PDA

View Full Version : Correct end plate install?

djegators
10-10-10, 14:12
I always assumed that the correct install for a standard end plate is for the indentation to go into the rear of the lower receiver, but I have a factory Colt 6920 where it is installed facing the other way. Which is correct, and how much does it matter?

usmcvet
10-10-10, 14:18
If I am understanding you right that is backwards. Can you post a photo?

djegators
10-10-10, 14:38
http://oi51.tinypic.com/syl405.jpg

usmcvet
10-10-10, 15:03
Unless it is double sided it looks backwards to me. Is it a new gun or is it new.to you? I would contact the manufacturer and ask them to fix it.

djegators
10-10-10, 15:04
Unless it is double sided it looks backwards to me. Is it a new gun or is it new.to you? I would contact the manufacturer and ask them to fix it.

It is an older Colt LE6920 that I purchased from a private seller NIB. If all needs is to be reversed, I can handle that.

Hmac
10-10-10, 15:06
Is the staking on the castle nut broken? I'm wondering if it was built that way at Colt, or it it happened to re-assemble itself while it was sitting new in the box.

djegators
10-10-10, 15:10
Staking is still intact, and true, the seller could have been a liar, but I received in this the wrapper, in the original box. He said he bought it new, and it sat in the safe until he needed cash and sold it to me.

Eric
10-10-10, 16:50
It is indeed on backwards. Colt uses some substantial staking, so be sure you have a decent wrench and be ready to lean into it.

Very odd, but stuff can slip through QC on occasion. I had a bad BCG from Colt and they sent a pre-paid UPS label for pickup. If you're not inclined to tackle it yourself, I would call Colt.

OutlawDon
10-10-10, 18:15
Backwards for sure.

Flip it!

usmcvet
10-10-10, 20:51
Backwards for sure.

Flip it!

Perfect time for a QD end plate from Noveske or DD.

djegators
10-10-10, 20:57
Perfect time for a QD end plate from Noveske or DD.

Haha...reading my mind....I already decided that next time I place an order for parts or accessories, getting a Noveske plate for this AR.

Iraqgunz
10-10-10, 22:28
A WORD OF CAUTION! If you do not use the correct tools to include a vise block of some sort it will be very difficult and you can potential damage the weapon.

I recommend that you put some Kroil or similar oil on the whole castle nut area and allow it to soak in before you start your surgery.

djegators
10-10-10, 22:34
A WORD OF CAUTION! If you do not use the correct tools to include a vise block of some sort it will be very difficult and you can potential damage the weapon.

I recommend that you put some Kroil or similar oil on the whole castle nut area and allow it to soak in before you start your surgery.

Hmm...forgive my ignorance, but since I have built a few lowers before, and changed stocks before, I assumed this was a simple matter of removing the castle nut, buffer tube, etc, and re-attaching...

Iraqgunz
10-10-10, 22:45
That is partially correct. Unless the monkey who put it on backwards happened to over-torque the nut or put some crap on the threads that you can't see.

I am dubious of the claim that "it came like that". It could happen, but usually when one digs deeper they will find out that isn't the case. Remember when people sell things they are making a sale. If he really needed the money there is no way in hell he would say that someone dicked with it if it will kill the sale.

I also made the mention because of it being staked. Do a search of this site for all the people who have had problems breaking a staked castle nut loose. If this doesn't apply to you, then drive on.

Hmm...forgive my ignorance, but since I have built a few lowers before, and changed stocks before, I assumed this was a simple matter of removing the castle nut, buffer tube, etc, and re-attaching...

djegators
10-10-10, 22:53
Thanks again, will proceed with caution.

beavo451
10-11-10, 08:06
If it's not too late, would you post a picture of the staking itself?

djegators
10-11-10, 08:40
If it's not too late, would you post a picture of the staking itself?

Not a great picture, but I think it is visible:

http://oi55.tinypic.com/2nhkb5d.jpg

beavo451
10-11-10, 18:33
Based on that picture, it can be fairly likely that it did come that way from Colt. Colt's staking leaves a square-ish impression. It's a four position receiver extension too, right?

jklaughrey
10-11-10, 18:41
Colt stake job's can be a bitch to break loose. I agree with Beavo looks like a standard Colt stake. +1 on what IG says about Kroil and a block especially if factory Colt job, or done by some Fudd and decided to use red loctite...LOL

Iraqgunz
10-11-10, 19:24
I would say that looks like a Colt staking as well. It is entirely possible that they screwed up.

Based on that picture, it can be fairly likely that it did come that way from Colt. Colt's staking leaves a square-ish impression. It's a four position receiver extension too, right?

djegators
10-11-10, 20:29
Anyone have experience with contacting Colt over an issue like this?

M90A1
10-11-10, 21:42
They made the stake with a punch. Why not drive it back out with another punch and then loosen the nut? Or am I missing something? Another way to remove the stake would be to grind it out carefully with a small burr in a Dremel tool.