PDA

View Full Version : Marcellus Wiley, former NFL player - on swimming

SHIVAN
10-13-10, 09:42
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcellus_Wiley

http://www.distanceswimchallenge.com/

He was on a local radio sports show this AM talking about his journey to learn how to swim. He conveyed a story about when he was 11 years old, his friend was clowning around and hit him while they were walking by a pool. Wiley didn't know how to swim, and thanked God that he bounced off the bottom and essentially ran his way out of the pool.

"That's not swimming!", said Wiley, "It's just pure luck, and a lot these big NFL guys who can't swim believe that if they fell in, they wouldn't drown because they could get out of the pool, even if they can't swim." He stated how absolutely dangerous this mindset is...

He went on to say that when he first jumped in the pool, as an adult, to take formal swimming lessons, he realized that swimming wasn't easy, and there is a right way and wrong way to do it. You don't just naturally stumble on how to do it. He opined that believing otherwise could be dangerous, and get you killed.

He told the show that even after being an NFL athlete, no small feat of skill, getting in the pool made him feel like he had never done anything athletic in his whole life. He felt helpless, until he was taught the right way to swim.

Everyone believes that they know how to do something well enough, and can probably do it well enough to "get themselves out of it", but in reality, we don't. It's not just swimming.....

While all of his account was pretty enlightening, I couldn't help but remember back to when I took my first self defense oriented pistol and carbine class, and feeling the exact same way as Wiley felt about his adventure with learning to swim.

Cameron
10-13-10, 09:48
Makes me remember the first time I jumped in a pool with rifle, helmet and assault gear and some ****er under the water grabbed me by the boots and dragged me to the bottom... :mad:

Cameron

Littlelebowski
10-13-10, 10:16
Without casting aspersion (not my intention!), as Marine Corps water survival instructor, the African Americans overwhelmingly cannot swim and I'm certain that's who he's referring to. Of course, it's cultural; not genetic, and a generalization. There's always exceptions to the rule.

rubberneck
10-13-10, 10:18
Just a note about Wiley. When Plaxico Burress shot himself Wiley admitted on national tv to carrying an illegally owned handgun without a CCW and that when he decided that it wasn't the smart thing to do he just threw the gun out the window of his car while driving down the road. For having the courage to bring up that irresponsible behavior on tv the Brady bunch gave him an award. While his concern about non swimmers learning to swim is admirable he has shown enough reckless behavior in his personal life that all should know that when listening to him on any subject.

SHIVAN
10-13-10, 10:19
Without casting aspersion (not my intention!), as Marine Corps water survival instructor, the African Americans overwhelmingly cannot swim and I'm certain that's who he's referring to. Of course, it's cultural; not genetic, and a generalization. There's always exceptions to the rule.

In the interview, that is exactly what he said was his motivation with this project. Seven out of 10 blacks can not swim. He stated that he wanted to try and help remove the stigma attached to swimming, in the black community, through his participation in the project above.

I applaud his efforts.

Littlelebowski
10-13-10, 10:20
In the interview, that is exactly what he said was his motivation with this project. Seven out of 10 blacks can not swim. He stated that he wanted to try and help remove the stigma attached to swimming, in the black community, through his participation in the project above.

I applaud his efforts.

That's good stuff right there. Good thread, thank you for posting.

SHIVAN
10-13-10, 10:24
Just a note about Wiley. When Plaxico Burress shot himself Wiley admitted on national tv to carrying an illegally owned handgun without a CCW and that when he decided that it wasn't the smart thing to do he just threw the gun out the window of his car while driving down the road. For having the courage to bring up that irresponsible behavior on tv the Brady bunch gave him an award. While his concern about non swimmers learning to swim is admirable he has shown enough reckless behavior in his personal life that all should know that when listening to him on any subject.

Yep, nobody is perfect. I know I'm not.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-13-10, 11:58

I would have traded him the gun for some swimming lessons.

Moose-Knuckle
10-13-10, 12:37
Wiley admitted on national tv to carrying an illegally owned handgun without a CCW and that when he decided that it wasn't the smart thing to do he just threw the gun out the window of his car while driving down the road. For having the courage to bring up that irresponsible behavior on tv the Brady bunch gave him an award. While his concern about non swimmers learning to swim is admirable he has shown enough reckless behavior in his personal life that all should know that when listening to him on any subject.

"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others". - Orwell

Littlelebowski
10-13-10, 12:45
"All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others". - Orwell

Not an accurate comparison. Him disobeying the law and say, a public official that wants to ban guns carrying are two very different things.

Moose-Knuckle
10-13-10, 12:54
Not an accurate comparison. Him disobeying the law and say, a public official that wants to ban guns carrying are two very different things.

I wasn't comparing Wiley to Brady. I was pointing out how celebs don't have to play by the same rules as the rest of useless eaters.

Littlelebowski
10-13-10, 12:59
I wasn't comparing Wiley to Brady. I was pointing out how celebs don't have to play by the same rules as the rest of useless eaters.

That would be accurate if he has a CCW permit where most others cannot. Is that the case? Otherwise, he's just another NFL player carrying illegally.

Safetyhit
10-13-10, 13:07
...the African Americans overwhelmingly cannot swim and I'm certain that's who he's referring to.

There was just a news story this summer where 6-8 members of one black family all drowned at a picnic after a child fell in a lake and others tried to save him/her. None could swim, yet apparently they were playing in the shallows anyway and one fell off an underwater ledge into the deeper water.

There were survivors, yet for them to watch that family systematically drowning one by one must have been one disturbing thing to witness.

SHIVAN
10-13-10, 13:10
They quoted that story too Safetyhit, and mentioned that six cousins all jumped in trying to save the one, but none of them could swim. Worse still, none of the parents or adults could do anything about it, because they knew they couldn't swim either.

THCDDM4
10-13-10, 13:26

I don't understand how the fact that more black people not being able to swim Vs. White people (I don't know if that assertion is true either...) is considered a "Cultural" thing? Can someone explain this to me please? I'm not trying to start shit or anything, I just really don't understand what is "cultural" about it? Black Culture Vs. White culture? American Vs. African Culture? Please quantify what is specifically different "culturally" in this case that makes one race more predisposed to swimming with greater ease/proficiency than the other.

Wouldn't genetics determine/define ones predisposition to certain cultural patterns as well?

Moose-Knuckle
10-13-10, 14:31
Is that the case? Otherwise, he's just another NFL player carrying illegally.

So he was carrying a handgun illegally, saw the errors of his ways, and threw a handgun out a window of a moving car endangering any one who might happen to be in its flight path. Hopefully some kids didn't find it on the street and shoot themselves or a playmate. Who knows?

He's been hoisted upon the celebrity pedestal so it's okay. In fact he got an award so he's a "hero" that sets an example for the kiddies to follow. It's the same old song and dance.

Back to the topic at hand and the point that I believe the OP was making. Ever see the remake of the movie Man on Fire? There is a scene where Denzel Washington's character "Creasy" is coaching Dakota Fanning "Pita" in the pool before a big swim meet. Pita asks Creasy if he's tuff, Creasy responds by saying "there is no such thing as tuff, only trained and untrained."

The first time I swam a complete lap in a real Olympic size swimming pool I was spent. I already knew how to swim but lacked the stamina. A lot of us know how to "shoot" but how many can sustain our skill set for an extended duration. . .

Littlelebowski
10-13-10, 14:39
So he was carrying a handgun illegally, saw the errors of his ways, and threw a handgun out a window of a moving car endangering any one who might happen to be in its flight path. Hopefully some kids didn't find it on the street and shoot themselves or a playmate. Who knows?

He's been hoisted upon the celebrity pedestal so it's okay. In fact he got an award so he's a "hero" that sets an example for the kiddies to follow. It's the same old song and dance.

Back to the topic at hand and the point that I believe the OP was making. Ever see the remake of the movie Man on Fire? There is a scene where Denzel Washington's character "Creasy" is coaching Dakota Fanning "Pita" in the pool before a big swim meet. Pita asks Creasy if he's tuff, Creasy responds by saying "there is no such thing as tuff, only trained and untrained."

The first time I swam a complete lap in a real Olympic size swimming pool I was spent. I already knew how to swim but lacked the stamina. A lot of us know how to "shoot" but how many can sustain our skill set for an extended duration. . .

Now you're arguing with the media and pop culture.

One of the graded exercises for my marine Corps water survival instructor school was 3600 meters in boots, cammies, flak, deuce gear, canteens with no tops on, and kevlar. The pockets on the cammies were opened :D

dbrowne1
10-13-10, 15:37

5pins
10-13-10, 15:50
I remember having to take a water proofing class in the Army. There were about 30 of us and I would say 10 to 12 were black. The first thing they did was see how many could swim. One by one they had us lower ourselves in the pool and hang on to the side. When they gave us the command we were to let go and swim to the other side. Every single black guy sank like a rock; I have never seen a person sink like that I didn’t think it was possible.

THCDDM4
10-13-10, 15:54
I remember having to take a water proofing class in the Army. There were about 30 of us and I would say 10 to 12 were black. The first thing they did was see how many could swim. One by one they had us lower ourselves in the pool and hang on to the side. When they gave us the command we were to let go and swim to the other side. Every single black guy sank like a rock; I have never seen a person sink like that I didn’t think it was possible.

Reminds me of an episode of "Halfway Home"

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-13-10, 16:34
I don't understand how the fact that more black people not being able to swim Vs. White people (I don't know if that assertion is true either...) is considered a "Cultural" thing? Can someone explain this to me please? I'm not trying to start shit or anything, I just really don't understand what is "cultural" about it? Black Culture Vs. White culture? American Vs. African Culture? Please quantify what is specifically different "culturally" in this case that makes one race more predisposed to swimming with greater ease/proficiency than the other.

Wouldn't genetics determine/define ones predisposition to certain cultural patterns as well?

My understanding of it is that due to societal issues, inner city blacks do not have the opportunity to use pools. It would be interesting to see if controlling for income and location, is there a difference between blacks and whites. I don't know if beaches and suntanning are closely related but that could also have an impact.

Had a black guy try out for swim team in high school, and he had never swam before. He was pure muscle and sank like a rock. He eventually became a pretty good swimmer. He was like a shark, he had to be moving to stay afloat.

I twice passed the Red Cross (?) life guard class. As a sophomore in HS, I was a life guard for the summer program. The kids come out for the first day, first session and we just let them use the pool. Kid jumps in the deep end and just starts to thrash trying to stay above water. I couldn't believe that someone was trying to drown on me in the first 45 seconds of my first day as a lifeguard. Grabbed the Shepherd Crook, scouped him over the side and pulled him out. Never had to worry about what I would do if a kid were drowning. The kid was black, but I don't think that had anything to do with it outside of percentages of swimmers.