PDA

View Full Version : Spikes tactical ST-15 vs S&W M&P 15

LCSD S.W.A.T.
10-07-10, 18:56
Hey guys, which of the two is a better rifle fore the money? I can get the ST-15 for $800.00 before shipping, and the M&P 15 for $950.00 before shipping. It will be my 1st AR, so it will give me something to shoot until i can afford my AR build. Thanks for the help.

devildogljb
10-07-10, 19:28
i cant speak on the spikes but my smith i love. Ive put a few thousand rounds through it and ive not had one problem with it, i kept the orginal bcg and bolt, its accurate as hell.

MistoGators
10-07-10, 19:37
The Spike's is a better value, but the S&W certainly isn't a pos. I bought an M&P last year (the "A" model) and put about 2k rounds of Silver Bear and Wolf through it without any problems.
I (unfortunately) got rid of it back in the spring because I got the AK bug. :(

Edit: You just missed out on S&W's $100 mail-in rebate, but I'm sure they'll do another one (or a Pmag promotion) soon.

MistoGators
10-07-10, 19:42
Also, the S&W rifles have 1/9 barrels. Keep that in mind if you want to shoot some of the higher power 75-77gr stuff.

outrider627
10-07-10, 19:49
I have a spikes mid length. Only 200 rounds through it so far, but no problems. My suggestion to you is to read a lot before you buy an AR15. Compare specs, price, warranty/customer service. For example, Spikes has a 1:7 barrel while Smith has 1:9 in all their models except the VTAC. It'll make a difference if you want to shoot heavy 5.56 loads.

IMO the spikes is the better value. I know the have great customer service. I called and asked for a complete mid length before they were an option to buy and they said no problem. You can use the $150 for ammo or if you're like me, swapping out handguards, sights, grips, you get the idea. :D

Iraqgunz
10-07-10, 20:12
I am going to say several things so bear with me.

1. In my personal opinion (not as a moderator of M4C) I feel that Spike's has been less than truthful about the whole HP/ MPI certification debacle.

2. I believe that S&W now has some carbines in 1/7.

3. Why do you feel the need for instant gratification by getting one now? Just curious.

4. Is the price a real issue for you? If so, then you shouldn't buy an AR to begin with because there will be more expenses down the road like magazines, sling and ammo.

5. If price is an issue, wait another 2 months or so and then make your buy. You can get a Colt 6920 on Gunbroker for around 1100.00, possibly less. You can also get a Daniel Defense M4 for anywhere from 950.00-1100.00 as well. You can also get a good BCM carbine for around the same.

So after thinking about all of the above and answering the questions truthfully what do you think the best choice should be?

Hey guys, which of the two is a better rifle fore the money? I can get the ST-15 for $800.00 before shipping, and the M&P 15 for $950.00 before shipping. It will be my 1st AR, so it will give me something to shoot until i can afford my AR build. Thanks for the help.

rubberneck
10-07-10, 20:39
I would also mention that you might be well served to keep an eye on the marketplace forum here. Often you will find some really nice deals on really nice guns. Personally I'd buy the Smith but that isn't meant as a put down to Spikes. I own one of their 22 Cal conversions and love it but you don't stay in business 158 years by making crap and not supporting it. When you buy the S&W rifle you are also buying the name behind it. Same goes for Colt.

MEGA-M4
10-07-10, 20:56
I am going to say several things so bear with me.

1. In my personal opinion (not as a moderator of M4C) I feel that Spike's has been less than truthful about the whole HP/ MPI certification debacle.

2. I believe that S&W now has some carbines in 1/7.

3. Why do you feel the need for instant gratification by getting one now? Just curious.

4. Is the price a real issue for you? If so, then you shouldn't buy an AR to begin with because there will be more expenses down the road like magazines, sling and ammo.

5. If price is an issue, wait another 2 months or so and then make your buy. You can get a Colt 6920 on Gunbroker for around 1100.00, possibly less. You can also get a Daniel Defense M4 for anywhere from 950.00-1100.00 as well. You can also get a good BCM carbine for around the same.

So after thinking about all of the above and answering the questions truthfully what do you think the best choice should be?

What do you mean about #1? If a part fails the MPI/HP test they sell it anyways? (I guess I am out of the loop on that one.)

Iraqgunz
10-07-10, 20:58
I am not going to go into detail, but no no that isn't what I was implying.

What do you mean about #1? If a part fails the MPI/HP test they sell it anyways? (I guess I am out of the loop on that one.)

jbsmwd
10-07-10, 21:24
Given the two choices that you have given us I would go with the M&P-15. In fact I did for my 2nd AR but it was a panic buy when current president was elected. Would have gone with a Colt but that was all they had that I was willing to buy. I have not had any problems at all. I did just change out the BCG for a FZ BCG. Yes I do wish it had 1in9 twist but it has never failed me so far.

Iraqgunz
10-07-10, 21:31
Your S&W doesn't have a 1/9 barrel?

Given the two choices that you have given us I would go with the M&P-15. In fact I did for my 2nd AR but it was a panic buy when current president was elected. Would have gone with a Colt but that was all they had that I was willing to buy. I have not had any problems at all. I did just change out the BCG for a FZ BCG. Yes I do wish it had 1in9 twist but it has never failed me so far.

MistoGators
10-07-10, 21:41
I'm not sure on this, but I've been told that the M&P rifles now have lifetime warranties (as opposed to 1 year when I bought mine last year).

jbsmwd
10-07-10, 21:50
Your S&W doesn't have a 1/9 barrel?

:eek:

Sorry, its a 1/9 would like to change over to 1/8 or 1/7

MEGA-M4
10-07-10, 22:16

BTW $950 for an M&P is the biggest ass raping Ive seen since the election.. looks like you just missed out on this..
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cdnn/Special.jpg

genegoesfast
10-07-10, 22:20
Spikes!

M&P15OR
10-08-10, 01:51
BTW $950 for an M&P is the biggest ass raping Ive seen since the election.. looks like you just missed out on this..
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/cdnn/Special.jpg

He missed out on the rebate but not the sale, a buddy of mine just called CDNN yesterday as he wants to get an AR also and he finally got the ok from the warden (his wife) and CDNN told him the sale was still in effect but the rebate was over. So take what ever model you like and add $100.00 bucks and that plus shipping is what you'll pay. They also said they were out of stock on the MP15OR though right now.

Gunfighter 9
10-08-10, 06:39
I got my M&P 15X through CDNN. In my opinion they are an outstanding company. Great service and fast shipping.

MassMark
10-08-10, 06:58
Of the 2 choices you listed, I would personally buy the M&P. However, Iraqgunz is right. At those price points, you're in striking distance of a better rifle with a slight improvement in your budget... LMT, BCM etc...

djegators
10-08-10, 08:17
I don't have a Spikes or a S&W, but I do know that I can get a BCM basic upper with BCG/CH/HG for around $550 shipped (many options at that price too), and a blem lower with stock for less than $300...see no reason to get anything lesser for the same or more money.

shadow65
10-08-10, 09:13
I don't have a Spikes or a S&W, but I do know that I can get a BCM basic upper with BCG/CH/HG for around $550 shipped (many options at that price too), and a blem lower with stock for less than $300...see no reason to get anything lesser for the same or more money.

I agree with this. I've personally been very happy with everything I've got from BCM. It's more than worth a look see.

M&P15OR
10-08-10, 09:52
I got my M&P 15X through CDNN. In my opinion they are an outstanding company. Great service and fast shipping.

I got mine there also and couldn't agree with you more but I got mine for $699.00 then if i can find my receipt ( my wife likes to move stuff around and then forgets where she puts it) I'll get the $100.00 rebate. Oh well if I can't find it I still got a good deal at $699.00.

shadow65
10-08-10, 09:59
For that price, the S & W would be very tough to beat.

Palmguy
10-08-10, 10:24

This is what I'd do.

LCSD S.W.A.T.
10-08-10, 12:58
Thanks for all the replies guys, lol almost to many to go through. The reason i want to buy a gun now is because my planed build uses a $700 dollar KAC lower, and a $1100 BCM / KAC upper, i cant afford that now, but i don't want to wait to start shooting. That S&W for $799 looks Like a great deal, and i don't mind the 1/9 barrels, because ill just be shooting cheap ammo to start with.

v-j
10-08-10, 12:58
To answer your question, both are good with each having a few different things about them. Both will work fine for you til you can build your own. I would vote for the Spikes if I had one. Good luck on your choice and happy shooting.

SouthPark
10-08-10, 13:05
For what it's worth, some guy is selling his Colt 6920 in the equipment exchange of the ARF for about $1K. Haven't read any posts that you'd go wrong with a Colt. Just FYI.

Iraqgunz
10-08-10, 18:23
My guess is no matter what we say you are going to do what you want to do. Take the emotion of "I don't want to wait to shoot" out of the equation and you'll see that waiting a little will be to your benefit.

You may only want to shoot "cheap ammo" to start with, but if you decide to go heavier it is a crap shoot as to whether or not it will work. You will then have two options. Stick with the lighter loads or rebarrel the weapon. In which case it will cost you more in the end than what it costs to wait and get a 1/7 barrelled set up.

If you look around, you can get a BCM carbine, Colt 6920 or DD carbine for around 1000.00 dollars.

Thanks for all the replies guys, lol almost to many to go through. The reason i want to buy a gun now is because my planed build uses a $700 dollar KAC lower, and a $1100 BCM / KAC upper, i cant afford that now, but i don't want to wait to start shooting. That S&W for $799 looks Like a great deal, and i don't mind the 1/9 barrels, because ill just be shooting cheap ammo to start with.

LCSD S.W.A.T.
10-08-10, 22:56
My guess is no matter what we say you are going to do what you want to do. Take the emotion of "I don't want to wait to shoot" out of the equation and you'll see that waiting a little will be to your benefit.

You may only want to shoot "cheap ammo" to start with, but if you decide to go heavier it is a crap shoot as to whether or not it will work. You will then have two options. Stick with the lighter loads or rebarrel the weapon. In which case it will cost you more in the end than what it costs to wait and get a 1/7 barrelled set up.

If you look around, you can get a BCM carbine, Colt 6920 or DD carbine for around 1000.00 dollars.

Me and my brother planed on buying a cheap WASR 10 to start with, but then I saw we could get a AR for $800, so I figured why not spend the extra money for the AR. My bro is helping me buy this gun, so its not like i can put the money towards my build. We just want something to shoot, nothing to fancy to start off with. I think any AR we buy will suit are needs. Thanks for all your time and help.

Iraqgunz
10-08-10, 23:48
Good luck with your purchase.

Me and my brother planed on buying a cheap WASR 10 to start with, but then I saw we could get a AR for $800, so I figured why not spend the extra money for the AR. My bro is helping me buy this gun, so its not like i can put the money towards my build. We just want something to shoot, nothing to fancy to start off with. I think any AR we buy will suit are needs. Thanks for all your time and help.