PDA

View Full Version : Anybody carring concealed with a light?

1_click_off
10-11-10, 14:34
I am trying to decide what holster to get for my P30 and have narrowed it down to the crossbreed supertuck or the Raven Phantom. But when I was looking at the Phantom they offer a LC "Light Compatable" option. That just seems like it would make it a little too bulky for CC with a light. I have a Streamlight TLR-2s on my P30 now. Does anybody carry concealed with a light/laser combo? I would like to keep the light on it as this is my HD choice and would also like to carry it concealed.

Thanks

Xhado
10-11-10, 14:50
If you carry OWB, the light doesnt add much more. I find when going IWB the light adds too much pants printing.

oldtexan
10-11-10, 15:10
I am trying to decide what holster to get for my P30 and have narrowed it down to the crossbreed supertuck or the Raven Phantom. But when I was looking at the Phantom they offer a LC "Light Compatable" option. That just seems like it would make it a little too bulky for CC with a light. I have a Streamlight TLR-2s on my P30 now. Does anybody carry concealed with a light/laser combo? I would like to keep the light on it as this is my HD choice and would also like to carry it concealed.

Thanks

I typically carry a Glock 34 with Surefire X400 and DG-11 remote switch attached. It'a home defense and carry gun. This has been my standard carry setup for about two years. I figure that with my routine(rarely out at night), the light and laser are probably overkill for carry(but IMO good for home defense), but I'd rather just leave the whole unit together and carry it than constantly take the X400 off and put it back on.

I carry in a Raven Phantom worn as an IWB at about 3 o'clock. I use the standard Kydex clips to attach the holster to my belt. I've adjusted the Raven for about 15-20 degrees of cant.

I've carried guns with lights attached in Blade Tech IWB(with soft loops)and CompTac CTAC (with their standard clips)but the Raven is IMO better than the others. The BladeTech profile was thicker than the Raven or CompTac because of the location of the loops, and the Raven is more stable on the belt as an IWB than either the Blade Tech or CompTac. Because of the way the clips attach to the Raven it just doesn't move around, at least as an IWB; I haven't tried it as an OWB. I have three Ravens (all Light-compatibles) on hand and a fourth on order (this one for a G17 with no light). I've had no durability issues with any of these three brands, but I don't roll around on the ground while wearing them.

The G34 with X400 is objectively bulkier than a G34 without a light attached, but that additional slight bulkiness hasn't kept me from carrying it. My pants/shorts are pretty baggy too; that may help. I recommend this setup, but YMMV.

mugenr
10-11-10, 15:13
I carry a full size M&P 9 with Surefire x300 in a Raven Phantom LC daily.
I does not seem too bulky at all. The raven fits snuggly to the body which makes it comfortable and concealable. I also wear the Phantom LC OWB.

Actually, there was a corner on the Phantom holster that dug into my leg when I sat down due to me wearing the holster at 2-2:30. I just took a heat gun a flexed it out a bit and it solved the problem.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj59/SCATL/edc.jpg

DocGKR
10-11-10, 15:25
I've had no problems running a G19-X300 in a IWB Raven Phantom holster set for no cant/vertical drop and carried at 3 o'clock, as well as in various OWB holsters. Next year I am scheduled to switch from 1911's to the M&P and will likely be carrying an M&P45-x300 in a custom Dale Fricke IWB Seraphim holster also with no cant at 3 o'clock, in addition to several OWB holsters.

Reddevil
10-11-10, 15:33
I sometimes carry my P2000 w/TLR-1 in a Phantom for work, but wouldn't dream of carrying it w/TLR off duty. It's bulky and harder to conceal. I'm not concerned about concealment at work, just covering it up. Lot of guys do it, but I carry AIWB off duty and a light setup wouldn't work for me anyways. If you can pull it off, more power to you and no holster will conceal it better IMO than the Phantom.

Joeywhat
10-11-10, 15:59
I run a full size M&P with TLR-1 in a Raven and have zero issues carrying OWB or IWB. It's really not much larger then without the light.

denn1911
10-11-10, 16:10
Helpful information above. I haven't carried with an attached flashlight but have been seriously considering it. I've narrowed my holster search to a Raven OWB without a cant at the 9pm position (Lefty). I'm torn between an x300 or an x400 for my Glock 19.

citadelshooter
10-11-10, 16:21
I've had no problems running a G19-X300 in a IWB Raven Phantom holster set for no cant/vertical drop and carried at 3 o'clock, as well as in various OWB holsters. Next year I am scheduled to switch from 1911's to the M&P and will likely be carrying an M&P45-x300 in a custom Dale Fricke IWB Seraphim holster also with no cant at 3 o'clock, in addition to several OWB holsters.

Doc, why are you switching from 1911's to the M&P? Maintenance or just for something different. And you are the man if you can carry at 3 o'clock IWB. My hip bone can't handle that, I have to go at least 4 o'clock.

To all,
I have been running a G19 also, but with an older Streamlight M3 as my X200B stays on my 1911 fulltime. No problems OWB, but IWB is a B****!

willowofwisp
10-11-10, 17:03
I carried my m&p 9 +x300 in a raven phantom over the summer several times and honestly i didn't notice any difference really between having and not having the light attached, the weight difference is negligible and holster really isn't any bigger (at least with raven).

1_click_off
10-11-10, 18:37
Okay, looks like I will try the Phantom LC, what are you using for the eclipse attachments for IWB carry. I have an over the belt and a J-hook on my current crossbreed for my PM45. I was looking at the C-clips or the over the belt clips. Not sold on the soft loops.

GLOCKMASTER
10-11-10, 18:47
Please take the time to do a little research. This has been discussed somewhere in the pages of this forum.