PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Assault Weapon Laws

doomfromheaven
10-11-10, 16:24
Hi, I was just wondering about the Assault Weapon laws here in Maryland. I've been looking at the laws, and I am having a hard time understanding which laws apply to which weapon (as they like referring to handguns and assault weapons in the same sentence and sometimes not). So I was just wondering, do I HAVE to be 21 to possess an assault weapon? Or can I be in the middle ground of 18-20 and just have someone else buy it for me and transfer?

Thanks,
Doom

Ak44
10-11-10, 17:21
General rule of thumb...if it's cool it's regulated. If it's regulated you have to be 21. At 18 I think you can get away with an HBAR AR-15, Sig 556, and FN Scar (maybe but not sure).

doomfromheaven
10-11-10, 18:31
Hm, I see. I've been looking into a DPMS Classic, and I don't really want to look too, too deep into it if I can't get it yet... :P

GermanSynergy
10-11-10, 19:02
Maryland has no AWB. Flash hiders, bayonet lugs, collapsable stocks and the rest of it are ok here.

Class III is legal in Maryland.

Any magazine over 20 rounds cannot be transferred, sold or otherwise given to another person in the state. Possession is not illegal, and many folks buy their mags out of state and bring them back.

Certain pistols are banned by name, and there is a handgun roster which stipulates which handguns are legal for sale in Maryland.

This roster does not apply to any handgun manufactured prior to 01 January 1985. (Try telling some dealers that :rolleyes: )

You must be 21 to legally possess a Regulated Firearm, and the sale / transfer of said weapons are subject to a 7 day waiting period, as well as MSP paperwork.

An individual may not legally take possession of more than 1 Regulated Firearm in a 30 day period. You can apply for Collector Status with the MSP and have this waived.

Transportation regs for handguns and certain other weapons are strict.

MD CCW permits are not easy to get for the rank and file person.

All in all, it's not ideal but it's not NY, NJ or MA either.

IANAL/TINLA

motorwerks
10-11-10, 22:56
wow you guys are just about as screwed as we are in CA

Ak44
10-11-10, 23:06
wow you guys are just about as screwed as we are in CA

I'd rather live in MD than Cali :sarcastic:

GermanSynergy
10-11-10, 23:18
I can legally own an MG, SBR and suppressor in Maryland, as well as buy an AR in any configuration I like.

Can't really say the same about Cali.....:p

doomfromheaven
10-12-10, 00:19
Thank you very much for all of the information, German!

BoringGuy45
06-03-11, 23:04
Resurrecting this thread:

Question about the Maryland handgun register. Does that apply to possession or to transfer? What I mean is, in Mass, for example, if you owned a gun that's not on the list before moving there, it's not a problem. Just once you get there, you can't buy one because dealers are prohibited from selling it. Is it that way in MD, or if you have a gun that's not on the list, do you have to get rid of it prior to moving to the state?

motorwerks
06-04-11, 01:05
I can legally own an MG, SBR and suppressor in Maryland, as well as buy an AR in any configuration I like.

Can't really say the same about Cali.....:p

Well sort of..... I just cant drop a magazine with out a tool of some sort.

GermanSynergy
06-21-11, 23:31
Bear in mind there are 2 "lists" for Maryland.

One is maintained by the MDSP, which indicates which handguns are legal for sale in Maryland, located HERE. (http://www.mdsp.org/services/handgun.asp)

Bear in mind that this list only applies to handguns manufactured prior to 1/1/1985 (some dealers may not know this).

Regarding possession of handguns not on the roster, I'm unsure if possession if legal, but the handgun cannot be sold or transferred if you relocate to Maryland.

The second list pertains to specifically BANNED "assault pistols". You cannot buy, sell,transfer, possess or bring them into Maryland. More info HERE (http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm)

IANAL/TINLA

Resurrecting this thread:

Question about the Maryland handgun register. Does that apply to possession or to transfer? What I mean is, in Mass, for example, if you owned a gun that's not on the list before moving there, it's not a problem. Just once you get there, you can't buy one because dealers are prohibited from selling it. Is it that way in MD, or if you have a gun that's not on the list, do you have to get rid of it prior to moving to the state?