PDA

View Full Version : Concealment methods

Will_Die_Trying
10-10-10, 19:48
I am waiting for my texas state chl to come in the mail.

I have been going to teh gun shop several times now. This last time, yesturday, i started putting guns in holsters and trying them on. IWB and OWB.

My concern is that while i see ppl on you tube and the internet concealing larger guns like 4" 1911's or glock 19's, i am not sure I have the knowledge to pull this off.

I have been looking at the small kel tec pf-9 and for IWB it was rather comfortable, but I am concerned about its reliability.

Winter is coming up and I am wondering if any of you guys might have some advise for winter carry that will not require specialized clothing. I normally wear pants, shirt and a light jacket or maybe a heavier coat.

Does getting a glock 26 or 4" 1911 and shoulder holstering it or OWB'n it sound liek a reasonable move for winter? Or will I get into problems like when I go into a resturant and maybe need to take my jacket/coat off?

Thanks for any help. Advise that can keep me out of jail is always valued.

Sry0fcr
10-10-10, 19:52
First, stop worrying so much people don't notice even when I'm printing to my own eye (wearing a fitted or thinner T-shirt). You can go IWB or OWB but that depends on how long your shirt is. I find IWB works better for me because the muzzle isn't visible and I get belt retention to aid stability. Personally I think shoulder holsters are or T.V. actors but that's just my opinion.

kjdoski
10-10-10, 20:26
W_D_T - people worry a little too much about being "made." I've never been so chuffed about anything Keltec that I'd carry it as a primary weapon.

WRT your specific question, I'd humbly recommend you look at the Glock 19. It is, perhaps, the most size efficient pistol ever made. Accuracy is going to be comfortably better than your Keltec, though definitely not up to 1911 standards. 15+1 of good 9mm JHP is nothing to sneeze at for defensive purposes. Trigger is good, sights need to be replaced with NS, but that's going to be true of any pistol. Best of all, because of its size and weight, it's very easy to conceal under even very light covering garments. I live in So FL, and I carry a G19 every day, under an untucked polo shirt or "casual" shirt - and have never had anyone look twice at me.

During the week, I carry in an OWB holster (Alessi CQC); off duty with shorts I usually carry IWB in a FIST #1K ultrathin kydex.

For my money, the G26 isn't "smaller" enough to make it worth giving up significant capacity, and putting up with decreased shootability.

Regards,

Kevin

Ak44
10-10-10, 20:34
Shoulder rigs have their time and place, but for me I have no need for it. There are better options out there IMO, I use an OWB for winter time. I layer during the winter...T shirt, hoody, and jacket. I wear my t shirt tucked in my jeans, hoody tucked in behind the sweat guard, and my jacket over the holster. You can conceal any size weapon, just gotta get the right holster and find what works for you.

M4Fundi
10-10-10, 21:47
You do need to figure out what your environment will allow. For example in MT everyone carries and no one cares, so concealing is easier and getting made is no big deal, but if you live in a metropolitan area where getting made will most likely result with a conversation with some LEOs then concealment needs to be more well thought out. I lived in the Rockies for years where the clothing choices were ideal for CCW, but in Austin, TX when its 109 degrees and you are surrounded daily with anti-gun libtards I need to be more aware of my concealment. I still carry a 5" gun, but choose my cover shirts for their ability to conceal. No thin white shirts. Patterned shirts help.

GotAmmo
10-10-10, 22:30
last winter I concealed a Springfield Armory XD45 Compact IWB under a hoodie or the occasional North Face windbreaker along with a spare mag.... never an issue with printing or showing provided I didnt reach for something on a high shelf

today I carried a G17 in an RCS Phantom OWB under a hoodie and again... no issues

I've been sporting a G27 lately and it was great for hot weather and wearing tshirt and shorts

jus to give you some ideas

Black Jeep
10-10-10, 23:03
I carry my Glock 23 (gen 3) IWB @ 7-8 o'clock (lefty) and it is easily concealed. My IWB holster allows me to adjust the cant, so the further back it goes the more extreme the cant. Also, I will often carry a 5" 1911 in an OWB leather holster covered only by a t-shirt and it disappears as well.

Personally, I'd spend a bit more and get a pistol that you can put your full trust in. Having shot the Kel-Tecs, I would pick my Glock everyday and twice on Sunday over them. You don't need a full size hand cannon and there are plenty of reliable sub-compact pistols out there that are much easier to conceal (I'd love to get a G27, but with a baby on the way it'll have to wait).

As others have noted, you just need to learn what setup works best for you. Print shirts will hide the pistol well, as do darker colors and cover garments. Don't bend over at the waist to pick stuff up. Sit up straight and pay attention to where you sit in a restaurant (I try to sit in a booth w/ my strong side to the wall). And don't fidget constantly with your rig - get a quality set up and it will stay in place.

Good luck with your purchases and carrying. May you never need to use your CCW.

CaracalUSA
10-10-10, 23:14
Take ALL of the above post to heart. It is very good advice!. In the end it all comes down to what works for you. You will eventually end up like the rest of us. Several carry pistols and a box full of different holsters for different occasions. Good Luck.

Iraqgunz
10-10-10, 23:50
One thing that is overlooked depending on method of carry is a good and proper belt. It will definitely help you by hold the holster tight to your waist and not allowing it to sag.

I live in AZ and wear shorts most of the time. I just throw on my XL North Face or Columbia Sportswear shirt, my belt and Kramer vertical speed scabbard in Horsehide and hit the road.

LHS
10-11-10, 00:53
One thing that is overlooked depending on method of carry is a good and proper belt. It will definitely help you by hold the holster tight to your waist and not allowing it to sag.

I live in AZ and wear shorts most of the time. I just throw on my XL North Face or Columbia Sportswear shirt, my belt and Kramer vertical speed scabbard in Horsehide and hit the road.

This. A good belt, good holster, good mag pouches (my mags actually print worse than my Beretta), and a good cover garment are all you need. Patterned shirts are better than solid colors, and I prefer IWB.

Will_Die_Trying
10-11-10, 02:05
I appreciate all the advise thus far.

With all the good advise, a new question has come up.

Do I have to have some sort of tactical belt to have a belt that with hold the gun well?

What belts, that wont make me look like i think im a suburban rambo, would you recommend?

My thoughts are G26/G19, and an OWB stationed at the 4 o'clock, On some kind of belt that can withstand the stress. Layer up for the cold weather and wear longer t-shirts when we get a warmer day.

Or am I still missing something?

EDIT: I have also thought about the Kahr pm9 but at $800-900 bucks, the word "ouch" comes to mind.

Iraqgunz
10-11-10, 02:47
I am currently using a OD green Wilderness Instructor belt with titamium buckle. I just prefer them over leather. However, not all leather belts are the same. I have a nice Hugo Boss dress belt, and it looks great. It's just not suitable for carrying.

One thing is that good gun belts aren't cheap. I can personally recommend this one http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=50&categoryID=2

or this one- http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp?ProductID=2091&CatalogID=254

My preference is for the Kramer because I like horsehide.

I appreciate all the advise thus far.

With all the good advise, a new question has come up.

Do I have to have some sort of tactical belt to have a belt that with hold the gun well?

What belts, that wont make me look like i think im a suburban rambo, would you recommend?

My thoughts are G26/G19, and an OWB stationed at the 4 o'clock, On some kind of belt that can withstand the stress. Layer up for the cold weather and wear longer t-shirts when we get a warmer day.

Or am I still missing something?

EDIT: I have also thought about the Kahr pm9 but at $800-900 bucks, the word "ouch" comes to mind.

Alpha Sierra
10-11-10, 04:24
To answer your question, no, you do not need a tactical belt to hold up a seriously heavy gun. IMO, true leather gunbelts are even better than synthetics at transfering the weight of the gun to your hips. Mine are from The Beltman and from A&G Custom Leather.

My question to you is this: why should the belt's looks matter? For your pistol to be truly concealed, you will wear untucked shirts with the front closed or buttoned up. Your belt, by definition, will also be concealed.

Here's me (not a big guy) concealing a full size M&P. Note the absence of tacticool kydex/nylon gear:

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC01148.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC01149.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp290/JRossy/guns/DSC01150.jpg

titsonritz
10-11-10, 04:40
One thing is that good gun belts aren't cheap. I can personally recommend this one http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=50&categoryID=2
My preference is for the Kramer because I like horsehide.

Kramer is a superior product thus the price tag. One of these belts and a Kramer #3 holster will easily and adequately conceal a Glock 19 under just a T-shirt. A belt specifically made to carry a gun is key to properly concealing a pistol. You can have the best holster in the world but if you slap it on a hunk of junk don’t expect it to get the job done. It is a system.

Another holster I highly recommend is the Dale Fricke Archangel AIWB holster, it will also easily conceal a Glock 19 without issue with a proper belt. A word of warning AIWB is not for everyone and should be fully understood before carrying in that mode.
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/archangelappendixcarryaiwbappendixinsidethewaistband.aspx

glockeyed
10-11-10, 06:08
for me i needed a thin gun. my setup is a cheap but stiff Dickie's work belt, and Milt Sparkes Summer special. with this setup i can carry, my Kahr K9, browning Hi Power, or any size 1911.

BrianS
10-11-10, 06:09
Another vote for G19 over G26 and another vote for Kramer Horsehide gunbelt and IWB #3 holster. If you buy nicer carry equipment to start off with you can stop worrying about it and start spending all your money on training and ammo.

oldtexan
10-11-10, 10:13
I have been carrying concealed off and on for a little over thirty years. I started out with a S&W N frame revolver with 6" barrel carried in a cheap shoulder holster under a suit jacket.

Now I carry a Glock 34 IWB in a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom on a Galco 1.75" leather belt, backed up by one or two S&W 642 revolvers in pocket holsters.

I'm retired now and typically wear cargo shorts/pants and a Hawaiian shirt over a tucked-in t-shirt. If it gets cold I swap shirts and add a sweater and or jacket. This system works regardless of clothing (except for my morning walks around the neighborhood in elastic waist shorts with no belt loops, but that's another story).

An IWB holster with attachment loops/clips located out to the sides of the holster( Raven Phantom, Comp Tac CTC, Milt Sparks VMAX II, etc) as opposed to loops/clips on top of the holster (ie Blade Tech IWB, etc)allow the gun and holster to have a very flat profile, even if it's a relatively wide gun like a Glock.

IMO the Glock 19 is much easier to shoot/run well than the G26 and not much harder to carry, especially if carried IWB. The G19 (at least 3rd gen and earlier, the jury is still out on the 4th gen) has world-class durability and reliability, handles like a full-size gun (unless you have huge hands) and conceals like a compact gun IMO. It's really in a sweet spot in terms of size IMO.

You mentioned the Kahr PM9. I have one and would recommend that you look at some of the other Kahrs instead(if you decide the Glock is just not right for you). The P9 is the same width and similar weight as the PM9 but has a half inch longer grip and slide (still smaller than a Glock 19 in all dimensions); it's easier to shoot than the PM9, and has a better reputation for reliability than the PM9. Lots of folks have great trouble-free PM9s; lots of other folks have reported trouble with them; I've had enough trouble through 2000 rds not to trust my PM9 for carry. The CW9 is an economy version of the P9, a still high quality gun (IMO) that runs about $450 in many places. Also if you can carry a slightly heavier but still small (about same size as the P9/CW9)gun the all-stainless Kahr K9 has a good reputation. It was the original Kahr and is durable and reliable as subcompacts guns go IMO.

I see a lot of variation in Kahr prices. It pays to shop around.

Also I'd look at the Walther PPS. It has similar width, weight, capacity, and size to a P9/CW9. It has a Glock-like trigger as opposed to the longer revolver-like trigger of the Kahrs. Prices seem competitive with Kahrs. The 9mm PPS is my wife's current carry/home defense gun.

Any of these guns would carry very easily in agood IWB holster. With IWB as opposed to OWB you never have to worry about your cover garment riding up and exposing the muzzle below the beltline. I also think IWB is more stable because the belt tension is pulling the gun and holster into you.

Hope this is useful to you.

kjdoski
10-11-10, 10:36
For belts, I've come to use only two - "The Beltman" 1.5" leather or the Wilderness "Frequent Flyer" 1.5". For the FF, and other Wilderness belts, I really like the polymer insert for stiffness.

WRT color, I prefer black, but a nice leather "cordovan" or "natural" looks nice as well. For nylon gear, I have "tactical" coyote brown and OD belts that were issued to me, the problem is you can't really wear them out in public with a tucked-in shirt without looking like a mall ninja...

Regards,

Kevin

Gombey
10-11-10, 11:24
This will be my first winter carrying concealed (had to OC last winter as I didn't have a permit yet) but I think I'll keep my current set up. HK45c in a Shaggy AIWB from custom carry concepts on a 5.11 or Beltman leather belt. I am a tall guy (6'4ish) so that may help with concealing my handgun.

As an aside, no one really noticed that I had a pistol displayed on my hip. So I'm sure no one will notice that you are printing a little.

Hope this helps mate.

Alpha Sierra
10-11-10, 11:44
For the FF, and other Wilderness belts, I really like the polymer insert for stiffness.

+1

The Wilderness belts with the stiffener are actually more comfortable since they do not need to be cinched as tightly to hold the handgun securely tucked in. Their significantly reduced flex achieves that.

skyugo
10-11-10, 11:46
wilderness tactical belts are nice. plus you can rappel out of a helicopter with it, if that ever comes up. (my life must be too boring for this feature :confused: )
i usually do a G19 in the winter and a G26 in the summer. the G26 is about the easiest gun to conceal ever. the super short grip never prints. I currently use a high noon mr softy for my G26, which is very comfortable but hard to reholster with. I have a kydex holster coming from atomic dog for that gun soon.

lately i've become enamored with the HK p7, which is just a little smaller than a G19, but not nearly as thick or blocky. mostly wearing that gun in a comptac neutral cant minotaur at 3 o clock. it is HEAVY though compared to a glock. I tend to like my gun between 2 and 3 o clock. doesn't stick out if you bend over, and it's decisively quicker to draw and easier to defend.

finally, if you go IWB-upsize your pants or lose 20 lbs or you're gonna be miserable :o

the raven phantom holster is nice because you can run it IWB or OWB. wait list is ridiculous right now though i believe.