PDA

View Full Version : The longest you have held on to your handgun

kyrin88
10-12-10, 16:02
I go through guns like toilet paper. I buy one,use it, then I sell it or trade it etc. I remember I had bought a gun and sold it in 3 days:D This is not because I didnt like it or that it was unreliable etc, but because I have a sickness.:sad: and dont know how to hold on to a gun. I had over 20 guns already(mostly ar's, glocks, bulpulps, shotguns all gone!!!). How many people suffer with the impulse? What is the longest you have ever held on to a handgun or other weapon.

JHC
10-12-10, 16:37
I love the new breed of striker fired polymer guns but they are tool-ish vs works of art and I can swap those in and out pretty easy towards maintaining the appropriate "battery". However the first couple of Glocks I've owned for at least a dozen years and those added I expect to retain indef.

But I've got classic S&W revolvers I've owned for a few decades. A Marlin for oh at least 10 years. A N4 Recce for just a few years but I'll own for the rest of my days.

Around this core, I've had some quick in and out trying out other designs (Detonics, Star, Colt D frames, Ruger SS, Sig, BHPs, P7, S&W auto, and multiple 1911s). For some reason I keep getting 1911s but over a relatively short span, flip them to try something else. Odd since that's about all I dedicated the '80's to. But IMO many modern designs serve me much better.

jasonhgross
10-12-10, 16:44
I used to be like the OP. I got bored with that and stopped looking for something better and newer. I standardized on glocks, and have had the same glock 19s for about 5 years. Within the last two years, added a Khar and G26 to solve specific carry issues.

lloydkristmas
10-12-10, 16:46
I am just like you.

I go through guns like movie stars go through girlfriends. I only ever own about 4 guns at any given time, and I dont think I have ever owned the same one for longer than a couple years.

This doesnt apply, however, to my primary go-to handgun (USP) or rifle (FN2000), I will not be selling these any time soon, as I have trained on them to the point where I know them too well to get rid of them.

Black Jeep
10-12-10, 16:50
I horse traded pistols until I was able to pick up a Glock 23. I've kept that pistol for two years now. I have specific idea of what my personal collection should look like and I will trade around in order to get that item. Right now, the only two guns I have that I wouldn't ever trade/sell are the Ruger 10/22 my dad gave me and my Winchester Model 94 .30-30;both for sentimental reasons. I would likely keep my gen 3 G23, unless I came across a helluva deal on a gen 4. I would even my first M4 if it meant I could move up to a BCM, DD or Colt. However, once I got the rifle I want I wouldn't trade it.

ShipWreck
10-12-10, 16:53
I go through guns like toilet paper. I buy one,use it, then I sell it or trade it etc. I remember I had bought a gun and sold it in 3 days:D This is not because I didnt like it or that it was unreliable etc, but because I have a sickness.:sad: and dont know how to hold on to a gun. I had over 20 guns already(mostly ar's, glocks, bulpulps, shotguns all gone!!!). How many people suffer with the impulse? What is the longest you have ever held on to a handgun or other weapon.

Yes, I buy and sell guns a lot. I get bored with stuff - and then when I want something else, I have to sell something to swing it.

After selling my 2005 P99, my oldest gun is a 2006 PS90 and a 2007 Buckmark.

kyrin88
10-12-10, 16:59
I also had a PS90, but never got around to shooting it. I just put a whole bunch of shit on it and never shoot it:suicide: I traded it for a msar stg-556 with some extras. The STG-556 was probably the most accurate rifle I have owned. Had that for about 6 months and it was gone.

1_click_off
10-12-10, 17:04
Guess I am more of a collector. I have only gotten rid of 3. Wish I had kept 1 of them as it was my very first pistol.

If you are letting them go through your hands like that, be sure you are getting notorized bills of sale. They will follow down the trail back to you if used in a high enough profile crime. I know it is a pain for them to track them back to a dealer and then the dealer has to give up his paper work, but they might just happen to go to the store you bought it at first and then all your info is right there ontop of the XYZ forms you filled out and you have to then prove you no longer own the firearm.

Moose-Knuckle
10-12-10, 17:21
My father instilled in me to never sell a gun unless you just have too. I have sold some but I use the money to get what I really want.

ShipWreck
10-12-10, 17:56
I also had a PS90, but never got around to shooting it. I just put a whole bunch of shit on it and never shoot it:suicide: I traded it for a msar stg-556 with some extras. The STG-556 was probably the most accurate rifle I have owned. Had that for about 6 months and it was gone.

I sold an Hk45 in Dec 2009 to buy an MSAR. I sold the MSAR about 6 weeks ago to buy a 2nd PS90 :)

I sold a Ruger P95 yesterday to help pay for the rest of what I owed on a new Beretta 92A1 I had on lay--a-way... A few months ago, I sold my P99 to buy a 2nd Beretta M9A1 :)

Caeser25
10-12-10, 18:00
Winchester 94 in .30-30 but that was handed down to me and it's never leaving. My XD .40 4" was the one I held onto the longest that I bought. Bought it in 2004, sold it last December with about 15k through it. Bought a Glock gen 3 17 to replace it. My Sig P6 and 245 each stayed about a year, as well as a CZ 100. I'm settled and sold on Glock for utilitarian duty. I'll add a 1911 one day just because.

1_click_off
10-12-10, 18:03
First long gun given as a present. Remington Improved Model 6 in 1989.
First long gun I purchased. Interarms ATD back in 92.
Second Pistol. Dan Wesson 44 Mag SS in 94.
Still have all three today.

DocH
10-12-10, 18:14
I used to trade around often in my younger days but now pretty satisfied with what meets my needs.
The one I've had the longest at this point is a 2 1/2 inch Mod 19-2 that I've had for slightly over 40 years.It has been refinished in NP3 and has a gold bead on the front sight. Several other older S&W revolvers but my shooters these days are 9mm Glocks. The Mod 19 is the one in the avatar.A good old friend.

DMR
10-12-10, 18:32
Kahr P9 since 1999.

Kimber Classic Custom since 1999, but it's on the EE now to source a second M&P .45 FS.

D Golden
10-12-10, 18:41
I have my Father`s Remington rand .45 . He brought it home from WW2 and gave it to me when i came home from the army. He would tell me not to waste my time with any other caliber or pistol, and after fighting thru the south pacific, i believed it! That one`s been in our family for 65yrs., and my steel frame Colt commander .45 for about 30. I like the commander for carrying.

DocGKR
10-12-10, 18:48
I keep shooting a handgun until I am issued a new one or I identify a platform that is more reliable and accurate in my hands. Constantly changing firearms is the mark of an amateur dilettante...

As I have said before, there is NO need to own a bunch of different handguns in various flavors and a lot of reasons to avoid that trap; instead strive to master your primary handgun of choice and you may find that it saves your life one day.

I would much rather someone own 2-3 good quality, identically configured handguns (one to beat on in training, one to carry daily, and perhaps one to serve as back-up/home defense) and spend the rest of their time and money on getting outstanding training and extensive practice.

citizensoldier16
10-12-10, 19:03
Received a brand new Glock 17 with Trijicon night sights when I was 16 as a birthday gift from my father...10 years (and many IDPA matches) later I still have it. I'll never get rid of it for as long as I breathe, for it will become a gift to my future son someday along with the Remington 870 Youth model I received when I was 12. Those two guns will never be sold because I intend them to be heirlooms.

gtmtnbiker98
10-12-10, 19:16
I keep shooting a handgun until I am issued a new one or I identify a platform that is more reliable and accurate in my hands. Constantly changing firearms is the mark of an amateur dilettante...

As I have said before, there is NO need to own a bunch of different handguns in various flavors and a lot of reasons to avoid that trap; instead strive to master your primary handgun of choice and you may find that it saves your life one day.

I would much rather someone own 2-3 good quality, identically configured handguns (one to beat on in training, one to carry daily, and perhaps one to serve as back-up/home defense) and spend the rest of their time and money on getting outstanding training and extensive practice.Amen! I have done exactly that! Many ask, why do you have five P30s? Easy, one P30s .40 is for duty, the other P30S is for backup. The P30 9mm and it's twin are for training, IDPA, USPSA, etc (cheaper training than .40). The P30L is for 3-gun and whenever I want a full-size 9mm to work with. Consistency is key and believe it or not, cheaper (logistics wise).

I also have an HK45, guess what, same manual of arms as the P30. I like the spidey grips!

kyrin88
10-12-10, 19:31

I would much rather someone own 2-3 good quality, identically configured handguns (one to beat on in training, one to carry daily, and perhaps one to serve as back-up/home defense) and spend the rest of their time and money on getting outstanding training and extensive practice.

Well I don't have the same life style as you do, nor do I share your philosophy on the subject. There are few firearms that I trust my life with when carrying, and I make sure to master them to the best of my ability( actually only one-GLOCK-). I must say that it is better to be well rounded or even knowledgeable of different platforms in terms of function, take down etc. etc. "Amateur dilettante" Ha, A little shallow don't you think.:laugh: What do think i buy them, and not have a clue how to use it? One for my car, one for my bathroom, one for my bicycle? dude some people only have one gun.

joe138
10-12-10, 19:34
I have had a G19 since 93. I used to go with the gun of the month club. But I primarily carried what was issued. I have now settled on 2 platforms. Glocks, in 9mm and 1911's (for nostalgia). I have also gone the same direction with rifles. Only AR's. A simplified inventory saves money and increases profiency.

Moose-Knuckle
10-12-10, 19:34
"Amateur dilettante" Ha, A little shallow don't you think.:laugh: What do think i buy them, and not have a clue how to use it? One for my car, one for my bathroom, one for my bicycle? dude some people only have one gun.

Truth hurts, especially when one vears from one's own lane.

varoadking
10-12-10, 19:40
I had over 20 guns already...

Wait until that 20 reads 200 before you think you may have some sort of a problem...

I still have a Model 19 that I purchased in 1975...

varoadking
10-12-10, 19:45
...amateur dilettante...

Redundant...

kyrin88
10-12-10, 19:49
Wait until that 20 reads 200 before you think you may have some sort of a problem...

I still have a Model 19 that I purchased in 1975...

Ha, I hope not. I have consolidated my collection to just a few handguns. In this recent economy, I do not have the funds to be impulse buying right now. wow! 1975, wasn't even born yet.

JHC
10-12-10, 20:31
. "Amateur dilettante" .

Or you might be eclectic. ;)

Magsz
10-12-10, 20:53
Guns are tools.

They all go bang.

Some go bang better than others. I find what goes bang better than the others and keep it until there is nothing left of it through use and abuse.

If you're a collector fine, i can respect that but at least collect beautiful pieces of work, ie not production handguns...

As "gun guys" we all want to find the latest and greatest but the simple fact of the matter is that there is no best. Choose what works for you, shoot the shit out of it, get your enjoyment out of shooting and excelling at said activity and save the money. The money you would spend on that next gun purchase would be better spent on training or more ammunition.

Have you ever had any formal training Kyrin? I notice you're down in Miami, the land of the Mall Ninja instructor. Im sure one of the thousand of Recon Ranger Combat Seals down there could offer you something useful in the way of gun related knowledge.

kjdoski
10-12-10, 21:03
I held onto my 2003 vintage P226 in 9mm for five years - that's probably my record.

SWMBO and I had this discussion today. In the bad old days when my income was FAR outstripped by my desire for firearms, I had to sell/trade one pistol to get the newest, greatest thing that I HAD TO have.

Nowadays, I have a "ceiling" for guns in my possession. I'm not sure if it's monetary or a raw number of weapons, but, I occasionally reach a point where I say to myself: "you have too many guns." Then I'll go on a selling frenzy and clear the safe of anything I haven't shot in more than a couple of months, unless it has sentimental value or is too unique to easily replace later...

Regards,

Kevin

Ga Shooter
10-12-10, 21:13
1975, wasn't even born yet.

You don't say!:sarcastic:

10-12-10, 21:49
I've bought and traded a few over the years. Sometimes when I needed money, some when I discovered they didn't make me a better shooter. But I still have the S&W M18 I bought in '80, and the Remington Speedmaster in '81. I still have dad's '68 Colt government. I stopped doing that few years back and stick to what works for me.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-12-10, 22:06
God I used to suffer from the OPs problem too. I still get the urge to sell a gun for a new one every once in awhile, but I just tell myself that someday they may be illegal and Ill be happy to have an arsenal.

The longest Ive held onto a handgun? 1 year in december, but thats because my wife gave me my P239 so I treasure it.

Ive sold but loved the following:
Sig P220 Stainless
Sig P220 Carry
Glock 30
XD 9

And as far as long guns:
Mesa Tactical Rem 870
Saiga Ak47
Marlin 30-30
Winchester Model 70 Pre 64 (in my youthful ignorance, bad bad idea)
Marlin .22lr

But, I do plan on buying another P220, maybe an SA version.

Cobra66
10-12-10, 22:12
I have a decent sized collection of firearms. I seldom sell guns and at a point in time a decade or so ago, I purchased many guns that I liked or wanted to collect. I also inherited a couple collections and some of those firearms have some sentimental as well as monetary value. These guns don't ask for much, an occasional wipe down, a hug, and to be put in a low humidity environment so other than price paid I'm not out much money. I could have spent the money on gambling and whores.

That said, I have guns that are for collecting and guns that are for using. Since the majority of my adult life was spent carrying the M9 I learned to shoot the Beretta well and I still use it as my primary HD/SD and general competition/fun gun. Today at work I carry a different type of pistol that I have come to learn to shoot well, but I will not say I enjoy shooting it. Still, it is a requirement that I learn to shoot it as well as I can regardless. Luckily this gun has a simplified manual of arms and thus does not interfere much with Beretta training. The other guns I will take out and shoot occasionally for fun, but all my serious training will be either with a Beretta or a HK.

I think Doc makes a good point, a person who continually changes guns, especially guns that have different manual of arms, will never reach their maximum skill level nor be able to get the most out of their firearm. That said, there is a value in knowing the manual of arms of many different firearms as well as a personal satisfaction in collecting them. I seriously doubt I will ever be issued an AK, but I'm damn glad to know how to operate one and shoot one.

Having an impressive collection does not a marksman make, and it is always better to spend money on ammo and quality training rather than tilt at windmills to obtain the mythical "perfect handgun." But if you have the disposable income to put together a small collection, and you understand the limitations and training scars that can develop by constantly changing guns, then why not? I understand that Larry Vickers has an amazing and eclectic collection of martial firearms, I doubt anyone would call him a dilettante. :confused:

So to answer the OP's question - My first gun purchase was a High Power in 1990, my first AR in 1994, my first Beretta in 1995 all of which I still own.

ucrt
10-12-10, 22:18

I've owned a S&W Model 28 & Model 17 for 35+ years, still have the original boxes.

Most of my guns that I decide to keep, I have 2 of them. 1 is none and 2 is one.

tpd223
10-12-10, 23:15
My first centerfire handgun was a Ruger Security Six I bought with some of my basic training money in 1982 (actually my dad had to buy it for me since I was 17 years old).

I bought the gun in 1982, started carrying it as a cop in 1987, still have it today.

bigghoss
10-12-10, 23:34
when I turned 21 I celebrated by buying a ruger p95dc which I still have 6 years later. I also still have my mosin nagant m44 which I got when I was 18. I very rarely sell any of my guns.

cathellsk
10-12-10, 23:37
I'm a tradin' fool. But when it comes to my main "carry" handguns I stay the same, Glock 19s and S&W J frame .38s. I have several of each. The one pistol I have currently that I've had the longest is a GEN2 G19 I bought new in '96-'97. It dates to Nov.'96. I've actually traded/sold it off a number of times but it always ends back up in my hands where its staying for good now.
Everything else I have is for fun, nostalgia, or other specific purposes.

ThirdWatcher
10-13-10, 01:18
34+ years. Dad gave me an S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman (6" bbl) when I got out of the Army and I put thousands of rounds downrange with this revolver while I was in college. Dad is gone now, but I'll hang onto this revolver until I, too go to the other side. :)

556A2
10-13-10, 01:27
I've standardized on the Glock 17 & 19 after going down the CZ & Beretta road.

G17 RTF2 for HD
G19 for Carry

Both setup exactly the same (OEM 4.5lb Connectors, Standard Coil Spring, Glock Night Sights, and 147 grain Ranger Ts)

I have no plans on changing after owning CZs & Berettas. Probably will buy another G17 RTF2 eventually.

Ironnewt
10-13-10, 02:09
After having to sell a prized .45 for emergency cash for a car repair, I swore I'd only sell to move up in quality. I have a replica Colt B/P revolver that I bought in the early 1970's and a Savage bolt action in 222 Remington that I got around the same time. I've turned my collection into a combination of investment and stuff I use Most of the stuff I have I'd had for years although I am adding some AR's in 6.8 SPC to go with my AR 15's in 5.56.

DocGKR
10-13-10, 03:48
If folks who want to spend their income on collecting firearms--that is great. At one point, I had a vast collection that included just about every service handgun commonly in U.S. and allied LE and military use. LAV has a great collection--but he doesn't carry most of them. To the best of my knowledge, Larry typically relies on one or two handguns for daily carry and he DEFINITELY has mastered them. Again there is nothing wrong with collecting or fam firing a bunch of different weapons. The issue is with folks who continually carry a different handgun; as noted, they are doing themselves a disservice and are likely hindering their development as a shooter. After being involved with firearms on a professional basis for the past 25 years in the military, LE, and as an SME I am quite confident that my comments and philosophy on this subject are not "shallow" and in fact will save fellow shooters quite a bit of time, money, and aggravation, while allowing them to more rapidly develop their skills.

padwan
10-13-10, 04:51
Heirloom guns are the only ones I hold on to. These guns were nothing fancy, but they were sentimental as they belonged to my grandfather and his brothers. At that, I passed them on to my kids when they took an interest. The only one I still have is a pitted Detective Special, which I don't shoot anymore.

For working pistols, I replace every two years or 50,000 rounds. I used to replace my J-frames at about the same interval, but no-lock S&Ws aren't always available in my area. I have a pair of SP101's on order and these should last me quite a while.

QuickStrike
10-13-10, 06:09
Why sell a good reliable gun? I'd have to spend all that time and money to test it again!

Any skills adapted to that particular design has to be rewired/re-adjusted for a new one.

I like mostly 1911's and glocks myself (carry glocks more because 5" 1911's are pretty big), and will likely stick with them for serious use.

Spiffums
10-13-10, 10:50
Bought a Taurus PT99AF back in 1990.......... it's still in the safe today.

THCDDM4
10-13-10, 11:14
I like to hold on to my guns, I buy new ones all the time, but I have a problem letting an old one go. I do every once in a while when a family member is in need without means, the wife says I have to let one go to get a new one (Not too often, but it happens) or if friends or family truly loves the gun and wants to buy it. I have a special place in my heart for every single gun I have ever bought; even the plain jane ones.
I especially can't let them go since I want to give them all to my children latter in life.

The longest I have had a firearm would be since birth, my grandfather gave me a colt 1848 6" baby Dragoon on the day I was born, and I still have it in the safe; beautiful little gun.

Every once in a while I will get them all out for a huge all in one cleaning/inspection session; and reminisce about buying them, shooting them, and what not. Always a fun time for me and the wife.

The only guns I let go quickly were ones with problems or ones that did not like me or vice versa; those get traded or sold immediately.

theJanitor
10-13-10, 11:14
I had a rule, never to sell a gun. But when I got engaged, I made a new rule for myself: I will sell a gun(s) to finance all new firearm purchases. so for the past couple years, I have been buying and selling.

but to answer the question, the oldest handgun I currently own is 13yrs old. the oldest rifle is from the fifties, given to me by my grandfather in the early eighties

Beat Trash
10-13-10, 16:02
My oldest handgun is a S&W 686 revolver I bought for myself as a 21st birthday present in the early 1980's.

I hold onto a few pistols because I like them; a BHP, a 1911 (or two) and a Sig 228. These guns are range toys.

The guns I actually carry though are very limited. On duty it's a M&P 9mm fs. Of duty, it's the same gun, or a Glock 19. A Kahr PM9 fills a special needs/limited usage category that used to be filled by a S&W 642. Add an AR15 and a Remington 870 (at work) and that's about it.

The guns I hang onto are either those that have sentimental value, or are range toys. Something that lives in the safe and I take along when plinking with my son. These are different from the guns I train with, practice with, and carry. Those guns are tools, and are treated as such.

Ga Shooter
10-13-10, 16:15
If folks who want to spend their income on collecting firearms--that is great. At one point, I had a vast collection that included just about every service handgun commonly in U.S. and allied LE and military use. LAV has a great collection--but he doesn't carry most of them. To the best of my knowledge, Larry typically relies on one or two handguns for daily carry and he DEFINITELY has mastered them. Again there is nothing wrong with collecting or fam firing a bunch of different weapons. The issue is with folks who continually carry a different handgun; as noted, they are doing themselves a disservice and are likely hindering their development as a shooter. After being involved with firearms on a professional basis for the past 25 years in the military, LE, and as an SME I am quite confident that my comments and philosophy on this subject are not "shallow" and in fact will save fellow shooters quite a bit of time, money, and aggravation, while allowing them to more rapidly develop their skills.

You should really listen to him. He is one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum. I personally think a little respect is in order.

mhanna91
10-13-10, 16:26
I have had a Ruger 10/22 for 3 years because it was my first gun and my dad gave it to me. Will never sell it. I have the sickness as well. I am currently 19 years old and have been collecting guns (legally of coarse) since I was 16. My current gun count is 4 shotguns, 3 rifles, and 2 pistols. However, I have owned 17 guns in this 3 year span. I went through 3 other pistols before settling in with my M&P9FS and am on my second AR. I slowly found out that for the most part, you will more than likley lose money by hocking your guns to buy different guns. There have been a few exceptions, but that is the trend. I now have all the guns I will need for the rest of my life and will probably keep them around until I die, and hopefully not do any more crazy gun buying unless I can truley afford it.

Rider79
10-13-10, 17:02

Absolutely. I've made some deviations in the past, but I've always gone back to Glocks. Now I've cleared everything out of my safe except 9mm Glocks and 5.56 ARs. If I add anything to the arsenal, it will be more of the same. Otherwise my money is going to ammo and training.

I think the OP needs to stay in his lane.

As for the gun I've kept the longest, that would be the Savage model 5 .22 that I learned to shoot on when I was 8 and my dad let me have on my own when I was 13. My aunt won it in a shooting competition in 1958 and gave it to my dad. Its so old it doesn't have a serial number on it.

m4gery
10-13-10, 17:12
I've never sold or traded a gun. I guess I'm a hoarder. I can't bring myself to get rid of any of them.

gan1hck
10-13-10, 17:42

I have a Colt HBar that I bought in 1989

I have a Desert Eagle 44 magnum that I received as a gift in 1988.

a ruger 10/22 from 1986

They still all go bang when I pull the trigger...and the bullets go where they are supposed to go, so no reason to replace them.

RogerinTPA
10-13-10, 19:48
Had a 1st Gen G23 for 16 years, until trading it for an M&P40 a few years ago. It's the best decision I've ever made as far as .40's are concerned.

RogerinTPA
10-13-10, 20:17
Had a 1st Gen G23 for 16 years, until trading it for an M&P40 a few years ago. It's the best decision I've ever made as far as .40's are concerned.

LMTRocks
10-13-10, 20:31
I've only sold 1 pistol---an XD 9 with grip chop to a friend who had a hi-point.

MarshallDodge
10-13-10, 20:43
I have the Winchester 69A that my Dad gave me 30 years ago as well as the first handgun I ever purchased, a S&W 422 Target, purchased new in 1987.

There have been quite a few that I have bought and sold but I don't think I will sell those two.

kyrin88
10-13-10, 21:54
I've only sold 1 pistol---an XD 9 with grip chop to a friend who had a hi-point.

Ya should of sold him a glock:laugh: but, you did him good justice. My friend also has a high point 9mm and damn is that thing heavy. Its like 2 Ibs!!! He actually carries that god forsaken thing, and not because he cant afford another, its just because he likes it....:confused: It is one ugly gun. Does anyone know what kind of barrel the high point uses?(sorry for off topic)

Beat Trash
10-13-10, 21:56

This is kinda sorta what I was trying to say in my last post. But the good Dr. Roberts said it more eloquently.

Plinking, pleasure shooting, collecting and familiarization firing various types of guns can be a fun past time. But it is not the same as training with a gun to carry into harms way.

Plinking is not training. FAM firing is not training. The time, energy and shear work involved in developing the skills necessary to effectively shoot under stress during a life threatening incident are immense. To consistently switch types of guns being carried only adds to the challenge.

I have been working on my skills for the last 24 years. I have been carrying a handgun as an inter city LEO for the last 18. I consider my training and skill development a constant work in progress. The guns I carry for defense are tools. I use them hard. I take care of them, but I do not baby them.

While I have never met Dr. Roberts in person, I have talked with him, both on the internet and on the phone. I respect his opinion as being both informed and he is a "no bull shit" type of individual. He does not invent much of what he says. He does have an ability to state the obvious though.

The OP really needs to stay in his lane on this one...

jp0319
10-13-10, 22:12

Man I am with you! I did that exact same thing until the last couple of years. My wife kinda fixed that for me. She told me I was a Fing idiot for buying-selling-trading-buying..... I have owned my Glock 35 for 4 years now and that is the longest I have owned a particular gun beside a passed down winchester 16 guage. It does seem like a sickness though every time I see something new and shiny I go through my inventory in my mind and think "what can I get rid of, I have to have that" Its a never ending cycle I'm around the same number that you are. There should be like a support group for people like us. really

skyugo
10-13-10, 23:37
i've had my g19 for over 2 years now.
getting around the 10k mark.

doubt i'll sell it or my g26.

Combat_Diver
10-14-10, 01:21
I used to belong to the gun of the month club for a few years in the late eighties. I still have my first handgun that I bought as a teenager in Texas in 83' (used Ruger Single Six), and still carry my first 1911 that I built in 86'. However, the shortest time owning a handgun was about 30 minutes. Wanted a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine to match my M1 Carbine and had the word out with LGS. LGS called and said he picked up a trade on one for me. While by this time had lost interest in the Blackhawk but went down and picked it up anyway (came with dies, brass, bullets and stripper clips). A guy came in 30 minutes later as I sat there playing with it. He had to have it and we traded for a CA Bulldog 3" blue in .44 SPL. I kept the reloading stuff and still have that Bulldog. This trade happened around 87'.

CD

YVK
10-14-10, 01:32
When I plan on purchasing a pistol, I approach it with intent of never selling it. Coupled together with strong negatve feeling towards investing money into items that don't get used, this led to me owning just a few pistols - well below numbers I could afford quite painlessly for my budget. Moreso, as new models appear on market, I try to rent and demo those that interest me, but to switch up the advantages have to be incremental. For example, I really like H&K P30, but I don't believe it offers incremental advantages over my Glock 19 (admittedly, G-19 is modified ergonomically), so no P30 for me.
Finally, very few things are more annoying than incompetence while using a deadly object. Everyone establishes his own goals; I have mine, and until they are met, I am not changing my hardware.
So, I own and shoot my very first pistol - P7, I own and shoot my first reliable 1911 (which was a trade for my first ever 1911 that unfortunately was crap), and I own and shoot my first ever Glock. The only addition is another 1911, which was one of kind build by my favorite pistolsmith. Untill I can do whatever I set out to do with each one of them - I am not getting anything new.

GKoenig
10-14-10, 02:28
I use a hybrid strategy.

The Glock 19 is my "primary" handgun. I have 3 of them, configured identically and lots of mags. One is the primary carry with only about 1000 rounds through it (with all the freshest mags being dedicated to it), the other two get rotated through BoB duty and training. Probably pick up a 4th if I see a deal... though my time with the M&P has me considering the switch (if they only made a G19 size M&P, it would be done).

I own a bunch of other pistols though that I don't shoot a whole lot. Often, I buy used and horse trade them around to suit my fancy so I don't lose a lot of money as my tastes change.

BlueOvalFan
10-14-10, 02:31
My first handgun was a Colt Govn Model 1911 (C65xxx) bought about 20 years ago.

Still shoots great being almost a 100 yeas old, but rattles like a can of spray paint.