PDA

View Full Version : Handled a P30 yesterday - Trigger question

AR15thur
10-12-10, 10:01
Following some advice from DocGKR, I've decided to stick to the 9mm game. So I went to seek out the P30.

A local shop (the only shop with HK's) had a used HK P30 in stock and I took a look at it yesterday.

Now, I don't know if it was because it was a used model or what, but the trigger on this specimen was fairly bad.

I tried the USP compact beside it, and noted that the USP trigger (SA) was very crisp and what I was expecting.

The P30 was extremely heavy in DA or SA. I found myself actually straining to get the trigger to break cleanly. Is this commonplace on the P30's, or was this just a bad egg or a bubba-job on the trigger?
Because the trigger on this one was horrible.

dvdlpzus
10-12-10, 10:06
A P30 having a P85 trigger? :big_boss:

jwperry
10-12-10, 10:08
My P30, when set as a DA/SA, had a heavy trigger as well.
Everything smoothed out after the 2k round challenge, it wasn't gritty just heavy.
I converted it to the V1 LEM and now, IMO, it has a smooth trigger. It has a solid breaking point and a positive return.
It will never be a Glock or 1911 trigger though.

10-12-10, 11:16
I too bought a used P-30. Compared to my well used Beretta 92F that has the Beretta "D" hammer spring:
The P-30 DA pull is heavier but shorter.
The P-30 SA pull is lighter, crisper but the reset is longer.
All and all I like it and it is my new carry.
Try comparing this example to another if possible.

gtmtnbiker98
10-12-10, 12:20
They smooth out with use. I've got several P30s and when new, the trigger isn't anything to write home about.

Mr. Goodtimes
10-12-10, 13:40
I was actually fairly impressed with my P30's DA/SA pull. I found it pretty good from the factory and it got even better after I put a couple hundred rounds through it.

BigBoss0311
10-12-10, 13:49
Howdy. I have a P30 .40 V2(LEM) and the trigger is heavy. It has a long travel before it reaches the "break" point, and then it takes quite a bit of pressure for it to go off. While not my ideal trigger, I did get used to it after a while. I will admit to liking my USPc .40 V1 DA/SA trigger better though. Todd G on pistoltraining.net and there are a few stickies on hkpro forums on how to change out the firing pin block spring and the trigger return spring to get a lighter trigger pull. Almost everyone who has done the mod has said that it drastically improves the feel of the trigger. These mods can be done in a matter of minutes and for less than 20 bucks. You may want to try the P30 first as alot of people (myself included) have had a hard time getting used to the length of the slide release. Most peoples firing hand thumb will "rest" on the slide release, thus not allowing the slide to lock back on the last round. Kind of an inconvenience really. All that being said, I love my P30 and it definitely gets the most use out of all my pistols. I have yet to have it fail to feed or fail to fire. I will be keeping this pistol.

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae262/BigBoss0311/DSCN2350.jpg

AR15thur
10-12-10, 14:21
I guess my question is this:

I'm very interested in the P30, I liked the ergo's of it, and it pointed well for me.

The USP next to it had an awesome little crisp trigger. The USP was new, the P30 is used. I'm not buying this one either way, i just wanted to see how the pistol handled.

But I'm asking is this bad trigger common with most P30's or should it be more along the lines of the USP I tried?

gtmtnbiker98
10-12-10, 14:28
They are not Bullseye Triggers, they are combat triggers.

AR15thur
10-12-10, 14:31
They are not Bullseye Triggers, they are combat triggers.

I'm saying that my hand was almost to the point of shaking while pulling the trigger in SA

Omega Man
10-12-10, 14:37
I'm saying that my hand was almost to the point of shaking while pulling the trigger in SA

In SA? That's does not sound right. Either the trigger is defective or you have very weak hands. :confused:

AR15thur
10-12-10, 14:40
In SA? That's does not sound right. Either the trigger is defective or you have very weak hands. :confused:

Well, that's what I thinking. It's not the weak hands...I'm a "mercy" expert. :D

BigBoss0311
10-12-10, 15:28
Did the pistol have a decocker on the rear of the slide? Are you sure you were in SA? That doesn't sound right at all. What variant was the P30 at your store?

Mr. Goodtimes
10-12-10, 15:50
It sounds to me like either its not a DA/SA, it's defective, or (seeing as it's used) it's been bubba'ed up.

While my P30's DA pull isn't the best, it's way better then the Beretta 92 I had before that. My P30 has a nice crisp break in SA too. I've found my P30's factory trigger to be very acceptable, my fathers P30 is the same way.

BigBoss0311
10-12-10, 16:21
Or it could be a DA/SA and the decocker was pushed. Just a thought, no slight on the OP, just seen it happen before. I've also seen guys explain the LEM trigger as a 2 stage SA trigger. That one happened in a local gun store (Bullet Trap) and resulted in a prolonged argument with me just getting more frustrated and not a single ting being accomplished. But that's another story. Did you get to inspect the internals or disassemble the weapon to see if anything looked broken?

AR15thur
10-12-10, 16:44
Or it could be a DA/SA and the decocker was pushed. Just a thought, no slight on the OP, just seen it happen before. I've also seen guys explain the LEM trigger as a 2 stage SA trigger. That one happened in a local gun store (Bullet Trap) and resulted in a prolonged argument with me just getting more frustrated and not a single ting being accomplished. But that's another story. Did you get to inspect the internals or disassemble the weapon to see if anything looked broken?

I didn't get to inspect the internals.

It had the decocker/non-bobbed hammer, and I could tell the double action vs. the single with the hammer back .

Really, I'm not trying whether to purchase this model or not, I'm trying to see if that's common on the P30. I liked the feel and what I've read, but if that trigger is that bad, it's not for me.

BigBoss0311
10-12-10, 17:18
No the trigger is not that bad, try playing with another P30 in your area. Also, if for some reason, you don't like any of the trigger offerings, there are enough parts and youtube videos and do it yourself posts to change the variant to a trigger pull you do like. Or you can send it to a reputable trigger guy like Bill Springfield or Gray Guns. But I would try and find another P30 to play with first. You probably got one that was messed up from the previous user.

Elessar
10-12-10, 17:25
I recently purchased a P30L. Having owned and used a variety of handguns over the years, I felt confident that I had finally found the perfect handgun for me. For some, the hand fit of the p30 is superior and it certainly is for me. I also liked the "clean" slide, with no levers or decockers and the mag release is better (for me).

However, I have quickly discovered that the P30 needs a bit of tweaking before it is the perfect pistol for me. First, I got rid of the right side slide release lever. After it is removed the first time, it never goes back on with the same level of snugness, and it simply rattles there on the side of the gun. Functionally, it has no effect but it is irritating. I have no need for the left handed release, so this also thinned it a bit.

In the long run, I'll need to get another slide stop lever and have the shaft cut down (less than 1/16") so it doesn't protrude out the right side of the reciever (now sans the right side lever). I need to have the left side thumb lever shorted considerably, so the widest part of my thumb pad, just above the knuckle, will not normally touch it. The trigger needs work. DA is simply too heavy and I need to have Grays or someone shorten up the reset length. I have not yet determined if I want to remove the trigger trench or not. Frustraiting that an expensive gun needs these tweaks, but when finished, it will be a very nice pistol (for me).

BigBoss0311
10-12-10, 17:38
Grays will no doubt give you a very nicely tuned pistol back. If you want to do it yourself, it's as simple as ordering 20 bucks worth of parts. The how to thread is on the hkpro forum. A review of the results is on pistol-training.net under the P30 thursday section.

gtmtnbiker98
10-12-10, 17:38
Sounds to me like a decocked LEM, sure it wasn't LEM?

BigBoss0311
10-12-10, 17:39
^Thats what I thought until he said non bobbed hammer, does the LEM with decocker have a non bobbed hammer?

Ironbutt
10-12-10, 17:58
Timely post! I just bought a new P30 v3 yesterday. I went to the range & the first 2 mags were all over a 8.5 X 11" piece of copy paper @ 10 yards. The trigger is much different than my Sig, S&W, & Glock's.

After about 50 rounds, I started to get the feel for it & had the groups down to 2".

Mr. Goodtimes
10-12-10, 18:55
^Thats what I thought until he said non bobbed hammer, does the LEM with decocker have a non bobbed hammer?

I'm pretty sure one of the LEM variants has a spurred hammer. I'd forgotten all about that until it was mentioned. Thats probably what it was.

EDIT: From HK's Websight

The P30 Trigger Variants:
P30 (V0):
Innovative safety trigger with concealed cocking piece in the spurred hammer. Centrally located de-cocking button, with a constant enhanced double action only Law Enforcement Modification (LEM)* trigger pull of approximately 4.5 pounds (20 Newtons) without operation of the de-cocking latch, and defined let-off point.
P30 V1:
Innovative safety trigger with concealed cocking piece in the spurrless hammer, without de-cocking button. Constant LEM trigger pull of approximately 4.5 pounds (20 Newtons) and defined let-off point.

P30 V2:
Like P30 V1 but with LEM trigger pull of approximately 7.3 pounds (32.5N).

P30 V3:
Conventional single action/double action (SA/DA) trigger without cocking piece in the hammer with spur and centrally located decocking button.

P30 V4:
Like P30 V1, however LEM trigger pull approximately 6.2 pounds (27.5N).

P30 V6:
Conventional double action only (DAO) trigger without cocking piece in the spurrless hammer. Constant DAO trigger pull of approximately 8.8 pounds (39N).

BigBoss0311
10-13-10, 03:03
Correct. But from what I gather, no V0 were imported. It has to be a homemade version from available parts.

BigBoss0311
10-13-10, 05:41
On another note, if you try another P30 and decide you don't like it, try the P2000.

AR15thur
10-13-10, 06:53
I'm pretty sure one of the LEM variants has a spurred hammer. I'd forgotten all about that until it was mentioned. Thats probably what it was.

EDIT: From HK's Websight

The P30 Trigger Variants:
P30 (V0):
Innovative safety trigger with concealed cocking piece in the spurred hammer. Centrally located de-cocking button, with a constant enhanced double action only Law Enforcement Modification (LEM)* trigger pull of approximately 4.5 pounds (20 Newtons) without operation of the de-cocking latch, and defined let-off point.
P30 V1:
Innovative safety trigger with concealed cocking piece in the spurrless hammer, without de-cocking button. Constant LEM trigger pull of approximately 4.5 pounds (20 Newtons) and defined let-off point.

P30 V2:
Like P30 V1 but with LEM trigger pull of approximately 7.3 pounds (32.5N).

P30 V3:
Conventional single action/double action (SA/DA) trigger without cocking piece in the hammer with spur and centrally located decocking button.

P30 V4:
Like P30 V1, however LEM trigger pull approximately 6.2 pounds (27.5N).

P30 V6:
Conventional double action only (DAO) trigger without cocking piece in the spurrless hammer. Constant DAO trigger pull of approximately 8.8 pounds (39N).

I'm about 95% certain that it was the V3. Really, I just wanted to see if this was a typical trigger for the P30.

There are NO other P30's to try here. It's a fairly large town, but the gun store selection is severely lacking. There's a gunshow this weekend though, and while I dread the beef jerky and 400 lb. Navy SEAL's, I will brave it in hopes of finding another P30 to try.