PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P9C: The Saga Concludes?

Arclight
10-09-10, 12:37
For those who haven't seen my previous brief posts on the topic, the Cliff's Notes version: Earlier this year, I bought my better half an M&P9C for her birthday (yes, for her). She loved it, but during a training course the instructor verified that it shoots significantly high (c. 12") at 25 yards. We sent it back to S&W, they replaced the front sight which did not fix the problem so we sent it back again. This time it came back with a new slide, barrel and recoil spring assembly.

The verdict: While it seems to still shoot slightly high at 25 yards (c. 5") for folks who "shoot the dot" (sight covers target), it's just about right on for those who use the "ice cream cone" method (target sits on top of the sight). While not 100% what we would like to have seen, it's dead-on at close range and will qualify as "fine" for the purposes of this evolution.

Notes:
- While we were a little disappointed to need to send it back for work (twice), S&W support made it a painless, no-cost process. Each time it went back for service, it came back with an extra mag, even. I give S&W credit for putting customers first, no questions asked and being willing to keep trying to solve the problem until we're satisfied.
- I took this gun to VA Arms (http://www.virginiaarms.com/) yesterday for a front night sight (was there for another project anyway). While I won't say exactly how the transaction transpired, l will say this: I was once again truly impressed with VA Arms and Mr. GotM4. Fantastic service and generous consideration for their customers (meaning: I got free support when they should have charged me... and I would have happily paid). They even had Magpul Midlength handguards in stock.... who even carries those?? Thank you, VA Arms... even though it's a long drive, you know I'm coming back.

SWATcop556
10-09-10, 13:13
My M&P9C is one of my favorite handguns to carry. Glad to hear S&W is still sticking with the excellent CS. I'm glad I don't live close to VA Arms though. Robb would have all of my damn money and I'd have to sleep at the shop after my wife kicked me out.

Did he fix the POA/POI issues for you?

Arclight
10-09-10, 14:10
I've been pretty impressed with the M&Ps. She's got a full size and a M&P15T, both of which have been fine. The pistols are still having some growing pains (at least in the 9mm models) it seems, but they're pretty new. Glock had 20+ years to get their act together before I invested in one, so I have high expectations. Give S&W a decade or two and there won't be any more fleas.

I didn't think to ask him about that issue, just about the front sight replacement. I was actually there because my friend was getting his Triple Tap put on his KAC rifle, so I tagged along to get some work done on my AR and look for the pistol sight.

Since I have to go back to pick up my rifle (Noveske apparently cemented my muzzle device on), maybe I'll ask him about it next time.

I'm always happy to buy stuff from VA Arms (that's where we got the M&P in the first place). I've had nothing but positive experiences with them. It's probably good that it's a bit of a drive. Otherwise I'd be the best armed homeless guy in VA.

1911sforever
10-09-10, 17:49
Virginia Arms is by far the best gun store I've been in. Fair prices, well stocked, etc. Lots of stores have that. What separates Virginia Arms from them is the uniformly high quality of their sales staff.