PDA

View Full Version : New Beretta 92A1

ShipWreck
10-11-10, 20:26
I went and got my 92A1 out of jail - I mean lay-a-way. It's the newest railed model Beretta just released about 2-3 months ago. It has a dovetailed front sight, a recoil buffer, and a rail with a curved trigger guard. Gun is very nice and is made in Italy.

I cleaned the gun prior to the first shooting, and put Hogue grip panels on it...

Gun shot great. 100% reliable. I put 150 rounds thru it.

The rear sight is too far to the right, by just a hair. I brought my 90-Two to compare, and I shot that one dead center. So, I know it's not me. You can barely tell that the rear sight is just barely not centered.

This weekend, I'll take it to a local smith and have them fix it for me I think.

Anyway - here is a pic of the set now :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Beretta-set1.jpg

Here is a close up of the new gun :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92A1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92a1-00.jpg

theblackknight
10-11-10, 20:33
Why does Beretta insist on machining vertical grooves on the front strap?

If your gonna waste the extra key strokes to machine anything, why not be horizontal to counteract recoil?

ShipWreck
10-11-10, 20:36
Why does Beretta insist on machining vertical grooves on the front strap?

If your gonna waste the extra key strokes to machine anything, why not be horizontal to counteract recoil?

They have "checkering" on the M9A1 (I have 2 of those). The checkering isn't "sharp" however (it's not very deep) - I find that I prefer the regular serrations to their checkering - They "stick" better than the checkering Beretta does on some of their frames... Just my opinion - others may disagree.

I have had a Springfield in the 1990s with factory serrations. They were deeper than Berettas - but I find that that too stuck more than 25 LIp checkering...

loupav
10-11-10, 21:03
Nice looking pistol Shipwreck!

sff70
10-11-10, 23:10
I don't think they can cut checkering in the frontstrap deep enough to do much good.

Skate tape is cheap and effective, though.

Cobra66
10-11-10, 23:58
Shipwreck, can you fill me in on the differences between the M9A1 and the 92A1?

From what I am gathering it is a dove tailed front sight and the old 92FS type grip checkering? The M9A1 has the regular M9 integrated front sight correct?

Does is still have the standard complement of plastic parts?

If you had to choose between a 92A1 and an M9A1 which would you go with? Why?

I have to admit I am getting a bit of rail envy (event though I have a streamlight adapter on my primary HD pistol.)

ShipWreck
10-12-10, 06:35
Shipwreck, can you fill me in on the differences between the M9A1 and the 92A1?

From what I am gathering it is a dove tailed front sight and the old 92FS type grip checkering? The M9A1 has the regular M9 integrated front sight correct?

Does is still have the standard complement of plastic parts?

If you had to choose between a 92A1 and an M9A1 which would you go with? Why?

I have to admit I am getting a bit of rail envy (event though I have a streamlight adapter on my primary HD pistol.)

The new 92A1 is essentially a 90-Two, but without the radical look and with a standard grip. It has an internal recoil buffer, dovetailed front sight and a curved trigger guard over the square one.

Last night - I held both 1 handed, with a loaded mag... Just to see how it balanced.

So far, I've found that the 92FS balanced better than the M9A1. I'm not 100% sure if it is the extra forward weight of the rail, or a combo of that and the checkering (I prefer the standard serrations).

When I compare the 92A1 and M9A1 - I think the 92A1 balances better 1 handed. So, I'd have to say that I prefer that one just a tiny, tiny bit.

I do a lot of 1 handed practice shooting, because in a real self defense situation, that is a likelyhood. So, the feel of the gun when held 1 handed is important to me.

The 92A1 feels almost as balanced as my regular 92FS. So, great gun!

Alex V
10-12-10, 10:27
Nice handgun!

I always like Beretta and LOVE my 90-Two .40. Especialy the contemporary styling lol

It is a bit on th heavy side and for a while I was unable to be accurate with it at all. But I have stippled the grip and found that having a more positive handle on the gun has made my shooting it A LOT more accurate.

This looks like a middle step between the M9 and the 90-Two. I like it a lot.

Cobra66
10-12-10, 11:26
Shipwreck, another question -

How do the new railed Berettas fit in 92FS/M9 holsters? My 92 w/ rail mount will fit is some but not in others, but it is definitely wider around the trigger than a pistol with a rail integral with the frame. What holsters do you use and have you tried? :confused:

ShipWreck
10-12-10, 11:50
Shipwreck, another question -

How do the new railed Berettas fit in 92FS/M9 holsters? My 92 w/ rail mount will fit is some but not in others, but it is definitely wider around the trigger than a pistol with a rail integral with the frame. What holsters do you use and have you tried? :confused:

Well, I have two M9A1s - one is a safe queen and range toy - and the other is carried sometimes.

For that gun, I bought a Vertec holster. It's a hard polymer comptac holster. I had to get a Vertec holster for it to fit.

I have not tried holstering the 90-Two or the 92A1. There are some differences in the trigger guard - so I do not know if it will fit in a vertec holster (since those two guns have a curved trigger guard).

Mr. Goodtimes
10-12-10, 13:31
Nice gun ShipWreck. I think beretta builds a quality firearm, I just wish they would move the location of that safety. The safety location and lack of ability to replace factory sights with night sights is why I sold my 92FS.

I had a lot of trouble with accidently activating the safety on my Beretta. It was a very accurate pistol, though, and dead nuts reliable. I put about 3k rounds of all sorts of ammo from crappy blazer brass to Winchester Ranger 147gr through it with out one single malfunction of any sort.

ShipWreck
10-12-10, 14:14
Nice gun ShipWreck. I think beretta builds a quality firearm, I just wish they would move the location of that safety. The safety location and lack of ability to replace factory sights with night sights is why I sold my 92FS.

I had a lot of trouble with accidently activating the safety on my Beretta. It was a very accurate pistol, though, and dead nuts reliable. I put about 3k rounds of all sorts of ammo from crappy blazer brass to Winchester Ranger 147gr through it with out one single malfunction of any sort.

I used to prefer frame mounted safeties, and i do like 1911s. However, I have owned a few USP's over the years - and I never carried the gun cocked and locked. Unless I was just shooting SA at the range, I left it to have the 1st shot in DA.

After that time - since I didn't do cocked and locked on the DA/SA guns - I didn't really care about the frame safety all that much anymore.

I only use the safety as a decocker - so the slide mounted safety doesn't matter much to me anymore.

As for night sights - one can send the slide off to tool tech, and they will drill the front sight - that's what they do for factory night sights. But, I do understand it is a pain because that means you can't have them installed locally.

But, some 92 variants do have dovetailed front sights.

Cobra66
10-12-10, 15:11
Which brings up a question. What kind of pistol did Shipwreck shoot? I don't have my GI Joe data cards anymore so I forget :confused:

The 92 Series is probably my favorite handgun platform. I carried it for years and I have never had any issues operating the safety/decock lever. That said, I have witnessed soldiers who have accidentally turned the safety on when they drew. I understand where they are coming from, but at the same time - I think it was an unwillingness to spend the time needed with the M9, in inadequate training that got them into the situation the first time. Maybe peoples fingers and hands are different, but it has never been an issue for me to sweep the safety off when drawing the pistol (same goes for Smith 3rd Gens).

Today, my primary range/shooting pistol is a 92G Elite which does away with the safety issue all together. It is really the better option and I don't understand why Beretta doesn't target it at the civilian/and what few LE agencies still issue the 92 market. Maybe it is a fear of liability figuring that the more safeties on a pistol, the less chance they have of getting sued?

ShipWreck
10-12-10, 16:55
I have a few unopened Shipwreck figures at home :)

I'll look, but I don't think it's any actual gun - just a cartoon gun.

They were shooting laser guns in the cartoons...

Steve S.
10-13-10, 01:39

Not trying to call you a liar by any means, but I've heard this here and there over the years, and I just can't understand how one can engage the safety on the pistol. Do I like the safety on the 92 series? Not at all. But I've never had an issue accidently turning it on. I've had a hard time turning it off on a draw though.

Part of the problem is the location. The fact that fire is opposite of 1911s, I still don't mind that it flips up. But if they pushed it forward some, it would go great with a high tang grip. I've tried using the meat of my thumb just before the 2nd knuckle while on a high thumb grip to disengage it, but its just too clumsy. I much prefer keeping the safety off.

But my biggest issue with the safety is the lack of "condition 1" option. I recently handled a Taurus PT92 that a friend bought (against my strongest advice) and I found the ability to carry cocked and locked a great addition to the platform. The only downside is losing the decocker, but I would happily trade. Beretta should consider offering it as an option. It would complicate the manual of arms having 2 different types of safeties, but if one unknowingly had the other version, (the cocked n locked instead of the thought decocker) it would be immediately noticeable and not dangerous by anymeans.

Sorry to derail the thread, but I had to rant about the Beretta safety. I dislike it to the point that if my 96 didn't hold a special sentimental value (hence the username - its not cuz I'm a huge fan of the 96fs), I might have sold it long ago. Instead I just learned to keep the safety off when I choose to carry it and just train through the DA pull on the first shot.

Anyways, awesome looking pistol, Shipwreck. I've been itching to get my hands on an A1. The rail, sand resistant mags, proper trigger gaurd, and checkering are all most welcomed improvements on a wonderful platform.

Slater
10-13-10, 07:22
Will Beretta continue to market the 90Two or phase it out in favor of the 92A1? The 90Two seems to be a good weapon, but I've talked to a few guys who really didn't like the styling.

ShipWreck
10-13-10, 09:44
Will Beretta continue to market the 90Two or phase it out in favor of the 92A1? The 90Two seems to be a good weapon, but I've talked to a few guys who really didn't like the styling.

No one really knows. It never caught on like they hoped - it seems. And, there is a lack of aftermarket support for it because of that.

I imagine that it may be phased out, as Beretta has a history of eliminating items.

Depending on future military contracts for the M9A1 - I could potentially see that being phased out in favor of the 92A1 as well - or at least the commercial phasing out of the M9A1. We shall see.

Balance wise (holding it 1 handed), I like the 92FS the best, followed by the 92A1.

Visual wise - my fav to look at is the M9A1. I like the way they styled that gun.

Steve S.
10-13-10, 19:53
No one really knows. It never caught on like they hoped - it seems. And, there is a lack of aftermarket support for it because of that.

I imagine that it may be phased out, as Beretta has a history of eliminating items.

Depending on future military contracts for the M9A1 - I could potentially see that being phased out in favor of the 92A1 as well - or at least the commercial phasing out of the M9A1. We shall see.

Balance wise (holding it 1 handed), I like the 92FS the best, followed by the 92A1.

Visual wise - my fav to look at is the M9A1. I like the way they styled that gun.

I still find it odd that Beretta released the "M9A1" to the public. I seen the occasional M9 available over the years, but its still odd seeing "M9" on slides.

I didn't mind the Ninety Two. It actually felt nice in the hand I thought. I preferred it over the new PX4, ergonomics-wise. The looks of a gun never bothered me. Two of the most reliable combat guns are ugly as hell - the chunk of plastic thats the Glock and the comic book inspired HK45 / P30.

murphy j
10-13-10, 20:04
Not trying to call you a liar by any means, but I've heard this here and there over the years, and I just can't understand how one can engage the safety on the pistol. Do I like the safety on the 92 series? Not at all. But I've never had an issue accidently turning it on. I've had a hard time turning it off on a draw though.

Part of the problem is the location. The fact that fire is opposite of 1911s, I still don't mind that it flips up. But if they pushed it forward some, it would go great with a high tang grip. I've tried using the meat of my thumb just before the 2nd knuckle while on a high thumb grip to disengage it, but its just too clumsy. I much prefer keeping the safety off.

But my biggest issue with the safety is the lack of "condition 1" option. I recently handled a Taurus PT92 that a friend bought (against my strongest advice) and I found the ability to carry cocked and locked a great addition to the platform. The only downside is losing the decocker, but I would happily trade. Beretta should consider offering it as an option. It would complicate the manual of arms having 2 different types of safeties, but if one unknowingly had the other version, (the cocked n locked instead of the thought decocker) it would be immediately noticeable and not dangerous by anymeans.

Sorry to derail the thread, but I had to rant about the Beretta safety. I dislike it to the point that if my 96 didn't hold a special sentimental value (hence the username - its not cuz I'm a huge fan of the 96fs), I might have sold it long ago. Instead I just learned to keep the safety off when I choose to carry it and just train through the DA pull on the first shot.

Try doing some immediate action drills with a 92fs or M9. I guarantee you'll engage the safety at some point and not from lack of training either. As far as carrying with safety off, well there's always some idiot that doesn't truly understand that as long as it's holstered it's safe. I've had plenty of senior NCOs correct me while on the FOB. I politely explain to them that I'm a very experienced shooter and that since we're on the FOB and it's not loaded and it's holstered, then it's not a potential liability. I never win that discussion :rolleyes:.

I've shot 1911s more than anything else and have a preference for a frame mounted safety, single action and condition 1 carry. I've shot my Glock 19 second most and feel pretty comfortable with that in a proper holster.

Shipwreck - Very nice pistol, not to mention Beretta collection. I don't have the animosity that some feel towards them and keep thinking I'll pick one up just because. Now, if they made one with a Vertec style frame(slim grip) and the beefier slide around the locking lugs then I'd have to jump on it.

ShipWreck
10-13-10, 21:17
Now, if they made one with a Vertec style frame(slim grip) and the beefier slide around the locking lugs then I'd have to jump on it.

Well, the 90-Two slide is a little beefier than a standard slide - and you can buy the replacable grip piece for the 90-Two to make it a vertec grip... and the 90-Two comes in either 9mm or 40 cal...

Steve S.
10-14-10, 13:31
Try doing some immediate action drills with a 92fs or M9. I guarantee you'll engage the safety at some point and not from lack of training either. As far as carrying with safety off, well there's always some idiot that doesn't truly understand that as long as it's holstered it's safe. I've had plenty of senior NCOs correct me while on the FOB. I politely explain to them that I'm a very experienced shooter and that since we're on the FOB and it's not loaded and it's holstered, then it's not a potential liability. I never win that discussion :rolleyes:.

I've shot 1911s more than anything else and have a preference for a frame mounted safety, single action and condition 1 carry. I've shot my Glock 19 second most and feel pretty comfortable with that in a proper holster.

Shipwreck - Very nice pistol, not to mention Beretta collection. I don't have the animosity that some feel towards them and keep thinking I'll pick one up just because. Now, if they made one with a Vertec style frame(slim grip) and the beefier slide around the locking lugs then I'd have to jump on it.

I agree with you on condition 1 and the frame mounted safety. Being able to ride the 1911 safety is a huge plus, but I notice it can lead to problems when switching to the polymer guns. If you position the thumb the same way, often times the slide won't lock open on empty. I also find disengaging frame mounted 1911 style safeties incredibly easier than Beretta's. As far as safety off on the 92, yea your never gonna win that argument. For the same reason cops don't carry 1911s condition 1 in most places -- it just LOOKS dangerous.

A light bulb went off in my head, since I typically do little to no training with my Beretta, but you are completely correct ... I could see malfunction drills / reloads engaging the safety. For whatever reason, I always assumed on a draw when people complained about it.

And I'm with you on the Vertec. I think its arguably the nicest gun made by Beretta.

apache64
10-14-10, 17:09
Not in military. Don't know your M9 safety rules and training. I liked the gun. I carried one in LE for few years. Very mechanically safe pistol with hammer at rest. Re holster status, one dept. demanded safety on, the other demanded safety off. Both were obviously with the hammer in the de-cocked mode. I saw the merits of both styles, liability vs. speed. I did as ordered. When drawing a safety on 92, drills for disengaging safety, like rifle or shotgun, were stressed. Speed was not that big of issue when proficient. Big deal was malf. clearing during drills so not to engage safety. I had to learn the proper knuckle grip to work the slide w/o engaging safety.
When I made it to current dept only DAO guns were issued from Mid 90s to this day. I used the 92FS years later w/o practice of working the safety during a match. It took some focus to return to the old style and operation.
FWIW, I was at USTC a few years ago with a mixed class of soldiers and LE. I had to politely educate the Lt. to my left to not holster his M9 with hammer cocked. He was not that experienced with the system at that point. He thanked me and did not make the mistake the rest of the course.
I'm sure the NCOs and officers are trying to keep everyone on the same plane. Good luck and stay safe.

joe138
10-14-10, 18:44
I always like the "G" variant that the Indiana State Police had, where the safety only acted as a decocker.

ShipWreck
10-14-10, 19:22
I always like the "G" variant that the Indiana State Police had, where the safety only acted as a decocker.

I would likely have some G models if they hadn't discontinued them. I'd also like some new brigadier slides - but those are gone too...

Anyway - I can live with all of us having preferences. I've probably owned 40 different guns since 1993. But, right now, the Berettas are my fav - and this is my 3rd Beretta phase (I never owned more than 2 at the same time prior to now, though).

Some people like Sigs - While I have shot them numerous times, Sig and CZs are about the only 2 brands I've never owned. I've always prefered Berettas

murphy j
10-14-10, 21:13
Not in military. Don't know your M9 safety rules and training.
I'm sure the NCOs and officers are trying to keep everyone on the same plane. Good luck and stay safe.

Army safety rules are to keep it on safe at all times whether loaded or not. Period.
I've been fortunate in some of my pistol training due to the fact that one of my best friends spent 15yrs as a SEAL with Team 5 and Team 3. He was on the Navy rifle and pistol teams as a Distinguished Shooter at both and got the 'E' ticket at Gunsite when Col. Cooper was still teaching back in the early 80s. Needless to say, he's an adherent to the 1911 and absolutely detests the M9, especially after the catastrophic failure of the slides the teams had. I also had the good fortune to work with the US Marshal Service's SOG guys while on deployment to Iraq and on several occasions got to do some basic drills under their guidance. All my other training has reall been what I can pick up from the wealth of information here. I've not been to any training courses and the Army training is very very basic. I'm no Pistolero by any means, but I'm more switched than the average Soldier and have a good handle on my limitations. I think the M9 is a very accurate pistol with a good record of reliability and accuracy. I do believe there's room for improvement to the design. I believe it's the Brigadier slide that's beefier around the locking lugs. Throw that on a Vertec style frame, with a 1913 rail, get rid of the decocker feature and put the safety on the frame. I think that would be the shit in a 9mm pistol from Beretta. I'd buy it.

LHS
10-14-10, 21:31
I would likely have some G models if they hadn't discontinued them. I'd also like some new brigadier slides - but those are gone too...

Anyway - I can live with all of us having preferences. I've probably owned 40 different guns since 1993. But, right now, the Berettas are my fav - and this is my 3rd Beretta phase (I never owned more than 2 at the same time prior to now, though).

Some people like Sigs - While I have shot them numerous times, Sig and CZs are about the only 2 brands I've never owned. I've always prefered Berettas

My daily carry gun is a 92G Elite, IMHO one of the best handguns Beretta ever made. My only problems stem from the fact that Beretta didn't stick with the platform. Finding holsters is annoying (I finally found a Safariland 6004 for it last Christmas). Mags at least are cheap, and the gun runs like a sewing machine. I would like to have a rail on it, but I haven't found anyone yet who makes a good holster for a Brigadier-slide Beretta 92 with a Sure-Fire rail and a light.

I don't have any issues with an IAD engaging the safety, because the gun's decocker-only. The trigger is wonderful, easily the best non-1911 trigger I've ever used. The sights are good, though they lack tritium, I've got a set of LG-402 Lasergrips on it for night work. All in all, it's my favorite handgun out of all that I own. It shoots better than I do, and it's boringly reliable. Now if only Beretta still made them... (or the Elite II, or the "Super Dave" SD model)

ShipWreck
10-16-10, 11:18
Here's a little better pic to go with my other 4 :)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/92a1-9000.jpg

And the rest:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Beretta-89000-1.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/M9A1-9002.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/M9A1-9001.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/90-two-902-1.jpg

maddawg5777
10-18-10, 18:45
Carry rules differ between branches alot. In the Air Force we carry one in the chamber and on fire at all times(security forces/mp). Even on the FOB and in chow halls and such. The only time its unholstered is for use or turn in. Should see the looks some of the Army guys give us LOL. I dont know how many times ive been told by an Army NCO to clear my weapon and leave it on safe :rolleyes:lol. They get a nice breifing about AFI 31-201 which is my nice way to say F*** off!!!:laugh:

PS. Nice guns shipwreck, seen them on the berreta forums. Im looking to pick up a 92a1 when i get back from the desert, just need to find a holster to fit the pistol with a tlr-1 on it.

ShipWreck
10-18-10, 20:32
PS. Nice guns shipwreck, seen them on the berreta forums. Im looking to pick up a 92a1 when i get back from the desert, just need to find a holster to fit the pistol with a tlr-1 on it.

I don't have a weapon light right now - but I have looked at some of the holsters out there that allow a weapon light. I don't think I've seen any for the Beretta yet, unfortunately. They are all for railed 1911s and Glocks.

maddawg5777
10-18-10, 20:51
The only one ive found was from raven concealment. Its listed as 92/96/vertec so i dont know if it will fit that holster or not. Also it has a scroll down menu for diffrent weapon lights. The bad thing is its 85.00

ShipWreck
10-18-10, 21:40
That's not a bad price. Sweet.

Cobra66
10-19-10, 03:09
Carry rules differ between branches alot. In the Air Force we carry one in the chamber and on fire at all times(security forces/mp). Even on the FOB and in chow halls and such. The only time its unholstered is for use or turn in. Should see the looks some of the Army guys give us LOL. I dont know how many times ive been told by an Army NCO to clear my weapon and leave it on safe :rolleyes:lol. They get a nice breifing about AFI 31-201 which is my nice way to say F*** off!!!:laugh:

I believe it was John Farnam (the instructor not the rock star) who said it best when he said "the Army is afraid of guns." You know it is bad when the Air Force (no offense) has far better SOPs regarding small arms than the Army. It would be one thing if the soldiers carrying M9s were given outstanding training (including a good deal of drawing from the holster and turning the safety off) and/or practiced and were proficient with them but trust me, the average ones are not :mad:

Shipwreck - keep them pictures coming!

murphy j
10-21-10, 19:38
:(
"the Army is afraid of guns."

Agreed