserve at least a portion of the nation from the coming unpleasantness, and maybe even open the door for others to follow. One of those books where after you finish it you think "WHY hasn't this been done yet?"
But it WAS boring as hell.:p

Back on topic-

As far as "The Brigade" goes;
I have never read a book yet where at the same time I have both 100% agreed, and 100% disagreed. Very mixed feelings from this one.
Short story line- a bunch of racially motivated wannabe nazis kill everyone in sight to save a portion of the country from big government (actually quite a lot like MolonLabe, just with nazis:laugh:) Ok, more to it than that but you get my drift. Probably THE most racist book I have ever read (and I've been through the Turner book).
The reason I said I had mixed feelings from this one, and didn't simply just toss it aside after chapter 1 from the sheer asininity of it, is the fact that, on some points made in it, it's dead on based on things that I have personally seen and experienced. I'm not a person who just blindly disriminates against people because of skin color, but to put it politely, I think most people who've been observant around certain other types of people would agree that a large portion of what's currently a'brewin' is going to be polarized[?] along racial/ethnic lines.
And that is ALL I'm going to say on that topic- I do NOT mean this to turn into another classic M4C slugfest. :p

Unfortunately, after making some reasonable points, as stated, the book vears off into asininity, and a times, such downright flights of fantasy that it makes JW Rawles' books seem sensible. :laugh:
[SPOILER ALERT] Basically, the good little nazis win their utopia and get to dress up in cute little stormtrooper uniforms, and sing their theme song in german, and generally live happily ever after.
Yes, it ended that dumb.
And apparently there's three more in the same series. :blink:
Needless to say, I'll pass- one was more than enough.
If you want a decent (and long) sneaky/shoot-em-up/revenge fantasy, by all means have at it. If not, save the dollars.

NWPilgrim
09-10-12, 02:32
Wow, was I wrong about One Second After. Excellent story and writing, I highly recommend it.

For some reason I had it mixed up with Alas, Babylon which is good but did not address issues such as security very much.

One Second After covers medical, security, food, skills, etc but glosses over water which in this story is abundant but for most towns will not be. Some of the emotional stuff/ arguments seemed a bit contrived but overall pretty darn good.

It does illustrate well how town leaders will be quick to jump to the "take what we need from businesses and families for the common welfare.". Scary.

Also, like the author, Newt and Capt. Sanders I believe an EMP is so relatively simple and devastating that it is a near certainty that some foe will try it on us in the next 50 years. And every year that goes by our society gets ever more vulnerable with increased use of electronics and just in time inventories and fewer older cars and equipment that might survive.

One of the best survivalist novels from a story line and quality if writing perspective. Not much in terms of how best to prepare except to see what failed and brainstorm yourself on what could have helped soften the blow for your family. I am highly motivated now to find some way to get several months supply if my wife's thyroid medicine.

Thanks to all who recommended this book and set me straight on key elements in it. It got me wondering if I remembered it correctly and to re-read it. I enjoyed it a lot and have more things to ponder.

usmcvet
09-10-12, 07:24
I buy all of my medicine in 3 month supplies. It's actually cheaper for me too.

Dirk Williams
09-10-12, 15:01
Just finished another book titled 299Days:The Preperation by Glen Tate.

Happens in Wa state about a kid from Forks Wa, who goes off to college, becomes an attorney and goes to work for a firm defending small business who are being screwed by the system.

The light comes on and this guy sees the big picture. Starts to prep, without the help of his wife. I found the book to be well done, I can relate to his wake up call and the short term panic about incident time tables.

This fella logically works thru the order of structure and how to keep his preps and purchases in order. Good read. Have a look think you will enjoy the read.

DW

eo500
09-12-12, 18:53
Just finished another book titled 299Days:The Preperation by Glen Tate.

Happens in Wa state about a kid from Forks Wa, who goes off to college, becomes an attorney and goes to work for a firm defending small business who are being screwed by the system.

The light comes on and this guy sees the big picture. Starts to prep, without the help of his wife. I found the book to be well done, I can relate to his wake up call and the short term panic about incident time tables.

This fella logically works thru the order of structure and how to keep his preps and purchases in order. Good read. Have a look think you will enjoy the read.

DW

I'm glad to hear you like it. I just ordered the book, I believe it is the first of a ten-book series to be released two books at a time. Only the first two are out now.

Dirk Williams
09-12-12, 20:23
Just finished book two 299:The Collapse. Fantastic book, hope the next two are not to far out.

DW

docsherm
09-12-12, 20:51
I just got the first 299 Days book. I am glad to hear it is a good read. I can't wait to start it.

Straight Shooter
09-12-12, 21:37
The way I got turned onto One Second After, is one day I was channel flippin. I had never before ,or since watched C-SPAN, but it just came on, and this guy was talking to a room full of HIGH ranking military, some congressmen reporters and some high up civvies.
Turned out to be the author of One Second After. He has testified numerous times before Congress and is recognized as a pre-eminate expert on the subject of EMP. It was 2 hours of THE most thrilling, scary, informative tv Ive EVER watched. He explained how so damned very easy we could be put back into the dark ages it aint even funny. And, he said that all the death tolls/figures in the book are STRAIGHT OUT of govt. estimates from places like the Rand Inst. & more. MILLIONS die in the first couple days. Many millions more in the first 6 months. He also said that tho the book is fictional...about everything in there could happen at any moment, at any time, and we would never know who/what/when/ or where it came from or who did it. When I think of this book, Ive read it 3 times now, and the Russian sub we had out in the Gulf a couple weeks back, they coulda popped us right there and it woulda been party over, lights out. I really wish I had that episode on tape....its a stone cold trip.

NWPilgrim
09-13-12, 04:44
I just got the first 299 Days book. I am glad to hear it is a good read. I can't wait to start it.

I just bought both Kindle 299 Days books. I grew in Olympia, Wa and lived and went to school and worked in the woods for three years from Aberdeen, Quinault, and Forks. Hard to imagine a local boy from there growing up yearning to be a lawyer as in the story!

But it will be fun to read how the area is included in the stories. They get about 150 inches of rain per year (rain forest). That is about 12 feet of rain.

The area has Olympic Mtns, rain forest, ocean beaches and several large rivers. Abundance of Elk, black bear, blacktail deer, trout, salmon, clams, crabs, mushrooms, wild berries (salmon, black, huckleberry plus oregon grape). Of course lots of timber (cedar, douglas fir, hemlock, spruce). Small towns along Hwy 101, Indian reservations, high percentage of locals are recreational fishermen and hunters, lots of hiking trails. Excessive drinking is the local sport.

Travis B
09-13-12, 08:33
I just bought both 299 Days books on amazon. While I was ordering I saw I could preorder the new Rawles book so I ordered that as well. Hopefully it will make up for the last one.

Dirk Williams
09-15-12, 22:14
Going to re read a book by Robert Taber. War of the Flea. I read it years ago thinking its time to read it again.

Also purchased a book titled The World America Made. By Robert Katan.

Good reviews and should provide a post middle east look at an America who has stopped being the worlds police. Haven't read it yet, got about 4 books ahead of it.

Dave L.
09-16-12, 01:48
... I could preorder the new Rawles book so I ordered that as well.

JWR doesn't want people to pre-order the book. They plan to blow it out very cheap through his site survivalblog.com on September 25. His goal is to shoot the book into the "Amazon Top 20" and the price should be around$11-12.

Travis B
09-16-12, 09:26
JWR doesn't want people to pre-order the book. They plan to blow it out very cheap through his site survivalblog.com on September 25. His goal is to shoot the book into the "Amazon Top 20" and the price should be around$11-12.

I waited last time for the specified date to bump up his ranking, but this time I needed to order something else to qualify for free shipping on amazon. Hopefully Rawles won't care.

Dirk Williams
09-16-12, 11:14
I kinda feel like the book should get to the top based on the merit of the book. Not a sales gimmick . Frankly the last book was not so hot, and covered a quarter of what had already been covered in the first book.

My pre has been in with amazon for some time now.

DW

NWPilgrim
09-17-12, 05:03
Just starting 299 Days. Spot on for Forks descriptions and characters. Not quite to the prepping part. Refreshingly well written in terms of grammar, spelling, and sentences. A real editing job thank goodness! Being from this area, worked in the Olympics, attended Grays Harbor College and the UW and worked for the State in Olympia it is a fun read for me. The characters are luke composites of people I have known from there. I think the kid lived next door to where I was for a summer.

Dave L.
09-25-12, 07:31
Ordered the new JWR book "Founders" today. Also ordered both 299 Days books.

Anyone ever heard of "The Harbinger (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/161638610X/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i03)"? I ordered that too. It looked interesting.

docsherm
09-25-12, 16:18
I just pre-ordered David Crawford's new book, Collision Course. If it is half as good as Lights Out it will be great.

NWPilgrim
09-25-12, 18:42
Thanks for mentioning Collision Course, doc. I just added that one as well.

I finished Book 1 & 2 of 299 Days. It is a 10 book series being released two at a time. Books 3/4 will e out mid-November. This is pretty expensive for one story but it supposed to be 3,200 pages total. One book is NOT a complete story, so if you aren't into serials this would be a disappointment.

299 Days is a decent prepper/survivalist novel. It is based on real personalities, such as the author and his family and friends. There isn't a disaster and betrayal at every turn so the hero can use every prepper tool he bought. Most people in it behave better and have some level of awareness and ability than most survivalist novels give the "sheeple". Of course there is a large portion of the population totally unprepared and will panic or shut down. But just as in real life there are also lots of veterans, refugees, etc that have lived through hard times and adapt fairly well.

It is not a survival manual in that it doesn't list every item in detail. But it does mention how the protagonist prepped (autobiographical) and measures he takes. It is not the next Tom Clancy or Steven King novel, but within the genre it is very good. If you don't like Rawles then you may like 299 Days since it is based on a slower, partial financial collapse and there is still rule of law.

I give it a thumbs up so far and plan to keep purchasing the other books in the serial. There is a good interview with the author at thesurvivalpodcast.com, I think it was in August.

Dave L.
09-26-12, 10:48
I just pre-ordered David Crawford's new book, Collision Course. If it is half as good as Lights Out it will be great.

I agree, I added this to my wishlist a couple days ago but the Author's name didn't register until I read your post.

Blstr88
09-27-12, 06:57
Just finished both "299 Days" books...good reads. Very right leaning...however, I tend to agree with a lot of that so I don't mind and if anything it makes me enjoy the books even more. Looking forward to the next two.

I also started reading "Mini Farming: Self Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre". Wow, so far its great! We started our first vegetable garden this summer and had a great time with it, but this book has some methods that can DRASTICALLY increase productivity...good practical read.

Moose-Knuckle
10-02-12, 19:54
I happened upon this as I was perusing the new book table at my local B&N. Surviving Survival: The Art and Science of Resilience by Laurence Gonzales. It appears this is a sequel to another work of his; Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why, he also has another book out on the subject matter Everyday Survival: Why Smart People Do Stupid Things.

http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Survival-Art-Science-Resilience/dp/0393083187/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349224030&sr=1-1&keywords=surviving+survival#_

Anyone up on his work?

cowpuncher
10-05-12, 03:34
Bought and read "Founders" today. The biggest complaint I've heard from people's reviews online has been the same "he's too preachy." I'm a devoutly practicing Agnostic...:D....and it's really not that big a deal.

Seriously, anyone who reads Survivalblog, or has read his first two novels is well aware that the guy is evangelical. You just deal with it.

In fact, the only real complaint I have is that he had the locals mis-pronounce Belle Fourche. It's NOT Foosh-Way. It's Foosh. I've cowboyed and lived in the Black Hills, and I've NEVER heard anyone in the region pronounce it the way he did......

Other than that, I actually think the dude's writing ability is SLOWLY improving.

NWPilgrim
10-05-12, 04:09
I'm passing on Founders this time. I enjoyed Patriots since I started reading it when it was the "Grey Nineties". So the dated references were not bothersome, and I took it as a pseudo-manual cum novel.

But "Survivors" was terrible. Shallow, not a complete story, and fantastical coincidences to allow travel from Afghanistan to the BOL in Idaho. It was not a "book" it was a collection of sparsely narrated incidences that did not add up to much of a story even as a "fill in the blanks for secondary characters" story. Just did not seem like Rawles put much into that one at all, more like a pound out some pages to sell something without much creative thought.

I enjoy his blog but I think his novel days are behind him.

I just finished "Bugging Out to Nowhere" by Paylie Roberts. It was OK. Decent plot, and better edited than the average self published prepper novel, but kind of annoying style. She keeps doing this contrasting thoughts in the same sentence and her characters have mood swings like maniac depressives or something. Lacked any real drama. Even the action scenes are glossed over and the protagonists kind of coast through and everything works out (while they have mood swings). Maybe the message is that with sufficient prepping you do OK and and there is no great drama (like all the looters hit other towns but not the heroes'). She also repeats thoughts in consecutive sentences." No I don't agree with that," I said not agreeing with him. (Not an actual quote but an example of the type of repetition used). The characters "state" a lot, even their questions. The characters ask questions in the form of statements? Often.

So it was OK, but the style was annoying and really, can't people edit their own work better before publishing? Misspellings and misuse of the wrong word, while not as frequent as some posted stories I have read, it is still easily noticeable. She is overly dependent on LABELS and EXPIRATION dates. Epi pens are dangerous to use if a few days beyond their expiration date, are you sure about that? Pedialyte is dangerous beyond its expiration date, even in an emergency; where did that come from? And then there are contradictory sentences within the same paragraph.

Lots of gardening and food prep details but I would pass on any medical tips given. Makes a good case for a fairly remote BOL and even a secondary BOL. But for some reason the heroine felt the need to drop her satellite tracked govt ID card where it would be found amongst a pile of dead bodies and then was SHOCKED when the authorities blamed her. Not great, often annoying, but more meat to it than "Survivors."

Frugalant
10-29-12, 23:41
Hey,
Please clarify the pedialyte scene. I’ve read the book, and all that was mentioned was that the pedialyte was expired, but they used it anyway. I took that as it’s okay to use expired pedialyte. Did I miss something?
As far as epi pens go, they are useless if expired past a certain date, see here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10808186
Also note, incorrect administration can cause problems, see here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22905594
Expiration dates certainly aren't the be all and end all, but they can be a helpful guide. Oh, and epi with discoloration or precipitate should not be used (presumably expired):
http://www.drugguide.com/ddo/ub/view/Davis-Drug-Guide/51265/all/EPINEPHrine
http://www.pharmpro.com/news/2012/04/pharmaceutical-companies-American-Regent-Initiates-Nationwide-Voluntary-Recall-of-Epinephrine-Injection/
http://www.greenstonellc.com/pdfs/pi/EPINEPHRINE%20INJECTION,%20USP%20AUTO-INJECTOR%20-%20PI.pdf

Making an assumption here, this first time author, was trying to point out that you should DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH before an emergency. But that’s just an assumption.

And yes, I think the author was trying to point out that if you are prepped, then after things fail, you will be “just okay”. Best case scenario, when TSHTF, no one will be well off. Those with preps, will just be “okay”. It will be ugly for everyone, and ugly for various reasons. And the best you can hope for is for to be just okay, because for most people, it will be awful.

As someone who has lived in the country for a while, a realistic scenario is that you are far more likely to encounter all these other problems mentioned in the book than having a major gun fight. And all these other problems are much more likely to kill you presuming you are out of major population areas. Of course, if you are in a major population area, you’re as likely to be killed in a gun fight.

Lastly, I think your statement is contradictory. Either this book’s action scenes are glossed over, or there is some action. I realize that emotions are for irrational wimps, but I think the author tried to point out how some people may react in real situations, and that is emotional. I think that ignoring emotions is a huge mistake, as emotions will lead many people’s actions after things break down. So I don’t think it’s a fair statement about the book. It’s just a different type of action. Sure, it lacks what a gun aficionado would find entertaining, but it’s not any less realistic. Have you ever been in a real gun fight? Have you ever shot another human being? The author clearly has not, and has trouble figuring out how she would deal with such a scenario. I think that’s more realistic than most "shoot em up" books I’ve read.

NWPilgrim
10-30-12, 01:35
Glad you like the writing style Frugalant. I found it irritating.

First, I did not criticize her pointing out of the expiration dates. The issue I have is her agonizing over whether to administer it or not as she claims an expired EPI pen could be dangerous. What, more dangerous than NOT giving it?! How so? If she had merely worried over whether it would work or not, then fine, but worried that their only EPI pen is pas the expire date and is therefore DANGEROUS. Fail. I think I know what an expiration date is so I don;t need references to say it is a guide. Reduced effectiveness after expiration I totally agree with and never claimed otherwise. But fretting over increased danger of expired medicines like EPI, give me a break.

I was not "looking for a gun fight." I too grew up in the country thank you. And I have been in a couple of armed confrontations that did not end in shooting. But in the book the looters and roving bands seem to attack everywhere else BUT their location. Now did they somehow pick the one spot in the county safe from neverdowells? Seemed unrealistic to me that there are looters, etc elsewhere, but not for them, and yet they were doing better than most in the area. If a group goes looting would they not go where the supplies are?

Having been in confrontations and other dangers I just do not relate to her fretting emotionalism. May be true for some folks but not everyone. And pretty much everyone in her group frets a lot instead of acting. For me, dire situations strip away the clutter and focus is on dealing with the immediate situation NOW and deal with the emotions and fallout later when it is safe. A lot of it has to be almost instinctive reaction (which can be driven by prior thinking, planning, decisions). Real life often does not afford us the time to sort out our emotions before the consequences start piling up.

That is why there are different authors and styles because obviously different people will appreciate one or the other. I can only relate my reaction to it and that is as true for me as your reaction is for you. I stand by my factual criticism of her repeated caution of expired EPI and Pedialyte being dangerous rather than less effective. Blatantly BAD information and obsessing on expiration dates. As for the style and emotionalism that is an individual subjective call and for me it does not work. Glad she spoke to your feelings.

Frugalant
10-30-12, 23:28
Okay, I looked through the book, I still can't find the reference that implies that pedialyte is dangerous if expired. Would you mind guiding me to the page number where that is written? Thanks.

NWPilgrim
10-31-12, 02:31
Okay, I looked through the book, I still can't find the reference that implies that pedialyte is dangerous if expired. Would you mind guiding me to the page number where that is written? Thanks.

No, I am not going to read through those books again to find something like that for you. I could care less if you believe it or agree with it. Did you find the ones about the EPI pen expiration and let's watch him swell up while we have a deep thought debate within ourselves if it is worth the risk to try the expired EPI pen? Does that not smack of bad information?

Are you like the author or her best friend or something? I don;t know why anyone would try to defend such silliness. Not worth my time to argue about it or look it up for you. My last post on this, take or leave it as you wish. Write your own review if you lie the book so much.

Frugalant
10-31-12, 08:10
I'm new to this forum and found this topic. I was just trying to have a discussion.

Your post caught my attention because I just finished reading the book and it was fresh in my mind. I felt that book was a tad miss-represented. I thought this would be a good way to get my feet wet with this forum.

Clearly you and I have different opinions on the book.

I will work on writing reviews on some of the survival books I have recently read, including this one, probably this weekend and will be happy to post them.

I am not the author, nor am I related, friend, whatever to the author.

Frugalant
11-04-12, 14:08
Since this topic is about good SHTF books, and since it was suggested I write a review, here are my reviews on some books that I’ve read that I think are useful:

Surviving the Economic Collapse by Fernando “FerFal” Aguirre:

I wanted to read this book because FerFal has already been through an economic collapse in Argentina, and I thought his knowledge might be useful.

Although this is not a fiction book, it offers a good variety of information, from choosing whether or not to live in a city, food stores, basic necessities, guard dog choices, weapon choices, knife fighting, fighting if you find yourself with out a weapon, etc. Ferfal discusses issues such as selling your gold during such times, developing a certain mindset, driving in dangerous situations, and much more. Considering that English is his second language, I had no trouble understanding what I was reading. His descriptions of fighting, whether it be with or without guns, are well written. I definitely picked up a few tips here and there.

Ferfal does strongly argue that staying in the city is safer than bugging out to the country. He makes excellent arguments for his opinion, but when the US economic collapse occurs, I think it will be much different than what Argentina experienced.

Overall, a great book, highly recommended.

Patriots by James W. Rawles

This was the first “prepper” book I read, and at that time, I found it to be amazing. The book is full of useful information on what types of things to acquire, and offers quite the long laundry list of supplies, guns included, that one may be interested in attaining for when TSHTF. Unfortunately, with recent changes or additions to many laws (e.g. gun shows), some of the information in this book is now outdated.

The book is about a group of friends who shared a bug out location for when the economy collapsed, and who all eventually meet up at this location. The plot allows the reader to imagine what times may be like after an economic collapse, and what kind of things one might want to have stashed away. A huge drawback of this book is that a lot of the supplies that are suggested require a lot of money, and most folks don’t have a secret Swiss bank account they can tap into to buy all the stuff this book suggests.

All and all, I found that the survival information was very useful, but beyond my (and most people’s) financial reach. I also found that I wouldn’t get along with the characters in the book. I think that everyone has a right to whatever religion, and this book implies that only certain believers are good people and will behave the right way. I disagree, and I’m not going to lie. While I think that people mean well when they want to do no wrong, and claim they will not eat someone else’s food, people are still only human, and just as the vegetarian will kill a rabbit and eat it if starved for long enough, so will any human being who has never experienced hunger before. In short, I feel this book lacks the development of real (rather than idealistic) characters. Instead, it is based on religious ideals of how people should behave. So read the book for the long laundry list of supplies, and if you like the story, great. If not, well, you got that long laundry list of supplies (which you probably can’t afford) didn’t you?

I also want to mention that this book was written over a period of almost 20 years. This allowed the author to polish the book and even update it for the prevailing themes of the times. This was the reason I chose not to read Survivor’s and Founders. If it takes 20 years to write a descent book, I’m going to have trouble reading any other book that was written in less than a year by the same author. But that is purely a personal opinion.

How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It by James W. Rawles

If you’ve read Patriots, and you have read a few sites that discuss preparedness and what to stash, then you don’t need this book. If you are new to prepping, and haven’t read Patriots, AND have your own remote location, then this book is very useful. I found this book to be the same long laundry list of items to get that you find in Patriots. And just as in Patriots, being a millionaire is a requirement.

This book also focuses on staying put in a remote location. This is not practical for everyone, as many will choose to live in the city when times get tougher, and there may also be a time when you have to ditch your remote location. The price of the book is a bit high for what it is. I read this book in less than three hours. I actually, don’t recommend this book, unless, you are new to prepping. Use this as a list of supplies to possibly acquire, and you will have to adjust the recommendations to fit your budget.

Bugging out to nowhere by Paylie Roberts:

There’s already been discussion on this book, so I’ll try not to repeat some of what has been said.

This books is clearly self edited based on all the grammatical/spelling errors. However, I don’t usually let something like that get in my way unless it prevents me from understanding what the book is saying, especially if the message is a good one.
Bad editing aside, this book made me think. And it made me think about a lot of things. The story is about a couple who bug out right as things are getting ugly in the cities. The book is mostly about them in their sparsely prepped location, and the difficulties they encounter. The story is a bit slow, but I don’t think it was intended to be action; nor do I think it was intended as a survival guide. I found a good portion of the story very believable, and have even seen some people behave as some of the characters do, even though things haven’t technically fallen apart here yet. While the psychology of people on this forum may be more stable or logical, that does not necessarily mean that other people will behave in a similar manner in such a scenario. This book helps to provide insight into how less mentally strong people might behave in such a scenario.

I also liked how the author explained how they acquired some of the stuff they were able to get, on a shoestring budget. I personally have to save up for most items, and have often wondered how I’m going to afford such and such. This book helped me think of some creative ways of financing things, along with pointing out that making a list of everything (and I mean everything) you need for your situation is helpful. I also reconsidered my long term storage food choices, and am now paying a “food storage tax” every time I go to the grocery store.

As pointed out in the earlier discussion, there is bad information in the book too, just as with any of the other “prepper” books. While there is some info that isn’t the best, I realized from reading this book that it is absolutely impossible for any one person to know everything, and you should research anything that pertains to you now, not later, and make your own informed judgment.

There is a great deal to learn to be able to be fully (or mostly) self-sufficient, and one person alone can not do it. This book made me realize that I need to get along better with others (as in a community), because I’m going to need those other people to share their knowledge/skills when TSHTF. And not to sound like a sexist pig, but because this book does not contain a huge amount of violent action along with superman type heroes that can magically shoot zombies from a mile away, this is an excellent read for any woman who is interested in prepping. In fact I would recommend this book to any woman who is reluctant to get involved in prepping, and I would likewise recommend it to any man who is struggling to get his significant other involved in prepping.

One Second After By William R Forstchen and Newt Gingrich:

Okay, so I’m a bit conflicted on this one, because not everyone would call it a good SHTF book, in the sense of using it as a guide for prepping. Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s an enjoyable novel to read. The characters are well developed, and the story line moves smoothly. However, this is a story about a family that is completely unprepared for an EMP to wipe out all of the US. Not only are they not prepared, but the family includes a daughter who requires life saving medication. This book is more of a “wish I had this stashed away” list. I found the plot to be very realistic in how people might behave in desperate times, but I also found some things unrealistic. Such as taking showers with a bucket being poured over you with swimming pool water. I have tried taking a cold shower, and nope, not happening. I would have to be really filthy to tolerate such a “shower”.

There is a demonstration of how a town could put together a militia, and I found it interesting how this was developed. I found it even more interesting how the few resources were being used after the “war’ that occurred with a major cannibalistic gang.
There was a lot in this book that made me think, such as whether or not I would ever eat my own dog. All and all, what this book really did for me, was made me get off my rear end and get serious about prepping because I didn’t want to find myself in the character situation.

Currently reading: Lights out by David Crawford. My thoughts on this one so far:

I am only about a third way through this book, and so far so good. The story is about a couple of families who find themselves relatively unprepared in the middle of an EMP, and now must decide if they should stay put in a small community just outside of the city, or move to a ranch designed for survivalists but under someone else’s rule.

This book has a very optimistic view of how people will behave after an EMP. For example, Kroger limits customers to $50 a week in shopping, and only a few fights break out. Because of this limit, the two families along with the community are able to drive themselves to different Kroger stores and manage to acquire six to eight weeks worth of food for their families? Yes, very optimistic indeed.

I find some items a bit unrealistic, such as using a generator to pump well water for a community of 50 families (they seem to pump that water awfully quickly). I also find it unrealistic that out of 50 families, only one has a generator? Minor details aside, so far the action has been good, the story line is smooth. My understanding is that this book is supposed to be filled with action. I’ve only read through one real action bit, so I’m excited to read what happens next.

And randomly, I’m going to throw in three books that are not SHTF books, but I think will be useful when TSHTF.

First, if you do a lot of dehydrating, “Making and Using Dried Foods” by Phyllis Hobson is an excellent quick resource to figure out how to dry certain foods, and then later how to use them. The book is simple to use, easy to reference, nice simple recipes for the dehydrator.
If you plan to grow your own food at some point, I recommend getting a good seed saving book. Now, I haven’t found that perfect book, but did find “Seed to Seed” by Suzanne Ashworth and Kent Whealy to offer enough useful information that I am able to save my own seed, and have now for many years. I don’t recommend this book for experienced seed savers, but do recommend it for beginners.

Lastly, if you live in colder climates, and plan to grow your own food, “Four-Season Harvest” by Eliot Coleman is an excellent read, with amazing information on how to get a harvest all year long. Let’s be real, you won’t be growing tomatoes in January if you live in Northern climates, but he does offer a nice list of vegetables that will grow in January if helped out just a little bit.

Additional thoughts:

I’m thinking of buying “Lucifer’s Hammer” by Larry Niven, and “When All Hell Breaks Loose” by Cody Lundin next, but haven’t decided if I want to dish out the cash yet. Maybe someone else here has read these?

evotistic
11-04-12, 20:36
Such as taking showers with a bucket being poured over you with swimming pool water. I have tried taking a cold shower, and nope, not happening. I would have to be really filthy to tolerate such a “shower”.

Maybe I missed your sarcasm, but taking showers with cold buckets of water is not unrealistic. It's what we did/do while in the field or deployed.

Just thought I'd point that out.

docsherm
11-05-12, 10:40
Founders: A Novel of the Coming Collapse

I see that Rawles has a new book coming out in September 25th. It looks like the same plot line as the last two with new people.....Hope it is better then the last two. I will read it...but I can hope it will be better.

Here is the link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Founders-A-Novel-Coming-Collapse/dp/143917282X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2S4LTDU8DJH92&coliid=I2VFB9DHB8VXKD

Well I finished the ]Founders: A Novel of the Coming Collapse last night ( I am in a Masters program so I do not get a lot of free time to read what I want). I must say that I felt cheated.

I understand that Rawles is preachy, that was not it, but it did get a bit old this time. :rolleyes: I did not feel like he added much to the story line. All he did was take parts from his last 2 books and reprinted it with a little bit of newish stuff added. Not sure if I will read anything else from him if he keeps this up. Very disappointing overall.

Frugalant
11-05-12, 20:54
Maybe I missed your sarcasm, but taking showers with cold buckets of water is not unrealistic. It's what we did/do while in the field or deployed.

Just thought I'd point that out.

You are right, I should have been more clear.

The scene I was referring to in the book is about a teenage girl. In my mind, I was thinking that no teenage kid who has never lived outside of the usual comforts, let alone attempted boot camp, is going to tolerate a cold shower. I myself would rather be filthy. I also have some neighbors who can not afford their power bill, who choose to go with out a shower rather than a cold one (some Vietnam vets too).

A couple other thoughts I had as well, was that perhaps the outside temperature heated the pool water enough to make it tolerable. I think this scene took place in the summer.

So perhaps not so unrealistic after all.

I live in very cold climate, and live on well water. I naturally will assume that all water is super cold.

NWPilgrim
11-05-12, 21:27
Well I finished the ]Founders: A Novel of the Coming Collapse last night ( I am in a Masters program so I do not get a lot of free time to read what I want). I must say that I felt cheated.

I understand that Rawles is preachy, that was not it, but it did get a bit old this time. :rolleyes: I did not feel like he added much to the story line. All he did was take parts from his last 2 books and reprinted it with a little bit of newish stuff added. Not sure if I will read anything else from him if he keeps this up. Very disappointing overall.

That is exactly how I felt reading his Survivors. Not even bothering with Founders this time around. I like his blog but he has run out of steam on the novels.

NWPilgrim
11-05-12, 21:38
I just watched Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath with 1940 screenplay by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Henry Fonda. Hadn't watched this for many years.

A lot of survival themes in there. Easier and safer as a family/group than alone. The weaker folks like elders may die along the way. Sucks to bug out when you don't have an alternate location confirmed, known. Being a refugee is not safe. Sharing and gathering information is life saving.

Only downside it is heavy handed on the California farmer perspective while very soft on the refugee perspective. They did show one friendly rancher/farmer but most were portrayed as brutes. I'm sure they say their share of thefts, assaults and vagrants in the hordes that came through their towns. Life is not so simple as being able to portray one group as good and another evil. In real life are brutes and Samaritans in both camps, who end up causing a lot of the aggravation between the two.

Overall, timeless SHTF situation and struggles.

Redmanfms
11-07-12, 06:09
I just watched Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath with 1940 screenplay by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Henry Fonda. Hadn't watched this for many years.

:blink:

da6dspanburg
11-07-12, 06:25
I just watched Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath with 1940 screenplay by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Henry Fonda.

Directed by John Ford (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000406/) with the screenplay by Nunnally Johnson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425913/)

Blstr88
11-08-12, 05:55
Downloaded "Collision Course" by David Crawford onto my Kindle, just started into it last night...so far so good!

Fidalgoman
11-08-12, 11:22
Though not specificly SHTF books anything by Vince Flynn has enough ideas battling terrorist to give a heads up aproach to knowledge base.

shattuck
11-13-12, 01:54
That book put me in a funk for days - either I'm normal or I'm soft. Either way I need to toughen up - that book is stuff we all might have to deal with:(

****, me too. Loved and hated that book.

NWPilgrim
11-13-12, 19:37
Directed by John Ford (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000406/) with the screenplay by Nunnally Johnson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0425913/)

Thanks, I am not a movie guy. Just repeating the credits I thought I heard from Robert Osborne. Grapes of Wrath is well done whoever did the screenplay and directing. :). Maybe in five years we will be ready for Sons of Grapes of Wrath!

kln5
11-13-12, 23:53
I just finished the first book in the 299 Days collection. It was pretty decent. I have also read One Second After. They are decent reads. One Second After did make you think.

Blstr88
11-14-12, 06:07
Finished "Collision Course"...

Was it another Lights Out? I personally don't think so...I dont really think it was anywhere near Lights Out. It wasnt bad by any means, I think I just had the bar set very high and it fell a little short.

I did like very much how he developed the characters...without giving too much away, it was basically 2 different stories that came together in the last 5 pages of the book, but the 2 different characters both basically did 180's throughout the story. Different for sure, which I appreciated and enjoyed.

Another series I LOVE is "The Remaining"...its a zombie themed book, but very well written I think and just keeps you glued. Book #3 just came out last week, so I started that yesterday after finishing collision course...so far so good! If you're into the zombie theme I highly recommend this series.

Just got Book #3 of the 299 Days series too...I'll start that next. Im about 1/2 way through Founders but I dont really even have the motivation to finish it to be honest. Ill get to it eventually but its just more of the same.

docsherm
11-27-12, 09:32

I just finished Collision Course over the weekend. I will say it was as addicting as Lights Out. I could not put is down. Near the end I did kind of see where it was going......the end did seem like he just quit at the story....not bad but it could have been better.

soulezoo
11-27-12, 11:58
Only downside it is heavy handed on the California farmer perspective while very soft on the refugee perspective. They did show one friendly rancher/farmer but most were portrayed as brutes. I'm sure they say their share of thefts, assaults and vagrants in the hordes that came through their towns. Life is not so simple as being able to portray one group as good and another evil. In real life are brutes and Samaritans in both camps, who end up causing a lot of the aggravation between the two.

Overall, timeless SHTF situation and struggles.

Indeed. I am reminded of the Juan Corona story. The migrants will feed on each other as well. Darwinian theory at its finest.

Moose-Knuckle
12-11-12, 21:47
Released recently, Sentinel: Become the Agent in Charge of Your Own Protection Detail (http://www.amazon.com/Sentinel-Become-Charge-Protection-Detail/dp/1475960492/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355283652&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=Sentinel+pat+mcnamara#_) from one of our very own SMEs.

Anything can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. Wouldn't you rather know that you had done everything in your power to have prepared yourself for that moment when something goes wrong? None of us plan to fail, but we may fail to plan. In Sentinel, author Patrick McNamara provides an instructional guide filled with survival techniques for the family. Drawing from his background as a special-operations agent for twenty-two years, McNamara discusses the importance of being the protector of the family and provides a host of techniques, strategies, and procedures to ensure safety. He offers simple steps for being better prepared for power blackouts, home invasions, and attacks on the street and more. From your home to your vehicle and beyond, McNamara discusses how to plan for contingencies. Sentinel provides the information necessary to help you take charge of your own domain and be able to count on yourself to protect your own life and the lives of those close to you.

sammage
12-12-12, 13:00
Released recently, Sentinel: Become the Agent in Charge of Your Own Protection Detail (http://www.amazon.com/Sentinel-Become-Charge-Protection-Detail/dp/1475960492/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355283652&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=Sentinel+pat+mcnamara#_) from one of our very own SMEs.

Damn good price on the Kindle version as well, just ordered it.

Rekkr870
12-12-12, 13:17
Finished "Collision Course"...

Was it another Lights Out? I personally don't think so...I dont really think it was anywhere near Lights Out. It wasnt bad by any means, I think I just had the bar set very high and it fell a little short.

I did like very much how he developed the characters...without giving too much away, it was basically 2 different stories that came together in the last 5 pages of the book, but the 2 different characters both basically did 180's throughout the story. Different for sure, which I appreciated and enjoyed.

Another series I LOVE is "The Remaining"...its a zombie themed book, but very well written I think and just keeps you glued. Book #3 just came out last week, so I started that yesterday after finishing collision course...so far so good! If you're into the zombie theme I highly recommend this series.

Just got Book #3 of the 299 Days series too...I'll start that next. Im about 1/2 way through Founders but I dont really even have the motivation to finish it to be honest. Ill get to it eventually but its just more of the same.

I thought Lights Out was good, but not great. While it did have some well rounded and complete characters, I seemed to think it was a little bit lengthy in some of the insignificant areas. Maybe it was a little drawn out? I thought One Second After was better; I guess that's why we have opinions.

However, I did come across all 3 of The Remaining books and I could not put them down. I am not usually into the zombie scene but those books are well written and exciting. I cannot wait for book 4.

I guess I will read the 299 days series and see if I like those while I wait.

Dave L.
01-05-13, 02:51
I just finished Collision Course over the weekend. I will say it was as addicting as Lights Out. I could not put is down. Near the end I did kind of see where it was going......the end did seem like he just quit at the story....not bad but it could have been better.

I read the whole book yesterday. I feel the same way; I knew where it was going toward the end and it definitely seemed like he just quit on the story.
One thing I did like about it was how it was not your standard "everything goes as planned" SHTF book. Character development kept me intrigued.

I'm about to start the 299 Days series. I have the first two books and 3 and 4 in the mail.

Dave L.
01-05-13, 03:02
Im about 1/2 way through Founders but I dont really even have the motivation to finish it to be honest. Ill get to it eventually but its just more of the same.

The first 1/3-1/2 of Founders was one of the most painful books I have ever read. I'm a Christian so the religious proselytizing didn't bother me, but the amount of detail spent on religious background of the characters was annoying and agonizing.
I did however, like the happy ending, mostly knowing the series was over.

Hopefully JWR says away from Fiction for a few years.

Blstr88
01-05-13, 06:25
The first 1/3-1/2 of Founders was one of the most painful books I have ever read. I'm a Christian so the religious proselytizing didn't bother me, but the amount of detail spent on religious background of the characters was annoying and agonizing.
I did however, like the happy ending, mostly knowing the series was over.

Hopefully JWR says away from Fiction for a few years.

Ya I did eventually finish it...I too am glad its over though and I can officially say, if Rawles writes another I will not buy it. I really feel like the first was his best and it went steadily down hill with each book. Another would just be too painful for me to get through.

I just finished the first of Matt Brackens books: Enemies Foreign & Domestic. LONG read...but excellent. Im about 15 pages into his second book and excited to really get into it. I know it's been mentioned on this thread probably a few times, but for anyone who hasnt read it and is looking for a "break" from a "SHTF end of the world" book, Matt Brackens is great. Its more "government conspiracy" than "SHTF", but a great story.

Travis B
01-05-13, 09:02
I just finished the first of Matt Brackens books: Enemies Foreign & Domestic. LONG read...but excellent. Im about 15 pages into his second book and excited to really get into it. I know it's been mentioned on this thread probably a few times, but for anyone who hasnt read it and is looking for a "break" from a "SHTF end of the world" book, Matt Brackens is great. Its more "government conspiracy" than "SHTF", but a great story.

Maybe my tin foil hat is on a little too tight, but do you see a comparison of EF&D to the current events in the US? It's too scary to imagine our future like the rest of the series, which is an amazing read I might add.

Dave L.
01-05-13, 09:48
Maybe my tin foil hat is on a little too tight, but do you see a comparison of EF&D to the current events in the US? It's too scary to imagine our future like the rest of the series, which is an amazing read I might add.

You mean how an out-of-place mass murder with no explanation causes liberal public outcry and extreme gun control measures which most likely violate the Constitution?
No... I guess I'm just not seeing the comparison :alcoholic:

Rekkr870
01-05-13, 09:50

I don't think your hat is on too tight. I thought the same thing as I read the series. I think some people use "tin foil" just to reassure themselves that something like this could NEVER happen
;) My .02

NoveskeFan
01-05-13, 10:01
Maybe someone here knows the book I'm looking for. I don't remember where I read the blurb, but the book description is about a guy in a work truck some 200 miles from home. He's on the highway when everything stops working. He pulls out his "bag that people made fun of him for carrying around" and starts the trek home. Any ideas?

Rekkr870
01-05-13, 11:47
Maybe someone here knows the book I'm looking for. I don't remember where I read the blurb, but the book description is about a guy in a work truck some 200 miles from home. He's on the highway when everything stops working. He pulls out his "bag that people made fun of him for carrying around" and starts the trek home. Any ideas?

Going Home?

NoveskeFan
01-05-13, 15:12
Going Home?

Thats it!! THANK YOU!!!

Rekkr870
01-05-13, 15:40
Thats it!! THANK YOU!!!

No problem

Exiledviking
01-05-13, 22:27
I just finished the first of Matt Bracken's books: Enemies Foreign & Domestic. LONG read...but excellent. Im about 15 pages into his second book and excited to really get into it. I know it's been mentioned on this thread probably a few times, but for anyone who hasnt read it and is looking for a "break" from a "SHTF end of the world" book, Matt Brackens is great. Its more "government conspiracy" than "SHTF", but a great story.

I agree. I couldn't put down "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" and finished it in 3 days. Disturbing stuff! I was able to get the 2nd and 3rd book directly from Mr. Bracken and he was kind enough to sign both books.

Dave L.
01-08-13, 10:09
The first two "299 Days" books are great reads. I usually find some silliness in the story line with these types of books, but I don't really have any major issues so far.

Anyone know when 5 & 6 will be available?

Blayglock
01-08-13, 11:42
I highly recommend one second after.

Travis B
01-08-13, 12:17
The first two "299 Days" books are great reads. I usually find some silliness in the story line with these types of books, but I don't really have any major issues so far.

Anyone know when 5 & 6 will be available?

I just finished the first book and was highly impressed. I can't wait to see his preps put to use.

The 299 website is reporting mid February 2013 for the next release.

NWPilgrim
01-08-13, 13:20
I just finished the first book and was highly impressed. I can't wait to see his preps put to use.

The 299 website is reporting mid February 2013 for the next release.

299 Days books 1&2 were very good, very realistic. They are based on actual people and actual/very likely events. Books 3&4 were a disappointment though. Without the Community being directly threatened they have adopted the enlarged Team as a "paid" security force (that is, they get free meals and don't have to do any other work). In a community of a few hundred people, I highly dount that large of a security force is going to be bought into so quickly (like 2 weeks?). I grew up in that exact area and I can tell you that while there are many tree hugging yuppies, there are plenty of rural folk who would fend for themselves thank you just fine until actual attacks proved a larger defense force was needed. So far in Books 3 & 4 that has not happened to this Community.

I understand this scenario is a literary device to set up the eventual establishment of a new libertarian government. But citizens won't be outsourcing their defense so readily and a new govt is not happening in 299 days.

It was a great start, but now that it is in the future setting it seems to have diverted from "this shit is real" to wannabe fantasy. Concealed carry badges, really?! Those won't be impressing any local citizens I know, and will be a joke or irritant to most of the LEOs I've known.

"Grant" and his "team" are commended to arm and train themselves and form a mutual aid group. But it is fantasy to think that an entire rural community is going to quickly flock to community politics and outsourcing their defense. In a partial collapse, it may take a couple of years of people just trying to feed themselves before they have time to meet, vote and organize community jobs. Anything to do with food and warmth (gardening, canning, food stocks, livestock, trapping, firewood, etc) will garner the most attention and people's daylight hours. Defense will be relegated to an important, but secondary activity provided by each household or a couple of neighbors working together.

So arm and train, but don't expect to survive by immediately becoming some town's security force and getting free meals. A farmer may give room and board to someone else to provide security for his farm, but it will likely be during the times the farmer has to be farming. And it will be cheaper for him to hire unskilled farm hands to do the farm work while he provides armed over watch, then for him to break his back while some "security" person sits around looking through binocs. This shit is real.

Yankeewhite
01-09-13, 14:34
Yes, the third 299 sucks. No more for me, too costly to read them anyway.

Smedley
01-12-13, 02:20
Yes I do see the comparison, and I was thinking the same thing (I'm at about page 100).

das
01-14-13, 22:15
Yes I do see the comparison, and I was thinking the same thing (I'm at about page 100).

Eerily prophetic if you ask me. I not a conspiracy nut but EF&D is becoming very close to a reality.

Dave L.
01-19-13, 09:55
Got through the first 4 books of "299 Days". I'm actually entertained by them. Some stuff is a little far fetched, but given the setting, I can go along with some of the themes.

I'll buy the next two.

I have the 3 "Holding Their Own" books on deck.

Yankeewhite
01-19-13, 15:19
Holding their own is pretty good, two is ok and by three he is a superhero.

HES
01-19-13, 23:31
Yeah book 3 in the holding their own series kinda jumped the shark

danattyfatty
01-20-13, 07:54

I read it end of Nov/early Dec. After Newtown happened, I couldn't help but constantly compare the two in my head! Pretty scary, indeed!

danattyfatty
01-20-13, 07:55
I agree. I couldn't put down "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" and finished it in 3 days. Disturbing stuff! I was able to get the 2nd and 3rd book directly from Mr. Bracken and he was kind enough to sign both books.

The 2nd and 3rd books are good reads too. Like you said, disturbing stuff!

Yankeewhite
01-20-13, 12:28
Going home is pretty good but I question his pack contents.

Atlshaun
02-01-13, 19:45
Overwhelming amount of books to read

Dave L.
02-01-13, 23:33
Just finished all three "Holding Their Own" books.

Pretty good overall, but they were more for entrainment and little to know teaching value.

Apparently their is a 4th book coming at some point.

Anyone know the dates for 299 Days 5/6 to be released?

RiggerGod
02-02-13, 01:27
From 299Days.com (http://299days.com/)
"Glenn Tate" posted on 11/24/12:

"In Book Six, which will be out in mid-February, 2013, you will meet...."

So I would think that he is either A) behind schedule or B) both books should be out momentarily. Hope they are out soon! Pretty good huh?

Dave L.
02-02-13, 08:04
So I would think that he is either A) behind schedule or B) both books should be out momentarily. Hope they are out soon! Pretty good huh?

Thanks.

Yeah, I have read the complaints but I still like the story. I heard Tate on Survival Podcast and he seems like a down to Earth kinda guy.
It's a slow progression similar to Lights Out, which is also a good story.

wilson1911
02-03-13, 22:47
Have any of you guys read this, not sure where I saw where it was, but this is a bit overwhelming. Even if you know the gov is dirty, this goes way beyond anything I even thought.

recon
02-03-13, 22:55
Author of Lights Out has this one out.
http://www.amazon.com/Collision-Course-David-Crawford/dp/0451238079

Yankeewhite
02-03-13, 23:06
Author of Lights Out has this one out.
http://www.amazon.com/Collision-Course-David-Crawford/dp/0451238079

Most of that was free on tos, he finished it and published it. Ending was a let down, like he ran out of time and needed an ending.

Rekkr870
02-23-13, 08:18
Most of that was free on tos, he finished it and published it. Ending was a let down, like he ran out of time and needed an ending.

I thought so as well, sucked pretty bad to be honest.

Yankeewhite
02-23-13, 22:45
I thought so as well, sucked pretty bad to be honest.

Felt like he stole my lunch money on that one.

HES
02-25-13, 22:08
I just finished book 4 of the 299 days series and I'm really digging it. Can't wait for book 5.

Packman73
02-25-13, 22:14
Passed on from another site:
Free downloadable digital copy of Unintended Consequences.

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/ ... uences.pdf

rkba01
02-26-13, 06:32
Passed on from another site:
Free downloadable digital copy of Unintended Consequences.

Correct URL, click here (http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/129/Media/Unintended_Consequences.pdf)

Packman73
02-26-13, 09:15
Correct URL, click here (http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/129/Media/Unintended_Consequences.pdf)

Thanks.:o

NWPilgrim
02-28-13, 17:25
Just finished "Danielle Kidnapped" by John Silveria of Backwoods Home Magazine. Scenario is a fast forming ice age and near total collapse of govt. Very gritty, violent but ultimately a heroic read.

Unlike so many SHTF books it is very well edited. Concise narrative and dialog, reminds me of Hemingway style. After reading it you will want to buy a ton more ammo and food, move away from any highway, and start patrolling your perimeter! :)

First book in the Danielle trilogy. Available on Kindle.

Dave L.
03-02-13, 10:52
Glen Tate is on the most recent Survival Podcast. Book #5 will be released alone and not until the end of March :mad:

Rmplstlskn
03-03-13, 09:00

Yes, a double thanks for the link... I bought the 1st Edition (before the legally mandated editing) when it first came out. It is prized on my bookshelf, but it is HEAVY and THICK. Not one to pack with you on a hike. But loaded on an e-Reader, it is now a must have.

Rmpl

Dave L.
03-03-13, 09:30
Yes, a double thanks for the link... I bought the 1st Edition (before the legally mandated editing) when it first came out.....

I downloaded it from a different site a while back. What was the mandated editing and is the previously linked version edited?

AdventureTimeWithBS
03-03-13, 13:20
Just finished all three "Holding Their Own" books.

Pretty good overall, but they were more for entrainment and little to know teaching value.

Apparently their is a 4th book coming at some point.

Anyone know the dates for 299 Days 5/6 to be released?

I just finished the first of the "Holding Their Own" series. I definitely agree it is more entertainment than instruction. However, it kept me riveted, and gave me several things to think about. I will have to research those things on my own though, as the book didn't necessarily cover the details. Still, a good read.

EDIT - I did enjoy the writing style and found the author, Joe Nobody, has other books, which look like they are more instruction than entertainment. I may give one of those a try to supplement the "Holding Their Own" entertainment.

Dave L.
03-11-13, 03:16
***Spoiler Alert***

Just started "Going Home" by A. American. One chapter in, it's not bad. Another EMP/CME story. Everything is fried except his NOD's... :rolleyes:

He has 250+ miles to walk home and he is a little overweight. He plans carry an ALICE pack that starts off around 65+ lbs, wearing Bellville USGI combat boots (with GoreTex) and an XD-45.

Should be interesting, but the gear list has me rolling my eyes more than I would like in the first 20 pages.

francis
03-11-13, 03:43
My favorite is

The Collapse by Jeff Stanfield

He's a former Marine, Alabama Police Officer, and was a member of Alabama's department of Homeland security

http://www.amazon.com/The-Collapse-Jeff-Stanfield/dp/1425914551

A lot of good instructions in a fictional type novel.

I"m reading the first page and years ago he predicted the future with the stuff about North Korea detonating two bombs and threatening the US after we put more sanctions against them.

HES
03-22-13, 21:22
The 5th book in the 299 Days series came out today.

Travis B
03-22-13, 21:28
I'm half way through "Going Home" by A. American and I'm quite impressed. While their editor should be fired, the story line is one of the better ones I've read.

usmcvet
03-23-13, 06:58
My favorite is

The Collapse by Jeff Stanfield

He's a former Marine, Alabama Police Officer, and was a member of Alabama's department of Homeland security

http://www.amazon.com/The-Collapse-Jeff-Stanfield/dp/1425914551

A lot of good instructions in a fictional type novel.

I"m reading the first page and years ago he predicted the future with the stuff about North Korea detonating two bombs and threatening the US after we put more sanctions against them.

I was about to say hell no at $23.56 but the Kindle version is $2.43. Kinda a no brainer at that difference.

Dave L.
03-23-13, 07:47
I'm half way through "Going Home" .....

Going Home, was actually pretty good. I'll be reading the next book in the series for sure.

He takes a shot at Rawles which must be becoming popular.

Travis B
03-23-13, 08:14
Going Home, was actually pretty good. I'll be reading the next book in the series for sure.

He takes a shot at Rawles which must be becoming popular.

"Patriots...Suck!"

Smedley
03-27-13, 13:05
I just received this book http://afailureofcivility.com/
After reading Matt Bracken's glowing review here http://tinyurl.com/bow2rqt ..
I ordered it Sunday night, and received it today (Wednesday), so at least they've got quick delivery. I respect what Matt says and his "Enemies" series of books were the best novels I read over the course of the last year. After I ordered it I did read a couple of reviews that basically said there's "nothing new in this book, move along now," but like I said I trust Matt, and will reserve judgement until I've finished reading it for myself. Just doing a quick perusal before heading to work was reassuring though. For instance the use of solar powered pathway lights if the grid goes down. I was just thinking about how handy those lights could be as back-up lighting last night, I hope it was a good omen... .. Notice I used a large font? so does this book, I like it....

Travis B
03-27-13, 14:27
A few days ago I finished Going Home. One of the better shtf books I've read. The editing was atrocious but it was a minor distraction from the great story lin

I finished Collision Course last night. The two different/parallel story lines makes it a good change from most books in the genre. Without spoiling the ending, I'll say I hated the outcome of one story line!! Gabe is a true comeback kid, and the way the book climaxes, you're praying the inevitable doesnt actually happen.

HES
04-02-13, 01:14
I was about to say hell no at $23.56 but the Kindle version is $2.43. Kinda a no brainer at that difference.

Even at $2.43 it's over priced. Holy hell this book is a literary abomination. Look it's self published. I get that. I'm not expecting Fitzgerald, Twain, or Steinbeck. But God my 13 year old could probably write a better story. Does no one ask for proof reading help these days? This thing is painful to read. This is almost as atrocious as Patriots, but in a different way. Pro tip for all budding authors, get someone to proofread and help with editing. Go to your local community college and hire someone. It will be so well worth it.

docsherm
04-08-13, 08:41
Just started Apocalypse Drift by Joe Noboby. So far it is good. I do like his other books. I think that this one has better editing.

Here is the book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1482392550/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

usmcvet
04-08-13, 13:09
Even at $2.43 it's over priced. Holy hell this book is a literary abomination. Look it's self published. I get that. I'm not expecting Fitzgerald, Twain, or Steinbeck. But God my 13 year old could probably write a better story. Does no one ask for proof reading help these days? This thing is painful to read. This is almost as atrocious as Patriots, but in a different way. Pro tip for all budding authors, get someone to proofread and help with editing. Go to your local community college and hire someone. It will be so well worth it.

Thanks I will save my money. My son crossed over from the Pack to the Troop about a month ago!

The Boy Scout Handbook is a good read. I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned but I thought I would say it again, seeing your sig line reminded me.

Dave L.
06-18-13, 10:33
Unintended Consequences by John Ross (http://www.accuratepress.net/), is now available in paperback.

Moose-Knuckle
06-18-13, 15:09
Unintended Consequences by John Ross (http://www.accuratepress.net/), is now available in paperback.

Outstanding! I can finally pick up a copy, guess I'll be on a list once the barcode is scanned on the book kind of like how Mel Gibson was every time he bought a copy of Catcher In the Rye in the film Conspiracy Theory .

simple1
06-30-13, 21:47
A New World series by John O'Brien.
Available on Amazon Kindle

Zombie fiction. Not without its shortcomings but entertaining.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=a+new+world+series&sprefix=a+new+world%2Cdigital-text%2C257

Blstr88
07-13-13, 06:16
Looks like Rawles is back...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1N9780/ref=pe_167110_31055940_pe_re_csr_ht

Ill be skipping this one for sure.

docsherm
07-14-13, 08:43
Looks like Rawles is back...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C1N9780/ref=pe_167110_31055940_pe_re_csr_ht

Ill be skipping this one for sure.

If it is as good as the last one I will pass also.....very disappointing.

Ouroborous
07-16-13, 12:31
Anyone read Hidden Order by Brad Thor? Thinking of checking it out.

Hidden Order:

The most secretive organization in America operates without any accountability to the American people. Hiding in the shadows, pretending to be part of the United States government, its power is beyond measure.

Control of this organization has just been lost and the future of the nation thrust into peril.

When the five candidates being considered to head this mysterious agency suddenly go missing, covert counterterrorism operative Scot Harvath is summoned to Washington and set loose on the most dangerous chase ever to playout on American soil.

But as the candidates begin turning up murdered, the chase becomes an all-too-public spectacle, with every indicator suggesting that the plot has its roots in a shadowy American cabal founded in the 1700s.

With the United States on the verge of collapse, Harvath must untangle a web of conspiracy centuries in the making and head off the greatest threat America has ever seen.

This is thriller writing at its absolute best, where the stakes have never been higher, nor the line between good and evil so hard to discern.

RioGrandeGreen
07-24-13, 15:00
I got the Kindle app for my son's Samsung tablet and hijacked it for some summer reading. I was going to buy a Kindle but it was cheaper to just get the app. Good thing this books are cheap on Amazon. Thanks guys for all the recommendations!

*=Star

Against the Grain-2*
Apocalypse drift-3*
The Sentinel-3*, common sense about what you should be doing anyway.
The Remaining series by D. J. Molles- I really enjoyed this one.Highly recommended - 4*
Threat Vector- T. Clancy-4*

I have also read Coming Home and Lights Out-4*

Disclaimer: I am not a critic. I just love to read, also I am a speed reader.

R.P.
07-25-13, 12:29

Just started reading this book. I have been hearing about it on forums for years. Only a couple hundred pages into it; pretty good so far, but LONG!

I recently finished: Patriot Dawn, The Resistance Rises by Max Velocity, and The Home Schooled Shootist; Training to Fight with a Carbine by Joe Nobody.

QueenofMisery
08-24-13, 21:20
Yeah book 3 in the holding their own series kinda jumped the shark

I have to agree. Turning him into a one man commando capable of taking out an entire team of well trained drug lords was a bit ridiculous. I had to stop at that point.

I did manage to finish The Collapse. I agree that the editing was horrible. Things like "He rapped the belt around his waste." It was almost like someone did a search and replace of waist for waste. Overall, however, it had some very interesting premises.

Rekkr870
08-25-13, 00:03
Anyone read Hidden Order by Brad Thor? Thinking of checking it out.

Hidden Order:

The most secretive organization in America operates without any accountability to the American people. Hiding in the shadows, pretending to be part of the United States government, its power is beyond measure.

Control of this organization has just been lost and the future of the nation thrust into peril.

When the five candidates being considered to head this mysterious agency suddenly go missing, covert counterterrorism operative Scot Harvath is summoned to Washington and set loose on the most dangerous chase ever to playout on American soil.

But as the candidates begin turning up murdered, the chase becomes an all-too-public spectacle, with every indicator suggesting that the plot has its roots in a shadowy American cabal founded in the 1700s.

With the United States on the verge of collapse, Harvath must untangle a web of conspiracy centuries in the making and head off the greatest threat America has ever seen.

This is thriller writing at its absolute best, where the stakes have never been higher, nor the line between good and evil so hard to discern.

I've read it. The book was ok, but kind of predictable. I have read a few of his books, this one is my least favorite.

gsxr-fan
08-25-13, 20:20
Not a fictional work, but you may wish to read “Leadership and Training for the Fight” by retired US Army MSG Paul Howe. It's written in a straight forward, no BS manner on lessons learned about leadership under combat conditions.

A highly recommended SHTF read!

vandal5
01-07-14, 09:41
Thanks to all who have added suggestions in this thread.

so far I have read One Second After and the Going Home series.
Perhaps I will try reading Day By Day Armageddon while I wait for Forsaking Home to come out (looks like it will be out 6/24/14).

levik97
01-13-14, 00:12
I really like to read the stories people post on Survivalist Boards. That's where Angery American originally posted Going Home and also Surviving Home (both still available for free there). You can find the stories in their Books, Movies, and Stories section. There's actually a lot of really good books there for free.

Levi

Rekkr870
02-06-14, 21:54
I want to bump this thread. If anyone has anymore suggestions on great books to read, let me know. I've ready many in this thread already.

Nocaster
02-07-14, 11:59
"Pulse of Allah" was pretty good. The premise of the book is somewhat farfetched, I.e. that the entire western world is attacked by a coalition of Muslim countries, using EMP, nukes, and conventional forces. The book follows the occasionally intersecting stories of several unconnected individuals on all sides of the conflict, including military and civilians.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Rekkr870
02-10-14, 20:57
"Pulse of Allah" was pretty good. The premise of the book is somewhat farfetched, I.e. that the entire western world is attacked by a coalition of Muslim countries, using EMP, nukes, and conventional forces. The book follows the occasionally intersecting stories of several unconnected individuals on all sides of the conflict, including military and civilians.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Rekkr870
02-18-14, 20:25
I hope this hasn't been listed yet, but check out the American Exit Strategy books. They seem very realistic and not always so "Rambo." The author has Christian values and it really shows in this book. Financial collapse, crooked politicians, DHS, and guns. You all will like it.

223to45
08-05-14, 16:51
Well based on several good reviews on here , I have ordered a few of the highly recommended ones.

devildogljb
10-09-14, 13:07
Wow i started this thread exactly 4 years ago and just seen it was put up at the top so every one could find it. My library has grown a lot since i first started it. I have read a lot of books that have been suggested. Just finished book 1 of THE REMAINING series and started book 2 last night so far a very good series. But i have to say my favorite book so far has been ONE SECOND AFTER i have read that book 6 times.

vandal5
10-09-14, 20:57
Just saw there will be another book in the Going Home series called Resurrecting Home. Pre-order for the Kindle is $5.12 and it says it's due out on Dec 30th 2014. Give me time to finish Castigo Cay and hopefully one or two more before this comes out.

Jellybean
10-10-14, 22:03
Wow i started this thread exactly 4 years ago and just seen it was put up at the top so every one could find it. My library has grown a lot since i first started it. I have read a lot of books that have been suggested. Just finished book 1 of THE REMAINING series and started book 2 last night so far a very good series. But i have to say my favorite book so far has been ONE SECOND AFTER i have read that book 6 times.

I have to say 1SA is hands down so far THE best all-out SHTF book I've read. Everything else pretty much pales in comparison. That thing is, it's so well done, but at the same time the one I actually don't want to read again....

Another suggestion, a youtuber called "maineprepper" has written a book called "The Walls Came Tumbling Down" that seems pretty good. I started it back when it was in video form on youtube only, and although I never got through the whole thing (yet) it didn't seem too Rambo, and had some nice cold doses of reality in there as well... The subject is a full collapse scenario.
It is now available as PDF:https://gumroad.com/l/VLEY
Or MP3: https://gumroad.com/l/QfjB

Also, to bring this up again, Bracken's E: F&D series is still a must read, and occasionally seems to pop up for download on Kindle from Amazon for free...

Gallo Pazzesco
10-20-14, 14:44
Im looking for good books to read that have to deal with when shtf. Mostley looking for fictional books that tell a good story but you can still learn.

Takes place not far from here on Black Mountain ... "One Second After." I highly recommend it.

You could always read the old faithfuls as well. The Road, Robinson Crusoe, Atlas Shrugged, Red Dawn, etc.

Unintended Consequences is good, in two parts really. The first half sets it up and then the second half .... zoom!

dylank0723
11-24-14, 17:57
Going home series by A American

dylank0723
11-24-14, 17:58
Equipping modern patriots has a lot of gear info. Forget the author

RioGrandeGreen
01-09-15, 01:09
You guys have to read Day of Wrath by Forstchen. DAMN! It was suggested in the GD. 2.99 on Kindle.

223to45
01-28-15, 12:21
Once Proud Nation by L.K. Falls

This was suggested on a local site, picked it up. I thought it was pretty good.

Based in WA in the Northwest.

Bruce in WV
01-30-15, 12:58
"Operation Circuit Breaker" the story line is embedded in the monograph: https://operationcircuitbreaker.wordpress.com/chapter-6-operation-circuit-breaker/

"Australia's Security Nightmares" (free download at bottom of page): http://www.jakeman.com.au/downloads/guides-and-books/australias-security-nightmares

Korgs130
07-08-15, 13:55
Tomorrow War: The Chronicles of Max [Redacted] by J.L. Bourne

http://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-War-Chronicles-Max-Redacted/dp/1451629133/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436381439&sr=8-1&keywords=tomorrow+war

A very well written, exciting SHTF story. Good read for sure.

jack crab
07-08-15, 17:35

http://www.amazon.com/Tomorrow-War-Chronicles-Max-Redacted/dp/1451629133/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436381439&sr=8-1&keywords=tomorrow+war

A very well written, exciting SHTF story. Good read for sure.

Also excellent in audiobook form as it is told in the first person, present tense. Similar to Bourne's earlier zombie series just global financial melt down (as if that would happen).

BG94591
02-04-16, 14:59
Surviving The Dead is a great series. Well thought out and great character development. I highly recommend it.

marksman169
02-17-16, 08:44
May have been mentioned but Lights Out by David Crawford is a very good read.

Bagherra
02-17-16, 20:09
Surviving The Dead is a great series. Well thought out and great character development. I highly recommend it.

Just checked this series on Amazon..which book is first?

BG94591
02-18-16, 18:22
Just checked this series on Amazon..which book is first?

No easy hope, should be the first one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tikkatac
02-21-16, 23:26

Great series. I enjoyed them a lot.

BG94591
03-21-16, 23:19
Just finished The Extinction Cycle series, great read. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Korgs130
06-29-16, 19:49
Just finished this one:

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

Nine years after a super flu wipes out almost 100% of the world's population a man patrols his defensive perimeter with a 1965 Cessna. Not written like your you average SHTF novel. One of the best books of any type that I've read in a while.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0307950476/ref=sxl1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467247103&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Blstr88
07-06-16, 18:19
I'm sure its been mentioned but The Remaining series written by DJ Molles are incredible...and his newest work looks like it's coming out in August:

https://www.amazon.com/Wolves-D-J-Molles-ebook/dp/B01H7PUEEW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1467847015&sr=8-3&keywords=dj+molles#navbar

If its half as good as The Remaining it'll be awesome.

Blstr88
07-06-16, 18:22
And a side note - does it piss anyone else off how Kindle books are now (more often than not) more expensive than the actual paperback? I love the convenience of ordering books for my Kindle but it just rubs me the wrong way that I could get an actual physical copy for LESS money...

Bruce in WV
07-20-16, 09:18
A good NYMag read from Bruce Schneier's blog about hackers hitting NYC.

“Futuristic Cyberattack Scenario - This is a piece of near-future fiction about a cyberattack on New York, including hacking of cars, the water system, hospitals, elevators, and the power grid. Although it is definitely a movie-plot attack, all the individual pieces are plausible and will certainly happen individually and separately.
Worth reading -- it's probably the best example of this sort of thing to date.
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2016/07/futuristic_cybe.html”

Unreconstructed
07-27-16, 21:03
A good NYMag read from Bruce Schneier's blog about hackers hitting NYC.

“Futuristic Cyberattack Scenario - This is a piece of near-future fiction about a cyberattack on New York, including hacking of cars, the water system, hospitals, elevators, and the power grid. Although it is definitely a movie-plot attack, all the individual pieces are plausible and will certainly happen individually and separately.
Worth reading -- it's probably the best example of this sort of thing to date.

This is a good link: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/06/the-hack-that-could-take-down-nyc.html

Blstr88
08-05-16, 08:12
Another series (just 2 books) I read some years ago that I just re-read is called "Feathers on the Wings of Love and Hate" written by John Grit. If you can get over the corny relationship of the main character and his girlfriend its a good book. Takes place in the US in the not-so-distant future where the world has gone full socialist and the World Gov is now trying to eliminate the last freedom-loving hold outs in America.

joedirt199
08-05-16, 13:43
I started "The Survivalist" series by Arthur T Bradley. Virus released to start mankind over. Decent characters but you can tell there is some stealing from the tv series Justified. Main character is just like raylen givens. The quick draw routine gets a little old when dispatching bad guys who have been disarmed since shooting an unarmed man would be dishonorable. Would goes to shit do what you can to survive. 8 books and am working on number 4. Kept me going this far for a cheap quick read.

jpgm
02-10-17, 23:24
Just finished reading One Second After. I couldn't put it down. If definitely gets you pondering.

jpgm

davidz71
02-11-17, 02:12
Just finished reading One Second After. I couldn't put it down. If definitely gets you pondering.

jpgm

I guess you will have to pick up his next book "One Year Later". It is on my desk but I haven't started reading it yet.

austinN4
02-11-17, 06:41
I guess you will have to pick up his next book "One Year Later". It is on my desk but I haven't started reading it yet.

Actually, there are 3 books in that series now: One Second After (2009), One Year After (2015), and now Final Day (2017) was just released.

davidz71
02-11-17, 09:52
Actually, there are 3 books in that series now: One Second After (2009), One Year After (2015), and now Final Day (2017) was just released.

Wouldn't you know, now an additional book behind!

duece71
02-13-17, 07:49
I am reading OSA for the second time, to be followed by OYA and then TFD. Excellent reads.

BG94591
02-13-17, 15:40
I found a link for The Black Bloc Papers; its 397 pages long and pretty much talks about all the riots that have been going on lately. I'm not sure if I can post it here so if you want to have a look at it, send me your email address and I will send you the link.

austinN4
02-13-17, 15:45
I found a link for The Black Bloc Papers; its 397 pages long and pretty much talks about all the riots that have been going on lately. I'm not sure if I can post it here so if you want to have a look at it, send me your email address and I will send you the link.

You can put the link in a PM.

Fidalgoman
02-13-17, 19:57
I sort of scanned it and it appears to be an Anarchist group with an Affinity for the left. I find that an amusing irony in that the left are the most likely to impose Tyranny, murder it's citizens and impose unjust jail sentences. Don't get me wrong it's not about right or left IMHO as much as it's about socialist overreach be it Fascism, Democratic Socialism, or Communism. Even if these factors may war against each other their bottom line is still the same.

My Opinion: I side with Thomas Jefferson when he says "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery". Perhaps on this one point I might find agreement. The problem as I see it is when groups like this use violence and disruptions even to the point of murder and mayhem to create so called freedom/anarchy they are in themselves a source of Tyranny forcing their will upon the people. Let our enemies fight among themselves and leave us in peace has been my prayer. Who knows?

mrcarbine
02-16-17, 06:43
thanks a lot for this thread guys. i mean i have a good collection of guns, ammo, food, rope, traps. but i never thought of reading s SHTF book prolly for hurricane and other scenario. thanks for you help guys.

bravo619
02-19-17, 11:49
I read this and actually learned a couple things:) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170219/77f5ca61e02c2a82ba7f74b0957a208e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170219/607ac2b8fd1b7040bb1622ce77c93d56.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170219/fb88f31a66b030bedc9c2e54ad88e3b3.jpg

jpgm
02-19-17, 12:05
The content description sounds more like an advertisement. How is it so far?

jpgm

bravo619
02-19-17, 13:20
Pretty informing there is a lot I had no idea about.

Mozart
05-06-17, 20:27

I enjoyed this book a lot. More than his zombie books which are good in and of themselves. Can't wait for the sequel

mkmckinley
05-06-17, 20:51
I liked "Wolves" by D. J. Milles a lot, rings pretty true to me as well after visiting several places that are basically post-SHTF currently.

BG94591
05-07-17, 18:04
I've been reading the Extinction series by Nicholas Sansbury Smith, I highly recommend it. Its about a military weapons experiment that turns humans into beasts.

Jonnyt16
09-02-17, 12:47
May have been mentioned but Lights Out by David Crawford is a very good read.
A very good read indeed. I liked it more than One Second After to be honest.

This also may have been mentioned as well but I was also thoroughly captivated by D.J. Molles's The Remaining. If well-written, intense thrilling action is what you seek then I highly recommend this book/series.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51WFJ09M9yL._SX275_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

VARIABLE9
09-02-17, 20:58
I second the recommendations above for Patiots and One Second After. After that I'd go with:

Lucifer's Hammer (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0449208133)

The Road (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307265439) (worst case scenario, not a fun read, but still good)

Day by Day Armageddon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1439176671) (not as informative as the others, but still a fun, quick read)
Missed this thread before.
I'll second The Road.

Jmedic_
10-16-17, 22:28
A very good read indeed. I liked it more than One Second After to be honest.

This also may have been mentioned as well but I was also thoroughly captivated by D.J. Molles's The Remaining. If well-written, intense thrilling action is what you seek then I highly recommend this book/series.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51WFJ09M9yL._SX275_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This has to be one of my, if not the, most favorite series I've ever read. I was planning on posting about the series also. JL Bourne also has a great SHTF series. One about zombies, the other about economic collapse. Both were very entertaining.

09fatbob
01-01-19, 17:06
Ditch medicine

Jonnyt16
01-01-19, 23:20
Just discovered that The Remaining series by DJ Molles has returned....

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51yoBMiFvrL.jpg

recon
01-01-19, 23:35
Looks like Amazon has them all.

https://www.amazon.com/dj-molles/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Adj%20molles

mack7.62
01-04-19, 11:52
[QUOTE=Jonnyt16;2530719]A very good read indeed. I liked it more than One Second After to be honest.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51WFJ09M9yL._SX275_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg[/QUOTE

WTF. I wish Amazon would put a disclaimer on books like this: AUTHOR INSISTS ON ARMING THE PROTAGONIST WITH AN HK MK23 AND A KBAR translation this doofus's entire knowledge of firearms and the military comes from playing Call of Duty. Read the first book only, from the beginning started noticing things that bugged me, I will go through some of them below. I have developed a tolerance with Kindle books, even with faults I can still enjoy a good read, but I have to feel I am getting good value for my money. This series I would classify in the $3.99 range, if they were priced there I would buy and read the whole series, but no way will I pay $8.99 each for 5 books that starts with the faults listed below.

SPOILER ALERT BELOW

Job - be available to hide out in bunker in case of possible SHTF, what about the rest of the time, you are going to pay someone to just sit around waiting to go into the hole. Can't give the guys something productive too do while waiting around? Don't know about you but I get in trouble when I'm not working.

Hide out - high tech bunker under house in rural neighborhood, I would think a more secure location would be better but OK, I am sure cover house will have some rudimentary security like fences, alarms, cctv right. WRONG none of the above, bunker only entrance/exit is a hatch in basement, when exiting super secret bunker from unconcealed hatch in basement he has to sweep dark basement with HK23 light because it doesn't even have a light left on. Then he has to clear house because he has no way of knowing if anyone has entered. Really. Also only one way in/out of bunker is a real big believably problem for me, along with the fact that house/bunker are powered by a battery bank fed by solar panels with enough capacity to AC the house in a NC summer. I don't know how many solar panels it would take to do this, but most houses don't have enough roof to support them. Not to mention that any apparently empty house with no alarms, no fence and tons of solar panels on the roof might have a big target on it in a situation like this.

Weapons - Primary M4 with M203, 13 total plastic mags, no extras, 1000 rds 5.56 and "case" of 40 MM (all HE). Yeah I will feel well armed for TEOTWAWKT with that. Secondary MK23 with 1000 rds of 45 and Glock 19 with 100 rds of 9 MM cause I'm gonna shoot everyone with a 45. And a wood case of frag grenades. All of this stored in unsecured closet in bunker.

I have to stop and go do chores, but there are lots more things that bug me about this book, like shooting rednecks with no qualms but going through angst for putting down infected and parking truck and walking across open fields 600 meters to a house during a rescue and....

El_Chingon
07-11-19, 20:57
Going home series...i am waiting for number 11 if their will be one.

jack crab
07-12-19, 09:56
Franklin Horton has three good series going: Locker 9, Borrowed World, and The Mad Mick.

jack crab
07-12-19, 10:15
Going home series...i am waiting for number 11 if their will be one.

It is a good series. However, the writing in the later books is getting tedious. There are frequent passages along the lines of:

I turned to get in the truck. "Get in the truck too," I said to Thad. Thad turned to get in the truck. Thad settled in enormous but athletic bulk in the passenger seat. "I am in, Morgan," Thad said. We then departed in the truck to go find Sarge.

Just filler words that do nothing to advance or tell the story.

Jonnyt16
07-12-19, 15:48
Doesn't really fall under "SHTF" but Jack Carr's True Believer is coming out this month. It is the sequel to The Terminal List and boy talk about a thrilling novel! Jack Carr is a former SEAL sniper team leader and his writing is exceptionally well done. Loved the accurate, detailed descriptions of all the guns and gear in his book.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51FH8BWvoVL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41mvDwbY9XL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

robbins290
08-20-19, 08:28
I have saved a copy so if anyone would like it, I can e-mail it.

I would like a copy!

Gallo Pazzesco
08-20-19, 12:01
(One Second After) Let me know when you cry. There is a section of the book that has made every guy I know who read it get misty eyed at the bare minimum.
Yeah, and I know the section you are talking about and it pissed me off more than made me teary eyed. I got teary eyed when Old Yeller was shot. One Second After pissed me off because:

One: You keep you dogs well fed by feeding them bad guys.

Two: Situational Awarness would have prevented that dog from being killed. Also, the dog would have been healthier if he had been fed bad guys, and there were plenty of bad guys to feed to the dogs.

Dogs should never have to starve post shtf. That and why, nowhere in the book, were chickens and eggs ever mentioned.

Other than that I kinda liked the book.

HES
08-20-19, 19:50
Yeah, and I know the section you are talking about and it pissed me off more than made me teary eyed. I got teary eyed when Old Yeller was shot. One Second After pissed me off because:

One: You keep you dogs well fed by feeding them bad guys.

Two: Situational Awarness would have prevented that dog from being killed. Also, the dog would have been healthier if he had been fed bad guys, and there were plenty of bad guys to feed to the dogs.

Dogs should never have to starve post shtf. That and why, nowhere in the book, were chickens and eggs ever mentioned.

Other than that I kinda liked the book.

That's a perspective I hadn't thought about. My question is what happens when a dog gets a taste for human? Could you ever trust it? I don't know the answer so I am very curious. Keep in mind that we have the benefit of hindsight since this book was written. At the times the characters were still trying to come to grips with the fact that civilization as they knew it had come to an end.

Gallo Pazzesco
08-20-19, 21:34
That's a perspective I hadn't thought about. My question is what happens when a dog gets a taste for human? Could you ever trust it? I don't know the answer so I am very curious. Keep in mind that we have the benefit of hindsight since this book was written. At the times the characters were still trying to come to grips with the fact that civilization as they knew it had come to an end.
You gotta plan in advance. That's the point. Military History professor at Montross didn't plan for his family in advance and didn't plan for his dogs in advance.

Dogs will eat anything if they are hungry enough, including each other. But keep them fed and they are loyal only to the one that feeds them. That's how they became domesticated in the first place.

His dogs should have been fed bad guys. Shtf and there should always be food for dogs. Hell, it's that way in third world countries now .... especially Africa.

Pigs are the same way. Shtf and there should always be enough food for the pigs provided they don't get too much protein and die from ketoacidosis which they are prone to doing .... ask any chicken farmer.

We're too civilized these days and for the wrong reasons. Hopefully we'll be able to keep buying 50 ps bags of dog chow, but if not then make do.

How can someone who has a diabetic loved one not have a years worth of insulin on hand and a way to keep it chilled? Type Ii is one thing because weight loss is a given but Type I .... they're dead without insulin.

My dogs will be fed. They're too important not to. They're part of the very fabric of survival of the fittest. They are an integral part of man's evolution. Without dogs we cannot thrive as humans. They sleep during the day and are alert at night for a reason. Their eyes are better, their noses are better, they're faster and they have better jaw strength and teeth. And they'll eat stuff that would choke most humans.

That was the major fail part of the book. Dogs, no chickens and no essential meds stocked up. He was actually lucky to have the old car .... thanks to his mother in law.

jsbhike
08-21-19, 17:25
The Jungle is Neutral, 1948 ISBN 1-59228-107-9

written by:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Spencer_Chapman

Is a very good read. Lots of real S that really H a lot of F's. ;)

09fatbob
09-06-19, 16:56
Left of bang

flenna
09-06-19, 17:36
R.E. McDermott's Disruption series
Bobby Akart has several series

Both of these on Kindle Unlimited.

Korgs130
09-27-19, 22:24
Crisis in the Red Zone: The Story of the Deadliest Ebola Outbreak in History, and of the Outbreaks to Come by Richard Preston.

The outbreak in question was in 2014 and the S literally HTF. Don’t think it can’t happen here because the truth is that our country is ill equipped to deal with any outbreak of a level 4 virus. lThe book is outstanding. Gives you lots to think about prep wise.

interstate3704
02-24-20, 16:19
Dare to Prepare is a nonfiction how to book for almost everything you can imagine. Not cheap but worth the money.

recon
02-24-20, 16:50
Yep. New 2018 edition/is out

https://www.amazon.com/Dare-Prepare-6th-Editon-2018/dp/0985294582

Todd00000
04-14-20, 15:04
I'm sure all the FMs have been mentioned but if it's been awhile flip through them.
I want to point out the Knife Bible and the Pocket Reference, lots of good, practical info in them.

Tigereye
04-23-20, 06:31

Ordered today. Thanks

preppergrant
04-23-20, 13:07
I second the recommendations above for Patiots and One Second After. After that I'd go with:

Lucifer's Hammer (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0449208133)

The Road (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307265439) (worst case scenario, not a fun read, but still good)

Day by Day Armageddon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1439176671) (not as informative as the others, but still a fun, quick read)

I really liked Lucifer's Hammer

Todd00000
04-28-20, 11:22
Wrong thread.

M_Rapp
06-22-20, 11:01
I have really been enjoying the Day After Never series by Russel Blake. Its more of an adventure with lots of good info to chew on thrown through it...
https://amzn.to/37RPUd3

I'd like to talk to talk to a vet who has fought on horses... Curious about a few things the book entails. Good story line that is hard to put down...

chamber143
09-10-20, 19:35

I love Stan Deyo

Straight Shooter
09-11-20, 10:19
I said it before & Ill say it again...ONE SECOND AFTER.
There are a couple scenes in that book that still sicken me many years after reading it in one sitting.

recon
09-11-20, 23:31
One Second book is a really good one. Your right about a couple scenes in the book. Tears me up.

Gallo Pazzesco
09-12-20, 06:37
Dare to Prepare is a nonfiction how to book for almost everything you can imagine. Not cheap but worth the money.
It's a good pepper's Bible of sorts, a guideline, not a novel or fun read per se. Not sure I would trust it as a how-to manual though.

I've got a couple of editions so I've followed her for awhile and even tried the LDS Avow forum. She is off, IMHO, on a lot of her weights to caloric intake ratios on various food items and she is behind the times on energy solutions post shtf. She's also sorely lacking in the defense and security aspects of a post SHTF scenario and pretty much everything else in there can be found online or learned OJT. (Not to mention the need for so many more subjects to be covered, in-depth, as to make such a volume almost impossible to publish in one book ... but she wastes a lot of space on things that might be better filled with other things.)

Still, the book is a good starter primer and she did try to update some important things, to some degree, in the latest 2018 edition ... which went to press in late 2017 after being updated mostly in 2016-17 so ... there's that. It's already four (or more) years behind the times in terms of firearms, foods, first aid, etc.

Most importantly, to me at least, she almost completely avoided some seriously important aspects of post shtf survival and prepping in advance of such a scenario from a fiduciary financial standpoint. Not to mention dealing with various social and regional (human to human related) issues, dangers and sticky wickets.

Common sense and a genetic predisposition to prepare, (an inborn survival mentality), as well as interaction on forums such as this one and a drive and willingness to get it done ... those are things that will get you further than investing $30 or more on that particular book.

On the other hand One Second After has lit a fire under more friends of mine (I always buy cheap copies at used book stores when I see them and give them out as gifts to friends and family) than did my decades of asking them, sometimes almost begging them, to prepare before now.

One Second After, combined with our current social situation, has awakened a lot of people ... also illustrated by gun sales. (The ammo shortage caused by both demand and Covid-19 make it interesting - ammo is the new precious metal IMHO) Between gun sales and previous toilet paper shortages (lol) prepping has finally gone mainstream. That's a good thing for us actually.

One Second After (while I have some major issues with that book having raised my family camping in and around the Black Mountain area and along the Blue Ridge Parkway) was well-timed and is the standard, at the moment anyway, for prodding people into prepping.

Dare to Prepare might definitely be considered, for now at least, a good resource for those just now getting into the game .... a starter's shopping list if you will, but a poor how-to manual.

Straight Shooter
09-12-20, 20:08
It's a good pepper's Bible of sorts, a guideline, not a novel or fun read per se. Not sure I would trust it as a how-to manual though.

I've got a couple of editions so I've followed her for awhile and even tried the LDS Avow forum. She is off, IMHO, on a lot of her weights to caloric intake ratios on various food items and she is behind the times on energy solutions post shtf. She's also sorely lacking in the defense and security aspects of a post SHTF scenario and pretty much everything else in there can be found online or learned OJT. (Not to mention the need for so many more subjects to be covered, in-depth, as to make such a volume almost impossible to publish in one book ... but she wastes a lot of space on things that might be better filled with other things.)

Still, the book is a good starter primer and she did try to update some important things, to some degree, in the latest 2018 edition ... which went to press in late 2017 after being updated mostly in 2016-17 so ... there's that. It's already four (or more) years behind the times in terms of firearms, foods, first aid, etc.

Most importantly, to me at least, she almost completely avoided some seriously important aspects of post shtf survival and prepping in advance of such a scenario from a fiduciary financial standpoint. Not to mention dealing with various social and regional (human to human related) issues, dangers and sticky wickets.

Common sense and a genetic predisposition to prepare, (an inborn survival mentality), as well as interaction on forums such as this one and a drive and willingness to get it done ... those are things that will get you further than investing $30 or more on that particular book.

On the other hand One Second After has lit a fire under more friends of mine (I always buy cheap copies at used book stores when I see them and give them out as gifts to friends and family) than did my decades of asking them, sometimes almost begging them, to prepare before now.

One Second After, combined with our current social situation, has awakened a lot of people ... also illustrated by gun sales. (The ammo shortage caused by both demand and Covid-19 make it interesting - ammo is the new precious metal IMHO) Between gun sales and previous toilet paper shortages (lol) prepping has finally gone mainstream. That's a good thing for us actually.

One Second After (while I have some major issues with that book having raised my family camping in and around the Black Mountain area and along the Blue Ridge Parkway) was well-timed and is the standard, at the moment anyway, for prodding people into prepping.

Dare to Prepare might definitely be considered, for now at least, a good resource for those just now getting into the game .... a starter's shopping list if you will, but a poor how-to manual.

Just curious...what issues with the book concerning the Black Mtn area would you have? Only wondering.
The author of the book is from there, too. Ive been acroos Black Mtn many many dozen times...gorgeous area.
And if that book dont "light the fire" in someone, nothing will.

MR_JOSHUA
05-12-21, 20:23
I hear "The Shining" is a really good read. (better than movie)