PDA

View Full Version : Good shtf Book Suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

devildogljb
10-07-10, 03:58
Im looking for good books to read that have to deal with when shtf. Mostley looking for fictional books that tell a good story but you can still learn.

l3mon
10-07-10, 05:56
Patriots isn't bad, lots of info

devildogljb
10-07-10, 06:01
whos the author ?

l3mon
10-07-10, 06:05
http://www.google.com/m/products/detail?oe=UTF-8&source=gp2&client=safari&q=patriots+book&channel=products&hl=en&cid=6715339751072541387

James Wesley rawles

devildogljb
10-07-10, 06:11
http://www.google.com/m/products/detail?oe=UTF-8&source=gp2&client=safari&q=patriots+book&channel=products&hl=en&cid=6715339751072541387

James Wesley rawles

thanks going to start reading it now keep the suggestions comming every one

jwfuhrman
10-07-10, 08:40
One Second After is probably one of the best books I have EVER read.

William R Forstchen is the author. If your into History at all, especially American history, he also wrote To Try Men's Souls. VERY good book as well.

sproc
10-07-10, 09:07
I second the recommendations above for Patiots and One Second After. After that I'd go with:

Lucifer's Hammer (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0449208133)

The Road (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307265439) (worst case scenario, not a fun read, but still good)

Day by Day Armageddon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1439176671) (not as informative as the others, but still a fun, quick read)

rudy99
10-07-10, 09:59

x2, very good read and gives your a lot of things to think about when it comes to an EMP strike.

Littlelebowski
10-07-10, 10:45
Day by Day Armageddon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1439176671) (not as informative as the others, but still a fun, quick read)

That's my best friend of 21 years. I'm mentioned in the first book.

Littlelebowski
10-07-10, 10:48
Patriots isn't bad, lots of info

Literary trash. Very religious.

Recommend The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse (http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Survival-Manual-Surviving-Economic/dp/9870563457) written by a man who actually survived the economic collapse in Argentina.

R.P.
10-07-10, 11:27
The Enemies Foreign and Domestic trilogy of books

The Road (did not like as well as I thought I would have)

Patriots (lots of tips and suggestions on prepping. The author of this book also has a website, survivalblog.com)

jwfuhrman
10-07-10, 12:47
I will agree, Patriots was kind of stupid. What I did like about the book was how it went with the Economic crisis we have today. Laid out what very well good happen if we continue on the path we are.... other than that it was STUPID

Jerm
10-07-10, 13:23
Patriots was horrible... Unreadable IMO (I couldn't make it halfway through despite my best effort).

One Second After was better but I'm still not a fan.

The Road wasn't bad... Overrated IMO though.

Unfortunately educational and a good read don't go together much in the genre (so far as I've seen).

If you want a good read start with the Day by Day books. Zombies or no, at least the author knows his shit. The Stand isn't bad (although not at all a source for practical knowledge)... Just started The Gunslinger/Dark Tower books (on #2) and I would classify them similar to The Stand so far (only better)... Good reads but not very usefull beyond that.

Have Lucifers Hammer waiting on me now...

Educational?... look for some good manuals. LL's recommendation is good as well.

Littlelebowski
10-07-10, 13:25
Lucifer's Hammer is good if you can get past the 70's era stuff. I couldn't the second time around.

afff_667
10-07-10, 13:48
I'm enjoying the Day by Day books, as well. I bought them together and raced through them pretty quickly but have gone back and am taking my time. I generally read for pleasure at night just before bed...real or not, zombies scare the shit out of me.

Can you tell me where? Please pass along to Bourne a word of thanks both for the books and his service.

devildogljb
10-07-10, 14:07
I'm enjoying the Day by Day books, as well. I bought them together and raced through them pretty quickly but have gone back and am taking my time. I generally read for pleasure at night just before bed...real or not, zombies scare the shit out of me.

Can you tell me where? Please pass along to Bourne a word of thanks both for the books and his service.

Day by Day books ive read both they where great books finished both of them in a week i couldnt put them down alot of sleepless nights because i had to know what happened next. I started Reading One Second After last night so far so good.

Littlelebowski
10-07-10, 14:22

I'm "Shep," the Marine in San Diego. He's working on another novel and I cannot give details out about it.

RogerinTPA
10-07-10, 15:08
"How to survive the end of the world as we know it: Tactics, techniques and technologies for uncertain times."

Interesting read so far. Just into the first few chapters. It also covers recommended ammo per weapon, water, gardening, food storage, medical supplies/training, survival retreat, etc...

HES
10-07-10, 20:49
Patriots isn't bad, lots of infoLiterary trash. Very religious.
Agreed. A metric ton load of info. Some of it good, some of it is pure bupkis based on preconceived notions and some of it I am not qualified to comment on. As for the writing; for crying out loud where was the editor on this project? My 9 year old writes better and in a more compelling manner than that.

Another vote for 'One Second After' and 'Lucifer's Hammer' (which I am re-reading now)

I started Reading One Second After last night so far so good.
Let me know when you cry. There is a section of the book that has made every guy I know who read it get misty eyed at the bare minimum.

RiggerGod
10-07-10, 23:16
Definitely a little more on the sci-fy end of things but I have really enjoyed:

The Postman by David Brin

The Change Series by SM Sterling (Dies the Fire is the first book)

Both of those were pretty good stories and did a good job of getting me to start thinking about prepping. I have also read most of the above mentioned books and have generally liked and learned from them all.

Not so apocalyptic but I've also enjoyed Alone in the Wilderness by Richard Proenneke (spl?) Neat guy and a good read. For very readable (but a bit dated) general outdoors book I've enjoyed The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher.
Just a couple of favorites. I'll try and remember some more. Enjoy!

PS: I find it very interesting that so many folks who prep are also big readers. Somehow I find that very comforting and hopeful.

EchoMirage
10-08-10, 07:42
I'm "Shep," the Marine in San Diego. He's working on another novel and I cannot give details out about it.

third day by day installment we hope?

id like to add my input just for the hell of it. the first book was fantastic, and the way it read really gave you a feel that you picked up someones journal and started reading. the second book felt more like a regular novel, with chapters broken up into days/journal entries, rather then the typical chapter 1, 2, etc. the sheer length and depth of detail described in every 'day' was simply too much to conceivably be written down in a journal while escaping zombies.

this isnt a bad thing, and i loved reading every second of it. i was just wondering if Bourne wanted to go in a different direction with the second book, ie: novel instead of journal.

EchoMirage
10-08-10, 07:48
Im looking for good books to read that have to deal with when shtf. Mostly looking for fictional books that tell a good story but you can still learn.

all the others mentioned. any survival manual will also give you good info. ive just started 'one'. i dont think its a zombie book, as ive just gotten maybe 100 pages in so far. the basic premise is some massive cataclysmic event happened, and someone happened to be diving deep underwater, came up, and saw the entire earth scorched and dead. kind of a 'last man on earth' deal. it does give a good read, and some ideas as to what would you do if you found yourself the last man alive.

exheroes is a short, but very good zombie book. its about superhereos banding together after the ZPAW. gives an interesting, and very different view.

world war Z, zombie combat manual, zombie survival manual are all ZSHTF staples.

Neville
10-08-10, 09:04
Doesn't the author of "Lights out" try to have it printed? Anyway, its quite a good read.

sammage
10-08-10, 10:31
Doesn't the author of "Lights out" try to have it printed? Anyway, its quite a good read.

That was a good one too, along with Cold Camp. The Day By Day Armageddon books are great too.

Alex V
10-08-10, 13:33
Another vote for 'One Second After' and 'Lucifer's Hammer' (which I am re-reading now)

Let me know when you cry. There is a section of the book that has made every guy I know who read it get misty eyed at the bare minimum.

I deff. teared up. My Mother cried. Grandma cried. My GF flipped out and balled hysterically, not going to say what she said because it may give away parts of the book but it was hilarious to me, while she had tears all down her face. My cousin [female] cried on the plane from CA to NJ when she read it. Said people thought she was nuts.

One of the best books I have ever read bar none!

Naxet1959
10-08-10, 17:31
Okay, I liked Patriots. There were parts that were too much detail but I understand why. The style was so so but still a good read... One Second After was very good although a touch depressing but then, it would be if it happened. Lucifer's Hammer was interesting, it felt more sci fi and was dated but still a decent read. Lights Out was entertaining, I have it stored on my laptop for re-reading on the road. Day by Day Armegedon was witty and different. I'm not much of a Zombie man but enjoyed it, especially the flying part (have the private pilot license and know the area in Texas). Try Alas Babylon for some old school sci fi, sits in the same genre.

For what its worth, the sequel to Patriots will be coming out soon and he's working on the third book right now...

Jabroni
10-08-10, 17:48
Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life. by Neil Strauss.

I thought it was an interesting look into the journey of a Hollywood dickbeat author actually doing things to make him more self sufficient. I guess I saw it as a realistic approach to take baby steps in making yourself useful in a serious situation.

Warning: The first half is kind of a waste I though. He is basically worried about leaving the country more than survival. The second half is where you see him take a different approach to survival and self-sufficiency. I thought it was good and it seemed to really change the authors life.

I thought it was interesting anyway.

Muddyboots
10-08-10, 18:07
When all hell breaks loose by Cody Lundin.

Pull out the old foxfire books and the boy scout handbook.

Avoid Myke Hawke, Bear Grylls, and other poseurs! There are enough real deal teachers out there that teach and write. You don't need to get into the "Tracker/Scout" ethos of Tom Brown either.

it doesn't matter if the terrain is Urban or outback, the basics are the same!

Look up Hoodlums and TSP.

Yeah, I teach this stuff.

Muddyboots

EchoMirage
10-08-10, 18:12

neil needs to stick to picking up drunk girls in clubs and stay the hell away from disaster planning. he is the last person id ever take survival advice from.

Jerm
10-09-10, 00:46
Lights Out wasn't bad. It was better than One Second After and much better than Patriots IMO.

... Being free didn't hurt either.

I'm "Shep," the Marine in San Diego.

:cool:

I remember the name being mentioned in the book... But not the context. I'll have to pay closer attention when I get to the inevitable second reading.

dsmguy7
10-09-10, 05:01

James Wesley rawles

Are any of his non-fiction books any good (retreat locations etc.)?

Jellybean
10-09-10, 18:19

I deff. teared up. My Mother cried. Grandma cried. My GF flipped out and balled hysterically, not going to say what she said because it may give away parts of the book but it was hilarious to me, while she had tears all down her face. My cousin [female] cried on the plane from CA to NJ when she read it. Said people thought she was nuts.

One of the best books I have ever read bar none!
Darn you guys! Now I'm going to have to hunt this down to see what all the fuss is about. :laugh:

I have been a voracious reader my whole life, so it's nice to see a thread for books. Nice to know some people still read just for the hell of it.:)

On another note- I read Patriots too.
I have to say I'm about 60/40 against. I thought some of it was interesting to think about, and I liked how he went with a more possible financial meltdown, as opposed to the usual other stuff.
After that, I thought it was pure fantasy, and really unbelievable at points.

HES
10-10-10, 22:08
For what its worth, the sequel to Patriots will be coming out soon and he's working on the third book right now...
Oh please tell me he has a good editor. Please. Think of the children.

I have to say I'm about 60/40 against. I thought some of it was interesting to think about, and I liked how he went with a more possible financial meltdown, as opposed to the usual other stuff.
After that, I thought it was pure fantasy, and really unbelievable at points.
I think that is a fairly good read on it. He did put some things in there that seemed pure dime store novel material. Having said that I do think it is a good book to read when you look at the data in it and the way it makes you think.

I apologize if I sound like a snob when it comes to this book but I know too many authors and agents and am such a voracious reader that stuff like this just sticks out like counting the rounds being shot out of the good guys 1911 in a movie and then calling BS.

EchoMirage
10-11-10, 06:19
i havent read patriots, so someone tell me why everyone hates it? whats in it thats so bad?

HES
10-11-10, 22:55
i havent read patriots, so someone tell me why everyone hates it? whats in it thats so bad?
I don't hate it. Like I said its got oodles of information and I have to give Rawls credit for putting what is basically a how too book into an entertaining and to one degree or another engaging form to read. On that alone it is worth reading and I would suggest it to anyone

However his literary skill and story telling ability sucks big time. I can excuse a lot of the over the top stuff that happened. It is after all a work of fiction. Having said that he really needed a hard core editor / ghost writer to help him out. The premise of the book was good. However the characters were 2, if not 1 dimensional and to one degree or another were stereotypical. I felt also that he wrote the universe that the characters live in as he would like to see life, not as it is in reality. He did thankfully not include a "Mary Sue" in the story as far as I can tell. So he gets credit for that.

Again I suggest the book, just be forewarned of some of the pitfalls in it.

tsonda
10-14-10, 16:19
Deep Winter and Shattered by T.C. Sherry were quite good in my opinion. Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank was good though be warned it was written in 1959.

K.L. Davis
10-14-10, 19:58
I just wanted to thank everyone.. when this thread started, I really didn't give it long before it fell to the general rule:

So, here is the rub... this is not a forum to discuss how political, social, economical or extra-terrestrial influences may lead to things going awry. Please feel free to discuss steps to take in preparation for Natural Disaster, Civil Unrest, Terrorist Attack or the Collapse of Key Infrastructure; but please, no speculation, prediction, news or warnings of how/why/when any of these may happen.

But this has remained largely a review of the factual content and quality of writing - gotta love the crowd here. Thanks again.

Blstr88
10-15-10, 04:52
I read "Patriots", "How to Survive the End of the World as we Know it" and "One Second After". I dont think any have tons of great info specifically on survival or anything but they motivated me to take more action on the subject.

I just finished (a few hours ago), a book called "Earth Abides". It might be my favorite "SHTF" book Ive ever read. Really there is no useful information in it, but its just a great interesting read. It's a great read and really makes you think, I'd highly suggest it!

devildogljb
10-15-10, 05:29
so far im half way one second after and its a great read a little bit sad at certin parts but every one really needs to read the book

da6dspanburg
10-15-10, 07:12
I've read "Patriots". I agree ith most. I like his premise of an economic melt down versus some of the other scenarioes, definately more realistic. The 1st half or so was OK. I also liked that he carried this out, i.e. it didn't just get resolved overnight. It certainly makes you realize that if the SHTF, then you need to be ready for the long term, not a quick weekend getaway. I really thought the 2nd half wasn't as good. I just didn't buy his premise of UN troops and all that. And yes the characters were all pretty much sterotypes.

I'm in the process of reading all of the Change Series books by S.M. Stirling, the 1st one being "Dies the Fire" Realistic, maybe not, but great reading.

I read "Alas Babylon" way back in High School. Great story, but remember, it takes place 50 years ago! In the middle of the Cold War.

On a slightly different note, John Ringo's "The Last Centurian" is in the same subject matter, but the MeltDown is Global Warming/Cooling and a flu pandemic. If you're familiar with John Ringo's writting, then you know what to expect. His political (and other) views definately come through his main character. Not a lot of real survival info, but a good read anyway?
Now I need to go buy "One Second After" and "Lucifer's Hammer" to see what everyone is talking about. Thanks More books to Read!

Naxet1959
10-15-10, 09:03
I just finished (a few hours ago), a book called "Earth Abides". It might be my favorite "SHTF" book Ive ever read. Really there is no useful information in it, but its just a great interesting read. It's a great read and really makes you think, I'd highly suggest it!

I forgot about this one, a great read from back in the day!

HES
10-15-10, 15:28
so far im half way one second after and its a great read a little bit sad at certin parts but every one really needs to read the book
You aint seen sad yet. The book really makes you think.

EchoMirage
10-17-10, 19:26
after having read all of 50 pages of 'the patriot', i now see what everyone is talking about. i first read 'how to survive TEOTWAWKI', so i see many of his references. patriots reads like it was written by a rambo-wannabe 15 year old.

rawles is obviously a 1911/dodge fanboi, as ive lost count of how many 'gold cup' and 'power wagon' references there have been. there also seems to be many, many date/time errors. in one sentence, someone is in college during 2006, yet in 2001 he's married and scouting his retreat location.

im also getting sick of the numerous 'thanking god for this.......god created this.......lets drop to our knees right now and pray.'

with the pages so big, type so small, and so many leaves yet to turn, im not even sure im going to make it through the entire book. both of the 'day by day' books were WAY more enjoyable to read, and i daresay had more usable information in them.

rawles's entire philosophy centers around leaving everything/everyone and buying/living at a survival retreat immediately. IF one is capable of working from home, that might be a slightly possible option. but for those of us who actually work for a living.......am i supposed to email a welded joint to the job? teleconference some soldering?

HES
10-17-10, 23:07
Keep reading it. Completing the book is rumored to be the next addition to the rules of keeping your man card.

sparky241
10-17-10, 23:19
"unintended consequences". the first half is actual non fiction

"enemies foreign and domestic"

"patriots" isnt bad.

if you can find it there is a book called "lights out" by halffast
it was pulled from most sites because it is being shopped around for a movie or mini series.

but a few people saved it to there computer. If you ask around you can probable find it.

"day by day armegeddon" is a decent book about zombies.

and the follow up book is "beyond exhile"

i have alot of books about soldiers in war that are really good reading material. If your interested pm me.

Naxet1959
10-18-10, 09:34
if you can find it there is a book called "lights out" by halffast
it was pulled from most sites because it is being shopped around for a movie or mini series.

but a few people saved it to there computer. If you ask around you can probable find it.

I have saved a copy so if anyone would like it, I can e-mail it.

Dennis
10-18-10, 12:18
I forced down the first few chapters of Patriots, but the writing was just too flat for me. Even all his detailed gear descriptions were too much at some point and got in the way of the story. I flipped through and read areas that were interesting to me (barter, Templar), but the overall story and UN stuff was not interesting at all.

My favorite TSHTF book is still War Day, written by two writers who write about their life and travels around the USA after a limited nuclear exchange with Russia in the 1980's. Lots of interesting scenarios and thought provoking details. Not a complete collapse and shoot-em-up but much more interesting from a human and societal perspective. I don't know what it is, but TSHTF shoot-out scenarios just aren't as exciting for me as cop/war stories. Maybe there's just too much desperation for it to be entertaining.

http://www.amazon.com/War-Whitley-Kunetka-James-Strieber/dp/B000O7WYO4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1287421743&sr=8-2

Dennis.

tb417
10-18-10, 16:26
I read "Patriots" about ten years ago and I enjoyed it, but I lent it to somebody and had to buy an updated one. It seamed that as his blog became more popular he felt he needed to update it (the book.) Unfortunately it felt like he did it in a couple of hours and never proof-read it. I thought the original was better.

eta. I'm 200 pages into "One Second After" and am thoroughly enjoying it, thank you guys.

EchoMirage
10-18-10, 21:16
ive gone around 150 pages into patriots......and again i have to say this book is complete garbage. most of the downfall was i read his TEOTWAWKI book first.......now patriots reads like he simply smashed together a survival handbook and a 5th graders 'what i did over summer vacation' essay.

the constant religious references are making me sick, and isnt it amazing that the only people 'the group' has met that werent jesus freaks turned out to be cannibal looters??

the characters in this book are making me sick. especially the bible thumping dictator todd, aka rawles himeself. if anyone is considering buying it, save your money. all its good for is tinder during a survival exercise. read the TEOTWAWKI manual instead. its the same damn thing, minus the dime store novel backdrop.

Jerm
10-18-10, 22:51
I didn't make it far enough into Patriots to see any of the facism (not surprised though)... Seriously doubting I will (man card be damned). But I did think One second After had some strong leanings of that nature. It seems some of these books are nothing more than dictatorial wet dreams... Of course they rule righteously (*cough* and with an iron fist *cough*).

BTW- Gunslinger/Dark Tower books (some what/loosely related to the topic).

I'm thinking of taking back my recommendation...

I had mixed feelings on book #2... I recently started book #3 and so far, not good IMO. I haven't given up yet but I'm considering it. If book #3 doesn't really pick back up I'll probably ditch the series. They're a little too "out there" for my taste.

da6dspanburg
10-19-10, 07:15
I didn't make it far enough into Patriots to see any of the facism (not surprised though)... Seriously doubting I will (man card be damned). But I did think One second After had some strong leanings of that nature. It seems some of these books are nothing more than dictatorial wet dreams... Of course they rule righteously (*cough* and with an iron fist *cough*).

BTW- Gunslinger/Dark Tower books (some what/loosely related to the topic).

I'm thinking of taking back my recommendation...

I had mixed feelings on book #2... I recently started book #3 and so far, not good IMO. I haven't given up yet but I'm considering it. If book #3 doesn't really pick back up I'll probably ditch the series. They're a little too "out there" for my taste.

I've read the series and some are way better than others. Near the end, I think He was just trying to find a way to finish the series. It was getting a little crazy when his characters showed up in his town and talked to himself (Stephen King). Way too weird. The ending of the series sort of wraps things up, but I think it was too cliche-ish.

Jerm
10-19-10, 19:49
I guess I'm not even midway through yet (what is there, 7 books?)... And things are already getting a little too far fecthed for me. I just finished with meeting the first "guardian".

I liked the first book anyway. The story just seems to have gone in a direction I wasn't expecting after reading book #1.

... Sounds like it just gets worse.

Just downloaded WWZ, The Purple Cloud (free on Kindle), and Ex-Heroes. :cool:

Vic303
10-19-10, 22:22
Malevil == Malevil is a 1972 science fiction novel by French writer Robert Merle.

And folks have already mentioned the other old classic, Alas Babylon.

But you cannot beat Larry Correia for fun: Monster Hunter International, and the just released sequel, Monster Hunter-Vendetta.

csheehy
10-22-10, 11:22
But you cannot beat Larry Correia for fun: Monster Hunter International, and the just released sequel, Monster Hunter-Vendetta.

Those books are more about preventing TEOTWAWKI, aren't they?:)

I can highly recommend Word Made By Hand and The Witch of Hebron, both by James Howard Kunstler. Set 10-15 years in the future, the world has come apart due to an economic/governmental armageddon brought on by "peak oil" (Kunstler is a big believer in peak oil and its ramifications). The books go into quite a bit of detail on the everyday lives and struggles of the residents of an upstate NY small town.

Chris Sheehy

BBossman
10-25-10, 16:24
Day by Day books ive read both they where great books finished both of them in a week i couldnt put them down alot of sleepless nights because i had to know what happened next. I started Reading One Second After last night so far so good.

I picked up both at Borders on Saturday on the many recommendations here. Finished the first Sunday morning, the second on the train this afternoon. Lots of fun to read.

devildogljb
10-25-10, 17:12
You aint seen sad yet. The book really makes you think.

yeah its def making me think and starting to freak me the hell out lol makes me want to spend alot of money for if something like this happens

devildogljb
10-25-10, 17:14
I guess I'm not even midway through yet (what is there, 7 books?)... And things are already getting a little too far fecthed for me. I just finished with meeting the first "guardian".

I liked the first book anyway. The story just seems to have gone in a direction I wasn't expecting after reading book #1.

... Sounds like it just gets worse.

Just downloaded WWZ, The Purple Cloud (free on Kindle), and Ex-Heroes. :cool:

WWZ is a good book ive read it 2 times already and going to read it again after i finish one second after, but its more for entertainment doesnt really give you any good ideas for when shtf

Naxet1959
10-27-10, 07:52

I can highly recommend Word Made By Hand and The Witch of Hebron, both by James Howard Kunstler. Set 10-15 years in the future, the world has come apart due to an economic/governmental armageddon brought on by "peak oil" (Kunstler is a big believer in peak oil and its ramifications). The books go into quite a bit of detail on the everyday lives and struggles of the residents of an upstate NY small town.

Chris Sheehy

Just checked out World by Hand from the library yesterday, good book! Thanks for the referral!:D

anachronism
11-01-10, 21:38
Alas, Babylon is always a favorite, but hopelessly out of date. I still own 2 copies of it because of sentimentality. Lucifers Hammer is one of the best, mainly because of the way the characters develop. Not much usable information there, outside of insights into human nature. Patriots is full of useful information, but not everyone wants to form a Militia, or even be part of a large group. The religious aspect is a turnoff too. The first ten or so installments of "The Survivalist" are pretty good, until the Sci-Fi aspect kicks in. Othe possibilities include the "Ashes" series, starting with "Out of the Ashes". Ignore the porn.

Serpico1985
11-14-10, 11:59
Just finished both Day by Day books. Read them in 3 days. Awesome books. Any word on the third installment?

Naxet1959
11-14-10, 15:59

I can highly recommend Word Made By Hand and The Witch of Hebron, both by James Howard Kunstler.

Chris Sheehy

Just finished the Witch of Hebron last night, both were very fun to read.

cowpuncher
11-22-10, 19:23
I've read most of the books listed in this thread. While I agree that Rawles' literary abilities are abysmal, I still use Patriots as an introductory book for non-preparedness minded folks. I just tell them it's an idealist checklist disguised as poor fiction, and you better be able to ignore the bible-thumping.....

I read World Made by Hand this past summer and was favorably impressed. The author also wrote a non-fiction piece that was an interesting look at things, "The Long Emergency."

I'd add two more very political oriented books, both by Wyoming writers, although you'll have to overlook some of their politics, some of the plot can be mildly entertaining.

"Neither Predator nor Prey" is by Mark Spungin, a former CSM, and NCOIC of the WYARNG Marksmanship unit.

"Molon Labe" by Kenneth Royce, AKA "Boston T. Party."

john1969
11-22-10, 19:39
Boston surviving Y 2 K and other disasters. http://javelinpress.com/surviving_y2k.html I have one new I can let go.

scanda
11-27-10, 11:39
I have most of the above books mentioned, I will 2nd the "Molon Labe" recommendation.
I just started reading http://www.bigwentertainment.com.au/coverscan/1325000/1321333.jpg series of books, sort of a Australian "Red Dawn" scenario. Really easy read(8th grade level) and they just made a movie based on the series of books. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KhErNyiq8

jumpthestack
11-27-10, 17:39
Check out "Safe Area Gorazde" by Joe Sacco.

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Area-Gorazde-Eastern-1992-1995/dp/1560974702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290900983&sr=8-1

"Safe Area Gorazde is Joe Sacco's 240-page opus about the war in the former Yugoslavia. Sacco spent four months in Bosnia in 1995-1996, immersing himself in the human side of life during wartime, researching stories rarely found in conventional news coverage. The book focuses on the Muslim enclave of Gorazde, which was besieged by Bosnian Serbs during the war. Sacco spent four weeks in Gorazde, entering before the Muslims trapped inside had access to the outside world, electricity or running water. "

I didn't like Lucifer's Hammer at all. It takes about 200 pages or 2/3 of the book before the comet even hits, and nothing happens in that time.

usmcvet
11-27-10, 18:16

Both Armageddon books are great reads. I look forward to the third. I still think them as I drive up and down the highway. I like the problem solving not so much the Zombie angle. I could not out them down I devoured both books.

tc556guy
12-08-10, 18:36
My collection:

A Canticle for Leibowitz Walter M. Miller, Jr
A Gift Upon the Shore M.K. Wren
A Heritage of Stars Clifford D. Simak
A Hunters Fire Floyd D. Dale
A Hymn Before Battle John Ringo
A meeting at Corvalis S.M. Stirling
A Sweet Sweet Summer Jane Gaskell
A Time for Dragons Gary Gentile
After the Bomb Gloria D. Miklowitz
After the Rain John Bowen
Aftermath Charles Sheffield
Aftershock Chuck Scarborough
Afterwar Janet Morris ( editor )
Against the Fall of Night Arthur C. Clarke
Against the Tide of Years S.M. Stirling
Alas, Babylon Pat Frank
The Alien Years Robert Silverberg
All Fools day Edmund Cooper
Alongside Night J. neil Schulman
Agviq Michael Armstrong
Among Madmen Jim Starlin, Daina Graziunas
The Andromeda Strain Michael Crichton
Ariel Steven R. Boyett
Armageddon 2419 A.D. Philip Francis Nowlan
Armageddon’s Children Terry Brooks
Armor John Steakley
Ashes Ashes Rene Barjavel
Atlantis Greg Donegan
Ballroom of the Skies John D. MacDonald
Beasts John Crowley
Between the Strokes of Night Charles Sheffield
Beyond Armageddon Walter M Miller Jr ( editor )
Beyond the Burning Lands John Christopher
The Black Death Gwyneth Cravens, John S. Marr
Black Monday Bob Reiss
Body Armor: 2000 Joe Haldeman ( editor )
Bone Dance Emma Bull
The Breaking Earth Keith Laumer
Califia’s Daughters Leigh Richards
Cally’s war John Ringo, Julie Cochrane
The Calling of Bara Sheila Sullivan
Carriers Patrick Lynch
Cataclysm :Day the World Died Don Pendleton
Chicago Red R.M. Meluch
Childhoods End Arthur C. Clarke
City of Illusions Ursula K. LeGuin
Conquistador S.M. Stirling
Costigan’s Needle Jerry Sohl
Countdown to Midnight H. Bruce Franklin ( editor)
The Country of the Blind Michael Flynn
Damnation Alley Roger Zelazny
Dark December Alfred Coppel
Darkening Island Christopher Priest
Davy Edgar Pangborn
Dawns Uncertain Light Neal Barrett, Jr
The Day After Doomsday Rena Vale
The Day New York Went Dry Charles Einstein
The Day the Oceans Overflowed-Charles L. Fontenay
The Day of the Drones A.M. Lightner
Daybreak-2250 A.D. Andre Norton
Dead Morn Piers Anthony, Roberto Fuentes
Deadly Image Edmund Cooper
Deathday William C. Dietz
Deep Fathom James Rollins
Deus Ex Machina J.V. Brummels
Dhalgren Samuel R. Delany
Dies the Fire S.M. Stirling
Domain James Herbert
Doomsday Fred Warshofsky
Down There in the Darkness George Turner
Down to a Sunless Sea David Graham
The Drought J.G. Ballard
The Drowned World J. G. Ballard
Dune Frank Herbert
Dust Charles Pellegrino
The Dying Leslie Horvitz
Earthrise William C. Dietz
Earth Winter Richard Moran
Earthwreck! Thomas N. Scortia
Ecotopia Emerging Ernest Callenback
The Edict Max Ehrlich
Empire Orson Scott Card
The Empire of Ice Richard Moran
The End of the Dream John Brunner
Erewhon Samuel Butler
Eternity Road Jack McDevitt
Evolutions Shore Ian McDonald
Exiles Trilogy Ben Bova
Exit Earth Martin Caidin
Fallen Angels Larry Niven, jerry Pournelle, Michael Flynn
False Dawn Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
Farnham’s Freehold Robert A. Heinlein
Fire Lance David Mace
Fireworks James A. Moore
The First to Awaken Granville Hicks
Footfall Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle
Footprints of Thunder James F. David
The Forever Hero L.E. Modesitt, Jr
Future Primitive Kim Stanley Robinson ( editor )
The Gate to Women’s Country Sheri S. Tepper
Gorgon Child Steven Barnes
The Green Rain Paul Tabori
Greybeard Brian W. Aldiss
Gust Front John Ringo
The Harvest Robert Charles Wilson
Heat Arthur Herzog
Heavy Weather Bruce Sterling
Hell’s Faire John Ringo
Hello America J.G. Ballard
Here Abide Monsters Andre Norton
Hiero’s Journey Sterling E. Lanier
The Hot Zone Richard Preston
Ice Anna Kavan
Ice! Arnold Federbush
Ice and Iron Wilson Tucker
The Ice Schooner Michael Moorcock
Ice Quake Crawford Kilian
Ill Wind Kevin J. Anderson, Doug Beason
The Immortals Tracy Hickman
In The Drift Terry Carr ( editor )
Island in the Sea of Time S.M. Stirling
Iris William Barton. Michael Capobiango
Ironmaster Patrick Tilley
The Last Breath Eugene Carl Shaffer
The Last Hope of Earth Lan Wright
The Last Ship William Brinkley
The Last World War Dayton ward
Level 7 Mordecai Roshwald
Logans Run William F. Nolan, George Clayton Johnson
Logans World William F. Nolan
The Long Afternoon of Earth Brian Aldiss
The Long Tomorrow Leigh Brackett
Long Voyage Back Luke Rhinehart
The Long Winter John Christopher
Looking Backward Edward Bellamy
The Lost Continent Edgar Rice Burroughs
Lost Horizon James Hilton
Lucifers Hammer Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle
Make Room! Make Room! Harry Harrison
Malevil Robert Merle
The Man Who Awoke Lawrence Manning
The Marked Man Charles Ingrid
The Martian Chronicles Ray Bradbury
Maximum Ice Kay Kenyon
Memories Mike McQuay
Mister Touch Malcom Bosse
Mockingbird Walter Tevis
Moonfall Jack McDevitt
Nature’s End Whitley Strieber, james Kunetka
Nerves Lester Del Ray
The Nitrogen Fix Hal Clement
No Room For man Ralph S. Clem, Martin Harry Greenberg (editors )
Not This August C.M. Kornbluth
The Nuclear Catastrophe Bett Pohnka, Barbara C. Griffin
O-Zone Paul Theroux
October the First is Too Late Fred Hoyle
On the Beach Nevil Shute
Orion Shall Rise Poul Anderson
Other Americas Norman Spinrad ( editor )
The Parasite War Tim Sullivan
The Past Through Tomorrow Robert A. Heinlein
The Peace War Vernor Vinge
People of the Sky Claire Bell
Perfect People Robert Lieberman
Phantom Regiments Robert Adams ( editor )
The Plague Albert Camus
Plague War Jeff Carlson
Plague Year Jeff Carlson
Pockets of Resistance Will Sundown
The Postman David Brin
Pulling Through Dean Ing
The Puppet Masters Robert A. Heinlein
Pure Blood Mike McQuay
The Purple Cloud M.P. Shiel
Queen City Jazz Kathleen Ann Goonan
Re-Birth John Wyndham
Red Alert Peter Bryant
Red Shadows Yvonne Navarro
Revolt in 2100 Robert A. Heinlein
Rings of Ice Piers Anthony
Riverworld series## Philip Jose Farmer
The Road Cormac McCarthy
The Ruins of Earth Thomas M. Disch ( editor )
Saint Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman-Walter M. Miller, Jr
The Scourge of God S.M. Stirling
The Sea is Boiling Hot George Bamber
The Sheep Look Up John Brunner
Shudder Child Warren C. Norwood
Single Combat Dean Ing
Some Will Not Die Aldis Budrys
The Steel, the Mist, and The Blazing Sun- Christopher Anvil
The Stone War Medline E. Robins
The Sunrise Lands S.M. Stirling
Supernova Roger MacBride, Eric Kotani
Survival 2000 series: James McPhee
Blood Quest
Frozen Fire
Renegade War
Survival Margin Charles Eric Maine
Survival World Frank Belknap Long
Survivors John Nahmlos
The Sword of the Spirits John Christopher
Thunder of Time James F. David
The Time Connection Thomas F. Monteleone
The Time of the Great Freeze Robert Silverberg
Time Storm Gordon R. Dickson
The Time Swept City Thomas F. Monteleone
Tomorrow! Philip Wylie
The Trinity Paradox* Kevin J Anderson, Doug Beason
Triumph Philip Wylie
Twilight of the City Charles Platt
Under the City of Angels Jerry Earl Brown
The Vampire Earth series E.E. Knight
Vandenberg Oliver Lange
Vault of the Ages Poul Anderson
Vector Henry Sutton
Voices of Hope David Feintuch
Voyage from Yesteryear James P. Hogan
Walden Two B.F. Skinner
Wanderer Donald E. McQuinn
War and Peace Stanley Schmidt ( editor )
War Day Whitley Strieber, James Kunetka
A War of Shadows Jack L. Chalker
Warrior Donald E. McQueen
Wastelands John Joseph Adams ( editor )
Watch the Rhine John Ringo, Tom Kratman
Waters of Death Irving A. Greenfield
The Way the World Ends James Morrow
When the Devil Dances John Ringo
When Worlds Collide Edwin Balmer, Philip Wylie
Where The Late Birds Sang Kate Wilhelm
Wild Country Dean Ing
The Wild Shore Kim Stanley Robinson
The Wind From Nowhere J.G. Ballard
Wintermind Marvin Kaye. Parke Godwin
Winters Daughter Charles Whitmore
Witch Donald E. McQuinn
Wolf and Iron Gordon R. Dickson
The Wounded Planet Roger Elwood, Virginia Kidd ( editors )
Year of the Cloud Ted Thomas, Kate Wilhelm
The Year of the Quiet Sun Wilson Tucker
Yellow Eyes John Ringo, Tom Kratman
8.4 Peter Hernon
40 Minute War Janet & Chris Morris
1633 ( and sequels ) Eric Flint
43,000 Years Later Horace Coon

jasonhgross
12-08-10, 19:10
If the shit really does hit the fan, I want something with lots of pages for use as toilet paper. Softness would also be a criteria.

GMan 19
12-20-10, 22:33
Now you can buy Lights Out at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David-Crawford/dp/0615427359/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292905952&sr=8-2

Wojoman676
12-21-10, 21:24
i just ordered Patriots. looking foward to it!

recon
12-21-10, 21:36
http://lightsoutthebook.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615427359?ie=UTF8&tag=survivalmonke-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0615427359

Dave L.
12-21-10, 23:40
I was interested until I saw the youtube video of the author talking with James Yeager.

platoonDaddy
12-22-10, 04:34
Didn't read all the post, but if "Firefox" has been mentioned don't read on.

In the 70's I purchased the "Firefox" series (12 books) and believe me they are awesome. The skills used in rural Appalachia for generations and my grandparents when the came across on the boat.

The following link, you can download for free or purchase them from Amazon.

http://tslrf.blogspot.com/2009/07/download-firefox-books-for-free.html

EchoMirage
12-22-10, 08:18
i just ordered Patriots. looking foward to it!

youll have to sift through the religious garbage and totalitarian dictatorship of the main character (rawles himself, obviously) to get any decent info out of it. it really could have been a great book, if rawles had more writing skill then that of a 10yo composing a 'what i did during summer vacation' essay.

rangertab1
12-22-10, 16:15
Have read many of the books mentioned in this thread. All of them, eventually, lost my interest and agreeableness to some degree.

Whatever is coming compares to nothing man can fully grasp, so I think the more you read from different points of view, the future-wiser you become.

APOCALYPSE 2012 is a non-fiction work by Lawrence E. Joseph. Lots of scientific discussion that is easily understood. Lawrence talks about things that other physicists aren't comfortable discussing. He is independently wealthy and seems to give two shits about what some folks think about his information sharing.

It is a fun read and should open an eye to some more possibilities ahead. Since we are all trying to grasp and prepare for the future, Mother Nature is prolly gonna have her say. He focuses on lots of natural science with a spice of humor.

Happy Holidays to you all.

JCKnife
12-27-10, 11:19
As stated by others I found Patriots hard to get through but managed. It was good information cloaked in terrible literatire.

Alas, Babylon and Lucifer's Hammer (finishing it now) were both very good books in spite of their age.

For kids, something with good survival info and skills without the scary TEOTWAWKI stuff is My Side of the Mountain. My kids and I read it together from time to time.

scanda
12-27-10, 17:24
I have most of the above books mentioned, I will 2nd the "Molon Labe" recommendation.
I just started reading http://www.bigwentertainment.com.au/coverscan/1325000/1321333.jpg series of books, sort of a Australian "Red Dawn" scenario. Really easy read(8th grade level) and they just made a movie based on the series of books. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KhErNyiq8

Between Amazon/Kindle/and Google Books I read all 7 books in this series. I would recommend on pure SHTF entertainment value. Two thumbs up!

HES
01-26-11, 12:33
Now you can buy Lights Out at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David-Crawford/dp/0615427359/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1292905952&sr=8-2
Im about 25% of the way through this book and have to say it is a much better read than "Patriots". In fact I see some swipes the author takes at "Patriots". But both of them should be read to give one a more well rounded idea of what they will need preparation wise. I think that "Lights Out" teaches the reader to be more crafty in a survival situation, using a lot of field expedient resources and techniques.

EchoMirage
01-26-11, 12:36
a grocery receipt is a better read then patriots

Jerm
01-26-11, 17:05
I enjoyed Lights Out more than One Second After and much more than what I read of Patriots... Which really isn't saying alot.

Just finished Tooth and Nail...

On it's own merit it's good (not great). Relative to most of what's out there in the genre it was very good IMO.

Written from the troops on the grounds perspective during a "zombie-like" TEOTWAWKI. First time I've seen that done.

My biggest complaint was the repetitive descriptions of the gore/mayhem ("limbs flying... stinking, rotting flesh thrown everywhere... etc... etc").

justin_247
01-27-11, 09:34

I thought it was an interesting look into the journey of a Hollywood dickbeat author actually doing things to make him more self sufficient. I guess I saw it as a realistic approach to take baby steps in making yourself useful in a serious situation.

Warning: The first half is kind of a waste I though. He is basically worried about leaving the country more than survival. The second half is where you see him take a different approach to survival and self-sufficiency. I thought it was good and it seemed to really change the authors life.

I thought it was interesting anyway.

Seriously? It's absolute garbage. I read it in a few hours on a plane trip across the states and I accidentally left it on the plane. I was a bit angry for about 2 seconds, but then I came to my senses at what a bad book it was and suddenly didn't care anymore.

There was basically no good information in that book.

Buy some Boy Scout merit badge pamphlets instead.

ekengle
02-12-11, 20:36
Not sure if this would be to anyones liking or not.

Prey by Michael Crichton
(http://www.amazon.com/Prey-Michael-Crichton/dp/0061703087/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297564005&sr=1-1)
I haven't gotten into it yet but have heard good things. Once I finish Patriots and then re-read One Second After I will start Prey.

The back of the book says:

"In the Nevada desert, an experiment has gone horribly wrong. A cloud of nanoparticles - micro robots - has escaped from the laboratory. This cloud is self-sustaining and self-reproducing. It is intelligent and learns from experience. For all practical purposes, it is alive.
It has been programmed as a predator. It is evolving swiftly, becoming more deadly with each passing hour.
Every attempt to destroy it has failed. And we are the prey."

Basically sounds like the Gray Goo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo) theory. Anyone read this yet? Opinions?

Littlelebowski
02-12-11, 20:53
Prey sucked and it's not an SHTF type of book.

TacticalTaco
02-12-11, 22:15
World War Z

Excellent read, you'd probably think it actually happened after reading it. Very well written. It takes about 60 or so separate accounts of people from all over the world, different walks of life, religions, jobs, and lets them tell how they dealt with " The great panic". I think it's 10.99 on amazon right now, softback.

ekengle
02-12-11, 22:33
I plan on ordering WWZ soon. I enjoy a good Z flick so hopefully since we don't have any of those coming out soon it will suffice.

What sucked about Prey? Was it the story you didn't like or how it was written? I haven't read it yet so I don't know much about it. I found a copy awhile back on a discount rack for a buck or two so I picked it up.

Packman73
02-12-11, 22:38
I read Patriots and loved it. Subscribing for some others.

EchoMirage
02-13-11, 08:16
im over 100 pages into lucifers hammer, and cant believe how BORING it is. almost NOTHING has happened to progress the story line. just page after page about a high society party, some hippie mailman, a PM at a nuke plant screwing his secretary, and barely 4 pages about the actual comet and what may happen. i get the author is trying to establish characters, but christ.....its supposed to be about a comet hitting the earth, not some hippie mailman delivering junk mail.

HES
02-13-11, 11:18
Give it time. The book does spend, in my opinion, an inordinate amount of time on character development, but it does get better.

jwfuhrman
02-13-11, 11:58
One Second After is by far the best one Ive read.

World War Z was also a good book, just for the way it was written if any reason at all.

Patriots made me wanna smash my head against a wall at the stupidity. Now, I'm Lutheran, and follow my beliefs strongly, but DAMN, this guy is a Bible Thumping, Dodge fanboy, HK and Colt nut who is a little on the militant survivalist.

I'm gonna check out some of the other books recommended in this thread. Gonna need some reading material.... have 3 trips to Europe to make this year.... tis a long flight.

tc556guy
02-13-11, 18:25
im over 100 pages into lucifers hammer, and cant believe how BORING it is. almost NOTHING has happened to progress the story line. just page after page about a high society party, some hippie mailman, a PM at a nuke plant screwing his secretary, and barely 4 pages about the actual comet and what may happen. i get the author is trying to establish characters, but christ.....its supposed to be about a comet hitting the earth, not some hippie mailman delivering junk mail.

It is called Character development

recon
02-13-11, 19:15
http://www.amazon.com/How-Survive-End-World-Know/dp/0452295831

Packman73
02-13-11, 19:54

I'm about half way through this and it's got some good info but it's definitely geared for folks already living in a defensible retreat.

RogerinTPA
02-13-11, 20:17

Got it. It's a very good read on preparedness.

Irish
02-13-11, 20:28
Day By Day Armageddon - Good read and an interesting style of writing. I'll definitely be ordering the 2nd book in the near future.

One Second After - I really enjoyed reading it and it was well written although I blew through it in less than 2 days.

I started reading Lights Out this weekend and have enjoyed the first 1/3 of the book. Some really interesting insights thus far.

EchoMirage
02-14-11, 09:13
It is called Character development

no shit. so i really need to know all about a hippie mailman delivering junk mail to further the story of a comet hitting the earth? or what his beard looks like?

EchoMirage
02-14-11, 09:15

read that instead of patriots

tc556guy
02-14-11, 11:33
no shit. so i really need to know all about a hippie mailman delivering junk mail to further the story of a comet hitting the earth? or what his beard looks like?

Apparently the authors thought so.

jwfuhrman
02-18-11, 10:20
Just got Lights out, about 1/3 of the way thru it. At first it felt a little to much like that God awful excuse of a book "Patriots" what with the "Ranch". But now, its a damn good book. Really enjoying it. Alot along the lines of One Second After, just a different part of the country and how that area was effected and how they dealt with it.

Travis B
02-18-11, 11:08
Just got Lights out, about 1/3 of the way thru it. At first it felt a little to much like that God awful excuse of a book "Patriots" what with the "Ranch". But now, its a damn good book. Really enjoying it. Alot along the lines of One Second After, just a different part of the country and how that area was effected and how they dealt with it.

You're really going to love the rest of it. Gunny is my hero.

HES
02-18-11, 14:55
I think that last sentence is a great analysis of it over all. Im sure by now you are seeing some of the "swipes" at Patriots that are taking place.

jhs1969
02-18-11, 18:16
I read Patriots and loved it. Subscribing for some others.

Anyone have a link to Patriots, I may want to check it out.

Travis B
02-18-11, 18:53
Anyone have a link to Patriots, I may want to check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Surviving-James-Wesley-Rawles/dp/156975599X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298076779&sr=8-1

jwfuhrman
02-18-11, 20:09
I think that last sentence is a great analysis of it over all. Im sure by now you are seeing some of the "swipes" at Patriots that are taking place.

yep, im just over half done with it. They just got into the fight with the "gang" that came across the perimeter fence and Mark Turner faced down the 4 of them with just his 1911

Irish
02-18-11, 21:24
yep, im just over...

You should add a spoiler alert to your post. Not everyone's read the book or gotten that far along ;)

jwfuhrman
02-21-11, 08:42
Not gonna add details, but Im to a point in the book(3/4 done) where I definitely didn't see the things going on now happening.... very interesting twist, and a damn good book

HES
05-13-11, 20:45
Ok any more suggestions? I'm in the mood for a fiction EOTWAWKI book. Already read Patriots, Lucifer's Hammer, Light's Out, One Second After, Day by Day Armageddon (I & II), Alas Babylon.

recon
05-13-11, 21:15
http://www.amazon.com/How-Survive-End-World-Know/dp/0452295831/ref=pd_sim_b_6

HES
05-13-11, 23:00
Yeah I hit that one too. Im thinking that I have burned through all of the entertaining fiction out there that is worth reading on the subject.

EchoMirage
05-14-11, 07:14
quarantine, dead city, apocalypse of the dead

Jellybean
05-30-11, 23:03
I've read most of the books listed in this thread. While I agree that Rawles' literary abilities are abysmal, I still use Patriots as an introductory book for non-preparedness minded folks. I just tell them it's an idealist checklist disguised as poor fiction, and you better be able to ignore the bible-thumping.....

The problem is, for a first-timer, I have a feeling it's just going to reinforce the BS about the "evil phsycotic assault rifle toting anti-gov. militant survivalists all hiding out in their bunkers just laying in wait to take potshots at passing hippies and pro-choicers".:jester: Or something along those lines. You know what I mean.
If it were me, I'd start 'em off with something a little more benign, like a general preparedness "how to" guide...

....For kids, something with good survival info and skills without the scary TEOTWAWKI stuff is My Side of the Mountain. My kids and I read it together from time to time.
Wow. I actually saw the movie that was made of that back when I was a kid. Gave me all sorts of jolly ideas about running off to live in the wild....:laugh:

I'm with you there.
No I haven't read this particular book, and I get the whole character development thing. But this type of ridiculously in-depth meandering nonsense has ALWAYS pissed me off. Details, yes. But I just don't give a damn about what brand of coffee the character likes, what color tie he wore to work and the minute details of why he picked that specific color, the color of everyones underwear at the office, so forth and so on.
Blah!:bad:

Sounds like another one to add to the pile....
One second after was really great. I picked it up immediately after hearing about it here, and got so hooked I blew through it in 8 hours or so. A nice change of pace, especially after a certain other book that's been mentioned here...:p

jhs1969
05-31-11, 00:07
"Lights out", anyone have a link or the name of the author.

Travis B
05-31-11, 00:09
"Lights out", anyone have a link or the name of the author.

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David-Crawford/dp/0615427359

The hyperlink cuts it short, but the author is David Crawford.

jhs1969
05-31-11, 00:17
http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David-Crawford/dp/0615427359

The hyperlink cuts it short, but the author is David Crawford.

Thank you, a new one on my list.

Travis B
05-31-11, 00:20
Thank you, a new one on my list.

Not a problem. You'll definitely enjoy it.

RiggerGod
05-31-11, 02:18
For kids, something with good survival info and skills without the scary TEOTWAWKI stuff is My Side of the Mountain. My kids and I read it together from time to time.

Another book worth looking at for the kiddies is Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. It's the story of a young man surviving a small plane crash up in the wilds of in Canada. I read it as a kid and remember it being pretty good at the time. I believe it won a Newbery book award. There are even some sequels if you kid is a fast reader. Take a look

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1416936475/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=188MWSR1X26V1ZFJFVAT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

omega21
06-05-11, 10:13
My Side of the Mountain - wow! Haven't thought about that book in years! I think I'll go try and find it again.
Read Patriots and mostly agree with others' comments here, although I enjoyed the story as implausible as it was.
According to Wikipedia (you know, the source of all true and scientific knowledge):
"Also in April 2009, Rawles announced that he had signed a contract with the Atria and Pocket Books Divisions of Simon & Schuster to write two sequels to Patriots. Rawles described the project: "Unlike traditional sequels, the storylines of these novels will be contemporaneous with the economic collapse and invasion described in the first novel. There will be some overlap of characters, but most of the action will take place in different locales. My goal is to use these two books to write about a lot of different tactics, techniques, and technologies for survival." Release of the two sequels is scheduled for 2010 and 2011.[30]"

Anyone know what the deal is here? I havn't heard anything about sequals.

Naxet1959
06-05-11, 17:24
My Side of the Mountain - wow! Haven't thought about that book in years! I think I'll go try and find it again.
Read Patriots and mostly agree with others' comments here, although I enjoyed the story as implausible as it was.
According to Wikipedia (you know, the source of all true and scientific knowledge):
"Also in April 2009, Rawles announced that he had signed a contract with the Atria and Pocket Books Divisions of Simon & Schuster to write two sequels to Patriots. Rawles described the project: "Unlike traditional sequels, the storylines of these novels will be contemporaneous with the economic collapse and invasion described in the first novel. There will be some overlap of characters, but most of the action will take place in different locales. My goal is to use these two books to write about a lot of different tactics, techniques, and technologies for survival." Release of the two sequels is scheduled for 2010 and 2011.[30]"

Anyone know what the deal is here? I havn't heard anything about sequals.

Ask and ye shall receive:
Friday, June 3, 2011
Notes from JWR:

Starting Sunday June 5th, the new Radio Free Redoubt podcast will begin airing weekly. Please note that this is not my own podcast (so the views expressed do not necessarily reflect my own), but the folks who produce it seem sincere and level-headed. The podcast should provide a great forum for exchanging ideas--both for folks who already live in the American Redoubt, and for those that plan to relocate there.

--

Between now and mid-July, I'm wrapping up the writing of the second sequel to my novel "Patriots". The already-completed first sequel ("Survivors") is scheduled for release in October of 2011, and the second sequel (working title: "Citizens") is scheduled for release in October of 2012.

My follow-on project will be a weighty tome on firearms and other tools for survival. That should be published, Deo Volente, in 2013. So for the next 18 months, a greater portion of my writing in SurvivalBlog will be about tools and firearms. Today's first article is an example.
This can be found at survivalblog.com

Also, don't buy Lights Out... I have a copy on PDF that I can send for free...

omega21
06-11-11, 20:18
Thank you Naxet1959 - Appreciate it!

Packman73
06-11-11, 20:45
Thank you Naxet1959 - Appreciate it!

x2!!:cool:

Travis B
06-11-11, 23:23
Also, don't buy Lights Out... I have a copy on PDF that I can send for free...

C'mon! Support the author and reward him for his efforts to inform us with a great storyline. He took down all the digital copies for a reason. I think most of us can spare a few bucks to buy this book instead of getting a PDF copy for free.

recon
06-12-11, 08:50
Agree! I got the book. He has to make a living too!

Dave L.
06-12-11, 10:04
Agree! I got the book. He has to make a living too!

I bought it too. It's in my pile of books to read.

Moose-Knuckle
06-14-11, 19:46
I know I'm not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but. . .

seeing the cover alone on Patriots (not to mention it's title) screams some Cheaper Than Dirt customer of the century's wet dream.

Dave L.
06-15-11, 09:42
seeing the cover alone on Patriots (not to mention it's title) screams some Cheaper Than Dirt customer of the century's wet dream.

I bought this for my wife to read. I'm using it like an Overton Window where I show her the crazy far out ideas some have, in order to get her to warm up to simple preparations for any realistic scenario involving civil unrest.

So far she likes it (I have not read it yet). She was shocked at some of the concepts like cannibalism and hijacking. I think my master plan is working. :happy:

Travis B
06-15-11, 10:01
If you're not sure where someone stands on prepping and TEOTWAWKI, I wouldn't recommend starting them with Patriots. From raping, pillaging biker gangs to C4 explosives, about everything dirty (and real?) about SHTF is in there. If you want to slowly warm someone up to prepping, let them read the series by Terri Blackstock (the name of the series slips my mind at the moment). She writes about TEOTWAWKI, but with a lot less gore and a bigger focus on family unity and a deep larder. If you don't want to scare someone but want to get the idea out there, her books are a great place to start.

HES
06-19-11, 23:40
I know I'm not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but. . .

LMAO. damned near scored in the X ring with that one.

Redmanfms
06-20-11, 01:54
Honestly, none of the "survival" fiction I've read offers what I consider to be relevant "survival" information. As a way to generate interest and spark serious conversation with people not otherwise interested in survival/preparedness topics they can be useful, but I've found movies generally work better than books in that role, namely Threads, the original On the Beach, Panic in the Year Zero (which despite the asstastic title is far more serious than many movies on the topic), and a few others. Those that read recreationally can usually be engaged with straight-forward and logical discussion (unless they're Norah Roberts or Oprah BOTM fans).

The books I've found most useful as far as practical information are the old Boy Scout Handbook, some of the USA field manuals, Peterson Field Guides, and the back catalog of Mother Earth News (yeah, lots of hippy garbage but the '70s and '80s issues are actually really good), Backwoods Home Magazine continues to be a very good publication. There are others of course, this is a short list off the top of my head. Much of my library is actually dedicated to the topic of "survival" and self-sufficiency.

Patriotme
06-21-11, 08:31
Get "The Last Centurion" by John Ringo.
It's a great read and while it's not simply a survivalist book it does deal with TEOTWAWKI from a soldier's point of view and it talks about the mistakes an ineffective government makes in America. I can't tell you how good this book is. Everyone I know that read it raved about it. I will warn however that Liberals will not be able to finish reading it as most of the mistakes made by the post SHTF US gov are attributed to their failed philosophy.

Travis B
06-21-11, 09:59
Get "The Last Centurion" by John Ringo.
It's a great read and while it's not simply a survivalist book it does deal with TEOTWAWKI from a soldier's point of view and it talks about the mistakes an ineffective government makes in America. I can't tell you how good this book is. Everyone I know that read it raved about it. I will warn however that Liberals will not be able to finish reading it as most of the mistakes made by the post SHTF US gov are attributed to their failed philosophy.

The reviews on Amazon are mixed at best. Maybe I'll try it if I can find a cheap copy.

Patriotme
06-25-11, 10:33
I don't know if I would call it a SHTF/survivalist book. The shit has certainly hit the fan in the book though and the main character is an Army officer stationed and left behind in Iran after America withdraws it's military from around the globe. This American unit has to fight it's way back to civilization and a chance to get home.
America has an economic collapse and the onset of another little ice age such as the one we had in the 1600's. The USA has the rioting, starvation and breakdown in infrastructure that you would expect during an economic collapse.
Everything is made worse by an inefficient government run by extreme Left liberals that are more worried about protecting their base and making everything "Fair" than they are about fixing the problems. Those in the Red areas largely pull together and survive on their own by helping each other while those in the Blue areas sit on their ass waiting for government handouts and looted goods from the countryside. All of this is the backstory that occurs while the main character is fighting his way across the Middle East.
There is a lot of social commentary in this book and it should appeal to the survival minded individual or even the general Conservative gun owner/ex military man or woman.
If you are a Lefty or lean at all towards the Left you will absolutely hate this book. The President of the USA is a Hillary type character and she pretty much does everything possible in the wrong way.
I passed my copy of "The Last Centurion" around to Right leaning coworkers and they all loved it. There's no way anyone that is a Lefty could even finish it. I suspect that is the reason for the mixed reviews.

cgbills
07-02-11, 21:01
If you are looking for non-fiction books, the Foxfire books are a must read

cowpuncher
07-05-11, 18:45
Want to know how I live in an ideal place? (Besides county unemployment being less than 3% and the average median income being $60K?, elk, deer, and antelope in the yard, and gorgeous mountain views all day long...)

Our public library has Lights Out; Alas, Babylon; A Canticle for Leibowitz; Malevil, and a wide variety of non-fiction preparedness related texts. (There may be others of the novels listed here, I just haven't looked for them yet.)

Littlelebowski
07-05-11, 19:41
A Canticle for Leibowitz is phenomenal writing but I could never describe it as SHTF fiction.... Rawles' "writing" doesn't even qualify as Crayon scribblings of a 4 yr old compared to it.

cowpuncher
07-06-11, 19:14
Isn't it? I always hear it referred to in that vein. That sucks. Ah well, they've also got No Blade of Grass and Earth Abides in the statewide library system, so.....

QuietShootr
07-06-11, 19:19
Want to know how I live in an ideal place? (Besides county unemployment being less than 3% and the average median income being $60K?, elk, deer, and antelope in the yard, and gorgeous mountain views all day long...)

And where is this?

cowpuncher
07-06-11, 19:28
And where is this?

Somewhere in the intermountain west.....:lol:

If I throw it out there on a public forum, everyone would be trying to move here, right?

cowpuncher
07-08-11, 13:55
A Canticle for Leibowitz is phenomenal writing but I could never describe it as SHTF fiction....

Alright, so I sat down and read it last night. While it was well-written, and an interesting story, I'd have to agree, while it IS post-apocalyptic, it's not anywhere near the preparedness/survivalist genre.

Dave L.
08-26-11, 13:40
One Second After was the best book I have read this year.

Lights Out, was the second best. I enjoyed this story because it was longer and much more detailed, I would advise anyone interested in EMP type scenarios to read One Second After first, then Lights Out. I did this with seven other guys out here whoring those books out over and over.

My wife is reading Patriots right now, she actually likes it and is learning. I have not read it yet but she is starting to see why I buy and invest in certain things.

Right now I'm reading the Zombie Survival Guide (I thought it was a joke, but it seems serious to the author) :confused:

Redmanfms
08-27-11, 01:03
Right now I'm reading the Zombie Survival Guide (I thought it was a joke, but it seems serious to the author) :confused:

That's actually part of the joke, the deadpan delivery. Note who wrote it.

CRAMBONE
08-27-11, 01:34
If you are looking for non-fiction books, the Foxfire books are a must read

-I was thinking exactly the same thing reading this thread. I read the first one when I was in middle school. They are awesome reads. Im gonna try to get the entire series.

-And there is a chapter where they show you how to make a whiskey still, of course for medicinal purposes. :D Now if I could learn how to make Copenhagen I would be set for any type of situation.

Wiggity
08-27-11, 02:30
Idk if it qualifies as shtf, but Tom clancy's booms are absolutely awesome.

BBossman
09-21-11, 13:41
The next in the series "Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile" is set to release on 09-27-11. Its available for pre-order on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Day-Armageddon-Origin-Exile/dp/1451633033/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316630206&sr=1-5

sammage
09-21-11, 14:39
The next in the series "Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile" is set to release on 09-27-11. Its available for pre-order on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Day-Armageddon-Origin-Exile/dp/1451633033/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316630206&sr=1-5

Unfortunately, that's actually a compilation of the first two books, along with some bonus content. :( Great books all the same.

BBossman
09-23-11, 16:09
Unfortunately, that's actually a compilation of the first two books, along with some bonus content. :( Great books all the same.

yeah I see that now, good thing i didn't pre order. Got my hopes up when I saw it... :mad:

Blstr88
09-23-11, 17:42
Just started reading "Without Warning" by John Birmingham. So far so good. Unfortunately I've been trying to read it here and there inbetween work and it's going very piecemeal which I dont like...Im about 100 pages into it though. Gonna stop bringing it to work and save it for when Im home.

Blstr88
09-30-11, 17:43
yeah I see that now, good thing i didn't pre order. Got my hopes up when I saw it... :mad:

They'll be a third next year, Day by Day: Shatter Hourglass.

I finished Without Warning today too, it was good. It was definitely a TEOTWAWKI kind of book, however it focused on the bigger picture really, not so much individual survival. I liked it enough to order the sequel "After America". Also ordered James Rawles newest book coming out next week "Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse". I have mixed feelings about Rawles other 2 books, but I'll give this one a shot. (I work on drill ships and during my time at sea I have nothing else to do when Im not working anyway, so I read a LOT).

Oh also, the book "Lights Out" is now available too. I seem to remember it being well liked but was never available in a paper copy (only via download). Well I threw that in my Amazon cart too...

docsherm
10-11-11, 09:24
I started to read Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse by James Wesley, Rawles last night. So far I am about 5 chapters into it and I have to say that it is a very good book. Much better then Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse . It has the same premise as the first book, as a matter of fact it is almost the exact same "build up". The first thing is that it is much more realistic and it is not filled with the "how to" stuff like the first one was.

Like I said i am only 5 chapters into it but it is a very good book so far and I recommend it.

Travis B
10-11-11, 09:31
I started to read Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse by James Wesley, Rawles last night. So far I am about 5 chapters into it and I have to say that it is a very good book. Much better then Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse . It has the same premise as the first book, as a matter of fact it is almost the exact same "build up". The first thing is that it is much more realistic and it is not filled with the "how to" stuff like the first one was.

Like I said i am only 5 chapters into it but it is a very good book so far and I recommend it.

I felt that it was more rushed than Patriots. But a few of the story lines in Survivors were so much better than those in Patriots.

Blstr88
10-11-11, 10:02

Ordered mine on Amazon last week, should be waiting for me when I get home next week. Looking forward to it. I didnt love Patriots by any means but I did enjoy it, so Im looking forward to Survivors.

phirehawk
10-11-11, 10:12
Ordered mine on Amazon last week, should be waiting for me when I get home next week. Looking forward to it. I didnt love Patriots by any means but I did enjoy it, so Im looking forward to Survivors.

I just finished Survivors last night. I was unimpressed. I waited to order it until "Book Bomb" day for the author and seldom do I anticipate a book release. I was hyped up... it let me down. Not only was there less information, there were too many fragmenting stories that didn't really have an ending. This seems to be a lead-in book to his next book which would appear to be the struggle against the provisional government. I was disappointed, very disappointed.
I loved the re-release of Patriots, and must say that I will read the third of his novels, but not with the same anticipation I had to read this one. JWR, you are capable of much better. Focus on one story line at a time and develop each one. Write more novels for each line/region. When you have this many plots in one book you lose detail and story. I kinda felt like I was reading a book of short stories that were broken up and all mixed together.

NWPilgrim
10-11-11, 13:16
I ordered some reading material based on the comments in this thread and previous browsing at Amazon. Should be coming in next week.

Smedley Butler "War is a Racket: The Profit Motive Behind Warfare"
G. Edward Griffin "The Creature from Jekyll Island : A Second Look at the Federal Reserve"
Eustace Mullins "The Secrets of the Federal Reserve"

I've been meaning to read more about the origins of the Federal Reserve and influence of banksters on national policy, especially war making. When heroes such as Butler, Hackworth and Eisenhower warn the nation of the corruption behind foreign entanglements and loss of our young fighters, we should pay attention. I'm for a strong military for defense but the numerous failed entanglements can not be explained by happenstance.

Matthew Bracken "Enemies Foreign and Domestic"
Matthew Bracken "Foreign Enemies And Traitors"
Matthew Bracken "Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista"

I've been thinking about reading this series for some time and never got around to it. With the recommendation in this thread I figured it is time to see what they are about. Normally I would not order a complete series but all the comments I've read for the last couple of years are very positive.

David Crawford "Lights Out"

I read LO as it was released on the internet forums and it is one of the best TEOTWAWKI stories ever. Well written and plausible. Mainly I want to support his efforts, and it will be nice to re-read in hardcopy form. Plus, I think an EMP event is almost inevitable. The cheapest way to bring the US to its knees, that someday in the next 50 years someone will try it. Especially as nuclear technology spreads, we are weakened, and chaos grows amidst global economic hard times.

James Wesley Rawles "Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse"

I've read Rawles' Patriots, read his Survivalblog.com every day and some of his non-fiction books. Yes he does need a better editor, especially for the fiction books, that challenge his construction and does better proofreading. Also, I think a total collapse to the point of us running group patrols across the countryside with M1As and full camo is slight. I think FerFALs experience in Argentina os more likely for us, with possibly more severity (that is more crime and danger but still LEA and government functioning to some degree). And his insistence on Main Battle Rifles like the FAL and M1A I don't think is appropriate for everyone. There is a role for the carbine for more probably situations and for many people.

But I listen to Rawles because he is fully in. This is not theory for him but his lifestyle. He walks his talk. And I believe it is valuable to look at preps in perspective of the worst possible case when prepping for the more likely ones. And you have to realize that he developed his strategy in the 1980s and early 1990s and based it on technology at the time. He has a huge investment in things like the 1911 and M1A so his stories reflect that. Personally I chose the Glocks, AR15 and M1 Garand but the principles are the same.

Secondly, he is not one dimensional in only looking at firearms, weapons and tactics. He emphasizes balance with food/water, medical, skills, tools, etc. His approach may be overwhelming for most people (especially relocating) since he is looking at the worst possible scenario, but I think his principles and balance are sound.

Moose-Knuckle
10-12-11, 03:06
Smedley Butler "War is a Racket: The Profit Motive Behind Warfare"
G. Edward Griffin "The Creature from Jekyll Island : A Second Look at the Federal Reserve"
Eustace Mullins "The Secrets of the Federal Reserve"

I've been meaning to read more about the origins of the Federal Reserve and influence of banksters on national policy, especially war making. When heroes such as Butler, Hackworth and Eisenhower warn the nation of the corruption behind foreign entanglements and loss of our young fighters, we should pay attention. I'm for a strong military for defense but the numerous failed entanglements can not be explained by happenstance.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/RedpillMatrix.png

"You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes." -Morpheus

NWPilgrim
10-12-11, 03:08
Hmmm...Red pill...Blue pill....

Actually I was hoping for a pony!

Alex F
10-12-11, 09:42
The reviews on Amazon are mixed at best. Maybe I'll try it if I can find a cheap copy.

The Centurion is not available as a Kindle book, lame.

Javelin
10-12-11, 10:00

That looks like a good book.

HES
10-12-11, 22:09

Im about the same into the book and from a technical standpoint I do think he improved. However at the same time I think he took the hoo-ha and religious settings and turned the dial up to 11.

Travis B
10-12-11, 22:13
Im about the same into the book and from a technical standpoint I do think he improved. However at the same time I think he took the hoo-ha and religious settings and turned the dial up to 11.

They're really strong towards the last half of the novel. I didn't really mind it but it's there.

NWPilgrim
10-27-11, 11:53
In the last couple of weeks I read Rawles Survivors book and the first two of Bracken's Enemies trilogy.

Survivors was a it of a let down. I think Rawles has lots of good survivalist knowledge and has been a long time loudspeaker about the very economic woes we are now realizing. The editing in this latest book is better. BUT, the story is just too thin to stand on its own. It feels like a series of chapters wedged between the events of the complete story in Patriots. It has potential but just does not seem developed enough to be a satisfying read. Seems like it is a bunch of story clips but no complete story.

Enemies however is a fantastic series! Bracken writes very well, the editing is tight, and the story is richly developed. The first book is mostly about Federal agencies overstepping legal boundaries, especially toward firearms owners and dealers. Feels sort of like a companion to John Ross' Unintended Consequences. I appreciated that Bracken does not use gratuitous obscenities, explicit sexual descriptions or other crutches to make the story "more realistic." His story line, narrative and dialogue are plenty gripping without what I consider offensive language and descriptions.

The second book is more about economic collapse, Balkanization of the US and particularly the encroaching Aztlan movement in the SW. Again, a richly developed story and characters, plenty of action, and excellent editing. Bracken is one of the best writers I've come across in the gun rights/survivalist genre.

I have never bought an entire trilogy by a writer I've never read before, but I am glad I did this time. Thanks to all in this thread who recommended Bracken. Looking forward to read his third book and then the latest one released this year.

Guilty
10-27-11, 12:22
In the last couple of weeks I read Rawles Survivors book and the first two of Bracken's Enemies trilogy.

Survivors was a it of a let down. I think Rawles has lots of good survivalist knowledge and has been a long time loudspeaker about the very economic woes we are now realizing. The editing in this latest book is better. BUT, the story is just too thin to stand on its own. It feels like a series of chapters wedged between the events of the complete story in Patriots. It has potential but just does not seem developed enough to be a satisfying read. Seems like it is a bunch of story clips but no complete story.

Enemies however is a fantastic series! Bracken writes very well, the editing is tight, and the story is richly developed. The first book is mostly about Federal agencies overstepping legal boundaries, especially toward firearms owners and dealers. Feels sort of like a companion to John Ross' Unintended Consequences. I appreciated that Bracken does not use gratuitous obscenities, explicit sexual descriptions or other crutches to make the story "more realistic." His story line, narrative and dialogue are plenty gripping without what I consider offensive language and descriptions.

The second book is more about economic collapse, Balkanization of the US and particularly the encroaching Aztlan movement in the SW. Again, a richly developed story and characters, plenty of action, and excellent editing. Bracken is one of the best writers I've come across in the gun rights/survivalist genre.

I have never bought an entire trilogy by a writer I've never read before, but I am glad I did this time. Thanks to all in this thread who recommended Bracken. Looking forward to read his third book and then the latest one released this year.

Matthew Bracken has another book that was released several months ago, Castigo Cay. If you like his writing style, you should like the new book. Personally, I liked the story line of the Enemies trilogy better (I have read each book x2) but Castigo Cay was still a good read. The first 8 chapters of Castigo Cay can be read here. (http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/excerpt19.htm)

HES
10-30-11, 19:59
They're really strong towards the last half of the novel. I didn't really mind it but it's there.
I'll be franks. As a typical lapsed Roman Catholic normally it doesn't bother me one bit. But reading the book I feel like a baby seal getting clubbed to death. In fact from that perspective I was amazed that he even mentioned Roman Catholic characters. But regardless, in the end, I felt the book tried to accomplish too much in too short of a space. It eventually took me having to have a sheet of paper on the side to keep up with who is who and I think Rawles may have lost track as well. He had good intentions with this one and he kinda reached his goals. Honestly I think that with a better / more forceful / powerful editor his books over all could improve quite a bit. I applaud his effort to avoid using unnecessary profanity but even so, some times a profanity laced word or two would not hurt the story line. I hope that he continues to improve.

NWPilgrim
10-31-11, 13:02
I'll be franks. As a typical lapsed Roman Catholic normally it doesn't bother me one bit. But reading the book I feel like a baby seal getting clubbed to death. In fact from that perspective I was amazed that he even mentioned Roman Catholic characters. But regardless, in the end, I felt the book tried to accomplish too much in too short of a space. It eventually took me having to have a sheet of paper on the side to keep up with who is who and I think Rawles may have lost track as well. He had good intentions with this one and he kinda reached his goals. Honestly I think that with a better / more forceful / powerful editor his books over all could improve quite a bit. I applaud his effort to avoid using unnecessary profanity but even so, some times a profanity laced word or two would not hurt the story line. I hope that he continues to improve.

Oh yeah, besides being thin on the story line, Rawles does take a gratuitous swipe at Catholicism. One character admits to being a "Catholic" then immediately points out he doesn't follow the Pope and has a personal relationship with Jesus. No Catholic would ever say that (I believe consuming the real presence, body and blood, of Christ at the Holy Eucharist and praying to Christ every day to be fairly personal). That is what a Protestant would say to apologize for being a Catholic character in a Protestant novel. Childish treatment of religion.

I could go on about the fallacies of his implied criticism of Catholicism, but that is not my point. As a writer, when you portray characters with beliefs you do not agree with you should at least attempt to portray their beliefs correctly and not have them all trying to agree with the author. Talk to people with those beliefs and try to capture their perspective. I just found Rawle's fabricated situation with the Catholic character to be unrealistic and artificial, and unnecessary for the story line, that it was an insult he went out of his way to offend Catholics. Such writing only highlights his own insecurity of faith.

Overall, Survivors is not one of his better works. I think he is better when he sticks to economics and preps. He is great at painting the broad scenario and describing detailed preps or tactics. But his character development and narrative are weak.

NWPilgrim
10-31-11, 13:16
Matthew Bracken has another book that was released several months ago, Castigo Cay. If you like his writing style, you should like the new book. Personally, I liked the story line of the Enemies trilogy better (I have read each book x2) but Castigo Cay was still a good read. The first 8 chapters of Castigo Cay can be read here. (http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/excerpt19.htm)

Thanks I will check out Bracken's latest book. I just finished the third Enemies book and it was good. I think books 1 and 2 were the best but the third was still pretty well developed and edited. I liked that it further developed and followed the Phil Carson character. As a comparison to Rawles' heavy handed use of religion, Bracken does mention some characters praying or referring to God and their belief or unbelief, but it is a more natural flow in the story and does not bludgeon you with the authors viewpoint.

I started reading the paperback version of Lights Out. I read this story online many years ago so it is an interesting re-read. Surprised after all the online reviews, critiques etc that there are still many editing errors: words left out, doubled, etc.

After reading Matthew Bracken I find much of the survivalist stories to have inferior dialogue and narrative. Bracken is more in the league of true writers such as Pournelle and Nivens. They were masters of writing but Bracken is more like them in writing quality then any other survivalist author I have found so far.

HES
11-02-11, 09:52
Oh yeah, besides being thin on the story line, Rawles does take a gratuitous swipe at Catholicism. One character admits to being a "Catholic" then immediately points out he doesn't follow the Pope and has a personal relationship with Jesus. No Catholic would ever say that (I believe consuming the real presence, body and blood, of Christ at the Holy Eucharist and praying to Christ every day to be fairly personal). That is what a Protestant would say to apologize for being a Catholic character in a Protestant novel. Childish treatment of religion.

I could go on about the fallacies of his implied criticism of Catholicism, but that is not my point. As a writer, when you portray characters with beliefs you do not agree with you should at least attempt to portray their beliefs correctly and not have them all trying to agree with the author. Talk to people with those beliefs and try to capture their perspective. I just found Rawle's fabricated situation with the Catholic character to be unrealistic and artificial, and unnecessary for the story line, that it was an insult he went out of his way to offend Catholics. Such writing only highlights his own insecurity of faith.

Overall, Survivors is not one of his better works. I think he is better when he sticks to economics and preps. He is great at painting the broad scenario and describing detailed preps or tactics. But his character development and narrative are weak.

Gotta agree. If you read Light Out I think Crawford takes several swipes at Rawles over this very issue.

Dave L.
11-19-11, 11:59
I just read "The Walk" by Lee Goldberg (http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Lee-Goldberg/dp/1453728988/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321725353&sr=8-3). It's about "The Big One" hitting California and takes place in LA... I give it thumbs down. The main character is a total grass-eater and rises to the occasion. Lame.
Language is bad too, so not good for kids.

NWPilgrim
11-19-11, 17:56
Finished Bracken's Castigo Cay and it is another well written story. I think he may be one of the best current fiction action writers. While not exactly a SHTF book it is set in a time of economic collapse with oppressive government regulation, which is what I believe is our most likely future, not the "no rule of law" TEOTWAWKI. Looks like this is the first in a new series and the second is being written. Superb reading.

Starting the Dirt Cheap Survival Retreat and The Creature from Jekyll Island.

Blstr88
11-28-11, 07:34
Just finished Survivors. I agree with everyones gripes about it...the funny thing about books, the book can be real great, but if the ending sucks thats all you seem to remember. The ending of Survivors was ridiculous, it just sort of ended. Its almost like Rawles is planning to write another to continue the story, except he didnt end it in any way that suggests that is the plan? What ever happened to the main characters, did La Fuerza come to Prescott? Who knows...

And seriously, he needs to lay off on the bible talk. I consider myself pretty religious, more so than the average person probably, but it doesnt add to the story at all, it just makes it tacky and cheesy. I dont like how his books basically suggest if you arent a die-hard religious person, you will not survive a collapse, end of story. Just a little over the top.

I won't say that I wont read any more of his books, but I wont go out of my way to get his next book right away when it comes out. If he writes another I'll probably just wait till I can get it from the library or something, Rawles pretty much lost me as a fan unfortunately.

On another note, I recently finished "Earth Abides" too. It's an older book about the end of teh world due to disease, and a small group of survivors who end up repopulating there little group. It follows one young man who was in the woods when the big death occured, and follows him all the way until his death many years later. It's really incredible, I HIGHLY suggest the book to anyone who enjoys reading. Like I mentioned above, the ending can make or break a story and the ending of Earth Abides will be with me for a long time, very very well written and thought out.

Dave L.
12-01-11, 05:12
Re: Patriots and Survivors.

I just finished both. While JWR is not a great fiction writer, I will still recommend these books as good reading for prepping. The fact that both books are about a US (and world wide) financial collapse, they seem to apply to the current times.

Yes, JWR is a Christian and both books are laced with Bible Verses and prayer. If you are not into that fine, get over it. I think it's silly to tell someone to "lay off their religion" which happens to be their right. As a Christian myself, I was not offended or thought he was "preaching" in the book... but then again I read the Bible...

Again, these books are at least good for invoking thought between families and especially groups. Even if you don't like how he solves certain issues, you may find a few things here and there that you haven't thought of.

On last thing. I highly disagree with his choices of small arms. He is enamored with Springfield M1A's and Colt 1911's. He constantly refers to the Springfield as "Civilian Version of an M14" as if select fire was their only difference. Weapons are clearly not his specialty and most of his knowledge on them seems to come for gun store lore.

5cary
12-01-11, 07:54
On another note, I recently finished "Earth Abides" too. It's an older book about the end of teh world due to disease, and a small group of survivors who end up repopulating there little group. It follows one young man who was in the woods when the big death occured, and follows him all the way until his death many years later. It's really incredible, I HIGHLY suggest the book to anyone who enjoys reading. Like I mentioned above, the ending can make or break a story and the ending of Earth Abides will be with me for a long time, very very well written and thought out.

another +1 on Earth Abides.

I look at that book as the polar opposite of The Road.

HES
12-02-11, 14:31
On last thing. I highly disagree with his choices of small arms. He is enamored with Springfield M1A's and Colt 1911's. He constantly refers to the Springfield as "Civilian Version of an M14" as if select fire was their only difference. Weapons are clearly not his specialty and most of his knowledge on them seems to come for gun store lore.

Yeah that is the impression I walked away with as well. I also have to wonder about his experience with vehicles as well.

Ouroborous
12-04-11, 22:22
I really enjoyed "When all he'll breaks loose" by Cody Lundin. I'm currently reading "Unintended Consequences" based on the recommendations here-great book so far.

Dave L.
12-07-11, 12:03
I just read Land of Ash (http://www.amazon.com/Land-Ash-David-Dalglish/dp/1456376780/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323280683&sr=1-1). It's more of a "You're F$cked" book than a SHTF scenario. The Yellowstone Caldera erupts... The book is a group of short stories by a few different authors. Good book, but somewhat depressing.

docsherm
12-07-11, 21:11
I just read Land of Ash (http://www.amazon.com/Land-Ash-David-Dalglish/dp/1456376780/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323280683&sr=1-1). It's more of a "You're F$cked" book than a SHTF scenario. The Yellowstone Caldera erupts... The book is a group of short stories by a few different authors. Good book, but somewhat depressing.

I read that book a few months ago in the Stan......Talk about a defeatist attitude. I hated that book and if was ANYWHERE else I would have just thrown it away. Pure trash.

Dave L.
01-14-12, 12:25
Enemies: Foreign and Domestic (http://www.amazon.com/Enemies-Foreign-Domestic-Matthew-Bracken/dp/0972831010/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c) was an awesome book and was very thought provoking. It outlines how unconstitutional gun laws could be the lead-in to a SHTF scenario. Bracken is a pretty good writer too for a SquEAL ;)

I recently ordered the 2nd book in the series called Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0972831029/ref=oh_o00_s00_i04_details).

Lone_Ranger
01-14-12, 16:18
Definitely a little more on the sci-fy end of things but I have really enjoyed:

The Postman by David Brin

I was thinking about getting the Postman. I am assuming, like Starship Troopers, the movie didn't do the book justice?

usmcvet
01-14-12, 21:58
It is old but I thought it might be fun to read.

http://www.manybooks.net/titles/boyscoutsofamerica2955829558.html

Shep! When is the new/3rd book due?

asym
01-15-12, 20:04
A great book is Last of the Breed by Louis L'amour. Depending on your definition of SHTF this may or may not qualify. Lots of winter survival and relying on skills learned from his Sioux grandfather.

I'm not a fan of the western genre and this is the only Louis L'amour I have read but this IMHO is a GREAT read.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Breed-Louis-LAmour/dp/0553280422

R.P.
01-16-12, 19:29
Enemies: Foreign and Domestic (http://www.amazon.com/Enemies-Foreign-Domestic-Matthew-Bracken/dp/0972831010/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c) was an awesome book and was very thought provoking. It outlines how unconstitutional gun laws could be the lead-in to a SHTF scenario. Bracken is a pretty good writer too for a SquEAL ;)

I recently ordered the 2nd book in the series called Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0972831029/ref=oh_o00_s00_i04_details).

I am currently reading Enemies Foreign and Domestic for I believe the third time. I guess I like it that much. I have the trilogy and all of them are good but for some reason this one is my favorite.

Travis B
01-16-12, 19:47

This is one of the better SHTF series IMO. The books are pretty long but all are fast reads. I'm actually considering reading the series over again pretty soon.

Dave L.
01-16-12, 23:51
This is one of the better SHTF series IMO. The books are pretty long but all are fast reads. I'm actually considering reading the series over again pretty soon.

I can't wait to start the second book. I agree with you; this book really lays out how stripping people of their 2A rights could really start a shit storm of biblical proportions. It's a more plausible SHTF scenario.

This would be a great book for anyone in law enforcement to read (ught oh, I hope Phila PD doesn't see that ;) ) ...

SMETNA
01-18-12, 15:27
"Homefront" is pretty good. Yes, it's the same story as the video game, but the back story is fleshed out more. Co-written by Raymond Benson, who did a few James Bond books. Also wrote some Splinter Cell books under the pen name "David michaels".

It's not a life changing read like one second after, but it's entertaining.

arbninftry
01-18-12, 21:29
A good book is Fireworks by Jeff Cooper (1980). It is a collection of short stories. Great book to read when you only have a short time available. Read a short story 20 pages and put it down. Stories about men when SHTF around them and how they reacted.

From Amazon:
The first volume in Colonel Cooper's series of autobiographical reminiscences, philosophical essays, political observations, firearms instruction, and spiritual appreciation for the grand gift of life. FireWorks, originally published in 1980, contains prescient insights into the twenty-first century's scourge of terrorism. A celebration of uniquely American values, FireWorks may be considered a hymn to honor, courage, individual liberty, and the U.S. Constitution.
Show More
Show Less

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMETNA
02-22-12, 17:42
Well I read Day by Day Armageddon and loved it. I'm reading the second book "beyond exile" right now. It's a slight improvement over the first book.

I'm also a big walking dead fan, so in my mind, I like to think the two stories are set during the same zombie shtf.

Good stuff

usmcvet
02-27-12, 22:24
The whole zombie thing typically make me roll my eyes. But those were to great books. Any word on the third?

RIDE
02-27-12, 23:03
I read "One Second After" and it was really good.

SMETNA
02-27-12, 23:23
The whole zombie thing typically make me roll my eyes. But those were to great books. Any word on the third?

I know. Zombies are a guilty pleasure.

The next book, according to iTunes, is slated for Aug 28

"Shattered Hourglass"

Dirk Williams
02-28-12, 00:22
You can pre-order from Amazon.com if you want, I did.

Have to agree with the zombie craz, it gets old, Read about 10 books with zombies in them to date.

Reminds me of Bubba in Forest Gump and how many ways to cook shrimp, exchanged whit how many ways can you kill a zombie.

rruffatto
03-03-12, 16:59

William R Forstchen is the author. If your into History at all, especially American history, he also wrote To Try Men's Souls. VERY good book as well.

I without a doubt I must second this recommendation....Well thought out book that I have either bought and handed out to friends and/or just recommended as good reading. Not one, out of the many that I have known to read it, has come away disappointed.

Dirk Williams
03-04-12, 10:02
Got a Kindle for Christmas and have down loaded and read many many books since. All from Amazon, all outstanding to ok.

Right now I re reading

"The Post American World" by Fareed Zakaria.
Not really a SHTF book but a very good portrayl of what is really going on in our world right now and since 2007. More of a why things are happening.

In a nut shell it seems to be on point and explains basically that the USA isn't crumbling, it's that the rest of the world is growing up and standing up to the USA and doing business in a manner that suits their needs from their points of view IE Religious beliefs, Business beliefs and no longer simply doing business via the truditional western model.

A very good read which is why Im re reading it to clear some stuff up in my head.

The Mission Richard Benton Post Attomic annilation.
The Coming Epiphany William Fredrick.
After the Storm Don Chase.
The Overton Window Glen Beck
BONES Wheaton
After The Arab Spring J Bradley
Redaction L Andrews
All Hell Breaks loose C Lundin
Agenda 21 R Taylor
Shariah The threat to the US
High Treason
Invasion Alaska
H10N1
Into the badlands
Desperate Times
The coming Collapse Of china.

The list is much much longer.

All available on Amazon and most are good reading if your looking for sources and simle entertainment.

Enjoy.
Dirk

SMETNA
03-04-12, 19:21
Removed

usmcvet
03-05-12, 16:17
Is his name Alphabet?

Just pre ordered Shattered Hourglass. Thanks for the heads up.

5cary
03-05-12, 17:29
Got a Kindle for Christmas and have down loaded and read many many books since. All from Amazon, all outstanding to ok.

One series I've become hooked on with the Kindle is "Wool" (Hugh Howey). It's a different kind of SHTF book. Basically post-apocalyptic life in a "silo". The story line is intriguing.

There are 5 volumes, with all 5 costing $4.99 and the first one at $.99 (kindle version). Pretty short reads as well. You can read Wool I in an afternoon. It's one of those stories where you are dying to know what's really going on and the author just feeds you enough to make you crave more.

http://www.amazon.com/Wool-ebook/dp/B005FC52L0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1330990190&sr=1-1

docsherm
03-06-12, 10:26
I just finished the Holding Their Own. it was a good read, kind of corny in places but a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061556965X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d1_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0G2H07X49QY3YNYN6QTH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I am now reading Terawatt. Not bad so far. I like it because the guy in it has no idea what he is doing. It brings a new perspective to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Terawatt-ebook/dp/B006FQ1IH2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331051135&sr=1-1

Dirk Williams
03-06-12, 11:08
Im still re reading The Post American World. by Zakaria.

This guy is a curious mix of things, he's Muslim, he's a reporter, a writer, a researcher.

I think what Im getting is simply that I don't want to be stuck on one intel source. I don't have to agree with him to read his book. I don't even have to like his book.

All I need to do is learn from his point of view. Pro or Con

Frankly as in life the truth is somewhere in the middle. I find this book to be reasonable it actually makes some sense.

I have not checked out his sources yet.

If your someone who enjoys reading and want to see the picture from ALL sides of the equasion, This book seems to be a good start.

Have a great day.
Dirk

Veritasftw
03-07-12, 00:19
I just finished the Holding Their Own. it was a good read, kind of corny in places but a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061556965X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d1_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0G2H07X49QY3YNYN6QTH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I am now reading Terawatt. Not bad so far. I like it because the guy in it has no idea what he is doing. It brings a new perspective to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Terawatt-ebook/dp/B006FQ1IH2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331051135&sr=1-1

I am currently reading: Holding Their Own, by: Joe Nobody. I like it, and its been a good read so far.

SMETNA
03-07-12, 03:02
Im still re reading The Post American World. by Zakaria.

This guy is a curious mix of things, he's Muslim, he's a reporter, a writer, a researcher.

I think what Im getting is simply that I don't want to be stuck on one intel source. I don't have to agree with him to read his book. I don't even have to like his book.

All I need to do is learn from his point of view. Pro or Con

Frankly as in life the truth is somewhere in the middle. I find this book to be reasonable it actually makes some sense.

I have not checked out his sources yet.

If your someone who enjoys reading and want to see the picture from ALL sides of the equasion, This book seems to be a good start.

Have a great day.
Dirk

My removed comment wasn't meant as a personal insult to you, and I hope it wasnt taken as such. Just be careful that you don't end up reading and believing a modern day mien kamf just to satisfy the need to keep an open mind and absorb differing points of view.

K.L. Davis
03-07-12, 09:18
My removed comment wasn't meant as a personal insult to you, and I hope it wasnt taken as such. Just be careful that you don't end up reading and believing a modern day mien kamf just to satisfy the need to keep an open mind and absorb differing points of view.
Your post was removed only because it was nothing but about 137 gajillion random characters - 10 million monkeys typing aside, it was just a bunch of random stuff that blew the page up to about 6 times the width of the average monitor.

Dirk Williams
03-07-12, 10:12
SMETNA, no harn no foul, Oppinions are ours alone. I do appriciate the heads up. Not planning on going all Arab this week, still think there is an oppertunity to learn here.

Best to you.

Dirk

SMETNA
03-07-12, 20:02
Your post was removed only because it was nothing but about 137 gajillion random characters - 10 million monkeys typing aside, it was just a bunch of random stuff that blew the page up to about 6 times the width of the average monitor.

Seriously? WOW Tapatalk has some issues apparently. I had no idea, sorry bout that.

TWimsett
03-08-12, 11:12
Some are great Reads but we have neglected to post some of the original SHTF book: The Prince by Machiavelli. I reread this book every year usually in the winter just to get in the Christmas Spirit. And how to defend or go on the offensive if SHTF, The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

Fidalgoman
03-08-12, 13:04
I think I've read almost all these books and more. Fun reads most but IMHO about as applicable as watching Star Wars. Look around at what is happening in the world today. From Mexico to the Middle East. From Argentina to Greece. Radical Islam to government tyranny. From the LA riots to the Hurricanes and Tornadoes in the mid-west. Jihad. Solar flares. Tsunamis, Earthquakes. Floods. Volcanoes. Civil unrest/war and/or economic collapse. Fiction and fantasy is one thing but looking at what is going on around the world today is often entirely something else entirely. Look at what they did on the american frontier.

It is more important to prepare for what actually may happen. What may happen is on a small or large scale similar to what we see in the world today. Where did people fail and what did they do to recover. Lots of stuff to be learned outside of the fiction realm. I certainly agree you can teach a lesson through a story. Just don't buy into all the fictional part.

TWimsett
03-08-12, 13:22
Good Point. The Next 100 Years by George Friedman is a great book. Once again one mans opinion forecasting Geo Political moves by the worlds major players. Read it twice and come away with a whole different perspective and information each time.

Irish
03-13-12, 20:41
I can't wait to start the second book. I agree with you; this book really lays out how stripping people of their 2A rights could really start a shit storm of biblical proportions. It's a more plausible SHTF scenario.

This would be a great book for anyone in law enforcement to read (ught oh, I hope Phila PD doesn't see that ;) ) ...

I got through about 75 pages today on the plane before nodding out. Great story so far. Even better due to the electronic version being free from Amazon. :)

tc556guy
03-19-12, 13:57

No, because its poorly written and reads like someones wet dream about "resetting the nation". I caan only attribute peoples love for that book to that sort of mentality.

cjnuckols50
03-21-12, 08:17
My fav has always been The Road. No fluff and it doesn't glorify the whole ordeal.

usmcvet
03-22-12, 20:05
I just finished One Second After. Good book.

Icculus
03-27-12, 11:09
I liked Going Home. Well its not a physical book yet but hopefully will be soon and the first of a three book series. A gentleman on another board started posting his rough draft a chapter at a time and during the coarse of the thread was convinced to try an get it printed up. You have to wade through a bunch of comments but it's pretty easy to spot the posts that are actual chapters and just scroll past the rest.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=202922

QuietShootr
03-27-12, 11:41
No, because its poorly written and reads like someones wet dream about "resetting the nation". I caan only attribute peoples love for that book to that sort of mentality.

Go back to Arfcom. You're not going to get the same "protected class" status over here, and the position of Resident Statist JBT has already been filled.

Jellybean
04-13-12, 22:07
I just finished Holding Their Own. it was a good read, kind of corny in places but a good read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061...pf_rd_i=507846

What is everyones opinion on the other stuff from Joe Nobody?
I heard someone mention his "Holding Your Ground" book elsewhere here.

Also, not sure if this really falls under the SHTF theme, but has anyone ever heard of or read a book called The Brigade by H.A. Covington? Or any other books in that series?
(http://www.amazon.com/The-Brigade-H-A-Covington/dp/1436328020/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334372636&sr=1-2)

Just curious- a friend recommended them/it after I lent him my E,F&D series. Would like to get other POVs on them before dishing out the dollars.

SMETNA
04-13-12, 23:09
My fav has always been The Road. No fluff and it doesn't glorify the whole ordeal.

That's actually a good point.

Many books is this genre glorify a systemic failure, like it would be fun, like camping or something. The characters finally get to use their supplies, and brag and boast about "eating better now than before the crisis"

I feel like Rawles books are like that. His blog is phenomenal; he should stick to that.

alienb1212
04-14-12, 07:09
That's actually a good point.

Many books is this genre glorify a systemic failure, like it would be fun, like camping or something. The characters finally get to use their supplies, and brag and boast about "eating better now than before the crisis"

I feel like Rawles books are like that. His blog is phenomenal; he should stick to that.

I agree. I bought both of his books and the scenarios he envisions are a bit over the top in my opinion. While I think prepping is a very important thing, he seemed to think that every character in his book was prepared to spend 100k+ on preparing their stores. Other than the combat situations, everything they did seemed to go according to plan.

I found the situations in Lights Out to be far, far more believable and realistic, and also an overall much better read.

Dave L.
04-14-12, 09:31
I got through about 75 pages today on the plane before nodding out. Great story so far. Even better due to the electronic version being free from Amazon. :)

I recently finished the 2nd Enemies book "Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista (http://www.amazon.com/Domestic-Enemies-Reconquista-Matthew-Bracken/dp/0972831029/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1334413760&sr=8-4)".

Again, another great book. The first was better, but I like the continuation of the character. I have the 3rd book on order.

Dave L.
05-03-12, 13:22
The 3rd "Enemies" book was awesome. The whole series is great but the 1st and 3rd are the best. I highly recommend "Foreign Enemies and Traitors (http://www.amazon.com/Foreign-Enemies-Traitors-Matthew-Bracken/dp/0972831037/ref=pd_sim_b_2)" by Mathew Bracken.

I also recently finished "The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse (http://www.amazon.com/The-Modern-Survival-Manual-Surviving/dp/9870563457/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336068810&sr=8-1-spell)" by Fernando Aguirre. This is one of the most down to earth books I have read on the subject. This would make a great primer for those you know who are interested in prepping while not going tinfoil hat. I did think he went a little to far on the Guns/Knives/Hand-to-Hand stuff, but the rest was a good read for the most part.

Icculus
05-03-12, 14:00
The 3rd "Enemies" book was awesome. The whole series is great but the 1st and 3rd are the best. I highly recommend "Foreign Enemies and Traitors (http://www.amazon.com/Foreign-Enemies-Traitors-Matthew-Bracken/dp/0972831037/ref=pd_sim_b_2)" by Mathew Bracken.

I ordered the whole set and I'm still working my way through book 1. Very good so far.

Also for those who are may have gotten into the Going Home link that I posted above six or seven links up. It looks like he's started the second book if you'd like to follow along. Only a couple of chapters are up so far.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=231876

docsherm
05-04-12, 07:22

I just got part 2 of Holding Their Own. I hope it is as good as the first one. I will let you know.

http://www.amazon.com/Holding-Their-Own-II-Independents/dp/061563642X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336134111&sr=8-1

tc556guy
05-05-12, 14:39
Go back to Arfcom. You're not going to get the same "protected class" status over here, and the position of Resident Statist JBT has already been filled.

I don't expect to have "protected class" status.

I stand by my earlier comment that those who pine for the "resetting" of the nation don't know what they are hoping for, and if they are, they're downright dangerous to any future we would have as a unified nation.

SMETNA
05-05-12, 15:41
First, We aren't a unified nation.

Second, if something cannot go on forever, it wont. So regardless of who wants the reset button depressed and who doesn't, a reset we will have. Our culture, our society, our systems, are all unsustainable.

Now, back to SHTF books. . .

Dave L.
05-06-12, 01:30

You obviously didn't read it. When people get "upset" about fiction it makes me suspect of that sort of mentality.

If you would have read it, you would know that in the end, nobody wins. Neither was the country "reset" nor did anyone live happily ever after.

tc556guy
05-07-12, 02:55
First, We aren't a unified nation.

Second, if something cannot go on forever, it wont. So regardless of who wants the reset button depressed and who doesn't, a reset we will have. Our culture, our society, our systems, are all unsustainable.

Now, back to SHTF books. . .

We are a unified nation in thatw e are 50 states. Not that everyone agrees, but MOST people don't actively pine for seeing the nation come crashing down. No, nothing lasts forever, but I don't agree that the nation is done for or that we should consider a "reset" that would result in the end of the nation.

You obviously didn't read it. When people get "upset" about fiction it makes me suspect of that sort of mentality.

If you would have read it, you would know that in the end, nobody wins. Neither was the country "reset" nor did anyone live happily ever after.

The book is a poorly written rant about Big bad Evil Government. I collect post-apoc lit, but that book I gave up on. No, I didn't finish it. I'd put it at about the level of The Turner Diaries as far as quality of writing.
I know that it gets touted a lot on gun boards by peoploe who agree with its politics. If they like it, so be it. I just don't think its good literature.

SMETNA
05-07-12, 05:09
With some people, it's not so much that they WANT a reset. It's that they understand that things aren't going to get better until they get much worse, and they understand that pain is often the best catalyst for action.

Just because someone can see the iceberg ahead doesn't mean that they can't wait to hit it. Like it would be fun or something. I think you have the wrong idea about why people like that book. But it's cool if you don't like it. It's not for everybody.

Dirk Williams
05-16-12, 21:55
Here are some interesting reads.
7 steps to survival in a dangerous world. R. Taylor
After the Storm. D. Chase
Apocalypse Law. J.Grit
Apocalypse Lw 2. J Grit
Breakers. E Robertson
The Bunker. EJ Camacho
The Collapse.J Stanfield.
Day by Day Armageddon. JL BorneHow do you kill 11 million p
How the World ends. J Varty
Hunter, after the fall
Mountain man.
A new world order
Prarie Fire
The Rally point.
Reflax fire
The Remaining
Renewal 8
Rewnewal 9
Searching for American
Secret weaon How economic terror
Sniper elite.
Terawatt
Winter kill War with china.
Yesterdays gone.

Ive purchased and read 42 books on my kindle since xmas. I have 70 more togo before I will allow myself to urchase another.

reading TEOTWAKI Beacons story right now with The coming Collapse of China on deck. Hopefully Ill finish these two u wile fishing tomorrow.

DW

cowpuncher
05-20-12, 02:38
We are a unified nation in thatw e are 50 states. Not that everyone agrees, but MOST people don't actively pine for seeing the nation come crashing down. No, nothing lasts forever, but I don't agree that the nation is done for or that we should consider a "reset" that would result in the end of the nation.

The book is a poorly written rant about Big bad Evil Government. I collect post-apoc lit, but that book I gave up on. No, I didn't finish it. I'd put it at about the level of The Turner Diaries as far as quality of writing.
I know that it gets touted a lot on gun boards by peoploe who agree with its politics. If they like it, so be it. I just don't think its good literature.

You need a serious education in constitutional history and republicanism. We are, constitutionally speaking, 50 independent political states (just like Germany or France are political states), who function together through a federal government that is SUPPOSED to respect the very severe restrictions on its powers and authorities. The fact is, we DO see the impact of "Big Bad Evil Government" in the form of federal encroachments on our individual liberties daily, as well as on the sovereignty of the 50 separate states.
I agree with you that the Turner Diaries were ridiculous. The writing was abysmal, the plot retarded, and the philosophies of the author were flat stupid. Comparing Bracken's work to it is assinine and demonstrates your lack of authority in critiquing the novels, since you have not, as you admitted, actually ****ing read them.
I don't "pine" for a socio-economic-political collapse, by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, I've got a baby daughter that I'd just as soon see grow up as not. Nevertheless, I recognize the bright ****ing neon signs flashing in front of my face for what they are. If it's going to happen (and I think it's unavoidable at this point), I'd rather it happened now, while I'm still young enough and fit enough, to protect my daughter and wife, to the best of my ability, than in forty years, when I'm dead, and my daughter is trying to raise her own family. If that makes me a bad guy, or unpatriotic, well, **** you very much.

usmcvet
05-20-12, 10:58
You need a serious education in constitutional history and republicanism. We are, constitutionally speaking, 50 independent political states (just like Germany or France are political states), who function together through a federal government that is SUPPOSED to respect the very severe restrictions on its powers and authorities. The fact is, we DO see the impact of "Big Bad Evil Government" in the form of federal encroachments on our individual liberties daily, as well as on the sovereignty of the 50 separate states.
I agree with you that the Turner Diaries were ridiculous. The writing was abysmal, the plot retarded, and the philosophies of the author were flat stupid. Comparing Bracken's work to it is assinine and demonstrates your lack of authority in critiquing the novels, since you have not, as you admitted, actually ****ing read them.
I don't "pine" for a socio-economic-political collapse, by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, I've got a baby daughter that I'd just as soon see grow up as not. Nevertheless, I recognize the bright ****ing neon signs flashing in front of my face for what they are. If it's going to happen (and I think it's unavoidable at this point), I'd rather it happened now, while I'm still young enough and fit enough, to protect my daughter and wife, to the best of my ability, than in forty years, when I'm dead, and my daughter is trying to raise her own family. If that makes me a bad guy, or unpatriotic, well, **** you very much.

Not the kind of discussion I'm looking for here on m4c.

alienb1212
05-20-12, 11:05
I don't see why cowpuncher's post is unfit for discussion. I happen to agree with him.

usmcvet
05-20-12, 11:56
The "**** your very much" wasn't necessary and adds nothing to a great helpful thread. Disagreement and discussion is fine. Insulting and trolling is not. Read the Forum Rules.

tc556guy
05-21-12, 07:28

I'm going to limit myself to this part of your post, since it most relates to the thread topic.

I didn't say that I didn't read them. I said that I didn't finish them. Generally that only happens when a book is so bad that I can't stick it out to the end of the book.

There are 3 or 4 post apoc books that get a lot of praise on forums, and other than wanting to support the first or second attempts at writing by someone who might post on some of the forums, I've never figured out why they are so popular. Because as a group they tend to be less well-written than many other books of the genre that I have raed and collected. In the case of the Bracken books, its because of the politics of the story rather than the quality of the work.

Obviously you are free to disagree on the topic. We all like different books for different reasons.

SMETNA
05-21-12, 19:26
I think you received some backlash because you seemed to go after the "type of people" that like Bracken.

Just voice your opinion of a book itself next time.

Frankie 2 Times
05-21-12, 21:46
Others have mentioned these as well, but I'd recommend "One Second After" and "Lucifer's Hammer". LH starts out slow but if you can get past the first 75-100 pages, it's a good read.

Rekkr870
05-21-12, 21:51
One Second After imo is a must read. If you say that you didn't get watery eyed, your lying. I'm reading Enemies Foreign and Domestic right now. I'm looking forward to finishing the trilogy.

SMETNA
05-21-12, 22:30
One Second After imo is a must read. If you say that you didn't get watery eyed, your lying.

Agreed. Except I didn't get watery eyed, no lie. I have to be on a mood stabilizer. I can't remember the last time I cried

QuietShootr
05-22-12, 09:40
I think you received some backlash because you seemed to go after the "type of people" that like Bracken.

Just voice your opinion of a book itself next time.

He got some backlash because he's a world-famous statist from Arfcom who's trying to spread the jackbooted love over here. The best thing to do with him is put him on ignore ASAP.

usmcvet
05-22-12, 18:40
One second after was a good read. So was lights out. I will re read both.

TimL2165
05-28-12, 00:23
One second after was a good read. So was lights out. I will re read both.

Lights Out was excellent. Also try Holding Our Own... not great but ok.

HES
07-24-12, 01:13
Lights Out was excellent. Also try Holding Our Own... not great but ok.
It was entertaining. To be honest I found it be a lot more relaxed than the "Patriots" series.

alienb1212
07-24-12, 07:28
He got some backlash because he's a world-famous statist from Arfcom who's trying to spread the jackbooted love over here. The best thing to do with him is put him on ignore ASAP.

wait you can put people on ignore here? shit...gotta find this feature.

zimm17
07-31-12, 20:08
I read "The road" the other day. In two days actually, I couldn't put it down. While I'm not sold on the style of writing, the story itself threw me for a loop. Being 10+ years post catastrophic event, I think just about no amount of prepping would help there. The scenarios blew me away. The only real food is humans. The scene where the father found a coke and gave it to his son, who tried to share it back with his dad: dad says no, it's all yours. When the boy asks "is that because this is the only one I'll ever have?" I seriously teared up.

Currently 2/3 into "the stand". The disaster part was great, but now it went all religious with all survivors having dreams about which camp (good or evil) they should march to is getting weird and I'm losing interest

cinco
07-31-12, 21:01
I read "The road" the other day. In two days actually, I couldn't put it down. While I'm not sold on the style of writing, the story itself threw me for a loop. Being 10+ years post catastrophic event, I think just about no amount of prepping would help there. The scenarios blew me away. The only real food is humans. The scene where the father found a coke and gave it to his son, who tried to share it back with his dad: dad says no, it's all yours. When the boy asks "is that because this is the only one I'll ever have?" I seriously teared up.

That book put me in a funk for days - either I'm normal or I'm soft. Either way I need to toughen up - that book is stuff we all might have to deal with:(

cinco
07-31-12, 21:13
Talk about SHTF. Early 1900's expedition to Antarctica, your ship crushed by ice and no one to rescue your crew...

The most inspiring true story of the human spirit and endurance I've ever read. An old girlfriend was reading this and passed it along - one of the good things she gave me:p

An incredible experience of the capabilities of human endurance. It instilled hope in my heart for what I may be capable of...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance:_Shackleton's_Incredible_Voyage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Shackleton

B52U
07-31-12, 21:24
Another good human spirit conquer's the odds non fiction book (WWII) is "Unbroken".

B52U
07-31-12, 21:41
Not a book, but a translation from russian of an interview with a survivor of the Bosnia conflict. Well worth a look:

http://sovietoutpost.revdisk.org/?p=72

cinco
08-01-12, 09:05
Another good human spirit conquer's the odds non fiction book (WWII) is "Unbroken".

Not a book, but a translation from russian of an interview with a survivor of the Bosnia conflict. Well worth a look:

http://sovietoutpost.revdisk.org/?p=72

I love these sort of stories. I'll definitely be picking up "Unbroken".

Thanks for the link. I believe this is "Selco" who now has his own website, which is a great source of survival during conflict.

http://shtfschool.com/

B52U
08-01-12, 09:57
I love these sort of stories. I'll definitely be picking up "Unbroken".

Thanks for the link. I believe this is "Selco" who now has his own website, which is a great source of survival during conflict.

http://shtfschool.com/

Thanks, I had no idea he has an online course now. Good stuff.

docsherm
08-01-12, 13:06
Founders: A Novel of the Coming Collapse

I see that Rawles has a new book coming out in September 25th. It looks like the same plot line as the last two with new people.....Hope it is better then the last two. I will read it...but I can hope it will be better.

Here is the link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Founders-A-Novel-Coming-Collapse/dp/143917282X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2S4LTDU8DJH92&coliid=I2VFB9DHB8VXKD

SMETNA
08-01-12, 16:45
I didn't really enjoy his second book. But Founders sounds like it might be better. It follows two characters who get ambushed early on while trying to bug out. They have to abandon their vehicles and leave 98% of their stuff. So they're hiking hundreds of miles on foot with what's in their packs. There is also supposedly a separate story line about which military units refuse to capitulate to the UN and fight back against the provisional government at Fort Knox.

Should be good.

Dirk Williams
08-01-12, 19:59
New to me but understand this is THE book regarding emp. This book uses most of the info compiled by the emp commission tasked by the senate before being shut down in 2008 for some unknown reason.

None of this was classified yet it's the data provided and used by the leading experts in the US.

DW

SMETNA
08-02-12, 07:40
The above is referring to "One Second After" ??

HES
08-06-12, 00:19
IIRC it wasn't shut down. The full report was delivered. The issue was that it was released on the same day as the publication of the 9/11 report. The latter naturally eclipsed the former.

evotistic
09-02-12, 11:40
Just finished "One Second After". Good read, very eye opening. Puts in to perspective the fragility of our lives, and what we are dependent upon to survive.

Travis B
09-02-12, 21:26
Just finished "One Second After". Good read, very eye opening. Puts in to perspective the fragility of our lives, and what we are dependent upon to survive.

I read it again recently, finishing up a month or so ago. If that isn't an eye opener to change lifestyles to prevent diabetes, I don't know what is.

NWPilgrim
09-02-12, 23:26
I have to read One Second After once more. It was well written but seemed kind of shallow on the survival aspects. Everyone seems to think it is the best story. Maybe I read it too fast or don't remember it well enough to appreciate it.

For instance, I don't recall any significant issues about security or attacks. Now realistically I don't think we would se the worst case of some writers with hordes of mutant zombie bikers and cannibals. But, given a total collapse of utilities and vehicles I would expect lots of looting and some violent squabbles until the most violent characters are weeded out.

Reminds me of a friend that did charity work in Africa installing a clean water well in a remote village one year. When his team went back the next year the village was wiped out. A neighboring village was jealous of the only water source for miles and just attacked and killed everyone there. In a post EMP world, anyone that rebuilds infrastructure like water lines will eventually have to defend it.

Did I miss this aspect?

evotistic
09-03-12, 07:30
NWpilgrim-

Do you remember the "posse"? This was that group of bandits that were attacking, just like you described. There was a good amount of attention paid to security, although the description of the battles was more "grand-scheme" than play-by-play.