PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Brake questions from a newb

Rezarf2
10-12-10, 09:52
I have been looking into a muzzle brake for my Smith and Wesson M&P15.

I shoot mostly in the woods (where legal here in my state) and would like to try 3 gun here next year.

I like the reviews I have read about the DPMS Miculek and the price fits my non-professional budget well.

I understand they are loud and shouldn't be used with other shooters in close proximity but the reduced muzzle rise would be a nice advantage. Any opinions for or against said devices and or this one in particular?

Thanks in advance-

jp0319
10-12-10, 10:06
If you do some searches on here you'll get some good info on brakes and their benefits/problems. In general if you plan to use it for 3 gun only that should be fine but if you are going to use it for training or classes then it may offend fellow shooters (concussion /blast) brakes also kick up debris when shot in urban prone and other positions. Two good alternatives to dedicated brakes are the PWS FSC 556 and Battlecomp 1.0 which combine benefits of recoil reduction and flash suppression. Hope that helps.

Hmac
10-12-10, 10:25
I have an FSC556 and 3 BattleComps. The two brands are about equal relative to muzzle rise (edge to the BattleComp) but from a flash and blast standpoint the BC is superior by a significant margin IMHO.

TY44934
10-12-10, 11:00
Brakes are nearly a requirement to truly compete in 3gun/multigun - and most of them currently used in competition are quite loud.

There are alternatives (see above). Do they belong on non-3gun (insert your use here) carbines?

The Russians have thought so since 1974 (i.e. the AK-74). Also, the SPR incorporates a crude brake.

I do not think that brakes should be completely dismissed out of hand. Their day may come.

WKshooter
10-12-10, 12:07
A muzzle brake (as well as a number of modifications) is a requirement if you was to enter the realm of competitive 3-gun matches. The sponsored shooters you see on the TV are Grand Masters in the sport and highly competitive. The sport of 3-gun is to involve all levels of experience for participation and enjoyment. As a novice entering the sport, you will have more to worry about than fast pick up shots. IMO, learn how to tame the recoil of the 5.56 and be proficient. Installing a MB on a recreational platform has in my mind more negative than positive. For instance, shooting at a firing range will get you plenty of negative stares from your fellow shooters, it is loud in the forest and ear plugs are a requirement even for the limited "hunt" shot. :big_boss:

Stegadeth
10-12-10, 12:15
I have an FSC556 and 3 BattleComps. The two brands are about equal relative to muzzle rise (edge to the BattleComp) but from a flash and blast standpoint the BC is superior by a significant margin IMHO.

This is relevant to my interest. Is there any appreciable difference in noise level and debris kicked up in prone?

robot
10-12-10, 12:18
I found a significant jump in accuracy and performance when I shoot my AR fast with a Muzzle brake, it helps to control recoil and gives me the confidence to shoot faster. It does however have a violent blast that will annoy the shooters next to you.

There are so many muzzle brakes and folks will have their own opinions, most of them are correct, so it's more of a matter of preference.

Here's a video of me shooting my AR with the Arredondo nXg compensator (http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?CID=1004,2020&PID=ig25m3144myuxs&GID=). you can clearly see the muzzle blast and how the Range Officer moves out of the way of the blast. :) Also, I got myself some "Sand-face" a couple of times when we had to shoot from prone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehKPhwwHwMI

hope that helps!

Rezarf2
10-12-10, 13:04
Very cool video bro. ^^^

Black Wrench
10-12-10, 13:41
I have the DPMS Miculek brake and I like it. My partner and I were at the range sighting our rifles in. He didn't seem to mind the noise. Its a bit louder but its no 50 cal.

jp0319
10-12-10, 13:57
+1 on the video makes me think twice about a break of any kind on a carbine that will be used in classes or combat type competition. I was going to put a battle comp or PWS on my newest carbine but I may go another direction, well see.

WKshooter
10-12-10, 14:07
+1 on the video... I like the way you did the split screens, very impressive. Also kudos on the "runs", looked very smooth...

justin_247
10-12-10, 15:10
NICE, NICE video. Tell us a little about your rig?

The brake looks like it does a fine job with muzzle rise, but I have to say that I, too, am now thinking otherwise about going with a dedicated brake. That's a lot of dust you kicked up. How does the BattleComp compare?

justin_247
10-12-10, 15:24
Actually, to answer my own question, it appears the PWS TTO actually kicks up less dust than the BattleComp, while the BattleComp (obviously) is kinder to the shooters next to you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUKfAI0KfQ

Seems to me like the PWS TTO may be the best of both worlds when it comes to competitions.

What does everyone else think?

jp0319
10-12-10, 17:46
I saw that video too, me I am sort of selfish so the impact on me is what I am more concerned about lol.

Hmac
10-12-10, 17:55
What does everyone else think?

I own both, shoot both, at the range, in courses, casual 3-gun.....you'll be happier with the BattleComp.

http://i.pbase.com/o6/60/230460/1/129365195.CiC8YaD8.compensatorss.jpg

DHart
10-13-10, 03:18
More newbie questions on comps... in particular, the BattleComp 1.0 on a 16" barrel or a BattleComp 1.5 on a 14.5" barrel...

are they best for competition and fun and ill-advised for personal defense use because of the increased sound levels?

I've never fired an AR in-home (as one might in a HD situation) and I'm wondering, how does the noise of a typical 16" AR compare to, say, a Glock 23 firing .40 cal. in-home?

Would it be a bad idea to choose a 14.5" AR with BattleComp 1.5 for indoor home defense vs. a regular FH on a 16 inch?

Iraqgunz
10-13-10, 05:21
I don't think that the Battle Comp is a bad choice for personal defense. In a SHTF scenario any flash hider is going to be loud inside your home or closed area.

For that matter even a pistol is going to be loud. That is one reason why I have my SBR handy, because I run it suppressed 99% of the time and it's easier than having my suppressor on my G19 which also happens to be my carry gun.

I don't like 14.5" inch barrels with permed flash hiders, that's just me. Many others do like it. If you are in a position that you can have an SBR it's an option I would look at. Then you can do the 14.5 with Battle Comp or you could do a 12.5" with Battle Comp.

More newbie questions on comps... in particular, the BattleComp 1.0 on a 16" barrel or a BattleComp 1.5 on a 14.5" barrel...

are they best for competition and fun and ill-advised for personal defense use because of the increased sound levels?

I've never fired an AR in-home (as one might in a HD situation) and I'm wondering, how does the noise of a typical 16" AR compare to, say, a Glock 23 firing .40 cal. in-home?

Would it be a bad idea to choose a 14.5" AR with BattleComp 1.5 for indoor home defense vs. a regular FH on a 16 inch?

Mr. Goodtimes
10-13-10, 08:02
I like the Surefire MB556. I have one on my rifle and love it. Any rifle is concussive, muzzle brake or not. I have no problems shooting next to shooters that are using the same brake. If the "concussion" from a muzzle brake offends you, maybe you should look for a different hobby.

Dave_M
10-13-10, 12:22
I would personally rather stand parallel to someone shooting an 11.5" SBR /w a FH than someone with a 16" and a brake.

WKshooter
10-13-10, 12:31
I would personally rather stand parallel to someone shooting an 11.5" SBR /w a FH than someone with a 16" and a brake.

DITTO...

TY44934
10-13-10, 15:23

We did a side-by-side comparison of my 16" RRA w/ Cooley limited/tactical comp vs. a friend's SBR H&K 93 clone.

All agreed they were equaly obnoxious outdoors.

At indoor ranges with cinder-block lane dividers, the comps will be fair worse (trust me).

Dave_M
10-13-10, 18:52
I also disagree with people stating that a brake is a "requirement" for 3-gun competitions. Just because people on the national level use them doesn't mean it's going to make a lick of difference for most shooters (kinda like weekend-cyclists installing carbon fiber bicycle pedals).

I agree with what Rob had to say in a similar thread from about a year ago:

we have more than a few shooters that run brakes. Frankly, I have yet to see the point. Several of our top shooters use them, but they would finish at the top of the heap without them too. I'm one of our better placing shooters and I don't use one. We're not running IPSC 3-gun though so our shoots are different. We also have a lot of shooters using brakes that couldn't get out of the bottom 3rd of the standings if they were shooting airsoft guns, so I don't know what they think they're accomplishing with the brake.

I've seen a LOT of shooters buy gear, parts, guns, and equipment that were truthfully well beyond their abilities. I've gone to IPSC pistol matches and been told "you're doing it wrong" by guys that finished below me in the standings. I find this unbelievably amusing. Years ago I played a lot of competitive pool and won a lot of money from guys using sticks that cost 10x+ what mine cost. I wouldn't bother with something like a brake until I got to a point where I thought it was somehow holding me back and making the difference between winning and not.

My personal preference is for a FH over a brake. I've shot in shoot-house stages with both (FDCC, 3-year anniversary match, FAL with a brake, the SO ran from the shoothouse covering his ears over his hearing protection after I engaged the first target) and prefer the FH. Shooting my 11.5" gun with Ops muzzlebreak suppressor mount and full-power ammo like the BH 75 grain is literally painful to the shooter to the point of being distracting.

Rezarf2
10-13-10, 21:36
Thanks everyone, I am going to hold out until I can run a few rounds through a gun with a brake installed.

I appreciate the feedback on both sides.