PDA

View Full Version : First Day CCW

donlapalma
10-10-10, 00:57
Well, I finally did it. Today was my first day of concealed carry. After combing through these forums, gathering information, reading about all of your personal experiences, studying and training, I have finally acquired the tools, skills and knowledge to feel comfortable enough to join the concealed carry community.

I have to say it was an exhilirating feeling. I felt very cautious and self-conscious. I carried everywhere I went today and I couldn't help thinking "Can they see it?? Do they know??" I even had a quick scare on the freeway when I thought a police officer was going to pull me over for slightly speeding. I wondered how I would handle that situation, what I would say, and how I would act. I know I will grow more comfortable over time especially after I figure out my own personal preferences with respect to method of carry, clothing, etc. Let's just say that I'm glad day one is in the books.

Anyhow, thanks to all for contributing and ultimately encouraging me to bear the responsibility that comes with my choice.

Do you remember your 1st day of concealed carry? What was it like for you and what contributed to your choice for carrying? Is there anybody that used to carry and doesn't anymore? If so, why?

skyugo
10-10-10, 01:06
my advice-nobody can see your gun.

seriously.
NOBODY SEES IT.

keep that playing in your mind.
stand up straight, hands to your side, go about your business. just do your thing.

i definitely remember when i started carrying...
takes a good year to get used to really. it's funny now when i've got a fitted t-shirt over a mid sized glock and show it to someone and they're surprised. even if you print it barely matters.

Ak44
10-10-10, 01:31
I remember my first day wearing my glock in (what I thought at the time was) a sweet bellyband :sarcastic:

Magic_Salad0892
10-10-10, 03:53
I remember my first day carrying.

I went home at the end of the day, and something told me to check the magazine, as the gun felt a little light.

I had been carrying an empty magazine all day. :eek:

At least I had a reload... :rolleyes:

It was extremely embarrassing, and after telling somebody about it I still get shit for it. That was like 3 years ago. (Started carrying at 21.)

Moral of the story: I'm a retard. Don't emulate my experience. Chamber check before you leave the house.

Omega Man
10-10-10, 04:17
Its legal were i live to open carry, and i did feel self conscious when doing so. But i never felt wierd carrying concealed, because i knew no one could see.

Will_Die_Trying
10-10-10, 05:39
Gratz!!

I am still waiting on my CHL(Concealed Handgun Lincense) to comeback from state. I can not wait for my first day.

By the way, what were you sproting around today?

What was your method of concealment?

Cheers

NavyDavy55
10-10-10, 08:08
I remember when I first started carrying concealed and was I ever self consious of my gun. Now after many years of CCing it's just normal for me to carry.

Business_Casual
10-10-10, 08:54
That's great. I wish the thread title had less drama. Maybe something such as "First Time CCW" would have been better.

As others noted, no one can see.

B_C

donlapalma
10-10-10, 10:51
Gratz!!

I am still waiting on my CHL(Concealed Handgun Lincense) to comeback from state. I can not wait for my first day.

By the way, what were you sproting around today?

What was your method of concealment?

Cheers

I carried a Glock G19 in a Comp-tac Minotaur IWB holster. It was squeaking quite a bit so that made me even more conscious of it. I wonder if that will stop with break-in.

ST911
10-10-10, 11:00
I have to say it was an exhilirating feeling. I felt very cautious and self-conscious. I carried everywhere I went today and I couldn't help thinking "Can they see it?? Do they know??"

In a modern era of multi-tools, Blackberrys and smart phones, and all kinds of other gadgets, no one is going to see your gun, much less think that's what it is.

I even had a quick scare on the freeway when I thought a police officer was going to pull me over for slightly speeding. I wondered how I would handle that situation, what I would say, and how I would act.

Most cops won't notice your gun, either.

Do you remember your 1st day of concealed carry? What was it like for you and what contributed to your choice for carrying? Is there anybody that used to carry and doesn't anymore? If so, why?

I think most folks feel like you did their first time. Self conscious, nervous, anxious, etc. It goes away with time. Help it along by buying quality gear, practicing concealment and deployment, learning and avoiding the various tells that will give you away, and carrying everyday.

Ultimately, you'll find that you can carry multiple guns, knives, and lights, and feel under dressed and anxious only when you don't.

fivefivesix
10-10-10, 11:29
iive had mine for 3 months now and im still very concious about it. im always saying to myself is it showing. im 6ft 2in 240 and have 2 buy 3x shirts just to cover my iwb. its starting to get more natural. i carry a g17 because of my big paws but my first 3 holsters work well. i still like my cool belly band,:sarcastic:, that i wear around my waist when i have gym shorts on.
when i first was called to pick up my permit i threw my load out in the trunk, picked up my permit and straped on my holster, little did i know my shirt was a little too short so an inch of the slide barrel was poking out all day. since like i said i have had to buy longer shirts

jmp45
10-10-10, 11:30
Wifey and I got our ccw last spring. She hasn't carried yet, I do quite often. First time, very self conscious, I guess it's normal. I'm hoping someday we will be able to go into restaurants with ccw in Ohio. I spoke to an leo in a city north extensively about ccw. He said that if you get pulled over they will know, and that they are more comfortable to know than not know. Just follow procedures if it happens.

I've been wearing orvis surfwashed shirts all summer. They cover perfectly, don't shrink like a typical cotton.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1P1T

NotDylan
10-10-10, 11:36
The owner of the shop I work at carries at work and likes to see his employees carry at work as well. I've had a full size M&P 9 or Glock 19 in a Raven Phantom owb with one of our dark blue button up work shirts draped over it for over a year. The only people who know are the people I've told and when I do tell them, they had no idea prior.

MarshallDodge
10-10-10, 11:41
Congratulations. I have been carrying so long that I can't even remember what my first time was like.

I agree about others not seeing it. I open carry from time to time and people still don't notice.

skyugo
10-10-10, 11:41

I went home at the end of the day, and something told me to check the magazine, as the gun felt a little light.

It was extremely embarrassing, and after telling somebody about it I still get shit for it. That was like 3 years ago. (Started carrying at 21.)

Moral of the story: I'm a retard. Don't emulate my experience. Chamber check before you leave the house.

i left the house with my G26 with no mag in it a few months ago. had one in the chamber.
luckily i had a G19 mag in my glovebox to toss in. :o

matemike
10-10-10, 12:32
I carried a Glock G19 in a Comp-tac Minotaur IWB holster. It was squeaking quite a bit so that made me even more conscious of it. I wonder if that will stop with break-in.

nice set up...similar to what i'm thinking about going with as I already have a G19 and strong belt from the belt-man

but another general concensus question...
do you carry with a round in the chamber?

I ask cuz I do not like doing that, even when just plinking around at my hunting lease...but couldn't that be another comfort zone that will be reached as well?

RD62
10-10-10, 13:44
I remember my first day carrying. I was in a grocery store looking over the magazine rack when a LEO came from behind me, and said, "Excuse me sir, may I speak with you a moment?"

I thought I was gonna crap my pants! Turned out he saw me pull in the parking lot and wanted to ask me about my Mustang!

Beat Trash
10-10-10, 13:50
I can't remember the first time I CCW'ed. I do remember thinking I needed to carry something really small to effectively conceal it. I thought anything bigger than a PPK or a S&W J frame in my waist would show.

Over the years, the size of my CCW gun has grown, and my ability to conceal it has improved, due to better holster designs.

Whether CCW off duty, or getting dressed for work (Uniform LEO), I always check the gun to ensure it's loaded and a round is in the chamber.

SWATcop556
10-10-10, 15:17

I ask cuz I do not like doing that, even when just plinking around at my hunting lease...but couldn't that be another comfort zone that will be reached as well?

A gun is nothing more than a ineffective club or paper weight without a round in the chamber.

Quality training and range time will overcome this. My thoughts are if you are uncomfortable with a round in the chamber then carry a cell phone to call 911 because you don't need to be carrying a firearm. Not trying to be an ass. Just being straight up.

oldtexan
10-10-10, 15:41
Do you remember your 1st day of concealed carry? What was it like for you and what contributed to your choice for carrying?

I first carried when Jimmy Carter was President. Was manager of a clothing store and had to carry a lot of cash to the bank when we closed the store each evening. That was well before "shall issue" laws. The sheriff in our county was pretty easy on requirements for issuing permits to carry.

I remember being self-conscious at first; it wears off with experience. I carried a S&W 6" barreled Model 28 in a horizontal shoulder holster under a suit coat; I don't think anyone noticed.

friendlyfireisnt
10-10-10, 15:51
my advice-nobody can see your gun.

seriously.
NOBODY SEES IT.

Agreed. The only person who has ever noticed in the more than 8 years I have been carrying, is my wife.

When I first started to carry, I was working as a photojournalist, and I was on an assignment to photograph the local candidates on election night at their election night parties. One of the parties was in a bar in a fairly bad neighborhood, so I elected to carry that night.

Had no idea that the bar was actually the local police bar, and most of those hanging out were off-duty officers. If ever there was a time that someone new to carrying would be made, it would be in a bar with 100+ police officers on an election night.

Nobody noticed. ;)

Sry0fcr
10-10-10, 17:59
Most cops won't notice your gun, either.

Amen. After a while I figured out that *I* was the one that drove me to want a smaller gun. Stop worrying about it.

Irish
10-10-10, 18:32
Well, I finally did it. Today was my first day of concealed carry.

I'm curious since you live in AZ. Did you go through the permit process or are you concealed carrying under the new laws that don't require a permit to CCW?

Don't sweat people "making you" while CCW'ing. I've carried a full size 1911 open carry on a few occasions, out shopping with wifey, and 99% of people are oblivious to even that.

Travelingchild
10-10-10, 18:43
A gun is nothing more than a ineffective club or paper weight without a round in the chamber.

Just being straight up.

That^^
During my ccw class some asked about that..Every Cop in the room Said WHY??? Not directed at the OP but later in more light hearted atmosphere after class,one officers response was If you feel that way carry a rock and no permit required.

Back to the thread I'm 5'7" 125 soaking wet sometimes full size 1911 usually commander 4.25 carry owb covered by dark colored clothing.. NO ONE notices...

Hmac
10-10-10, 18:50
I spoke to an leo in a city north extensively about ccw. He said that if you get pulled over they will know, and that they are more comfortable to know than not know. Just follow procedures if it happens.

Here, it comes up on the computer when your license is run but around here no one ever asks if you are actually carrying unless it's a suspicion of DUI, and permit holders are encouraged by many instructors not to volunteer the info. Legal blood alcohol for carrying in this state is less than .04, so you might not get a DUI between .04 and .08, but you'd likely get your permit revoked if you're carrying in that range.

helothar
10-10-10, 18:52
nice set up...similar to what i'm thinking about going with as I already have a G19 and strong belt from the belt-man

Its definitely better to carry a round in the chamber, as evidenced by this training video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kI9-bD5Bo

Black Jeep
10-10-10, 21:00
I recall the first time took advantage of my CWP. I made it through the day without the gun going off or anyone freaking out about a man with a gun. Mighty successful, huh? As others have said, you will notice it more than other folks. Just learn some of the basic CC tips (dark colors & patterns hide printing, don't bend over at the waist, don't constantly fidget with your rig, etc.) and soon it will be as natural as carrying your wallet.

I carry my Glock 23 most of the time, but I also have a full size 1911 that I will often carry. I'm comfortable and confident in my pistols, holsters and belt to sufficiently carry the load. Good luck as you grow in your confidence. May you never need to use your pistol.

donlapalma
10-10-10, 21:55
I'm curious since you live in AZ. Did you go through the permit process or are you concealed carrying under the new laws that don't require a permit to CCW?

Don't sweat people "making you" while CCW'ing. I've carried a full size 1911 open carry on a few occasions, out shopping with wifey, and 99% of people are oblivious to even that.

I'm carrying under the new AZ laws that don't require a permit. However, I still want to pursue the CCW permit for 2 reasons: 1) the reciprocity laws with other states; and 2) I feel that it's better to have the permit than not. I feel as if it will further evidence that I am a law abiding citizen who is willing to go above and beyond what is currently required by state law. If I were to ever be questioned about my weapon, I feel that being able to show my permit would exhibit my good standing in society (i.e., no felony convictions or indictments, etc.). Does #2 seem like logical reasoning? Or should I just forget it since I'm complying with our state's laws anyways?

P.S. - Thanks for everybody's votes of confidence. Day #2 was much better. I can see myself being extremely comfortable in absolutely no time. Just have to keep carrying!

Black Jeep
10-10-10, 22:13
#2 makes sense and may be worth it if it opens up reciprocity so you can travel about.

TOrrock
10-10-10, 22:29
22 years ago, I was 17, with a Springfield Armory M1911A1 "MilSpec" in a Bianchi #3 IWB.

Beat Trash
10-11-10, 11:54
Here, it comes up on the computer when your license is run but around here no one ever asks if you are actually carrying unless it's a suspicion of DUI, and permit holders are encouraged by many instructors not to volunteer the info. Legal blood alcohol for carrying in this state is less than .04, so you might not get a DUI between .04 and .08, but you'd likely get your permit revoked if you're carrying in that range.

In Ohio, if you are stopped by a LEO, you are required to tell the officer if you are carrying. The law also states the permit holder is to follow the instructions of the officer at that point. If you do not, then you are committing a criminal offense. When your plates are ran, the CCW permit will show to the officer.

In reality, this is a non-issue. Neither I nor the officers who work for me, have had any issues with permit holders at traffic stops. Being polite and keeping hands visible, often helps the officer in the decision to cite or warn for the traffic violation.

Alex F
10-11-10, 15:05
I've open carried with a black 1911 against a black shirt and no-one saw it.

No-one ever sees you CCWing. People don't home in on that. They just see another guy out shopping/eating/walking/whatever.

Just relax and enjoy.

Huntindoc
10-11-10, 16:37
One more for the NO ONE KNOWS.

Including LEOs. I have lots of friends in multiple departments around the area and none have ever been able to tell if I am carrying or not. Even when spending the day with them.

Occasionally I will spot someone getting out of the car due to the shirt flip that most of us wind up doing out of reflex to be sure the gun is covered but no one I know outside of CCWs ever have noticed it. Including most LEO friends I have. Every LEO friend I ever mentioned it to was surprised to find out how much they have been missing people carrying.

Beat Trash
10-11-10, 17:07
When at work, I usually am able to spot armed individuals not so much by the "bulge" but by their body language. People new to carrying tend to touch the gun when moving, either with their hand or their arm.

The more experience you have carrying concealed, the less obvious it will be. Fortunately, the dope selling crowd in my city haven't yet discovered quality holsters. They still give off the "tells".

To the OP, keep legally carrying. In time you will discover you become so used to carrying that you might have to check to ensure you actually have you gun. Kinda like patting your back pocket when leaving the house to ensure you remembered to grab your wallet.

denn1911
10-11-10, 17:08
Congrats on taking your first plunge into responsible concealed carry. I've been carrying concealed for the last 14 years so it's second nature now. It will be the same for you also. Have the confidence to know that when you are wearing a quality holster and the right clothing, your firearm will not be seen by anyone. Be safe.

Carne Frio
10-11-10, 17:17
Welcome to the club ! Have you done the " Walmart Walk " yet ?

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texas-concealed-handgun-chl-sponsored-double-action-chl/11548-1st-time-concealed-carry-walmart-walk.html

Alpha Sierra
10-11-10, 17:34

You really need to let go of the fudd mentality and "rules".

A defensive weapon is useless unless it is ready the moment it clears leather with no more action necessary than pressing the trigger straight back.

Get over that, stat.

Alpha Sierra
10-11-10, 17:37
I'm carrying under the new AZ laws that don't require a permit. However, I still want to pursue the CCW permit for 2 reasons: 1) the reciprocity laws with other states; and 2) I feel that it's better to have the permit than not. I feel as if it will further evidence that I am a law abiding citizen who is willing to go above and beyond what is currently required by state law. If I were to ever be questioned about my weapon, I feel that being able to show my permit would exhibit my good standing in society (i.e., no felony convictions or indictments, etc.). Does #2 seem like logical reasoning? Or should I just forget it since I'm complying with our state's laws anyways?!#2 makes sense from the point of view of reciprocity ONLY.

Bearing arms (and what is carrying if not bearing) is a right. There is no need to justify it to anyone.

donlapalma
10-11-10, 18:22
Welcome to the club ! Have you done the " Walmart Walk " yet ?

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texas-concealed-handgun-chl-sponsored-double-action-chl/11548-1st-time-concealed-carry-walmart-walk.html

That's funny. Coincidentally, I did go to Wal-Mart over the weekend, but not to buy ammo or nachos. :laugh:

SteveL
10-11-10, 18:42
I've had a CCW permit since my early 20's (I'm 33 now), but I never really used it except for a few odd occasions. I recently bought a M&P 9c and a CompTac Minotaur IWB holster and now I'm carrying every day and everywhere I go (except for work). Even though it's only been a couple of months I already feel naked if I don't have it. When I have it I don't think twice about it and go about my business as usual.

1_click_off
10-11-10, 18:56
Going back to letting LEO know your carring. My state requires you to self notify also. I self identified 5 times and only once did the officer check my gun. The other 4 just asked to see my permit and asked me to keep my hands visable at all times. Just a bunch of stupid circumstances that made me have this many encounters, only one was my fault and it was speeding and this is the one that called my serial number in to see if reported stolen. Don't sweat the small stuff, just make sure it's secure and it doesn't flop out on the floor in wal-mart.

PlatoCATM
10-11-10, 20:42
That's awesome. Thanks for the laugh.

Magic_Salad0892
10-12-10, 04:34
That's awesome. Thanks for the laugh.

Glad somebody laughed. :laugh:

ghettomedic
10-12-10, 08:18
First day for me was November 10th, 2005, three days after my 21st birthday.

Went from the courthouse (where I picked up my permit) to a gas station, where I put a Rossi 88 with a dremel-bobbed hammer IWB in a Don Hume holster and headed to Wal-Mart for some ammo (No nachos though).

Naxet1959
10-12-10, 09:10
This has been a fun thread to read through. I'm waiting on my permit which should be here at the end of the month. Looks like I need to plan a trip to Wallyworld or maybe somewhere a bit more memorable as an inaugural debut. Any suggestions?

pennzoil
10-12-10, 09:36
I'm carrying under the new AZ laws that don't require a permit. However, I still want to pursue the CCW permit for 2 reasons: 1) the reciprocity laws with other states; and 2) I feel that it's better to have the permit than not. I feel as if it will further evidence that I am a law abiding citizen who is willing to go above and beyond what is currently required by state law. If I were to ever be questioned about my weapon, I feel that being able to show my permit would exhibit my good standing in society (i.e., no felony convictions or indictments, etc.). Does #2 seem like logical reasoning? Or should I just forget it since I'm complying with our state's laws anyways?

P.S. - Thanks for everybody's votes of confidence. Day #2 was much better. I can see myself being extremely comfortable in absolutely no time. Just have to keep carrying!

Another good reason to get the permit is that the new law doesn't cover establishments that serve alcoholic beverages so without the permit they are still a no go. Along with no NICS check required when buying new toys:).

Glad more to hear another good person is pack'in in our state. I had a gun belt that squeaked like crazy and I just put a light coat of baby powder every once in awhile on the contact points between the holster/belt. The baby powder would eliminate the squeaking.

mnoe82
10-12-10, 12:34
I was at a bar the other night with my brother and told him I was going out to lock the gun up. He couldn't believe I was carrying. I told him everytime he'd seen me in the past three months I had been carrying. He had no clue.

Like others said, nobody notices.

Six Feet Under
10-13-10, 23:11
I just submitted my paperwork today for my CWP, so I'm hoping I'll get it back in a week or so.

Iraqgunz
10-14-10, 03:36
Not really. In Arizona you cannot carry in a bar or restaurant without a permit. So getting one makes sense in more than one way.

#2 makes sense from the point of view of reciprocity ONLY.

Bearing arms (and what is carrying if not bearing) is a right. There is no need to justify it to anyone.

Iraqgunz
10-14-10, 03:39
What website am I on?

Steve S.
10-18-10, 23:13
What website am I on?

The one where people quote themselves...

Tomahawk_Ghost
10-19-10, 09:26
When you get a little lazy about carrying and say "ah, I'm just running in here." Think about this video.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/29888

bobdavis
10-19-10, 17:40
Here's something I posted on another site.

Update from a year of living more or less the same few days I outlined in the original post. Not a lot has changed. My carry rig is the same, minus the Wilderness belt (which I don't like, but still have) and I dabbled with appendix carry for a while when my back started to hurt, but I'm back to the MTAC at 3:00. I carry as often as is legally an option for me, and I pay attention to what I'm doing. In the process I've learned some things.

Some items of note:

Nobody has ever asked about why my shirt's untucked.
Nobody has ever "busted" me.
my kids have never mentioned the gun in a public setting - even after bonking foreheads on the rear sight.
talking about carrying with your kids before it comes up in public will save you embarrassment and explaining.
I never "forget I have it on", but the gun is far from the focus of my mind.
I find that I'm much more likely to wave an annoying driver on, or be more patient with people (why?)
I have come to a new appreciation for my carry gun (glock 19)
I've tried a couple different holsters, but still like the MTAC.
I've adjusted the MTAC a couple different ways, but I'm still not sure I've hit "the way".
Appendix carry can really work - but it's a little scary.
Good appendix holsters are sort of magical beasts - but they're great.
I sort of wish I had a nicer setup than the very utilitarian MTAC/Glock for going out to nicer events.
I don't like riggers belts (Wilderness 5 stitch)
I believe that the "The Beltman" bullhide belt I have coming to me will be great.
The double thick Cabella's belt does ok for a cheaper solution that's temporary.
I wish I had more time to practice.
I wish I had more time and money for training.
16 rounds onboard is comforting.
a pistol that holds 16 rounds isn't really that uncomfortable
undershirts are hot in the middle of summer
Kydex is awesome.
take your gun off prior to having to jump into the pool to extract your overly brave child.
Don't worry about the kydex holster though.
button-up plaid sport shirts are awesome.
Seersucker shirts will really break up any printing.
a black gun will show through a pink polo.
nobody sees your gun.
if you have a friend who's a "hugger", she probably won't notice either. (hint, lead with your offhand - left in my case)
don't fidget with your gun.
I'm really looking forward to cooler weather.
30.06 signs (the gunbuster that matters in TX) make me feel unwanted.
when you accidently hand a CHL to someone for ID instead of your DL, they probably won't freak.
having a CHL isn't something you discuss with everyone
old (dead-head hippie) girlfriends from college might unfriend you on facebook, for example...

That's a quick list of things the past year has taught me.

Hope you get something out of it!

bob