PDA

View Full Version : Recoil spring weights in Glocks

Hashmark
10-12-10, 22:18
So I'm bored and want to play around with spring weights for my Gen 4 G17. Now I've never had any shooting issues with the dual spring but I decided to try the glockmiester replacement one and I feel thats the way to go until Glock rebuilds a better spring. Anyway, I've been using the GM #17 pound stock weight and had a question about how a #15 pound would feel, as in percieved recoil and flatter shooting? I've heard that the lighter the spring is what competition type guys use and was just wondering what type of difference would it make.

BB01
10-12-10, 23:47
I can't comment on Gen 4's but for a Gen 3 34/17 the difference with a 13 or 15lb spring is minimal...especially with factory ammo.

JohnN
10-13-10, 00:18
IMO, if you want to play with spring weights for competition have at it but I wouldn't recommend it for carry. Many of the problems I have seen with Glocks stem from aftermarket spring assemblies.

Alpha Sierra
10-13-10, 08:36
I think there needs to be a clarification re: aftermarket springs.

I am willing to bet large sums that the overwhelming majority of people who have problems with aftermarket springs do so because they choose to deviate from the factory-specification spring rate.

I run a glockmeister spring in my Gen 4 G17 and have nothing but good things to say about it. But then, I bought one matching factory Gen 3 spring rate, which is optimized for duty-power 9 mm ammo.

To the OP, I would not waste money on other spring rates. Use good ammo (store bought or hand made) and deal with the recoil. It's a 9x19, anyway.........

jwfuhrman
10-13-10, 09:02
Im running ISMI Guide Rods and ISMI 13# springs in both my G22 and my G35.

G22 is my daily carry, which also gets used for Production class at USPSA matches.

G35 is strictly my USPSA Limited Gun. Magwell, Vanek Super Custom 2# trigger, ISMI guide rod, ISMI 13# spring, 4 20rd mags.

No issues with any ammo. Have shot WWB ammo thru both.

EzGoingKev
10-13-10, 16:49
Now I've never had any shooting issues with the dual spring but I decided to try the glockmiester replacement one and I feel thats the way to go until Glock rebuilds a better spring.

I am confused, if you never had any problems with the Glock one why do you need something different to tie you over until Glock makes a better one? And since you did not experience any problems with the Glock one, why do you need them to make a better one?