PDA

View Full Version : G17 question....

jmoore
10-08-10, 19:32
After shooting it for about 1k rounds - finally decided to detail strip the Glock for the first time (that would be first time for the both of us). Decades of tearing down 1911s - newbie on the tupperware:)

Put in a NY1 spring and a Glock "-" disconnector combo while I was in there. That part was easy.

Then it came time to reassemble!!!! I must have tried for 1/2 hour to get the slide catch pin (lower of the 2 - whatever Glock calls it:) fully inserted. It would go in 2/3 of the way - then no joy. Yep - tried the high tech "Glock tool" as a guide pin to confirm everything was lined up, and then tried to follow it through with the damned pin. Viewed 3 or 4 vids - yep - I had everything in the correct place and sequence. As I was getting tempted to start hammering - I decided to attempt a right-to-left insertion instead of left to right (and my wife says I don't like variety in my life!!!!:)

Went in - easy as could be.

Comments/recommendations for the next time I'm feeling like I want a challenge?

TIA

john - aka Glock newbie

JHC
10-08-10, 19:53
Good story. lol Yeah, right to left is all I know. No other tips from me. I'm very basic at it myself.

Ak44
10-08-10, 19:56
Try jiggling the slide catch up and down while you push. I push pins left to right...Remember top pin comes out first and goes in first. I've had some times where I couldn't get the bottom pin in, I would pop out the top pin and wait a few minutes..get something to drink and try it again. Always works the second time if I have trouble.

P2000
10-08-10, 20:48
+1 for jiggling.

skyugo
10-08-10, 22:40
yeah jiggle.. gotta line the hole in the slide stop up with the pin.
also make sure the slide stop spring is under the skinny pin, or you're gonna have teh troublez :mad: ask me how i know :o

spr1
10-09-10, 07:36
The slide stop spring biases the front of the slide stop where the hole is downwards and rearwards, try angling the slide stop upwards above the frame, hold it between your thumb and first finger and push forward while twisting the slide stop so that the front end moves higher. We are only talking .020" or so as to higher and forwards.
This is way harder to explain in words than to do, so after you get it to work, the next time will be a lot easier.

EzGoingKev
10-09-10, 08:43
I push pins left to right...

I push the pins left to right to disassemble and then right to left to assemble.

Like others said, you need to move the slide stop around. Some times I can push it right out and other times I need to fiddle around with it some.

My best advice would be to be patient and not try to force it out.