PDA

View Full Version : If you had to bug out on foot...

MattNificent
10-11-10, 16:13
TEOTAWKI situation, your house is gonna get destroyed(natural disaster, nuked, etc.) you have to carry what you take and whatever you take is all you have besides what you find along the way...what all do you take?

Huntindoc
10-11-10, 17:07
Rig pull trailer to bike and ride like hell. Oldest and second oldest in pull trailer. Youngest two in Kid trailer attached to my wife's bike. And by the way, the oldest is armed with an AR. She is a dead aim. In the trailer is our BUG out BAG. Has basically the 10 essentials plus water purification stuff, shelters, Emerg Radio. etc.

jklaughrey
10-11-10, 19:41
Nuke, forget it, I can't run fast enough to escape safely. Natural disaster really depends on location, but there are some things you won't be able to outrun with a limited amount of warning. I guess plan to get out to a "safe area" with your BOB, and weapon, cash, small barter items(gold, jewels, etc...) there will always be those who value money over needed supplies.

If I can't outrun the disaster I will pour a scotch and light a cigar and make sure I have a good view, or spend time with loved ones if they are with me.

GTF425
10-11-10, 19:49
1qt canten with cup, 1lb of beef jerkey, ~200ft of 550 cord, multitool, Bic lighter, and a compass. If I have a little extra time, then an extra pair of socks, two pairs of gloves...one thick leather pair and a lighter, polypro type, and a watch cap.

I would try to stay as light as possible and keep everything so that it could be carried on me at all times without any kind of bag. If SHTF, I don't know how much time I'd have to react, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

mikeross506
10-11-10, 20:26
IMHO, I'm going to pack the essentials- small survival kit. Water purifier. small first aid. firearm. handful of high calorie protein bars and a fresh pair of socks.

These can sustain me for a rather lengthy period of time and since I am in an Urban environment, I can scavenge virtually anything I need on my way. This allows me freedom of movement and speed. Very important factors in an E&E scenario (particularly if hostiles are in the area) Urban areas of operation are rich in supplies if a person has a knowledge of how to secure them. Basic lockpicking will go a long way. I'd rather spend 10 minutes poking my head into an abandoned kitchen than carry the weight of a 7 day food and water supply.

MattNificent
10-11-10, 21:31
Rig pull trailer to bike and ride like hell. Oldest and second oldest in pull trailer. Youngest two in Kid trailer attached to my wife's bike. And by the way, the oldest is armed with an AR. She is a dead aim. In the trailer is our BUG out BAG. Has basically the 10 essentials plus water purification stuff, shelters, Emerg Radio. etc.

only the one AR that your oldest has?? its going to be hell bugging out with 4 kids on bikes and trailers(not knocking your plan, just saying)...

Nuke, forget it, I can't run fast enough to escape safely. Natural disaster really depends on location, but there are some things you won't be able to outrun with a limited amount of warning. I guess plan to get out to a "safe area" with your BOB, and weapon, cash, small barter items(gold, jewels, etc...) there will always be those who value money over needed supplies.

If I can't outrun the disaster I will pour a scotch and light a cigar and make sure I have a good view, or spend time with loved ones if they are with me.

lets say you do make it out...what kind of weapon/s?

1qt canten with cup, 1lb of beef jerkey, ~200ft of 550 cord, multitool, Bic lighter, and a compass. If I have a little extra time, then an extra pair of socks, two pairs of gloves...one thick leather pair and a lighter, polypro type, and a watch cap.

I would try to stay as light as possible and keep everything so that it could be carried on me at all times without any kind of bag. If SHTF, I don't know how much time I'd have to react, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

this would probably be my strategy, have a way to carry/purify water, and make fire(which can purify)..would you have a weapon?

IMHO, I'm going to pack the essentials- small survival kit. Water purifier. small first aid. firearm. handful of high calorie protein bars and a fresh pair of socks.

These can sustain me for a rather lengthy period of time and since I am in an Urban environment, I can scavenge virtually anything I need on my way. This allows me freedom of movement and speed. Very important factors in an E&E scenario (particularly if hostiles are in the area) Urban areas of operation are rich in supplies if a person has a knowledge of how to secure them. Basic lockpicking will go a long way. I'd rather spend 10 minutes poking my head into an abandoned kitchen than carry the weight of a 7 day food and water supply.

i have a couple lock pick sets and practice...what kind of weapon would you have?

to all of you, how many mags/ammo would you take? assuming if you cant find any more, itll be all you have...

mikeross506
10-11-10, 22:44
That would depend on how imminent the danger was. If it was a normal natural disaster situation I would have my XD and 6 mags or so. If it is a more lethal atmosphere or there are bands of looters in the area I would have my M4 slung along with my battle vest and a full combat load....250 rounds.....

HES
10-11-10, 22:56
Rig pull trailer to bike and ride like hell.
Interesting that you say that. Recently the wife and I have been looking at bicycle towable trailers and other solutions. We have found what appear to be some great saddle bags for bicycles. We believe that with the right trailer and bags and packs we should be able to live for a few weeks on the road Vs. 5 or so days of humping with everything on our backs.

In the mean time I just grab the rucks and old LBEs that stay packed (clothing, spare boots, food, medicine, etc..) put in some extra ammo grab the firearms and we are on our way. I figure we will have a 5 day supply of food and then we will be screwed and need to look for other food sources. Food is the prime limiting factor. OUr next one would be the kids, ages 12 and 10. They have their own packs as well and are very experienced with camping and hiking and have their own .22s, but they can only move so far, so fast.

GTF425
10-11-10, 23:10
this would probably be my strategy, have a way to carry/purify water, and make fire(which can purify)..would you have a weapon?

Cliche NCO quote time:

Your mind is your strongest weapon.

If the time came where I had to E&E, being armed would be something I would handle after I've made enough of a separation from myself and whatever it is that's causing me to have to leave my home in such a rush. If this is an "End of the World" kind of thing, then you don't have to be the toughest cat on the block...just tougher than atleast one other person who has what you need.

Black Jeep
10-12-10, 01:18
If I'm buggin' out on foot then it means I've run out of everything at home and from nearby scrounging sources and I'm forced to live on the lam. By that point we are well into a post-apocalyptic world. If that is the case, I'm grabbing my backpacking gear that is designed to be efficient and light weight. My pack list would include:

stove w/ multi-fuel canister, titanium cookware set, tent/tarp, sleeping bag, a change of clothes and multiple pairs of underwear and socks, small fishing kit, essentials - food, water & the means to purify more, FAK, medications

My wife and I would split weights a lot when we were backpacking a lot. One person might carry the "kitchen" while the other would carry the tent and we would divide the food and water load. It makes going a lot easier.

As far as guns go, I would also grab my Glock 23 with a couple of spare mags and my M4 with about four or five mags.

The most essential thing I would have is a destination in mind, which would be determined by the scope of the situation. That would largely determine how much of that crap I'd tote around or what I'd leave behind.

motorwerks
10-12-10, 11:03
yeah I'm pretty much buggin in these days. With 2 Toddlers I wouldn't make it far. My place is pretty stocked up on guns and ammo though. :p

rat31465
10-12-10, 11:29
Note...This would be my last choice as I believe in Bugging In to be my best option...Should circumstances require a move via foot......then it means all other options have been lost.

My final destination use to be my Parents home in the boonies of North Central Arkansas...even though both my Mother and Father have recently passed on...One of my Brothers lives there still...We have many resources staged there...a very deeply drilled well, many acres to hunt and a Lake within 2 miles of the homestead.

I would portage my canoe an Old Towne Discovery 174...1 1/2 miles due east of my current home here in Springfield to the Finley River. It would take at least two trips, one for the canoe and a second for supplies and the family.
It would be a short hop down to the dam at Springfield lake where a short portage of a couple hundred yards would get us on the James River. I have fished and floated nearly every inch of this river from Springfield down to where it pours into Table Rock Lake at McCords Bend...I figure this could be done in two full days on the water.

Seeing as how we speak of EOTWAWKI scenarios...I would make every effort to locate and acquire a second canoe or smaller boat with a motor/fuel along the way as I would always be looking to improve my situation. Both my girls have spent many days on the water floating and fishing...you would be hard pressed to find boys or men their age who could do any better.

Having Friends and Family who live at McCords Bend I would check in with them..(If possible) for news and possible supplies. Before starting the long paddle from McCord's Bend to the Table Rock Dam at Branson...perhaps another 3-5 days
Again, I have fished this lake alot as a child...and know a good portion of it and also I have a good map for reference.
After Portaging Table Rock Dam...we would be on Lake Taneycomo for another day. Lake Taneycomo has some of the best trout fishing in Lower Missouri.
There would be one more short portage occuring around Forsyth Missouri over the Powersite Dam...Which would be less than 50 yards and then we would be on the upper arm of the White river which would carry us onto Bull Shoals Lake near my Mothers Family home and the area in which I was raised as a child on the Cedar Creek arm.
I figure about three more days and we would be able to beach the canoe in an out of the way cove that is less than 2 miles up away from our final destination.
I figure that 8-10 days on the water in a canoe/boat would expend less energy and resources than a hike of nearly 80 miles cross country with the wife, two daughters and two young Grandsons
Fresh water availablity the entire way...The ability to catch fish and passively hunt small game from the boat for a good portion of the way...makes this an appealing option for my current needs...and where I would concentrate my efforts to survive and make my stand.
Should the need arise, then again as was once the most efficent ways to travel..we could escape to the water and continue further south to warmer climates.

NavyDavy55
10-12-10, 11:50
I'm 55 years old, have arthritis, and coincidently am 55 pounds overweight. I am actively working on the weight problem. :)

If I gotta bug out on foot, things are really really really bad.

1) Meds, gotta have them.
2) BCM upper, Aero Precision lower Middy AR15.
3) 8 PMAGS fully loaded.
4) Warm Camoflauge clothing, extra socks, foot powder.
5) Camel Back and water purification tablets.
6) MRE's.
7) Flashlight.
8) Waterproof matches.
9) Waterproof tarp.
10) Pocket Fishing kit.
11) Kabar fighting knife.
12) SIG P220 and two extra mags.
13) Long burning candles.
14) Magnesium fire starting kit.
15) Toilet paper folded flat.
16) Moist sealed hand wipes.
17) Binoculars.
18) Otis cleaning kit.
19) Basic First aid kit.
20) Protein bars.
21) Multitool.
22) 550 Parachute Cord.
23) Extra ammo.
24) Beef Jerky.
25) Toothbrush.
26) Fingernail clipper.
27) Mess kit.
28) Non-electric can opener.
29) Compass
30) Aluminum foil.
31) Sunglasses.
32) Sleeping bag.
33) Soap.
34) Plastic sandwich bags.
35) Towel.

What I don't have is a specific destination.

huklbrry
10-12-10, 11:54

While aBic might be a viable tertiary fire source, a Strikeforce with some Wetfire is 100% surefire. With that and your ss canteen you can make char cloth for your next fire.

RiggerGod
10-15-10, 22:29
The specifics of the question would have to be a little more defined for me to give a truly accurate answer. Much like rat31465's idea of canoeing to a more tenable position, I have often thought that borrowing a sail boat would be a good plan. Smaller (20-25’) if I’m by myself I'm sure there will be someone out there who doesn’t need his anymore and we will. Given the nature of much of the sailing community (broad strokes but older and med dependant) I feel that this is a fair bet and a pretty good idea. Of course it would have to be a REAL SHTF situation!

drrufo
10-16-10, 05:03
I have been watching several auctions on Ebay that have some sort of cart. One is for a fishing cart with waterproof wheels and storage.

They would work well on a paved road or in sand so they might be workable with a chest harness. They are a little more expensive than I would want to pay so I might have to save my lunch money for a week or three.

mikeross506
10-16-10, 11:00
It seems that everyone wants to take their entire house with them in a bug out. Here it is straight forward: If you are bugging out, shit has went real bad. Meaning that you need to get out fast. You are not going to be able to travel fast carrying a 100 lb ruck OR pulling a trailer behind your bike OR pushing some cart down the road! Your safety should be your primary concern. Not all of the creature comforts that you have shoved into a 5000 cubic inch ruck!

This is not to say that there aren't some necessities. It's to say that the mountain of gear you've stock piled in your garage from surplus stores across the globe is far less practical than you hope. How are you going to survive without your dual chamber, multi fuel, wind proof, stainless cook stove? And the three bottles of propane you packed with it? Simple. Eat you damn food cold! Not to mention the 3 cases of MRE's you're trying to pack, too. Suck it up and move out. You aren't going to make it 3 miles before you realize just how much that closet on your back is breaking you off and burning through your VERY valuable calories.

Save all that "Survival" gear for when you take the kids camping. In a real life situation, speed is your greatest asset. The faster your secure yourself from the hostile zone and to a safe zone the less time you remain exposed and venerable. Additionally, it is a million times easier to seek cover with a small assualt/backpack than it is with a 5 day pack.

Sit yourself down and look over your pack list. Ask what is crucial to my survival and what simply allows me to survive in comfort. To me surviving the trip to the safe zone and doing so quickly is alot more important than having a tent with portable toilet and propane heater....

Exodus11
10-19-10, 14:36
agreed with mikeross506 ...

i have a tac vest with some molle attachments on it, a 2 day assault bag, handgun, and some ESSENTIAL items (powerbars, mre's, water, TP, lighter...etc)

in the case of gettin the h#ll out of dodge...this stuff is ready to go...just pick up and run!

Huntindoc
10-23-10, 20:54
Oh, I guess I didn't mention that myself and my wife are both armed as well. Both with rifles and handguns.

I do have quite a bit of primitive backpacking experience and my pack is well balanced between weight and supplies.

Redneck19
10-28-10, 11:51
Probably snatch up my BOB and rifle.

One issue I'm dealing with is: How to carry enough ammo?

I would consider myself in pretty good shape but there is no way I'm going to be able to carry 1k rounds for the primary.

Exodus11
10-28-10, 13:07
TEOTWAWKI situation would probably call for 1k worth of ammo and carrying it would be a task for sure!

SHTF situation MAY merit 1k worth of ammo but in this situation i would think having a tactical supply (mil loadout 6+1, say 30rd mag's) would be 210 including what you have in your weapon.

i guess it would also depend on what size round your carrying, a .308 would definately be more than a .223/5.56 load.

~BUT~

in any scenario, if you had to bug out on foot, im sure the initial 'adrenaline' hit would allow you to carry whatever you needed to get the h#ll out of dodge...just my .02

mikeross506
10-28-10, 17:33
While adrenaline will allow buildings to be leaped, it only lasts for a very brief moment of time. And once it is gone, things become chaotic and exhausting VERY quick.

RogerinTPA
10-28-10, 21:58
For me it would be to E&E on foot to acquire alternate means of transportation. A few miles at most. On foot you have very little chance. Even a trail bicycle would up your chances and increase distance traveled without over exertion and depleting your very limited resources. A motorcycle would be my next trade up....and so on.

ggee87
11-01-10, 19:36
I've been cruising the forums for quite some time, decided to finally get a membership and post on this topic. Weight, speed and self defense are critical. I live in a city of roughly 70,000 people, so hopefully it will be easy enough to get out of the city. Most of my travel will be done at night if at all possible, especially if traveling on foot.

My list:

1) BCM M4
2) My BOB which includes:
a) Extra change of warm clothing
b) Very basic rifle cleaning supplies
c) Protein bars and 2 MRE's
d) MOLLE attached EMT-B kit minus O2 supplies
e) Leatherman tool
f) 2 extra 20oz water bottles
g) 200-500 rounds of ammunition
g) Multiple lighters and sets of matches for water purification and other things.
3) Camel back water supply
4) Chest rig with 8 magazines
5) Basic Night Vision headset if I can acquire one in time.

The whole pack plus the rifle comes in under 50lbs. Fortunately for me my job requires me to carry around between 50-100lbs of gear in a very hostile work environment. (Fire Fighter) So carrying around a 50lb pack, gun and chest rig for a few hours at a time can be accomplished.

The Plan w/ Vehicle
Head 20 miles north to my fire station to retrieve more basic supplies and possibly rest for a short period of while trying to make contact with the rest of my group. From there head 45 miles west to my cabin in a very small town where we have access to hunting and fishing areas and more supplies. Also if a vehicle is available more supplies such as medical, food and weapons will be making the trip. Trip will take less than 2.5 hours total.

The Plan wo/ Vehicle
Head directly west for 45 miles to previously mentioned cabin. Trip should take 25-30 hours of travel time spread out over 2 to 5 days depending on time of year.

mikeross506
11-02-10, 22:21
I've been cruising the forums for quite some time, decided to finally get a membership and post on this topic. Weight, speed and self defense are critical. I live in a city of roughly 70,000 people, so hopefully it will be easy enough to get out of the city. Most of my travel will be done at night if at all possible, especially if traveling on foot.

My list:

1) BCM M4
2) My BOB which includes:
a) Extra change of warm clothing
b) Very basic rifle cleaning supplies
c) Protein bars and 2 MRE's
d) MOLLE attached EMT-B kit minus O2 supplies
e) Leatherman tool
f) 2 extra 20oz water bottles
g) 200-500 rounds of ammunition
g) Multiple lighters and sets of matches for water purification and other things.
3) Camel back water supply
4) Chest rig with 8 magazines
5) Basic Night Vision headset if I can acquire one in time.

The whole pack plus the rifle comes in under 50lbs. Fortunately for me my job requires me to carry around between 50-100lbs of gear in a very hostile work environment. (Fire Fighter) So carrying around a 50lb pack, gun and chest rig for a few hours at a time can be accomplished.

The Plan w/ Vehicle
Head 20 miles north to my fire station to retrieve more basic supplies and possibly rest for a short period of while trying to make contact with the rest of my group. From there head 45 miles west to my cabin in a very small town where we have access to hunting and fishing areas and more supplies. Also if a vehicle is available more supplies such as medical, food and weapons will be making the trip. Trip will take less than 2.5 hours total.

The Plan wo/ Vehicle
Head directly west for 45 miles to previously mentioned cabin. Trip should take 25-30 hours of travel time spread out over 2 to 5 days depending on time of year.

I agree 100% with your plan. And having alternative routes and plans can be key to survival. No plan survives the first shots!

BenBru
11-02-10, 23:59
My plan is to head into the Rockies. I'd grab a friend, travel at night, and operate exactly the way I do on an OP.... quiet, observing, non-confrontational.... let someone else deal with it. I've spent a lot of time fishing the Canejos(parts are Gold Medal waters) down in Southern Colorado, and working my way through the Pike National Forest on foot. I'm sure there's enough empty hunting cabins and vacation homes and things and places that I could hole up in.

If I can somehow make my way to a vehicle I'd make my way down to the San Juan wilderness area. It'll have plenty of proximity to the San Luis valley. Plenty of eating in the trout streams, plenty of agriculture in the valley, plenty of Elk and Pronghorn.

As far as weapons and supplies... Well I hate to say it but I'd carry the AK as primary, my Glock 19 on my thigh... 1k rounds is about 30lbs in 7.62... probably only take about 500 of 9mm.

I'd take 6 Days worth of MREs(12meals) and field strip them. Take meals out of boxes, ditch the little packets of random crap, lose any and everything I know I won't eat(a lot of the crappucino drinks, keep the instant coffee powders to stay awake) plus the shakes, and heaters. It cuts down on a lot of weight, a lot of trash, and a lot of space. Yeah it's not as delicious, if it's super cold take the meal and put it in your pants for an hour before you eat, you'll live. MREs can pack down to about half their size if you lose all the unnecessary crap.

Then I would split the other stuff... FAK, tent, share a sleep system(tried and true practice.... always go second the bags already warm), carry a good amount of Clorox Bleach(works very well for water purification 8 drops per gallon wait 30minutes to consume).

Looking at about 60-70lbs pack. I know I can do more than 12miles in less than 4 hours carrying 45lbs(MARSOC screening hike)... I'd venture to say I could do at least 20miles a day with a 60lbs pack. Plus walking is for schmucks....

I'd hike and hike and hike... It's about 160-170 miles to where I'd want to settle down. It's nice and out of harms way... small former mining towns all over the place, plenty of horse farms on the way (I'm not condoning stealing a horse, but if it's TEOTWAWKI I'm sure I could bend, plus it'd be good eating if things get rough).

But, Murphy is always looking to screw that plan up...

ggee87
11-04-10, 15:28
I agree 100% with your plan. And having alternative routes and plans can be key to survival. No plan survives the first shots!

I've put a lot of time into planning this, simply for the fact that no plan ever survives first contact. I've gone of the routes in person and viewed aerial photographs via google earth.

D Golden
11-04-10, 16:20
If i have to bug out on foot it would probably be because iv`e been overrun. My home is my castle, and well defended. In 2005, folks tried to run from hurricanes and all that happened is that they were stuck on the highway in gridlock, untill they ran out of gas. You can`t outrun nuclear fallout, it will get to all of us eventually,even if you have a bunker underground with the latest in air scrubber technology. When you run you are the nomad, the one guys like me are watching for. I realize that it`s good sense to have a plan for this and every other situation that one can imagine, i would probably go with what i was fighting with; rifle, 7mags., pistol, knife. Honestly i`ll "go down with the ship".