PDA

View Full Version : ECW System Sleeping Bag Question

rickp
10-12-10, 15:28
I have a brand new 3 piece Army ECWS sleeping bag. The green patrol bag, the black cold weather bag and the gortex shell.

I've never used this system so I'm wondering how effective is the 3 piece system.

I'm looking to get another sleeping bag but I would still like to know under what conditions this thing works well. I would hate to take it to Yellowstone in 20 degree weather just to freeze my ass off.
I've used the old green sleeping bag but not this one.

Thanks
R.

GTF425
10-12-10, 20:48
The patrol bag with bivy cover is good down to ~30 degrees. I use the heavyweight bag with bivy cover up here in Alaska with no problems. I'd recommend you pick up a poncho liner (woobie) as well because they are God's gift to the Infantry and are a lightweight, effective layer to add if you really need it.

Ak44
10-12-10, 20:54
I second the recommendation for the poncho liner, it's my security blanket. :sarcastic: The sleep system is very good, I used it for the cold winters in Quantico and Lejeune with great success.

HES
10-12-10, 22:50
I third the poncho liner. Besides 550 cord and 100mph tape, its the best damned thing that the army came up with ever. I had mine, then got married and promptly lost it to "she who shall be obeyed" after she discovered it. Then we had kids. Each of the little house apes would take mine. Now are all have our own stenciled poncho liners.

As for sleeping bags, Im looking for a mummy bag that will take me into the 20s with out needing a poncho liner. However most mummy bags are narrow / restrictive. Other than Kifaru, does anyone else make a mummy bag that is extra wide? Is the ECWS wide or just standard narrow? Reason I ask is that we have a gun show coming up this weekend and there is a new dealer who does nothing but sell surplus gear and thought of buying one. If its narrow then I will have to pass.

GTF425
10-13-10, 02:22
Each of the little house apes would take mine. Now are all have our own stenciled poncho liners.

A family that woobie's together, stays together. I sleep with an extra large woobie I picked up off of eBay for $12. Best purchase I've ever made apart from a cheap pair of Mechanix gloves I took to Afghanistan.

I'll ask around with the guys at work tomorrow who are into hiking and camping and see if any of them know of a mummy bag they recommend. I'll shoot you a PM whenever I can.

Weaver
10-13-10, 07:27
I have slept outside in some quite cold weather in th ECWCS system. Like -30 to -40 F, using the three bags, a woobie, top and bottom heavyweight polypros, wool socks and a PT hat. Chilly, but I did get good sleep for the night. This while laying on a Thermarest mat on a cot, shielded from the wind but open skies.

Much, much better than the old green fabric Intermediate or Extreme Cold Weather bags were.

rickp
10-13-10, 09:51
It's funny how people love the poncho liners. In that sense I'm way ahead of you guys. I already have a woobie and it goes everywhere with me.

Well I guess the 3 piece system works.

Thanks for the replies.

R.

R Moran
10-13-10, 12:03
I third the poncho liner. Besides 550 cord and 100mph tape, its the best damned thing that the army came up with ever. I had mine, then got married and promptly lost it to "she who shall be obeyed" after she discovered it. Then we had kids. Each of the little house apes would take mine. Now are all have our own stenciled poncho liners.

As for sleeping bags, Im looking for a mummy bag that will take me into the 20s with out needing a poncho liner. However most mummy bags are narrow / restrictive. Other than Kifaru, does anyone else make a mummy bag that is extra wide? Is the ECWS wide or just standard narrow? Reason I ask is that we have a gun show coming up this weekend and there is a new dealer who does nothing but sell surplus gear and thought of buying one. If its narrow then I will have to pass.

Look into Wiggy's bags.

Bob

Watrdawg
10-13-10, 12:40
The ECW system is pretty nice. I've used it in temps from the 60's to -teens. Nice to be able to configure however you may need. The only down fall is that all 3 pieces together are a bit heavy. I also have a Northface down bag that I will cover with the ECW bivy cover and it's comfortable to -30 maybe a bit lower. I've slept in it this way in the single digits and I had to open up the bivy cover because I got too hot.

HES
10-13-10, 21:25
It's funny how people love the poncho liners.

There is nothing funny about our woobie love. I feel no shame for the happiness and joy it brings me.

Ak44
10-13-10, 22:05
If you can get a good deal on the sleep system get it...if not at the very least get the gortex bivvy sack and go to rei and get a nice sleeping bag. The Northface Cats Meow is a very popular model. I stripped my sleep system for the bivvy sack and used a Recon 3 bag in Iraq.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-15-10, 12:55
I've used my issued one for a long time. Taken it to colordao in the middle of winter, used it in cold weather training in mwtc, and it's always kept me warm.

RiggerGod
10-15-10, 19:55

For civi bags, take a look at Sierra Designs product line. As far as I know they were the first to fool around with "stretchy" bags back in the late 90's. It seems their product line has advanced some since then.

http://www.rei.com/product/797120

A lot of companies make slightly larger bags:

http://www.rei.com/product/795763

Hope that this helps!

rickp
10-16-10, 12:14
thanks for the replies guys.
I guess people are pretty happy with it and it works as advertised.

R.

variablebinary
10-17-10, 02:51
thanks for the replies guys.
I guess people are pretty happy with it and it works as advertised.

R.

If definetely does. A couple of FTX's ago I had some moldy vietnam sleeping bag, and it sucked in cold and wet.

The new ECWCS sleep system is vastly better. I can't say enough good things about it. It will handle snowy conditions and sub-zero temps with no problem.