PDA

View Full Version : Top .22 lr handgun manufacturer?

pbmaster2k89
10-12-10, 22:34
Im starting my research for a 22lr handgun. jus somethin to play around with. what are the top manufacturers?

An Undocumented Worker
10-12-10, 22:36
I love me a Browning Buckmark, finding one with a factory rail has proven difficult though.

ucrt
10-12-10, 22:40
Ruger .22 pistols are hard to beat and are made in dozens of different configurations.
BUT
I prefer revolvers for 22's, especially 9-shot. You can get speed loaders to load up ahead of time that are 1/3 the price of pistol magazines.

Automatics are probably more accurate but there's just something about a wheel gun.

pbmaster2k89
10-12-10, 22:57
how about walther?

dc202
10-12-10, 23:41
Smith and Wesson Model 41.

556A2
10-13-10, 01:17
Ruger Mark II or Mark III

Browning Buckmark

/thread

Ironnewt
10-13-10, 01:55
You might want to check RimfireCentral.com for some ideas but a lot depends on what you want to do with it. You will not go wrong with a Ruger MK II, (personally the Mk III has been 'lawyerized' too much) I've got a Government model with the original grip angle and it's good enough for Bullseye competition with a trigger job (maybe $75 to $100 depending on who does it) and they will usually handle any round out there. You can use high velocity stuff that will batter a dedicated target gun like a S&W 41 or a Hammerli. All you need to do is find out which round shoots best in your pistol (or to your satisfaction) and you are GTG. I shoot CCI Green Tag in my S&W 41 and it's about $18.00 for a box of a hundred. Get into the Eley and some of the other high end stuff and you will drop some serious coin. I can shoot just about anything out of that Ruger including the bulk packs and it will go all day. My only complaint is that there is a lot more to do to break it down for cleaning than my other .22's

Seraph
10-13-10, 07:31
how about walther?

Walther P22? It's junk. Skip it. S&W Mod. 41 may well be the holy grail. It's pretty expensive, however. Look into a Ruger Mk III, or a Browning Buckmark, or even a .22LR conversion for your current sidearm. I like the Buckmark, because it's an inexpensive, yet nice shooting, plinker, whose barrel and top strap are easily exchanged for nice aftermarket parts, such as the barrels, rails, and sights offered by Tactical Solutions.

fivefivesix
10-13-10, 07:38
ruger mkII 2245 or a regular mkII, hell even a mkI or better yet a high standard if you can find one. a 2245 mkII 4.5 slabside all dayeven shoots cheap thunderbolts and quite accurate. plenty of paclite barrels for chaep too. i have lots of experience with them in bowling pin shoots and steel matches. 5 steel targets 7 shots 2.3 seconds was about my regular and at www.guntalk-online.com you can find the take down and install instructions and there are tond=s of mods you can do yourself to make an awesome trigger thats adjustable for pre and aft travel

austinN4
10-13-10, 07:47
You might want to check RimfireCentral.com for some ideas but a lot depends on what you want to do with it.
Good suggestion - that is my go to place for any 22 questions.

The top 2 will be Browning and Ruger. You can't go wrong with either and it is really just a matter of personal choice - sort of like Mossberg vs Reminging for shotguns.

I prefer a Buck Mark as it feels better in my hand. My Practical URX is way more accurate that I am: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=006B&cat_id=051&type_id=448&content=buck-mark-practical-urx-firearms

1_click_off
10-13-10, 07:57
I have a MK II and it is great. My brother inlaw has a sig 522. I like the balance and feel of it too. Only issues I have seen is the Ruger does not like bulk Remington ammo, that green bullet lube builds up on it and it is jam city after 2 mags, and on the sig there is a spring on the trigger bar that will slide off of it and prevent the trigger from resetting. The spring has been redesigned on the sig, from a leaf spring that would break to a coil spring that slides off the trigger bar. Just a matter of pulling the grip off and sliding back into place.

jrmymiles
10-13-10, 08:37
Cant beat the Rugers for the money. I have a 22/45 MKIII. Have had the MKII target slabside and the plain jain model. All of them have ran like a sewing machine. I would stay away from the Walther and Sig models. I have shot both. Not impressed. Just my opinion.

MichaelD
10-13-10, 19:30
Ruger.

sandsunsurf
10-13-10, 19:47
It depends on what you want to do with it. If you just want a .22 trail gun, then the Buckmark or Ruger are good little pistols. If you want to train then consider a .22 conversion or the Sig Mosquito, as it operates like its big brother Sigs.

I know the Mosquito has received quite a bit of negative internet reviews; I've found mine to be reliable. They now come with two recoil springs so that you can try a lighter spring for different ammo. I can run 250 to 300 rounds with very few or no malfunctions, but once it's dirty it starts to malfunction rapidly. A quick wipe down and some lube will get it up and going for another 100 to 200 rounds, then repeat...

I consider it a great way to train for malfunction drills.

Mine also works great with a can- Gemtech Outback II, and it's very quiet, slightly quieter than an airsoft or bb gun.

I would stay away from the Walther- it teaches bad habits with its asinine "decock" which consists of putting the pistol on safe then pulling the trigger. Plus the grip is so small that even my size M hands feel too big on it.

Combat_Diver
10-14-10, 01:27
Autos-Browning, Ruger Mk series, Smith 41s, High Standard, Colt Woodsman, Walther target pistols (not current G22), Beretta 87

Revolvers-Smith K22, 617, 17, 18, 48, 648, Colt Officers and Diamondback, Dan Wesson, Korth, Ruger Single Six, Freedom Arms

CD

Crow Hunter
10-14-10, 08:16
My experience:

-Advantage Arms conversion - I have one of the 1st, never had any real problems with it. Good training aid. Do have to washout the magazines fairly often or they start to drag.

-Ruger Mk II - I liked it, but I never shot it, I sold it.

-S&W 617 10 shot- Probably the most accurate .22 that I have ever fired. Apparently also an extremely rare 4" bbl 10 shot pre-lock with the "new" style cylinder release. I never shoot it either, planning on selling it.

-Ruger Single Six - Inherited from my Dad. Not terribly accurate with .22 LR, it is a laser however with .22 Mags. Most fun of all to shoot.

keysersoze
10-14-10, 12:39
I've shot the Rugers and yes they're fine guns with a good price point, lots of options too.

I must be the only person who likes the P22 here :D

I've had one for the past 7 years, and although it did require a break-in period, it has been reliable and accurate. I've found it to be quite accurate, more than enough to hit the occasional pest (field mice, and rats at the farm).

I did do some modifications as mentioned in the P22 Bible though, so that's a big factor too.

wilshire1412
10-14-10, 16:49
Beretta 87 if you need something fairly compact that's still reliable.

Ruger MKIII, Buckmark, S&W 41 for something accurate and reliable.

I would stay away from the Mosquito and the P22, cast zinc parts and all.

Crow Hunter
10-15-10, 07:46
My brother has a Mosquito with a suppressor (Gemtech I think). It is quieter than a pellet rifle. The barrel is short enough that the rounds never make it to supersonic. He hasn't had any problems with it YET....

However this is a sample of 1 and he hasn't had it for long.

SWATcop556
10-15-10, 08:52
The S&W 41 is a leading option. I'm looking at adding one to the stable soon.

Ruger and Browning are also good options. I've had a Buckmark and Single Six I got from my grandfather and love both.

spdldr
10-15-10, 10:35
In my opinion the best reasonably compact and light weight .22 auto available is the Beretta M87. It is highly reliable, very durable, adequately accurate,and double action. It is very easy to field strip compared to a Ruger for instance. Much more expensive though. It approaches the legendary Jaguar in reliability, but is an improvement due to the double action.

The Airlite S&W 3" is also excellent. Forget about speedloaders in a .22 revolver though. The rounds are so light weight and the chambers so typically dirty that they are almost useless.

Dave

Boonie Packer

jeremy stanke
10-17-10, 16:02
my fiancées mosquito works great with cci mini mags. my beretta 87T is nice as well

pbmaster2k89
10-25-10, 21:54
which .22lr handguns would you recommend that allows you to mount a laser sight?

Prange
10-26-10, 20:35
If you have a 1911,you might consider a Marvel conversion. My 2 cents.