PDA

View Full Version : Any one here used quicken will maker 2009?

MEGA-M4
10-09-10, 23:15
Any one here used quicken will maker 2009? I have some questions about a trust I am creating for an SBR. Please post if I can message you, thank you!

The most important question I have is, in the property area how do you exactly list the Ar15? do you put AR 15 and serial?

Iraqgunz
10-10-10, 02:34
Are you referring to the Schedule A? If so, here is how I did mine.

Short Barreled Rifle, caliber 5.56MM, model XXXXX, serial number xxxxxx.

Any one here used quicken will maker 2009? I have some questions about a trust I am creating for an SBR. Please post if I can message you, thank you!

The most important question I have is, in the property area how do you exactly list the Ar15? do you put AR 15 and serial?

MEGA-M4
10-10-10, 10:28

yes, thank you!

CGSteve
10-10-10, 13:51
I also used Quicken to form a trust to obtain NFA items. It is easy and I recommend it.

I'm sure you've already done your reading since you already started the procedure, but just be warned that the word is now the ATF is reviewing trusts with a higher level of scrutiny.

MEGA-M4
10-10-10, 18:03
What if ATF rejects your trust, what happens to the Tax stamp can you use it again?

Iraqgunz
10-10-10, 23:29
You won't get one if it doesn't pass their scrutiny. FYI- I have also used Quicken and thus far had 4 approvals. YMMV.

What if ATF rejects your trust, what happens to the Tax stamp can you use it again?

kry226
10-11-10, 07:33
I am slightly worried now as I only sent in the Schedule A, not B or C. I believe I read somewhere on here that somebody was delayed for not including Schedules B and C. Otherwise, I think my trust is solid.

Still waiting as of mid-August.

Iraqgunz
10-11-10, 07:57
You're fine. I just got another stamp back last week. I only included the Schedule A and I was approved.

I am slightly worried now as I only sent in the Schedule A, not B or C. I believe I read somewhere on here that somebody was delayed for not including Schedules B and C. Otherwise, I think my trust is solid.

Still waiting as of mid-August.

kry226
10-11-10, 10:58
You're fine. I just got another stamp back last week. I only included the Schedule A and I was approved.

Thanks, IG. :dance3:

MEGA-M4
10-11-10, 14:21
NFA items has peaked my gun intrests again, I can't wait :laugh:

MrOneEyedBoh
10-11-10, 16:57
MEga,
PM sent on a question.

Zeus
10-14-10, 22:12
Late to the game, but schedule A and approved...

kry226
11-22-10, 15:26

Bringing this back up:

FRAGO:

My app was just returned for not sending in Schedules B and C. FYSA and future use. :mad:

uwe1
11-22-10, 21:44
Does it matter if the Schedule A contains the lower to be SBR'd when you send it into the BATFE? In other words, SBR lower assigned to Schedule A before sending paperwork, after receiving returned paperwork, or it doesn't matter?

Also, does the Trust have to have possession of the upper or does just the lower go into the Trust?

I am debating on forming a trust to hold all of my firearms or just the NFA items.

Iraqgunz
11-22-10, 23:05
Never heard of a Schedule B or C. I just had an SBR approved a couple of months back and I didn't include wither of those.

Bringing this back up:

FRAGO:

My app was just returned for not sending in Schedules B and C. FYSA and future use. :mad:

kry226
11-23-10, 04:49
For example, my wife and I are the trustees for our RLT trust. Schedule A is the property that we jointly own that we are placing into the trust. Schedule B is the property that I own by myself that I am placing into the trust, and Schedule C is the property my wife owns that she is placing into the trust. If there were more trustees, then obviously, there would be D, E, F, etc.

Best I can understand it, these schedules are important in that should I ever revoke the trust, they articulate who owns said property now that the trust no longer does.

My Schedules B and C are blank.

Also, after studying this a little more, I think I see the issue. In one of the first parts of the trust where the trust is basically defining/naming itself, my trust says something like, "...property in Schedules A, B, and C will be known as trust property..." Thus, if your trust only mentions the use of "Schedule A," then you only need Schedule A. If it mentions other schedules, then you need to include them with the Form 1 or 4, so that the NFA has the trust "in its entirety."

Hope this help some folks. It has cost me at least another few weeks processing time. But now I know better.

brett
11-24-10, 05:06
I am wondering about all you would be NFA lawyers. Who do you think will pay the price if the BATF approves one of your forms by accident and later discovers a mistake in your self drawn up quickin trust. You will then be in illegal possession of class 3 weapons. Do you trust the guberment that much. Perhaps you all do your own taxes as well even if you own a business. We all know how forgiving the IRS is with US citizens.
These are big toys guys that you will spend tons of money on over time. Protect yourself an pay someone ONE TIME that does this for a living. Just saying. Good luck.
P.S. I am not a lawyer.:suicide:

Iraqgunz
11-24-10, 07:37
Please keep your dumb comments to yourself. I highly doubt they will "accidentally" approve it since the BATFE has been told to scrutinize them. I have had at least 4 approvals on my Trust and it was created with Willmaker. Unless you live in a state that has wonky laws it shouldn't be an issue. In fact, I think one of our members did a comparison between a lawyer drawn up one and a Quicken one and they were virtually identical.

I am wondering about all you would be NFA lawyers. Who do you think will pay the price if the BATF approves one of your forms by accident and later discovers a mistake in your self drawn up quickin trust. You will then be in illegal possession of class 3 weapons. Do you trust the guberment that much. Perhaps you all do your own taxes as well even if you own a business. We all know how forgiving the IRS is with US citizens.
These are big toys guys that you will spend tons of money on over time. Protect yourself an pay someone ONE TIME that does this for a living. Just saying. Good luck.

brett
11-24-10, 09:42
Some how I knew you would get pissed about this fact. Its not dumb, read SAR. call the ATF. Its pinheads too cheep to pay pepople to do it right that slows it all down. This is a fact. There are other NFA boards that know one hell of a lot more on this topic than anyone here that say the same thing. Sorry if facts hurt.

DCsampson
11-24-10, 10:28
I did lot of research on this site before I did my NFA trust on willmaker. If I remember right, it is the responsibility of BATFE to determine if the trust is correct. If they approve a transfer to a trust that is invalid in some way, the trustee can not be held responsible for the mistake of the BATFE. I will look for the thread that I found this info in and link if possible.

brett
11-24-10, 10:42
Lets put it this way guys. I will use the TSA as an example since they are Feds and in the news a lot latley. You go through security and forget about a gun you have in you carry on but you make it through the TSA check point and later for some other reason it is discovered. Do you really think they will let you off because the TSA messed up? Think about it. I would recomend you address life affecting NFA questions to people that are in the busniss and know. Not from people that say "it worked for me".

Iraqgunz
11-24-10, 11:23
I don't know how you "somehow" knew I would get pissed and really don't care. My point was that YOU are also not a lawyer, yet you felt the need to criticize others. I do read SAR and in fact I was reading them back in the day when they were MGN.

I have also seen trusts that were generated by lawyers and fail to see the difference between theirs and mine.

I look at it like "big boy rules" and if someone feels they exercised their due diligence and are happy with the results then so be it.

I don't need to call the ATF for anything. The fact that my trust is fine (in my state) and that I have complied with their standard is proof enough to me.

Judging by your tome on here I am sure that you also belong to the "constructive intent" crowd.

Some how I knew you would get pissed about this fact. Its not dumb, read SAR. call the ATF. Its pinheads too cheep to pay pepople to do it right that slows it all down. This is a fact. There are other NFA boards that know one hell of a lot more on this topic than anyone here that say the same thing. Sorry if facts hurt.

Iraqgunz
11-24-10, 11:25
That's an apples and oranges comparison and is in no way similar to what we are talking about. I suggest you relax a little bit and chill out.

Lets put it this way guys. I will use the TSA as an example since they are Feds and in the news a lot latley. You go through security and forget about a gun you have in you carry on but you make it through the TSA check point and later for some other reason it is discovered. Do you really think they will let you off because the TSA messed up? Think about it. I would recomend you address life affecting NFA questions to people that are in the busniss and know. Not from people that say "it worked for me".

brett
11-24-10, 11:40
I did not mean you particularly would be pissed. I agree with everything you just said. If you are happy with what you did with your trust great. Too bad you feel the need to put others down that think different than you. Good luck.

redtazdog
11-24-10, 11:42
ATF has approved more QWM trust than any other for many years
and several thousand trust later I've never heard of anyone in
trouble yet.
If something isnt correct on the trust atf will just tell you to fix it,
they wont come and knock down your door or shoot the dog
over this.
I made a QWM trust, took it to a trust lawyer friend to have it proof read when I showed him it he laughed at me as he booted up his second pc and started his QWM :p.
He said all is good on my trust :D since then I now have
over 16 stamps without any problems.
People that have been rejected didnt do a little research about a trust and didnt follow simple instructions when they made it, or they dont send all that is needed by atf to approve it.
If you dont understand how a trust works or have problems
with instructions then yes go see a lawyer.

redtazdog
11-24-10, 11:51
TSA let me off when they found out they messed up and didnt do their job, they didnt want it to go public that they screw up all the time.
They shit when they found my 44 mag in the suitcase :laugh:

J Krammes
11-24-10, 15:28
Please keep your dumb comments to yourself. I highly doubt they will "accidentally" approve it since the BATFE has been told to scrutinize them. I have had at least 4 approvals on my Trust and it was created with Willmaker. Unless you live in a state that has wonky laws it shouldn't be an issue. In fact, I think one of our members did a comparison between a lawyer drawn up one and a Quicken one and
they were virtually identical.

I spoke to an estate lawyer about trusts (he owns NFA stuff). He said that he just has his secretary type them up using a program very similar to Quicken. They have been around long enough to prove they are legit. There is no such thing as an "NFA trust". That was made up by a lawyer.

On my Schedule A I wrote
Noveske N4 SN:xxxx

I only write the item name, model, and serial number. I have 4 approvals on my trust.

Jk

brett
11-24-10, 16:10
That's an apples and oranges comparison and is in no way similar to what we are talking about. I suggest you relax a little bit and chill out.

Thanks for all your comments fellas. Sorry to you Iraqgunz, I didn't mean to get your panties in a wad. My bad. My only intent was to pass on advice from other NFA nutz like us that given to me. Thats ALL nothing more. :agree:

redtazdog
11-24-10, 20:50
I spoke to an estate lawyer about trusts (he owns NFA stuff). He said that he just has his secretary type them up using a program very similar to Quicken. They have been around long enough to prove they are legit. There is no such thing as an "NFA trust". That was made up by a lawyer as scare tatics to get buisness is what that trust
lawyer told me
:laugh:
Jk
Funny that a bunch of trust Lawers help make QWM and
some people think its not legit.

Iraqgunz
11-24-10, 23:37
Generally I go commando so my panties don't wad up. I don't have an issue with your advice, it was how it was presented.

Thanks for all your comments fellas. Sorry to you Iraqgunz, I didn't mean to get your panties in a wad. My bad. My only intent was to pass on advice from other NFA nutz like us that given to me. Thats ALL nothing more. :agree:

Don Robison
11-25-10, 00:25

I had a trust lawyer do the amendments to add my daughter as a trustee on my quicken trust and it took him about 90 seconds to say it was a valid trust.
Ya' think it might be the increased interest in NFA items that could be slowing the process down?:rolleyes:

brett
11-25-10, 07:55
Generally I go commando so my panties don't wad up. I don't have an issue with your advice, it was how it was presented.

10-4. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. All the best.

cuban11182
11-27-10, 18:09

I rarely post anything here, but I'm tossing the idea of purchasing a suppressor for my AR. I've spoken with two NFA Attorneys here in Florida. One wanted $600, and the other $250.

I also spoke with my sister who is an Attorney in Seattle, but has practiced in NC as a DA. I work for the Coast Guard as a Port State Control Officer, and spend alot of time is Code of Federal Regulations and US Code. I came across this: 26 USC 5812,

"Applications shall be denied if the transfer, receipt, or possession of the firearm would place the transferee in violation of law. (b) Transfer of possession The transferee of a firearm shall not take possession of the firearm unless the Secretary has approved the transfer and registration of the firearm to the transferee as required by subsection (a) of this section."

This relieves the burden on the individual and places it on the ATF. If not, they would just do a quick 15 minute check like when you purchase any other gun.

Again I've spent the last week or so looking up information, speaking with different attorneys, and learning as much as I can. I'm going to go the Quicken Route if I decide to purchase it. Just because I have the money to spend, doesn't mean its money well spent. Why would I pay a car dealer $80 to change the oil in my VW when it costs me about 30 to do it?:sarcastic:

This is just my $0.02 though, if you want to spend extra on it, then more power to you. P.S. I'm not a lawyer either, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

DCsampson
11-27-10, 18:27
Thank you Cuban,
That is the quote that I remember from when I was doing my reasearch. It was that quote that convinced me that I could create my own NFA trust using willmaker, save the lawyer fees and still be legal.

cuban11182
11-27-10, 18:29
You are very welcome.

I have the itch to pick up the Suppressor, but I need to wait and see if my voluntary deployment goes through. The dealer I've spoken with has a Liberty Constitution in stock. If I don't hear anything soon, I'll jump on it.

kry226
12-07-10, 06:15
Bringing this back up:

FRAGO:

Bringing this back up for update: Application returned to me for corrections on 22 Nov. Schedules B & C sent back to NFA on 23 Nov. Approval and stamp received 2 Dec. That's a turn around of less than two weeks from correction to approval, including snail mail time.

In total 114 days, with corrections, from initial Form 1 mailing to stamp received.

Bottom line: if your trust mentions any schedules, those schedules must be sent to the NFA for a complete trust.