PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a Dump Pouch.**Eagle SAS Dump Pouch Reviewed!**

BushmasterFanBoy
07-20-07, 20:11
I'm looking at getting a dump pouch, preferably a thigh mounted one. What's everyones suggestion? I'd be using it to carry empty AR mags, and was hoping to find one that I can stuff 7 mags into.

For the review, look on down the page.

Cold Zero
07-20-07, 20:22
Probably the two most commonly used pouches are the Maxpedition Rolly polly and the C.S.M. Dump pouch. Both will hold 7 mags.

GunLovinTexan
07-20-07, 21:51
realizing fully well this is not what you asked for but it will hold 6 magazines on your thigh. I believe it will also perform better in a tactical environment, being easier to reload quickly and such. take or leave my suggestion either way I was hoping help.

https://tacticalassaultgearstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=170

if 7 is a must I would recommend the Rolly Polly or CSM as suggested earlier. this is the one I would recommend but it holds 8

http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=508&CatID=84&SubCatID=77

Rob

BushmasterFanBoy
07-20-07, 22:21
realizing fully well this is not what you asked for but it will hold 6 magazines on your thigh. I believe it will also perform better in a tactical environment, being easier to reload quickly and such. take or leave my suggestion either way I was hoping help.

https://tacticalassaultgearstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=170

if 7 is a must I would recommend the Rolly Polly or CSM as suggested earlier. this is the one I would recommend but it holds 8

http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=508&CatID=84&SubCatID=77

Rob

8 is better than 7! I wanna have the most room available as I don't think I'll be able to line all my mags up nicely for an advertising picture like many sold.

Pat_Rogers
07-21-07, 07:11
Mounting a dump pouch on your thigh is terrific if you are standing on a square range stylin' and profiling, but the drawbacks will become readily apparent the instant you hae to move or use positions other then standing.

I have seen six people this year 86 the roly whatevers for the CSM gear dump pouch (which is a USMC issue item). It is the best of the dump pouches available.

Mike makes great stuff. Plus he is a real deal guy.
www.csmgear.com

Be cautious on how much you cram into it, or any other piece of gear.

BushmasterFanBoy
07-21-07, 19:12
Thanks Pat. I think I'll go with the SAS Eagle pouch, it can also mount onto my chest rig. I'll give it a try out at the range and see how it works set up differently in different positions.

GunLovinTexan
07-21-07, 19:17
Vest were made to carry rifle plates and all of your MISC stuff.

I would recommend this if it were me, I actually own this and can say it is very decent quality.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/prd_detail.asp?ProdID=427&CatID=84&SubCatID=77

I know you dont like flaps but they are there for a reason, After I grab the first mag I leave it open and i havnt had one fall out yet.

Rob

TimP
07-21-07, 20:11
http://www.originalsoegear.com/spentmag.html

BushmasterFanBoy
07-22-07, 21:01
Placed an order for the SAS dump pouch along with some other gear.:D

ISAIAH53
07-23-07, 07:46
I used a Maxpedition RollyPolly at one of Pat's classes a month ago. It seemed OK at the start, but it seemed to loosen up too much - and it wasn't deep enough. I don't think the intent of a dump pouch is to dump one's mags on the ground, so I will likely replace it with one from CSM.

Pat_Rogers
07-23-07, 08:39
Oh yes, I remember..:D
I have used a lot of the dump pouches on the market. The originalArtie Ellis was a great one, the copy Recce Gear was to but delivery issues killed that.
The CSM seems to be a standard for many, but whatever works for you is going to satisfy your needs.
Until you decide to reconfigure your gear again...:rolleyes:

I'm going to have a limited number of the CSM dump pouches for sale at class from now on. It may help people somewhat.

Steve
07-23-07, 09:08
The CSM, Recce, and now the model from Bill jeans, are on my kits, and a second CSM on the way.

Rolly polly well...... no thanks.... lost mags and gear from it while moving and shooting and going into different prone postions.

davemcdonald
07-23-07, 10:30
Pat
If you have a minute can you give the difference between the CSM and the TAG dump pouch. I can get the pouch at a great price but I don't mind paying a little more for quality. One thing CSM has going for it is the MC option which TAG does not offer at this time.

Thanks
Dave

CarlosDJackal
07-23-07, 21:07
FWIW, I'm with Pat on this. I once used a borrowed thigh dump pouch (not sure who made it). After a couple of hours of movement drills, I could not wait for the next break so I can get rid of it because it beat the crap out of my thighs.

Go with the recommended CSM (http://www.csmgear.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=droppch&cat=10&page=1&search=&since=&status=) or TAG dump pouch (http://www.optactical.com/tagdumppouch.html).

Good luck!!

Harv
07-23-07, 21:08
Pat Roger's

I'm going to have a limited number of the CSM dump pouches for sale at class from now on. It may help people somewhat.

Oh Sure..... now your gonna have a few for sale......Good timing.....
I could have skipped the Chinese buffet and got a dump pouch...... ;)

BushmasterFanBoy
07-25-07, 21:39
This dump pouch is very nice. It works good as a thigh rig. And I took Pat's Advice and tested it in several positions. It is very nice, thankfully, it has some sort of stiffened material in the rim that keeps the top opening uniform, even during different positions. It works great for me, no complaints at all. I've only had it today though, but if you have read my DBT chest rig review, you know I'll update it as it wears.

Now, for the actual construction of the pouch. It's pretty large, I'd have no difficulty fitting all 7 of my mags into it. The "slit" top opening is lined with velcro and two snaps that are very secure. Upon the need to open, you simply take the "slit" lid grab a tab on it, pull it open, and voila, you have an open slit to insert your mags into. The opening stays securely opened, almost as well as it is securely closed. There is a small patch of velcro on top of the lid, so that when it is "peeled" back to open, this velcro engages a separate patch on the main portion of the top lid. Very nice.

Also, the lid can be fully opened by means of a zipper running all around the top lid, its concealed by an overhang of fabric, so thats a good feature as well. I never use this though, as the "slit" lid is easy enough to reach into that I can recover any mags in it quickly.

At the bottom of the pouch are three large drain holes, all of them securely stitched. The pouch attaches by multiple means, There are a LOT of ways this thing can be attached to a belt, chest rig, whatever, it can fit on it. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure how you could use each of them, its just that daunting. Right now, I'm using two thin fabric, as well as a very hefty support to hang it roughly 4 inches from my belt, this puts it at just the right hight of my (somewhat) high riding 6004.

Pat_Rogers
07-25-07, 21:43
Pat
If you have a minute can you give the difference between the CSM and the TAG dump pouch. I can get the pouch at a great price but I don't mind paying a little more for quality. One thing CSM has going for it is the MC option which TAG does not offer at this time.

Thanks
Dave

Sorry Dave, missed this. CSM was the original (and now USMC issue) and tag is....well, a copy.

I have a bunch of CSM. I don't have any tag. FWIW...

ISAIAH53
07-26-07, 07:46
Oh yes, I remember..:D
I have used a lot of the dump pouches on the market. The originalArtie Ellis was a great one, the copy Recce Gear was to but delivery issues killed that.
The CSM seems to be a standard for many, but whatever works for you is going to satisfy your needs.
Until you decide to reconfigure your gear again...:rolleyes:

You could have sold one by lunch time on TD1 in Albion.

Pat_Rogers
07-26-07, 08:16
Yeah, Roger that. I don't like selling things, but as has been pounded into my brain housing group by Mike, it is providing a further service.
Anyway, CSM pouches in several flavors, CSM Mini Kit bags, hats, shirts and decals......