PDA

View Full Version : Markings on Lowers

xringshooter
07-18-07, 11:23
I posted this on AR15.com as well. I know that some here don't go there and some there don't go here so I'll pick the brains of everybody.

Are there manufactures that will (or already have) lowers that are marked (words or pictograms) with SAFE/SEMI/AUTO ? I have a friend that is going to build a 9mm SBR and he (for some reason known only to him) wants the receiver so marked even though it will have a semi auto FCG.

Thanks for any info you can supply.

Haji
07-18-07, 12:55
Yup, several of them. Tom Sawyer Mfg used to, but they've sold that end of the biz off to someone else. SNS did for my lower (part of a group buy of a total of fiddy of 'em), and there are others.
http://images24.fotki.com/v798/photos/9/98493/921251/DSCN2072-vi.jpg

1Gunner
07-24-07, 22:36
orion-arms

Don Robison
07-25-07, 00:00
Spikes Tactical also

Gunfixr
07-25-07, 01:40
"SAFE", "FIRE", and "SHTF". I really like that. :cool:

Haji
07-25-07, 08:21
Now if the selector switch would just go to that third position...:D

Robb Jensen
07-25-07, 13:35
Now if the selector switch would just go to that third position...:D

If you 'modificate' (a Vickers term) a semi/safety selector you can make it fire semi-automatically in the 3rd position.

Haji
07-25-07, 15:26
I've met the local BATFE inspector and I don't think much of him. It's highly unlikely I'd ever have a reason to do so, but I'd hate to have to try to explain to him what was going on there. Its easier on the both of us if it only goes "safe" and "semi" (which is how the opposite side is marked; I think 10 of the run ended up that way) only. Ideally, there'd be no 1986 freeze on the supply of class three weapons and I'd have a registered full auto lower (which this isn't) that'd run, what, $400 all in? Oh, well....I get the markings even if I don't get the third position.

Robb Jensen
07-26-07, 05:57
You missed what I said.

I didn't say use a M16 selector. You can make a AR15 selector go to where AUTO would be on a registered lower but would only operate like this: SAFE-FIRE-SHTF and would fire semi automatically in the FIRE and SHTF position. SAFE would still be safe. You could also make it operate SAFE-FIRE-SAFE if you didn't change the notch and only added the selector detent track to the 3 position and your tinfoils really tight.

There's much more to an auto lower than having a selector go to the '3rd' position. You'll still need a M16 hammer, selector, sear, trigger, disconnector and bolt carrier to truly have AUTO.

My speedometer in my old 2001 Mustang GT went above 180mph. But it's pretty common knowledge that the car couldn't do it is stock form.

The Yugo AKs currently available from Century have the 'click' where AUTO is on a full auto one but they only shoot SEMI in that position.

Haji
07-26-07, 08:26
You missed what I said.
No, I understood completely what you said. The thing is, if it ever became an issue for any reason, the person I'd have to deal with isn't who I'd call "best and brightest". It just wouldn't be worth the time, cost and hassle involved if it ever got called into question. Its just way simpler to have him count to two rather than three and explain that three really isn't different than two.

Dport
07-26-07, 09:15
No, I understood completely what you said. The thing is, if it ever became an issue for any reason, the person I'd have to deal with isn't who I'd call "best and brightest". It just wouldn't be worth the time, cost and hassle involved if it ever got called into question. Its just way simpler to have him count to two rather than three and explain that three really isn't different than two.
Can you imagine if it doubled for some reason while it was in the third position?:eek: