PDA

View Full Version : GPS options

VMI-MO
10-12-10, 16:05
I am currently looking for a new hand held GPS.

My primary concerns are:
Rugged/Water proof
Able to grab a signal through thicker veg

I was looking at the Garmin 62 series. Any experience with these?

Any other options?

Thanks
PJ

K.L. Davis
10-12-10, 17:24
The 62 Series are, from what I have seen, great units - I have three Garmins and see no reason to buy anything else.

I have a 62ST, but it is inventory... I have not played with it, but that may change.

HETZ1313
11-03-10, 22:25
Great unit I have used the cxs60 awesome unit no problem with signal strengh.

reccerecon
11-10-10, 00:53
The Garmin Rino is a nice unit. I only had signal loss inside a three story building while testing it. The radio can be handy, and the battery last longer then lets say a Motorola Talkabout, but lets not go there. The Rino is a bad mama jama, I beat the hell out of mine and its still running great. Also if you feel like wasting batteries it even has some games in the menu.

MeanRider
12-19-10, 13:44
Plus 1 for the Rino

Mitch
12-19-10, 14:26
No experience with the 62 series but I've been researching them, the 62s will be my next purchase. They're a 60csx on roids, everything about them is upgraded and you can input custom Rastor maps (USGS topo's or one of your own creation using satellite imagery overlays, aerial photos, or PDF's). Here's a good review of them at GPS Tracklog (http://gpstracklog.com/2010/08/garmin-gpsmap-62s-review.html)

broylz
12-19-10, 14:52
i really like my Garmin E-Trex Vists Cx.

i got it as a christmas present before a deployment to Afghanistan and it did great. ive also been in some thick woods down in the Natchez Trace park and it has read through every time.

i like its size and ease of use with the controls. i like its magnetic compass vs the map compass based on your movements.

i too have been looking at the rinos for the dual use as a radio.

CLHC
12-19-10, 16:39
Here's another good timely thread (at least for me), since I've been thinking of purchasing another Garmin. Now with that already stated above, I'll have to look more into Garmin's GPSMAP 62xx series.

03humpalot
12-21-10, 19:47
Another vote for the Garmin 60csx. When they first came out i paid $450.00 out of pocket for one and i was issued a Garmin 76 at the time. One of the best equipment purchases i have made to date.

I spent the day yesterday teaching some fella's how to land nav with GPS while using a 76. The 60csx is worth every penny.

It has good battery life, gets a signal FAST (I have never had less than 6 Sats locked, anywhere) is small and lightweight and easy to manipulate with gloves on.

One good piece of equipment.

rsgard
12-21-10, 19:59
60 series are goin cheap and fast, i dont think they are making them anymore. 62 series is current gen. The only thing important that i gleaned is that with subscriptions 62 series can download sat views from satellite connections.

CLHC
12-21-10, 20:32
60 series are goin cheap and fast, i dont think they are making them anymore.
On Amazon it's selling for one hundred ninety-nine and ninety-nine new w/free shipping. Now I'm wondering is that a pretty good deal? Seems the reviews on that particular model (60CSX) ranks high.

rsgard
12-21-10, 20:42
On Amazon it's selling for one hundred ninety-nine and ninety-nine new w/free shipping. Now I'm wondering is that a pretty good deal? Seems the reviews on that particular model (60CSX) ranks high.

original retail for em was like 400 and up i think.

I look at it this way, as long as the thing works, works fast, is durable, and accurate i dont need the cutting edge brand new product just because its new.

Mitch
12-21-10, 21:08
I look at it this way, as long as the thing works, works fast, is durable, and accurate i dont need the cutting edge brand new product just because its new.

The opposing theory is buying a discontinued product means it will be obsolete sooner, especially when we consider the pace that technology advances in electronics. You may pay $200 now but might have to replace it in a couple of years vs. several years. To each his own but thats my rationale :D

The 62s is going for $319 on Eastern Mountain Sports, best deal on it so far.

rsgard
12-21-10, 22:36
its GPS, it may become obsolete buts its still gonna work. its not a used car

npmako
12-26-10, 13:35
I have a Garmin 60Csx and its a great unit. For its replacement I went with the Delorme Pn-60. The Garmin user experience is far more intuitive, but Delorme maps seem much better so far. Plus the SPOT tracker is kind of fun.

mrosamilia
12-29-10, 20:31
+1 60csx

Edm
01-25-11, 21:44
I got a Delorme PN-40 for Christmas and have been using it alot. Navigating and geocaching. As for the signal, it locks on FAST. This is way more accurate than my old Garmin.

Dave L.
01-26-11, 11:08
I'm a big fan of the Garmin 60Csx. I was also recently issued the wrist-mounted Foretrex 401 which is about the best backup GPS anyone could ask for.
No maps, but it gets signal quickly and accurately. It runs on two AA's and burns them down quickly if you keep it on, but great overall product.

Armati
01-26-11, 20:29
I am pretty sure I have been issued nearly all of them at one time or another. Every year we seemed to upgrade.

For grab it and go the Garmin Etrex is a very good bet for an ultralight set up.

The Garmin 60 is good but I would argue for the some size and weight upgrade to the 530 or better. The GMRS radio is pretty handy if you are working with other people.

On a budget look at the 110 thru 130. You can text GMRS on the 130. A handy feature if you are in the hide position.

Tortuga
02-18-11, 11:19
Ive been using the 60c since it first came out in all the major theaters. I love its ability to withstand hot/cold environments and the antenna strength.

I've been testing the 62 for 4 months now and I have to admit I'm really happy with it. Both Cold and warm starts are even faster then the 60 series. Battery consumption is similar, the antenna is even better than the 60 (if that can be believed!), the software is very user friendly and screens are very customizable.

That said...for the insane prices that the 60 is going for right now...If I were were shopping for a new GPS, I'd get a 60 and pocket the difference.

TehLlama
02-18-11, 15:51
If you don't need maps, the foretrex 401 is unbeatable.

Det-Sog
02-21-11, 12:39
That said...for the insane prices that the 60 is going for right now...If I were were shopping for a new GPS, I'd get a 60 and pocket the difference.

You really have me thinking about this. My question is going to be in reference to the pre-loaded map databases as well as screen resolution.

It looks like I'll save $250 by initially going with the 60 series, but might make most of that cost up in ordering maps. I will be taking it OCONUS and eventually will need N/A, Europe as well as Asia data bases.

It looks like the 62 series comes loaded with a world data base already. I may just need to cityview in a few select places. I really don't need the satellite view...

So... If the needed map downloads would not be too much, the 60 would be the way to go. Whats your experience with map costs???

Thanks!

Tortuga
02-22-11, 19:01
So... If the needed map downloads would not be too much, the 60 would be the way to go. Whats your experience with map costs???

My apologizes, I didn't factor in Map software costs. I already had all of that.
I just looked at the website and it shows the 62ST pre-loaded with Topo for the US...at 1:100,000. Although not useless, I much prefer the 1:25,000
The world-wide is shaded relief with some general info. I'm testing the 62S, so I had to put my maps on it. The two people at work that have bought personal 62st in the past month have also replaced the stock maps.

As far as map software prices, I don't have a clue, work buys it all for us.

Dave L.
02-23-11, 00:14
If you don't need maps, the foretrex 401 is unbeatable.

I've had one strapped to the stock on my rifle for the past 4 months.
-Acquires signal fast
-Uses AAA's
-Easy to use
-Lightweight
-Very Water Resistant
-Durable

I totally agree with you.

Det-Sog
02-23-11, 09:27
Thanks Tortuga. I'll keep looking into this. Great intel so far!

Det-Sog
02-27-11, 09:49
I'm testing the 62S, so I had to put my maps on it. The two people at work that have bought personal 62st in the past month have also replaced the stock maps.

As far as map software prices, I don't have a clue, work buys it all for us.

Just found out that you can get just about any map that you want FREE from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com . A quality GPS is the last item on my "want" list, so I am doing a ton of research. I'm just getting too old and senile to be shooting azimuths on a compass... Only as a back up from now on I hope.

Last question, I promise. I am leaning towards the 62 series simply from a future software support and screen resolution standpoint.

So... If it were you, the 62s or 62st? The 62st has the world 1:100000 topo, while the 62s does not. The 62s has almost 2 gig of internal memory and the st does not.

As I can get just about any map that I need for free, would the 62s be the better buy for the memory, or is the st better for some reason? I just want to get the best bang for my buck, as this will probably be a 10+ year use item.

Thanks again!

Tortuga
02-27-11, 12:37
Side by side comparson shows the only difference is the 1:1k maps, which sucks up a good portion of the memory.
Since map cost is out the equation, I'd go for the 62s.
The memory is somewhat of a moot point anyways, both the s and st have slots for micro SD cards.

Be sure to keep that compass handy and continue to use it and check your work with the GPS...map and compass work is far too parishable a skill to let it get slip by.

Det-Sog
02-27-11, 13:54
Thanks Tortuga. You have been a great help

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 62s with an extra 8gb micro card. I am pretty sure this will get the job done for years to come. I wanted to buy right and buy once.

I agree with you on the compass skills too. I may not be able to find a needle in a haystack anymore, but I will always be good enough to get where I need to go. I equate it to being proficient with iron sights. One never knows when any/all of the gee-whiz gadgets might go T-U.

Appreciate the help. Be careful out there.

Tortuga
03-10-11, 16:18
Thanks Tortuga. You have been a great help

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the 62s with an extra 8gb micro card. I am pretty sure this will get the job done for years to come. I wanted to buy right and buy once.

What's the word on your new Nav Aid? Anything to report from the field?

Det-Sog
03-11-11, 16:31
What's the word on your new Nav Aid? Anything to report from the field?

Not yet. It shipped slowly, so it did not get here in time before I went out of town this week. I just got home, and it was in the mailbox. All that I have done so far was power it up, and let it fix my position. I'll mess with it this evening, and try to load some maps.

Give me a week or two and I should have an idea of what I am doing. I bought the vehicle mount kit too, so I will be using it when I am in town also. I plan on getting my $$ out of it.

jmoney
03-15-11, 16:12
The 62 Series are, from what I have seen, great units - I have three Garmins and see no reason to buy anything else.

I have a 62ST, but it is inventory... I have not played with it, but that may change.

well said, 60 or 62 series is the way to go, the wont let you down. Delorme is hit or miss, some people love them...there apparently are horrible problems with customer services, downloading maps...etc

jdgiii
03-15-11, 16:46
I've had A Garmin Rino 530HCx for over 3 years now. I've had great service from it for everything from marking tree stands so I can get out of the SC swamp I hunted in, hiking, road navigation, to kayaking in NC lakes and coastal marshes. It has lots of useful features, very good battery life (I have a AA battery back as well as the stock rechargeable back), and as stated previously easy to use. I've never had problems getting a signal in heavy woods. Overall it has been a very useful tool for me.

The only negatives I could possibly see compared to other units could be price (retailed for 500.00, got mine used for 300.00) and being locked into using only Garmin maps, and some may consider it a little bulky for their taste.

If I had the choice again I would probably go for the Garmin 60Csx. It has a much larger display than the Rino.

Det-Sog
03-16-11, 09:47
OK, trial run over. This is my first experience with a true mapping handheld. Just lat/longs so far.

Just messing around with it this last weekend, I'm impressed. I have not had the chance to really take it out and try to get lost yet, but I am headed to the national forest for vacation in a few weeks.

In the meantime, there is a large heavily wooded park nearby that I am quite familiar with. I downloaded a detailed 24k topo, and compared it to known markers and landmarks in the park. I also took it out and about in town. It appeared to be spot-on. I would have no problem taking this into the field.

My only complaints is are that the screen is a hair small for an old fart like me. Another 3/4" would have been perfect, but at a price for compactness. The zoom mode makes up for this. The installation of maps on to the SD card is a bit archaic. It wont let you "add" maps. It will only allow you to completely re-write the SD for an install, overwriting any maps that you have on it. You need to get what you think you will need, then load everything at once. Since I travel quite a bit, I have to think ahead.

IMHO, it's GTG. I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Tortuga
03-16-11, 18:25
Glad to hear you're liking it.
I've grown to love the 62 just as much as the 60 series. One of the features I really like is the ability to have Lat/Long and MGRS at the same time on the same screen. I know it's kind of a niche feature, but for those using their GPS to work with both ground and air assets...it's really nice not having to button mash through a half dozen screens to select from one to the other, or use two GPSs.

I've also found the 62 (and 60 for that matter) LCD screens are very temperature tolerant. Often times other makes/models would have the screen crap out below 0 degrees and would need to be put by the chest under clothing or at least a hot hands heater to get the screen to come up.

Accuracy and track logs have been a joy, also. Makes debriefing a team following a movement very easy, especially using a 1:24k topo.

jmoney
03-17-11, 23:06
I will be going with the new 62 for garmin when the time comes, their car units have had problems lately, but my dad has used them for years in montana, and I have used them all around texas, they never let me down, and the few times I used them in colorado when other brands failed my garmin 60 still managed to pull through

usmcvet
03-20-11, 12:28
I have a Rhino it is a great unit. It eats a set of batteries in a days hunting with minimal radio use. I started shutting it down and just leaving the radio on. The battery life improved quite a bit. Mine is one of the older units. New ones might be better.

dog guy
03-21-11, 10:55
For the Garmin users, be heads up regarding the details shown on each level of mapping. I live in Nevada, so we have a mix of very old roads that might not ever have been "official", plus new roads which were put in during our explosive growth during the boom. I use a 60csx loaded with Mapsource 1:100k, Garmin's US TOPO 24K, and a free 1:24K map from GPS File Depot. The free map has the best detail for older roads. It has a lot of roads that don't show up on the Garmin 24K. The Garmin 24K has a lot of the newer roads that aren't on the free map, especially in the urban interface area. And there are some major roads which show up on the 1:100K but which don't show on either the free 24K or the Garmin 24K. By "major roads", I mean some of the high speed gravel routes or good dirt roads that the jeep trails branch off of. You would think that if a road shows on the 1:100K map then it would show on the more detailed 1:24K maps but Garmin didn't do it that way.

krm375
03-21-11, 14:51
Garmin,
I have had the 60 since 2006 and have used it over seas extensively. I upgraded to the 60csx when it came online for the removable chip and more maps. I am once again looking at an upgrade The 62st seems like its the way to go for features, mapping, antenna, and simplicity since I already know how to operate the others.
As for the maps, sometimes they don't have some of the roads, but as you lay tracks in an area you make your own using the software provided, save tracks.... I have been purchasing maps of the different areas that I have been going to and the small chips are simple as opposed to the downloadable software that is taking up a lot of space on my laptop.
I agree with some of the other posters about having lat long, and MGRS on the same page to talk to air, and going in the menu and setting up the info page for time, sunset, sunrise, general heading, and the duel location .
I agree with having a backup, I use an old garmin geko as an e&e gps that has a point to run to in case of emergency.
And of course as the backup to the backup, a Map and Silva Ranger compass.

CarbonCycles
04-10-11, 11:16
I thought I'd ping this thread to see if the 62s or st is still the majority consensus on the GPS of choice, especially with folks who recently took the plunge on getting one.

TIA

npmako
04-11-11, 08:10
We just bought 2 of the St's for use with our mapping system. Its more or less an evolutional upgrade of the 60Csx. They are great units. I carry a Delorme and would consider the maps to be a bit better, but the Garmin has a much more user friendly interface.

Pathfinder Ops
04-11-11, 08:30
I have and have used and abused a Garmin Vista HCX in all sorts situations/ weather.... Its got everything I need and then some.

It is durable and hell it even has jump master data settings. :cool:

I have used it CONUS and OCONUS for work and recreational sailing.

Det-Sog
04-21-11, 09:19
More on the 62s.

I've now used it in three states on terrain from city to mountains. I have not been in a life or death situation with the unit yet, but now have the confidence in it to know that it will get me where I need to go. Still a solid 8 out of 10. It would be a solid 10 if the screen was just a hair larger. My eyes are getting old...

Like someone else mentioned, the maps are only about 95% accurate. New roads/trails/driveways going in all of the time. I birdseye overlay cures this 99% of the time though. Either way, more than enough to get you out of the woods. I'm just a tad of a perfectionist.

Just need to make sure I don't lose the compass skills now.

Irish
09-22-11, 19:09
This seems to be the most comprehensive thread on GPS systems on M4C. I currently use a Garmin and have for the past 7 years or so for driving. I'm now looking to get a unit for backpacking and wilderness activities so compact would be ideal. What are people thought's on the Foretrex 301 or the eTrex 20? Should I be looking at something else in the line up?

f.2
09-22-11, 19:56
best gps resourse i've ever seen: gpsinformation.net/ (http://gpsinformation.net/)

i've got a garmin 12xl - good old school unit.

Irish
09-23-11, 12:08
best gps resourse i've ever seen: gpsinformation.net/ (http://gpsinformation.net/)

i've got a garmin 12xl - good old school unit.

Thanks! Checking it out now.

VooDoo6Actual
12-05-11, 21:04
Been using Garmin Etrex VISTA since I got one issued one by D0S in Trashcanistan in 02'. Excellemt performance etc. Not fancy or color just flat out performs & works great.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Garmin-eTrex-Vista-H-GPS-Receiver-/77772213?_dmpt=GPS_Devices&_pcategid=156955&_pcatid=43&_refkw=Garmin+etrex+Vista&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5848&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Been using the Garmin Foretrex 401 w/ compass, backtrack & heart monitor that is the bombdigity for light weight, utility & simplicity.

Here's one at a great price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280784875965?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Heart Monitor here :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320660551202?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

HTH

YMMV...

rkba01
12-05-11, 21:37
I recently bought the eTrex 20 from Garmin. It is a GPS for $200 that will allow you to use aerials and custom maps. I have been waiting for the last 10+ years for a device that can store aerials and not cost me an arm and a leg. You can expand the internal memory with a microSD.

It's small, fast, has a decent user interface, runs on 2 AA's for 25hrs, does GLONASS as well, and it automatically archives daily tracks.

My work involves GPS and GIS and the capabilities of this unit have me impressed.