PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 2nd Gen Mags & Followers UPDATED

556A2
10-10-10, 17:47
I picked up some used FML G17 mags for pretty cheap. These are 2nd Gen bodies with the LEO Only markings.

The thing is 3 of them have #4 magazine followers, and one has a 9mm #3 magazine follower.

I was under the impression that Gen 2 Mag bodies are only supposed to use #1-#3 followers, and #4-#6 followers were for 3rd Gen magazines.

Do the followers need to be changed?

(Also I've heard that if you can send magazines in to Glock to be refurbished. Would it be worth it in the case of these magazines?)

Ak44
10-10-10, 18:54
Run a few hundred rounds through those mags if they are gonna be used in your carry gun. If they are just range mags I would just shoot them and not worry. I ordered two glock 17 17rd +2 mags from glock parts, they arrived and were LE Restricted mags from 1994. They had #4 followers in them, and I replaced them with #6 followers (I'm OCD). I just use them as range/training mags. There's nothing wrong with them but I don't like the way they seat in my glock compared to my Gen 3 Mags with #6 followers.

556A2
10-12-10, 15:21
Slight Update

I tried all the magazines out, but the three with the #4 followers would always fail to drop free out of all my Glocks.

I called Glock, and they told me to send them in for them to check them out. So I went & mailed them off today.

I'll update once I hear back from Glock.

Ak44
10-12-10, 15:26
Slight Update

I tried all the magazines out, but the three with the #4 followers would always fail to drop free out of all my Glocks.

I called Glock, and they told me to send them in for them to check them out. So I went & mailed them off today.

I'll update once I hear back from Glock.

Maybe they are drop free mags :confused:

556A2
10-20-10, 13:17
UPDATE:

Never got a phone call from Glock, and had Fed-Ex drop off a package.

Opened the package, and have 3 brand new G17 magazines with the Gen4 cuts. Just with a small note saying replaced the magazines, and tested okay.

A huge A+ for Glock CS. :)

JDW67
10-20-10, 13:52
UPDATE:

Never got a phone call from Glock, and had Fed-Ex drop off a package.

Opened the package, and have 3 brand new G17 magazines with the Gen4 cuts. Just with a small note saying replaced the magazines, and tested okay.

A huge A+ for Glock CS. :)

Wow, nice...Glock just said the hell with it and sent new mags...

Ak44
10-20-10, 14:32
Awesome...hmm looks like I have some old mags that need to get tested as well :sarcastic:

D. Christopher
10-20-10, 14:51
Glock is always very smart and very generous about these issues. Anytime they get the chance to remove old magazines from the field and replace them with new or at least rebuilt and tested mags they do it. It's a smart move all around, the customer is happy and says good things about them and they lessen the chance of having to deal with a problem pistol later on. It's also cheaper and easier for both parties to just ship mags instead of a pistol. It's good policy and good preventative maintenance and helps protect their reputation for reliable pistols. Glock has great customer service.

JDW67
10-20-10, 15:46
Awesome...hmm looks like I have some old mags that need to get tested as well :sarcastic:

Come to think of it, I have some old mags that need the same testing :sarcastic: