PDA

View Full Version : Electricity after the fact.

Winnerkd
10-13-10, 11:14
Hello,

My friend and I were discussing the event of a massive electromagnetic event striking Earth from space (as in coming from above the Earth, not on its surface), the origin of the event was not an important topic it could be a man made device or a natural event. The ''event'' as I will call it would knock out electrical grids and electronic devices the world over (that are not protected)!

The major question that came up was, what is a reliable sustainable energy source in the event of such a catastrophe. We thought we had solved our problems when we came to the idea of solar energy (granted, it would not provide the same power used today, but enough to have light and keep any important equipment on) then we realized... the solar panel system most likely wouldn't survive the actual event. We also tossed around the idea of gas powered generators, then realized that the gas will run out quite quickly if their is a panic, the public response is a variable that will be somewhat difficult to predict. So I ask you, what are your ideas?

p.s. I realize I stated this event would knock out electrical devices the world over so ''why do you need electricity to power nothing''. The reason being small devices can be repaired much faster than a nationwide power grid, and some devices would survive if they were protected (purposely or just by chance alone).

ucrt
10-13-10, 11:32
An ElectroMagnetic Pulse (EMP) would wipe out all electronics excepted those that are shielded. And actually, the military is about the only entity that has some shielded electronics.

So, your Briggs & Stratton engine has electronics, so does every post-1975?? car (even though the pre-1975 coils would get ruined), solar panel has to convert DC to AC electronically, and so on.

I work at a power house, it would be dead in the water. We have spare parts for common problems not a massive destruction of the electronics. I'd figure we'd probably scrap the unit if we had to replace everything electronic because it would probably be cheaper to just buy another plant.

Alex V
10-14-10, 12:15
sure you would not be able to turn on your laptop and log onto M4C, but you could use electricity to run lights in the house, heat water run small power tools and so on.

Lights would be easy since a regular bulb will run on DC power. Even if the inverter from your solar panels was friend, you can wire solar panels to power a light bulb directly through DC current.

A heating coil will also run on DC current so you may be able to heat something or cook if you lack fosil fuels.

Anything involving a rotating [stater & rotor] electric motor will require conversion to AC and I have no idea how to do that w/o an DC-AC inverter of some sort.

Aside for solar, hydroelectric will still be able to generate electricity, so if you could setup an electric motor to be rotated by someking of water wheel at a local stream/river/brook/small waterfall you may be able to generate electricity that way. Not sure how you would be able to control the current/voltage output tho. Maybe by controlling the volume/speed of water that goes through the wheel?

You could do the same with wind. Find a old prop from a plane and attach it to an electric motor, stick it on a pole high up on your roof, making sure it was weather vane into the wind and make power that one. Once again, not sure how you could controll output without somekind of generator/inverter which would probobly be fried from the EMP.

You could use steam as well in the same way, but making it may be tough with a shortage of fuel. Maybe burn wood, but how long will that last as well?

EchoMirage
10-14-10, 13:15
after reading more threads/articles on EMPs then i can remember, the general consensus is that more things will survive then you think. depending on the type of EMP produced, range, direction, etc etc, its more then likely not going to be a complete blackout, like in the end of escape from LA. any kind of metal shielding will help protect some things. plus, any carbed stick vehicle can simply be pushed started.

until it actually happens, no one really knows for sure what the aftermath of a massive/multiple EMP will be like. just speaking from what ive read, including some scientific reports on it, its really not as bad as everything thinks it will be.

try here
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=59417

VanceW
10-15-10, 05:52
Chances are that a solar flare will be more plausible, and has hit not that long ago. Remember the big east coast black out ?

Being in the gulf coast area, and having had the joy of Ike visiting not that long ago, I can assure you gas will be extremely hard to get as most folks will have the same mindset. We had long lines down here after Ike, and very few gas stations were open, due to the power outage.

I think I'd be more inclined to go Wind Turbine. I know that if I could afford one, I'd have one in my back yard.

Also, keep back up equipment that doesn't need electricity. My propane Coleman stove keep us going with nice hot meals and coffee in the morning. A good bar-b-que pit will also come in handy for cooking and such.

Hand cranked radio's are really popular down here and I'm sure that your local sporting good's store that sells camping gear should have them in stock and they really aren't that expensive.

rat31465
10-15-10, 08:09
Electronics can be shielded from such events if they are placed inside a Farady Cage......Not all that hard to construct and if your fear is EMP's, then this might be your way to go.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage