PDA

View Full Version : SPR Stock

michael word
10-09-10, 22:23
I am building an SPR style rifle with a heavy 18" barrel and FF tube and can't decide to go with an A2 stock or a collapsible stock. What would you recomend? I know the collapsible stock will be more adjustable for different shooting positions, but will it make that much difference over the A2 stock? And if I do go with a collapsible stock, what weight buffer should I use?

danpass
10-09-10, 22:31
If you're going for accuracy (sounds like it) get the solidest stock you can, in this case the A2.

There is one of the collapsible Magpul stocks that has a friction lock, though I forget exactly which one.

JR TACTICAL
10-09-10, 22:31
I dont know how dead set on a certin stock you are but I would look at Magpul the PRS is a great stock for a SPR style rifle. they are a little expensive but work great. you could always go with a ACS as well it has a cheek weld piece built into the stock and is collapsable

Check them out

ALCOAR
10-09-10, 22:39
If a collapsible stock with a ton of ability to adjust that when in a position locks up every bit as solid with the same zero movement as an A2 fixed stock sounds good to you, than the UBR is what you want:)

Honorably Mention: LMT sopmod w. LMT tube

18" SPR w. UBR
http://i56.tinypic.com/zxs2o4.jpg

danpass
10-09-10, 22:40
I was wondering about that shoulder section of the UBR

sounds good :D

michael word
10-09-10, 22:54
I don't worry about the play in the the stock affecting accuracy as the play is taken out once the stock is firmly pressed against the shoulder. If going with the collapsibe stock I will go with the standard m4 style. When comparing the overall handling characteristics, is it worth it to go with the A2 stock or would the m4stocks adjustability make it better? Also, is there any LOP difference between the Colt style M4 stock and the commercial M4 stock?

Bolt_Overide
10-10-10, 00:52
Another +1 for the PRS.

I dont use the adjustable comb much with an AR type rifle, but the adjustable LOP and the ability to add a monopod are the tits. Then again Im a mutant and a normal A2 is a bit short for me.

Iraqgunz
10-10-10, 01:00
I went to an SPR Course here in Phoenix back in '08. The gun I had was using a standard type M4 stock if I recall correctly as did most of the guns. One or two had an A2 style stock.

We were all succesfully hitting our targets from 400-800M. So in the end I would say that it all depends on the shooter, the barrel and ammo. Conquer those things and everything else will be gravy.

ALCOAR
10-10-10, 04:23
There is sound logic in why the real MK 12's..aka SPRs in the wild do not use a wobbly standard m4 stock w. perhaps the very worst cheekweld and def. the worst specifically for precision applications.

This thread has a general tone so far that leads one to think that the butt stock is rather insignificant on these precision based guns...could not dissagree more with that sentiment and sure we can all half ass the job w. an ill suited crap stock but I try to tap every single avail area on my builds for additional performance/accuracy. This prob. falls into the whole "why use a filet minon when a sloppy joe gets the job done" category and since I figure I only get one life to enjoy these wonderful guns I will opt outta cutting corners or "getting by". Just my 2cents.

ryanm
10-10-10, 04:31
Take a look at the new ACE Hammer. Its built like a tank, has an adjustable cheek piece and as far as I can tell--could be used as a pugil stick. Its one hell of a piece of hardware, available at PKFirearms last I checked.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/8/7?page=12

Iraqgunz
10-10-10, 04:36
The guns that GPS Defense had a combination of both. I may be wrong as to which stock, but they were telescoping. In any case all of us did exceptionally well with the rifles as they were set up.

I was hitting targets with the loaner gun consistently out just past 800 yds, to include a first round hit at 864 yds. Obviously everyone is different, but that was my experience.

There is sound logic in why the real MK 12's..aka SPRs in the wild do not use a wobbly standard m4 stock w. perhaps the very worst cheekweld and def. the worst specifically for precision applications.

This thread has a general tone so far that leads one to think that the butt stock is rather insignificant on these precision based guns...could not dissagree more with that sentiment and sure we can all half ass the job w. an ill suited crap stock but I try to tap every single avail area on my builds for additional performance/accuracy. This prob. falls into the whole "why use a filet minon when a sloppy joe gets the job done" category and since I figure I only get one life to enjoy these wonderful guns I will opt outta cutting corners or "getting by". Just my 2cents.