PDA

View Full Version : Rear sight adjustment

transition2secondary
10-12-10, 11:45
Installed a set of Ameriglo sights (GL 434) on a G17. I went with the GL 434 instead of the GL 433 because I wanted to keep POA/POI at the top of the front sight (Rick also suggested this). I've had 5 range sessions and the outcome has been the same. Good POI on the top of the front sight (until I get out to 25yds.) but the windage is off.

At 3 yards it is negligable (pretty much put them in the same hole). At 7 yards, sight left drift (about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch), 15 yards about 2 inches, but as I move further out to 25 yards, I get POI about 4 1/2 to 5 inches left and 3 to 4 inches high. Ammo is Fiocchi 115gr. FMJ. It has been a good, reliable training round (would like it to be a little hotter, but I digress).

Using Speer Gold Dot, the results are a little better but still the drift left at greater distances (15 to 25 yds.)

Just a matter of adjusting the rear sight? If so, how much movement to get the correction? Will this just be trial and error?

By the way, results were similar even when the 25 yard shots were supported.

Thanks.

John_Wayne777
10-12-10, 13:36
A lot of right handed shooters push shots left because too much of their trigger finger is touching the frame. That means when they move their trigger finger the base of the finger can bump the weapon slightly to the left. The amount of finger you are putting on the trigger can also impact the windage of hits on target by torquing the weapon to the side as you move through the arc of the trigger pull.

Of course, it is also possible that your sights are genuinely off. If you eliminate shooter error as a potential explanation (good to have another good shooter fire the weapon) and you need to drift the sight, it will indeed be a process of trial and error to determine the exact amount of movement that is required. Sight pushers are good for making small adjustments to dial in the correct orientation of the sights, but hammer and punch can also be used.