PDA

View Full Version : 3 gun + training day

jaxman7
10-09-10, 02:21
Well fellas it looks like we've got our own training group forum finally, very cool. I'll start it off with the question of who will be @ Woolmarket for the 3 gun on the 16th and is there an update on our carbine training day there?

-Jax

jaxman7
10-09-10, 02:32
On another note if anyone is in the hattiesburg area next Friday I am going to be at the local range that day practicing for next days 3 gun. Let me know if you have time and opportunity to go with. Thanks,

-Jax

FishingFool
10-09-10, 09:45
No word yet. Can't make the match bc of work.

Just throwing around ideas here but how about a weekly drill. Then we can post times/scores/results/vids for critique and review.

amac
10-09-10, 22:37
Isn't Woolmarket on the 23rd? That would be the third "full" week weekend....?

l3mon
10-11-10, 08:04
Well I won't be available to shoot the match, but I might come hang out for a bit.

jaxman7
10-11-10, 12:41
Pretty sure it will be this Saturday amac. That is the 3rd Saturday in October but I see your point. Kinda funny because there are actually 5 Saturdays in this month.

Kyle how come you can't shoot this weekend?

Fish the drill idea is great. Only problem is that I have GOT to buy a shot timer.

amac
10-12-10, 07:22
You're right Jax, it is this weekend. I asked on the ar15 forum and they confirmed.
Fish, are you suggesting we submit a "drill of the week" - perform - then post our results? I like the learning angle of that. I only wish I had a web cam to record with.

FishingFool
10-12-10, 11:23
Timer wouldn't be necessary. It would help but not really needed. Just take a snap shot of the target and post some comments. Make it a regular occurance just to formalize some routine practice, keep up the peer pressure and keep things interesting. Perhaps layout a max round count and keep it relevant to pistol and rifle only.

l3mon
10-12-10, 14:23
Well jax, that's a funny story. Thursday me and the wife went to GA to visit my dad who was admitted to the hospital, and while we were there m wife had to have her appendix removed, so needless to say I'm still in GA, and won't be home until thursday. then I'll be takin care of the wife so yeah.

amac
11-02-10, 20:02
What's everyone up to? There haven't been any posts in "our" forum since the last 3gun. Anyone have any training suggestions? I've got an order on the way for some 5.56 dummy rounds. I need to get some for the 9mm next. I've got to get the tap, rack, bang drill down pat. I'm going to mix the dummies into a couple different mags and then run through them and handle the misfires. Should help some seeing how I had a misfire on my AR the last 3gun. I totally blew it!

I read your shotgun post Jax. How did you decide to mount the AFG? Anyone else changing up their weapons? Lets get some chat going here!!!

:cool:

jaxman7
11-03-10, 18:27
Amac,

Agreed, lets start some 'talkin'. Dummy rounds are a huge help. I've got dummy 9mm,5.56,& 12 gauge. I just finished practicing reloads on all 3 a couple of hours ago. If you can, order a bunch. If you practice malf drills it becomes a pain if you only have, say 3-4. Tap rack a few times and there you go again stripping a mag and reloading dummies. There are 2 types I have. Aluminum and steel cased shells with plastic bullets. The aluminium is great for dry firing but the extractor and feedramps chew them to pieces after awhile. The steel cased ones I have (I actually bought them from Jack @ elite) last much longer and are much cheaper. The downside is that there is a recess where the primer is and I don't think my M&P9's firing pin is having anything to strike against. The aluminum ones are struck by the firing pin and it is very discernable by the difference in sound.
Oh and I saw that malfunction with your AR bud. Not pretty!!;)

jaxman7
11-03-10, 18:39
Oh, and after hours and hours of filing and sanding and trying to figure out how to mount the AFG on my shotgun I came to the most technically proficient means for a mounting solution.....JB Weld! The forearm thickness and where I wanted to mount it just would not allow room for screws. I've put probably 150 through after the mod and so far so good. A couple of days ago I held the gun by the AFG and tried to get to break off. Its still on. Hopefully long term durability will be the same.

Fish,

If you read this I have a question. You and I position our support hands on a shotgun pretty much the same way with a thumb forward grip. After long strings of fire do you burn your palm? I am considering ordering a polymer handguard and modifying it to fit my auto to hopefully help with this problem.

-Jax

FishingFool
11-03-10, 21:12
Amac:

Try having a friend load your mags with a mix of live rounds, dummy rounds and spent brass. The spent brass really messes things up and causes interesting malfunctions. I subscribe to the theory that if the gun doesn't go bang I need to look at the chamber first to choose a remedial action.

Jax:

Not yet but burning myself is a concern. Wouldn't mind having a shield.

amac
11-03-10, 21:28
I hadn't thought of the used brass trick. I was going to load multiple mags, mix them up and then load and shoot. I ordered the magpul 223's and they're plastic. Feel like crap! No weight to them what so ever. Oh well. They were only $5 for 5.

I ran threw some of Jack's 9mm dummies during the training session. I liked his - they had good weight. The only draw back is the orange color stands out and my periphial catches the round feeding. I know what's about to happen. Still don't execute properly.

I did just buy the new Wilson AR15 trigger system. Very psyched to get that installed and fire off a few. I'm headin to the range on Sunday. I give a report after that.

jaxman7
11-03-10, 22:37
Sweet! Let us know how you like the TTU. I've been wanting to try out one of those.

FishingFool
11-04-10, 09:47
How about a November or December get together? Sherburne seems like the only range worth while.

jaxman7
11-04-10, 09:50
Do you want to have a training day?

FishingFool
11-04-10, 10:01
If we have enough target stands to set up something. Sherburne you gotta bring everything yourself.

amac
11-04-10, 21:01
So Fish, what do we need to make it work? Cardboard and sticks are easy to come by.... where do we get the stands to put them in? I'm in whenever. Let me know what I need to pick up.

I'm going to LaPlace on Sunday if you're interested.

jaxman7
11-04-10, 21:06
Election signs make great cheap target stands. Not that I've picked up some liberal candidates signs off of the road before! ;)

-Jax

FishingFool
11-05-10, 09:08
At least 1 target stand per person. I got 4 total and plenty of ipsc targets and pasties. What we work on would be dependant on you guys. I'm looking at the calendar and the 20th till the 27th is good for me.

amac
11-08-10, 07:35
Sweet! Let us know how you like the TTU. I've been wanting to try out one of those.

I went out yesterday to test out the TTU. I was definitely impressed. My first impression was crisp, clean break - like what you read in their description. After several more rounds, I thought back to my stock M&P trigger. I hate to say it, but there are some similarities. The TTU definitely has a lighter pull weight, shorter reset and no gritty feel. Also, the "click" is not as pronounced with the TTU. It's a smoother, softer cliiiiicccckkkk feel. Not to say it's not worth it, I just wonder what a good trigger job to the stock trigger I had in would feel like. The 4# pull vs. the 6-7# pull is obvious, but the resistance is a familiar feel. The biggest difference is the reset. Much shorter, with a positive click of re-engagement.

While I was there, I got to shoot an AR with the Giessele two-stage trigger. If you want smooth, that's the one! No clicking, just pull and bang. The reset is minimal. His was set to very little creep, then just break and bang! Wow, it was nice. Much smoother than the TTU. I'm not sure if that would be practical as a home defense, tactical or even 3gun set up. It felt very delicate. The shooter had his AR set up with a sniper scope and that trigger seemed a better choice for precision shooting.

If you're considering a new trigger, I hope this helps. I'll let anyone test it out that shows up at the next 3Gun. See you all there!

AMAC