PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on SKS

johnson601
07-19-07, 12:49
I have an old SKS that I would like to rebuild. My problem is that I cannot find a good place to find parts. I would think that this will not be a costly task. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.:confused:

johnson601
07-20-07, 11:53
Guess I am not the only one.....

sproc
07-20-07, 12:40
I quick google shows lots of places selling SKS parts, but I'm assuming you've done that already. What did you find lacking in those places (sksparts.com, etc.)? Any specific parts you need?

johnson601
07-20-07, 13:04
Just looking for some info on sites others had used. The main problem is that I dont know much about sks brand names or quality ect.

sproc
07-20-07, 15:40
There aren't many internal SKS parts produced in the US (stocks and stuff: yes; bolts and trigger groups: no). I would assume that most foreign SKS parts are made by the same folks who made the rifles; I've not heard of a non-OEM market for SKS parts. Then again, I'm no expert on SKSs; I'm an AR guy.

If you're looking for furniture, check out tapco, brownells, midwayusa, etc. Just be aware that things like folding stocks, detachable mags, bayonets, etc. cannot be added to most SKSs without violating federal law. If you want to add such parts, you'll need to swap out enough foreign-made parts so that it qualifies as US-made. Info here: http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html.

There -- I've totally exhausted my SKS knowledge. :)