PDA

View Full Version : D'oh (Dropped my bolt on sidewalk)

bb223
10-07-10, 08:03
As the title says, I dropped my bolt on the sidewalk from a height of about 4 feet.

I see no visible damage, is there anything else I should look for to assure it was not damaged?

Thank you.

kwelz
10-07-10, 08:49
I would check for any burrs where it hit the concrete. Other than that I doubt it took more force from that hit then it does from firing.

Doc Safari
10-07-10, 09:16
Don't feel bad. Years ago I flung a Bushmaster Bolt, bolt carrier, and everything halfway across the room because it was tight enough to be hard to get out of a brand new gun and it let go at just the wrong moment during field stripping.

Luckily it didn't land on the bold carrier key!

Quib
10-07-10, 09:16
As mentioned, burrs, chips, deep scratches in critical areas (lugs, cam pin hole)....any deformations that could cause stress fractures later on.

Gas rings look ok? Bent, scratched?

bb223
10-07-10, 09:46
Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I compared the dropped bolt (Colt) to a completely new and unused BCM bolt and everything looks exactly the same.

I went OCD and examined it under a bright lamp with a magnifying glass as well.

Everything looks fine.

Also, thanks for mentioning the cam pin hole and the gas rings, I would've never thought to check those out if you wouldn't have mentioned them. They are fine as well.

lanceriley
10-07-10, 10:49
I doubt you'd damaged it. coz if it did get damaged.. you better replace that bolt! it's not strong enough for firing !

Quib
10-07-10, 12:23
Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I compared the dropped bolt (Colt) to a completely new and unused BCM bolt and everything looks exactly the same.

I went OCD and examined it under a bright lamp with a magnifying glass as well.

Everything looks fine.

Also, thanks for mentioning the cam pin hole and the gas rings, I would've never thought to check those out if you wouldn't have mentioned them. They are fine as well.

Glad you didn’t find any damage.

If you do not already have them, you can download the -10 Operators Manual as well as the -23&P Maintenance Manual at the link below. Scroll down to the end of Mark's Cleaning tutorial.

http://http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490 (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=35490)

The -10 Operators Manual as well as the -23&P Maintenance Manual can give you some inspection criteria for the bolt. Use this inspection criteria as guidance, keeping in mind the areas outlined that are prone to cracks such as the bolt lugs and cam pin hole. Gas rings are fragile and could possibly be bent or scored. A chipped or scored extractor claw could at a later date result in a failed extractor.

I personally would be concerned that a chip or burr in one of these areas could set up the possibility of a crack at a later date.

bkb0000
10-07-10, 12:51
"well, i went for a walk, see, and, well, you know- you never go walking down the sidewalk without taking an AR bolt to toss up in the air and catch as you go...."

Spiffums
10-07-10, 14:20
I totally expected a comment about don't use so much oil butter fingers........:sarcastic: