PDA

View Full Version : Ultra dot:

babarracing
10-14-10, 00:29
:confused: Would anyone be so kind as to inform of an"Ultra Dots" reliability under extreme conditions? The multiple reticules seem to defy the Kiss principal. I am however retired and cost is of importance, but this is not intended for a range gun,but the real deal if a old geezer with 20/40 vision or perhaps worse now at 64 years old requires it. seeing the front sight post is no longer a viable option for me:big_boss: Someone with no axe to grinde please help me!

blfuller
10-14-10, 12:02
I have a 30mm Ultradot 4 mounted to my Mini-14 and it has worked well for me. It is mounted to an ultimak scout handguard. I have not used it in any extreme conditions but it works fine for me with both eyes open. They have a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

I have also owned a 1" ultradot which I had mounted to a .357 mag revolver. I have since sold it because of the added bulk. But there have been no problems with either of them.
http://blfuller.ptera.net/mini_lores.jpg

ccoker
10-15-10, 10:28
They aren't popular for ARs and the tactical crowd, but they are well respected for handgun competition and hunting

I have used the 30mm and 1" on 44 magnums with no issue

dee loo
10-15-10, 20:40
I think they are tougher than most non tactical red dots. I have a 1" diameter Ultra dot slide mounted one on my 1911 set up for bullseye target shooting (Camp Perry style). It has help up well so far. The gun has 20,000 rds through it with this scope riding the slide back and forth. It is the favored scope of bullseye shooters including the military teams. The actual red dot is much crisper and round than any aimpoint.

Rezarf2
10-15-10, 23:43
What gun will you mount it on?

Another budget friendly company that has produced a good product is primary arms. I have one of their micro dots with lots of rounds down range and no shift in zero or malfunctions of any kind. This is on a 556 carbine.

babarracing
10-19-10, 17:19
I was gonna through it on a picatinney rail on the rear sight block of an SKS as at 64 years old I absolutely see several front sight posts on the end of my 20SKS. This will not be a Range gun so no depot maintenance for a extended period of time is a major criterion even ranked before cost in my mind. Although I am cash poor.:sarcastic:

kartoffel
10-19-10, 19:20
I've been using a 30mm Ultradot on a Ruger Mk III bullseye pistol for a couple years now. The optical quality is top notch. Holding it up next to an Aimpoint T-1, the 4 MOA dots on both look just the same in term of crispness and lack of "bloom".

An Ultradot might dent or leak water before an Aimpoint, but recoil certainly won't hurt it. In terms of zero retention and optical quality it's top tier equipment.