PDA

View Full Version : Who Has A GLOCK 19?

dialM4murder
07-20-07, 20:48
How do you like your G19? Pros, Cons? I think I wanna get one.

300magnum
07-20-07, 21:36
I have one.

I also own a Ruger MK II, Colt Combat Commander and a SIG 226.

The Glock will be the last one to go if I had to have only one handgun.

The ammo is cheaper and there are a lot of very good self defense rounds out there too.

Cheap practice, cheap mags, lightweight (compared to some), very concealable too.

The trigger took some getting used to, but that is what practice is all about! ;)

I would suggest one, what do you plan on using your handgun for?

dialM4murder
07-20-07, 21:40
one, what do you plan on using your handgun for?

concealed carry

karmapolice
07-20-07, 21:43
I have a glock 19 and love it, most the people I know and work with carry a glock 19 some carry 1911's mostly its glock 19s, a few 1911's and some times for lite carry a .38 snub nose.

Rana
07-20-07, 21:46

Silly Glock Owners..:rolleyes:

My latest entry, with video. Check it out.

http://rockoutwithmyglockout.blogspot.com/

The G19 is Gaston's best creation IMHO. It fills a lot of niche's from conceal carry to duty use.

Ammo, parts, & accessories are inexpensive and easy to find.

You don't need to be a smith to work on it either.

ST911
07-20-07, 22:58

The G19 is probably the most reliable, durable, and size-efficient fighting 9mm manufactured today.

I have several. They are the most popular guns at a majority of events I attend. A hands-down favorite of most of my lady shooters as well.

Cons? They tend to be in short supply. They are also only produced now in that #$*%&*$ FG/R frame.

Robb Jensen
07-20-07, 23:09
If I could only own 1 Glock it would be the 19.

hp35
07-20-07, 23:18
ditto gotm4.

Low Drag
07-20-07, 23:21
I've got a Glock 36 with night sights and in great shape that I'd trade for a Glock 19......

Don Robison
07-20-07, 23:23
I prefer the 17, but carry the 19 quite a bit. If I could just own one, it would probably be a 19.

Lawdog537
07-20-07, 23:26
I have two Glock 19's and love them. After carrying several other guns everyday over the years, and owning about one of everything (sometimes two or three), I have settled on carrying a 9mm. I do not feel undergunned at all with the new loads out there. The Glock 19 is a perfect balance of size and capacity. It is GREAT handling and easy to conceal. I think it is the best 9mm platform out there.

Evan_O
07-21-07, 01:50
I’m a died in wool 1911 shooter. I carry one every day both on duty and off. It has been messaged by Mr. Chuck Rogers and is my pride and joy. Now if my Sheriff decided tomorrow that he would no longer allow the use of the 1911 I would pull out my G19, dust it off, throw it in my duty holster, and not feel under gunned at all. Just my 2 cents.

Rob96
07-21-07, 03:39
For me there are two handguns to use, the 1911 and the G19. I really don't think it gets any better than the G19 for a fighting 9mm.

M4arc
07-21-07, 05:59
I have one and I'm planning on picking up another. For me it's the perfect gun: small enough to carry concealed, 15+1 capacity, and reliable to a fault.

If I could only have one gun it would be a G19.

dialM4murder
07-21-07, 06:15
How can I get rid of the mushy trigger? Id like to keep the same trigger weight, but make it crisp so it breaks like a M&P or a XD trigger.

dialM4murder
07-21-07, 06:18
I prefer the 17, but carry the 19 quite a bit. If I could just own one, it would probably be a 19.

I too like the 17, but I already have a full size M&P 9mm, and a Sigpro 2022 9mm. So Im going for something a little smaller. I have a Bersa Thunder 380 as well, but I wanna keep my ammo uniform. Plus 9mm gives better performance over the 380, not to mention 380 is more expensive.

JohnJak
07-21-07, 06:59
I carry the G19 in the winter time and my Kahr CW9 in the summer, both concealed.

Hawkeye
07-21-07, 08:09
As mentioned, the 19 is probably the best incarnation of the Glock, and arguably, the best overall 9mm fighting platform out there. Its a great weapon. That said, the M&P 9 is very close in size to the 19, coming in just a shade larger than the 19, and a shade under a 17. With a bit more time on my M&P 9, it may be a close call between the two.

C4IGrant
07-21-07, 08:21
I have owned a G19 for many years. After shooting the S&W M&P, I am selling it.

Before you buy a Glock, make sure to look at the M&P.

C4

dialM4murder
07-21-07, 08:42
I have owned a G19 for many years. After shooting the S&W M&P, I am selling it.

Before you buy a Glock, make sure to look at the M&P.

C4

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=65072&postcount=16

;)

C4IGrant
07-21-07, 09:13
https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=65072&postcount=16

;)

The G17 and M&P are not the same size. So if you want something smaller than the standard M&P, then look at their compact model.

S&W said that their 5" M&P's are not far out.

C4

Hawkeye
07-21-07, 09:29
I agree. The M&P is slightly smaller than a 17, and only a hair larger than a 19.

RAM Engineer
07-21-07, 11:22
I just traded in my M&P9c on another G-19. I'm keeping my fullsize M&P9 (for now), but it is getting harder to justify it. The only advantage it has over my 19 is 2 rounds and a slight accuracy edge. The 19 is plenty accurate, easier to conceal, more comfortable in MY hands, and has the slide stop located where I don't hit it as easy as the M&P. With the Vickers/TD mag release, and 10-8 rear sight coming out for the 19...well I like it more and more.

M4Guru
07-21-07, 16:36
Who Has A GLOCK 19?

Who doesn't?:D

If I had to pick only one gun, I'd take a G19 hands down over any other firearm. It's the real reason they call it "Glock perfection".

It's a perfect mix of concealability and firepower, ammo is cheap and plentiful, holsters and mags and again cheap and available, and its nearly impossible to break. Whats not to love?

baffle Stack
07-21-07, 16:46
I just traded in my M&P9c on another G-19. I'm keeping my fullsize M&P9 (for now), but it is getting harder to justify it. The only advantage it has over my 19 is 2 rounds and a slight accuracy edge. The 19 is plenty accurate, easier to conceal, more comfortable in MY hands, and has the slide stop located where I don't hit it as easy as the M&P. With the Vickers/TD mag release, and 10-8 rear sight coming out for the 19...well I like it more and more.

Tell us more. This is the 1st I've heard of it.

RAM Engineer
07-21-07, 19:43
UPDATES:
Slated for late 2007 development are sights for the Glock and Springfield XD series.

from here:

http://www.10-8performance.com/id14.html

SHIVAN
07-21-07, 21:23
Where is Lumpy for the "thinking man's Glock" comment??

Of course I have one....

I need another one to make into an exclusive use suppressor host.

bullitt5172
07-21-07, 21:57
For me there are two handguns to use, the 1911 and the G19. I really don't think it gets any better than the G19 for a fighting 9mm.

I see we think a like, I have four 1911's and a G19 in the safe. I keep getting more 1911's but I'll never need another Glock, it's a perfect firearm.

Rob96
07-22-07, 03:41
I see we think a like, I have four 1911's and a G19 in the safe. I keep getting more 1911's but I'll never need another Glock, it's a perfect firearm.

So you are as dimented as me:confused: :p

TacDoc
07-22-07, 07:00
How can I get rid of the mushy trigger? Id like to keep the same trigger weight, but make it crisp so it breaks like a M&P or a XD trigger.

This worked for ME:
NY1, 3.5lb connector and this: http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

Its not a "magic" upgrade and it will not feel as a match 1911 trigger, but if you dry-fire enough (many hours in front of a TV, for starters rent a season of 24) you will find the "sweet spot".

Check out the shooting tips here: http://glockparts.com/

Just a pic of my G19 when new. Now I've fired about 1500 rounds downrange without a single hiccup. Not "match" accurate but enough for a gunfight to avoid a carjacking ;)
http://i15.tinypic.com/6gjazq0.jpg

rob_s
07-22-07, 07:11
With $6k worth of 1911s sitting in the safe, and after recently buying a G19 for my girlfriend, I keep wondering why I have 3 big, heavy, steel guns in the safe instead of 3 small, light, plastic guns in the safe and $4.5k in my pocket. :confused:

:D

Bushytale
07-22-07, 12:36
Nice place setting TacDoc!

;) Billy

Linea_de_Fuego
07-22-07, 15:26
With $6k worth of 1911s sitting in the safe, and after recently buying a G19 for my girlfriend, I keep wondering why I have 3 big, heavy, steel guns in the safe instead of 3 small, light, plastic guns in the safe and $4.5k in my pocket. :confused: :D

The answer has to be 1911 LUV.

JohnN
07-22-07, 20:10
I have switched from a Glock 19 to a full size M&P9 with over 3500 rds with no malfunctions; I don't expect to go back. Being a 1911 guy for years made it easier to shoot the M&P then the 19 anyway.

Bulldog1967
07-22-07, 22:21
I have switched from a Glock 19 to a full size M&P9 with over 3500 rds with no malfunctions; I don't expect to go back. Being a 1911 guy for years made it easier to shoot the M&P then the 19 anyway.

Yup, sold my G19/21/17 for a M&P9c, 45, and TWO full size 9mms.

dialM4murder
07-23-07, 08:16
Yes I do love my M&P as well.

blackscot
07-23-07, 10:42
+1 what many above have said.

My two most prominent local gun stores say the G19 is their single most popular model of all handguns.

I have bought/sold/traded an embarassing -- just embarassing -- number of handguns over the past 20 years. By any meaningful, hard-look assessment of my personal defense needs, the G19 is clearly the overall best.

FlyAndFight
07-23-07, 11:59
It's already been said many times but the G19 is pretty much perfect all around.

Sidewinder6
07-25-07, 12:05
I am an old 1911 guy who graduated to H&K P7's for size and ease of use. I broke down a couple years ago and bought a Gen 3 19 and love it. It is one of my carry weapons now. Very easy to shoot, maintain and its reliable.

SigFanWA
07-25-07, 13:38
My first gun purchase is my G19 Gen II. Still love it after all these years.

Looey
07-26-07, 23:46
Like it has been said already.
if i could only own one gun and one gun only, it would be a Glock 19.
when i am not carrying a G19 i am carrying a Kahr K9, but i will say that as much as i love Glocks you can not replace the feel and joy of shooting a good 1911.
but as a carry piece my Glock and Kahr are the ones that i carry

M16A152
07-28-07, 01:19
This worked for ME:
NY1, 3.5lb connector and this: http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

Its not a "magic" upgrade and it will not feel as a match 1911 trigger, but if you dry-fire enough (many hours in front of a TV, for starters rent a season of 24) you will find the "sweet spot".

Check out the shooting tips here: http://glockparts.com/

I hope you will allow a new member to wade in with his $0.02 worth of info. I own a plethora of Glocks, 9mm, 10 mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 357 Sig, and 45 GAP. This said the Glock 19 is my favorite for summer concealed carry, the winter time brings out the Glock 36 (45 ACP).

TacDoc's suggestion does make for a great trigger pull. I had this set up, without the polishing, on almost all of my Glocks. I started this practice around 1996, however in the past 8 or so months I have been told and read that using the 3.5# connector on a carry self defense weapon could cause you major problems in court, if you have to use it to defend yourself. The problem is that Glock states in their literature that the 3.5# connector is meant only competition use only and should never be used in a Glock used for self defense.

Supposedly this warning by Glock could be use, in court, to show you were reckless and that you performed a dangerous/ unsafe alteration by using a target only part in a defensive weapon.

This is just offered as food for thought, I have changed out the 3.5# to a stock 5.0# connector in my carry guns, but I sure miss that trigger pull of the 3.5# connector and the NY-1 (8#) trigger spring. Oh yes, the NY-2 trigger spring is 12# and my oldest son loves it with a stock connector for his Glock 31 duty pistol. He works armored trucks making deliveries from The Fed. Reserve to local banks. His theory is if he ever has to use if no one will be able to say he fired by mistake.

Sorry, for being so long winded.

Stay Safe

rob_s
07-28-07, 05:30
I have been told and read that using the 3.5# connector on a carry self defense weapon could cause you major problems in court, if you have to use it to defend yourself. The problem is that Glock states in their literature that the 3.5# connector is meant only competition use only and should never be used in a Glock used for self defense.

Supposedly this warning by Glock could be use, in court, to show you were reckless and that you performed a dangerous/ unsafe alteration by using a target only part in a defensive weapon.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me a case of this happening. Courts love riding old precedent and shy away from setting it. As such, I've been looking for someone that can point me to a legal precedent for the above and have yet to be able to find it.

dialM4murder
07-28-07, 06:55
Im torn between the M&P compact and the Glock 19.

BlastinCaps
07-28-07, 08:20
I had owned a Glock 19 for a few months and had shot probably 2500 rounds through it before the "problems" started. Between Jams, stove piping and short cycling I returned my G19 for a complete check and overhaul. Came back clean and I shot probably another 1200 rounds before the same failures started again. I got fed up with the boat anchor and traded it for a Kimber Warrior in .45 ACP. Ive shot over 13000 rounds so far and not one problem "except" for feeding of remanufactured lead bullets. So if you are just carrying the G19 and not shooting it much then you "might" be ok. But if you shoot it at the range a lot AND carry it you might want to think about a differant carry gun for reliability.
If your not into .45s then the next best thing I would recommend would definately be the M&P.

Robb Jensen
07-28-07, 08:40
You should quantify 'jams'.

'Stove pipes' & 'short cycling' are from limp-wristing and/or weak ammo.

BlastinCaps
07-28-07, 08:52
Well, Ive used thousads of rounds through the G19 including Speer Lawman,Gold Dot, Winchester, Remington, etc. So as far as the type of Ammo is concerned, that wasnt it. And as far as "limp wristed shooting". That excuse was given to me for the problems with the gun by a local gun dealer. And thats all it was "an excuse" for a gun he sold me that malfunctioned. I've been shooting all kinds of firearms for over 30 years. That Glock was the only weapon that ever did that to me. I suppose that "limp wristing" also caused the extractor to blow out of the side of the weapon also during one trip to the range. Either way, I understand your defending the Glock, Im just giving my opinion on MY experiences with the G19. And im far from being "limp wristed"! lol.:p

MX5
07-28-07, 09:44
I've been, and remain, a 1911 fan for over 25 years. Glock has a decent product that will serve you well, especially in 9mm caliber. For the past few years I've been shooting the G19 more and more, to the point where it has become my primary range and carry weapon. I will say that the G19 can be a very effective fighting tool and has several advantages and features that make it a very good choice for my use and it is well worth considering by others. Understand that there are many other good choices as well.

For the G19, quality barrels are readily available for various tasks: threaded for suppressors, land/groove rifling for lead use, Gemtech yellow inert barrel for hands-on/force on force instruction. Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion with and without suppressor makes for inexpensive practice of techniques, muscle memory repetition and varmint control. Night sights, white lights, holsters and spare parts are readily available.

For concealed carry I recommend leaving the trigger as it came from the factory. There is considerable legal precedent about altering safety devices on everything: guns, lawnmowers, motor vehicles, aircraft, watercraft, machinery, fuel dispensers, tools, electronics - it's endless and can be your worst nightmare in legal liability litigation. One thing that is certain is that it will be expensive regardless of the venue, object in question or outcome of your defense. The cases are too numerous to reiterate here. To those that want to argue otherwise, I'd suggest you look at their occupation/career, then ask how many hours they spent in litigated legal liability matters in the last year alone. This is a path better left untraveled in my opinion, based on decades of first hand personal experience in hundreds of litigated matters expending thousands of hours in numerous venues. Alteration to safeties can be defensible, but is extremely expensive and not foolproof in our legal system. In my line of work I deal with legal liability issues 100% of the time with 25% spent in courtrooms. 75% never get to the courtroom, because they go through negotiation, arbitration and court ordered mediation - all of which are expensive, frustrating and time consuming. For range use, competition, plinking, etc. it is less of a concern, as long as nothing ever happens in those activities to take you into the legal arena. I'm not dismissing or condemning those activities or alterations for those purposes. I'm saying the dangers are all too real when it is a defensive action and there is resultant personal injury, disfiguring, loss of earning ability and loss of life. Your money would be better spent beforehand on ammunition, professional training and practice.

Please understand that the above is my personal opinion based on my usage, testing, training and observation - this is all first hand experience. Some of my Glocks are altered and some are not, depending on intended purpose and I can defend my choices in court if need be. I own and use all of the above-mentioned barrels and items. The last time I was with LAV in a training setting, he explained to his students that he felt the Glock 9mm was the best choice for a general usage fighting blaster. He was using a G17 at that time. YMMV. Good luck in your decision, you have many choices to consider.

Hawkeye
07-28-07, 11:31
I'm still waiting for someone to show me a case of this happening. Courts love riding old precedent and shy away from setting it. As such, I've been looking for someone that can point me to a legal precedent for the above and have yet to be able to find it.

I have been asking for legit cases of this happening as well, and much like the fear of using something like an AR for home defense, no one has been able to show me a clear case yet. Of all the State Attorney's I used to work with/around, and a personal friend whom I helped get elected as a Circuit Court Judge, none have said its an issue. Your either in a legit shoot or your not. I admit, it may just be a local thing, but around here, things like this are a non issue.

jmart
07-28-07, 12:06
I have been asking for legit cases of this happening as well, and much like the fear of using something like an AR for home defense, no one has been able to show me a clear case yet. Of all the State Attorney's I used to work with/around, and a personal friend whom I helped get elected as a Circuit Court Judge, none have said its an issue. Your either in a legit shoot or your not. I admit, it may just be a local thing, but around here, things like this are a non issue.

Criminal vs civil.......

jmart
07-28-07, 12:09
For range use, competition, plinking, etc. it is less of a concern, as long as nothing ever happens in those activities to take you into the legal arena. I'm not dismissing or condemning those activities or alterations for those purposes. I'm saying the dangers are all too real when it is a defensive action and there is resultant personal injury, disfiguring, loss of earning ability and loss of life. Your money would be better spent beforehand on ammunition, professional training and practice.

How does the legal system treat a situation where a stock, match-grade sidearm is used? Say a SA or Kimber that has a factory installed trigger job that pulls at a match weight? Or a custom where the builder builds a 3.5 lb trigger? Do these present problems?

The 3.5 connector/NY1 trigger springs yeilds a pull that is still much heavier than a factory match trigger.

Hawkeye
07-28-07, 12:30
Criminal vs civil.......

Neither one flys here.

jmart
07-28-07, 12:50
?.....................

Cameron
07-28-07, 12:51
Glock 19... I Glock so nice I bought one twice!

Sidewinder6
07-28-07, 16:42
How does the legal system treat a situation where a stock, match-grade sidearm is used? Say a SA or Kimber that has a factory installed trigger job that pulls at a match weight? Or a custom where the builder builds a 3.5 lb trigger? Do these present problems?

The 3.5 connector/NY1 trigger springs yeilds a pull that is still much heavier than a factory match trigger.

I am NOT a lawyer, but have been around many street shootings in my past life and cant see where the internals on a weapon would come back to haunt you in a rightous shooting. The circumstances that might bring this up, would be a negligent shooting, or accidental discharge where you said, I pulled the trigger once and the gun discharged twice. One other might be if the weapon were to hit the deck and let loose and in each of these situations, a person was hit by a round.

This is not the case for Police related shootings, where the weapon and ammo are legislated by the department. Whole new set of circumstances. Routine forensics in that case would come back and haunt an officer who diverted from the letter of department regulations.

Test rounds will be shot at the lab and Im thinking thats about it. (If there are any forensic examiners here, it would be nice to hear if that has changed from the past.)

Used to be, you take a weapon in as evidence, the investigators send it off and request what questions they would like answered from the lab. This submittal goes to a busy lab so they wont do more than what is SOP. Investigators usually just need to know that THE weapon they have placed in evidence, matches THE rounds which are dug out of the reciepient and placed in a little salad dish :D

In a rightous shooting, your weapon may be returned at the conclusion of the investigation and should be retrieved.

Off topic discussion but a subject that is bantered about quite a bit.

On a personal level, most all of my handguns have been modified and if that helped ME in a life and death situation, I will wear that like a badge of honor.

Robb Jensen
07-28-07, 19:23
Well, Ive used thousads of rounds through the G19 including Speer Lawman,Gold Dot, Winchester, Remington, etc. So as far as the type of Ammo is concerned, that wasnt it. And as far as "limp wristed shooting". That excuse was given to me for the problems with the gun by a local gun dealer. And thats all it was "an excuse" for a gun he sold me that malfunctioned. I've been shooting all kinds of firearms for over 30 years. That Glock was the only weapon that ever did that to me. I suppose that "limp wristing" also caused the extractor to blow out of the side of the weapon also during one trip to the range. Either way, I understand your defending the Glock, Im just giving my opinion on MY experiences with the G19. And im far from being "limp wristed"! lol.:p

Limp wristing isn't a question of your manhood/lifestyle.

Glocks need an aggressive grip as they're chambered for 9mm NATO (aka 9mm+P and +P+) if you don't the pistol will move too soon and the slide will catch the empty on it's forward travel.

I've fired over 100 Glock 19s and have been shooting since 1975 but have never had a Glock 19 'stove-pipe'. I've never seen a Glock 19 malfunction that wasn't due to weak ammo, limp wristing or improper lubing (or pocket lint that made it into the chamber). Since 1987 In my own guns I've put over 50K rounds through 3 different-G17s about 20K through 2 different-19s, 5K through 2 different G26s and about 10K through 2 different-G21s and 5K through 1-G20, 12K through 1-G31 and 2 different-G32s (and that's just Glocks) and have had very few things wear out/break along the way with Glocks. The things that did fail were trigger springs, slide lock lever springs, recoil springs, recoil spring assemblies, firing pin/striker springs and locking blocks in that order. YMMV and that's fine. We can agree to disagree, I can only tell you of my experience and knowledge, you might know more that I............who knows?

trio
07-28-07, 20:14
i dont own a G19 anymore...at close to six and a half feet tall, and three and a half bills, i consider the G17 to be my G19....and so I own 2 G17s.....I have no problem concealing a G17 if I wanted to because of my size....if i were, erm, more "normal" sized, it would be a G19....

BlastinCaps
07-29-07, 09:11
I can tell you Gotm4 that I definately do not know more than you but I was just giving MY experience with the 19. I have a Sig 229 in .357 Sig and have no problems with it and I consider that a more powerful round than the 9mm NATO at +p variances. And as I said before I had shot over 2500 rounds through it with no problems, but after that is when I had the problems.
And as far as manhood/lifestyle all is good. But I dont believe it to be that problem.
Take Care and good shootin
Bob

David Thomas
07-29-07, 15:31
I can tell you Gotm4 that I definately do not know more than you but I was just giving MY experience with the 19. I have a Sig 229 in .357 Sig and have no problems with it and I consider that a more powerful round than the 9mm NATO at +p variances. And as I said before I had shot over 2500 rounds through it with no problems, but after that is when I had the problems.
And as far as manhood/lifestyle all is good. But I dont believe it to be that problem.
Take Care and good shootin
Bob

I think you missed GotM4's point.

In response to the original post, I bought a Glock 19. In a sudden attack of stupidity, I sold it and a G34. I have since purchased another G19, and will try to fight off anymore such attacks. The 19 is not my favorite Glock; however, it is probably the most versatile Glock.

dialM4murder
07-29-07, 19:37
well, I WANTED a Glock 19. Until I saw this that is. Looks like this will be Sig #2 for me. :D

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ga_handguns/GAsigpt250_060707inset.jpg

RAM Engineer
07-29-07, 22:12
I switched from a Sig 228 to a Glock 19. That thing you just posted...well...I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Sigs have great grips SUBJECTIVELY but lousy, inconsistent triggers and too high a bore axis. Even the DAK sucks compared to the stock Glock trigger. Which reminds me, I have some new-in-wrap Sig 228 mags I need to list for sale...

Jay Cunningham
07-29-07, 23:26
My primary pistol is a Glock 19, 3rd gen. I carry it concealed everyday and I use it as my sidearm in carbine classes. I have replaced the OEM sights with Heine Slant-Pro's with a tritium lamp on the front only, a Glockmeister grip plug (this was recomennded to me by an "assistant instructor who shall not be named") and I will be getting the Vickers/TD mag release this week from Grant.

What can I say? No failures of any kind in over 3000 rounds. Fast follow-up shots, short trigger reset, etc.

It's just about perfect for my needs. I'm about to get another one.

blackscot
07-30-07, 06:26
As far as reliability, I've owned around a half dozen Glocks over the years (would have to check my records for an exact count), shot several thousand rounds through them collectively, and have never experienced a single failure of any kind.

On the liability thing -- some may think me crazy -- but I actually increased the trigger weight by adding the 8 lb. connector. My G19 is a real-world, everyday carry gun. I can shoot it just as quickly and accurately with the 8 lb. as the factory 5 lb., and feel a lot more comforatable with the extra safety margin to avoid an AD under stress.

Lastly on the personal preference thing, there are plenty of guns I actually enjoy more shooting, but realistically are too heavy and/or bulky for me to carry concealed. I see the G19 as a well balanced compromise among the several conflicting parameters that must be reconciled in making a choice for a carry piece.

MX5
07-30-07, 07:16
Don't always assume that a trip through the legal system will be the result of a justifiable, clean, self-defense shooting. There's a multitude of other situations that can and do take place that are more likely. These can also cause serious injury, death, property damage, lose of earning ability, etc. All of which can be defended, but at what cost? How much can you afford to pay to be right? In my world there's no such thing as an accidental discharge. It's either deliberate or negligent and there's no middle ground. Spend your hard-earned money on professional training, ammo and lots of practice. Then, quietly go about your business, better off.

blackscot
07-30-07, 07:45
.......In my world there's no such thing as an accidental discharge. It's either deliberate or negligent and there's no middle ground......

Quite right. I should have never said "AD", but rather "ND".

BlastinCaps
07-30-07, 19:30
That is a nice Sig! I have a buddy over at Sig and he never filled me in on this beauty. Ill have to schedule an appointment to shoot it at there range.

COLT6933
07-30-07, 21:45
I don't own one 19
I have 3. :D
I sent one off to Bowie Tactical for some work and one it comes back another wiill be on its way to David.
The 19 is the best overall handgun for me. I have tried Hk, Sig, various 1911's and i always end up back with the Glock
Since 2 is 1 I felt the need for a third

Glockster35
07-31-07, 11:41
Well, I guess I'll be one of the few, I DO NOT own any Glock 19's. I am not now or ever have I been a fan of the 9mm round. I have the next best thing, a Glock 23 (same size, but in .40S&W), but mine is a gen 2 frame, without the rail!

That said, I am looking to buy a Glock 19 so my sons and wife can shoot it. That and I really need a gun with nightsights and a rail for home defense!

sproc
07-31-07, 13:03
Speaking of the .40, I've heard a few people recommend getting a model 23 plus a 9mm conversion barrel instead of a model 19, allowing .40 and 9mm in one gun. Makes sense in theory, but I don't see a huge rush of people doing that. Is there a good reason to stick with a 19 instead of a 23+barrel?

I'm about to buy one or two Glock 19s, but this question has kept me from pulling the trigger (no pun intended).

Glockster35
07-31-07, 13:07
Yes, you can buy the conversion barrels, and get the pistol to work by adding other parts if it doesn't work as is.

I have heard others doing the same thing. You can also wait a while and buy a 23 slide from Lone Wolf (once they get it tooled up) and have a complete upper for around $300.

But you have brought up a good point, I may have to rethink my purchase, and stick with .40, and get a 9mm barrel and magazines for it.

Linea_de_Fuego
07-31-07, 21:03
Well, I guess I'll be one of the few, I DO NOT own any Glock 19's. I am not now or ever have I been a fan of the 9mm round.

I did have one until I traded it for a Glock 30 because I do prefer the .45 round. I was told by someone that the move was a bad one because of the reliability of the Glock 19 and the less favorable performance of the Glock 21. I have not heard any data that confirms the 30's performance being the same as the 21's.

olds442tyguy
07-31-07, 21:25
I always thought SIG left their rails out of spec on their aluminum framed pistols because they were too lazy to machine them properly.

After seeing the P250, I guess they do it on purpose. :rolleyes:

The 250 looks good, but I don't think it will compete with the G19 very well at SIG prices.

blackscot
08-01-07, 06:09
......I DO NOT own any Glock 19's.....I have the next best thing, a Glock 23 (same size, but in .40S&W).......

My first ever Glock was a 23. I've since owned a couple along with three (I think.....) 19's, a couple 26's, and a 27.

I'm still torn between the 19 and 23 -- tough choice. Would be cool to try shooting both side-by-side to compare handling, shootability, etc.

.......The 250 looks good, but I don't think it will compete with the G19 very well at SIG prices.

At what they are now going for, you do have to really love/want a Sig to get one.

S&WM&PAR15T
08-10-07, 21:25
This is my first of many future postings.

My first Glock was a 1st Generation 17L (Ported) It's also the most accurate. My next favorite is my newest addition the Model 19. ( My cold weather carry ) My Model 34 is not as accurate as the 17L but accurate enough to scare you.

You can't go wrong with a 9mm Glock

trio
08-10-07, 23:45
this thread got me to a-ruminatin' (as we in the south are apt to do....)

and since then I have purchased another Glock 19....

so I am, once again, amongnst the G19 faithful....

sproc
08-11-07, 00:48
Sounds like I need to buy one finally. Hmm. Black or OD?

Linea_de_Fuego
08-11-07, 09:28
Sounds like I need to buy one finally. Hmm. Black or OD?
Another thing is which generation, 2 or 3? If the only difference between these are the rail and finger grooves then is it just personal preference?

dialM4murder
08-11-07, 22:41
Yes, you can buy the conversion barrels, and get the pistol to work by adding other parts if it doesn't work as is.
I may have to rethink my purchase, and stick with .40, and get a 9mm barrel and magazines for it.

Reliability flag raised here. Id stick with all stock. Unless of course you're just using the 9mm bbl for plinking, I wouldn't rely on this setup for self defense.

dialM4murder
08-11-07, 22:43
I always thought SIG left their rails out of spec on their aluminum framed pistols because they were too lazy to machine them properly.

After seeing the P250, I guess they do it on purpose. :rolleyes:

The 250 looks good, but I don't think it will compete with the G19 very well at SIG prices.

who says their rails are out of spec, and what exactly do you intend to mount on them?

sproc
08-11-07, 23:04
Reliability flag raised here. Id stick with all stock. Unless of course you're just using the 9mm bbl for plinking, I wouldn't rely on this setup for self defense.
Yeah, that was my hunch, too, but I know better than to trust my own hunches anymore.

sproc
08-11-07, 23:06
Another thing is which generation, 2 or 3? If the only difference between these are the rail and finger grooves then is it just personal preference?

I don't mind the finger grooves as much as I'd miss the rail, so Gen 3 for me. And one can always remove the grooves.

Line Rider
08-16-07, 22:52
I have carried revolver and automatics both and every calibre from .380 to 45 ACP for CCW. The Glock 19 in the best all around carry gun that I have found as far as weight, size and calibre for me.

Summers are very hot and humid here in Alabama, and carrying a gun like a Govt 1911A1 will wear you out. Beside, one day of carrying inside the pants will rust a 1911A1 quickly. The Glock 19 is light enought to carrying all day inside the waist band. It does seem to mind sweat from IWB carry, either.

I bought my Glock 19 for a friend of mine who wanted a S&W M&P. It's my primary off duty gun. Most often I carrying in an IWB with a polo shirt over it. No one knows that I have it on most times. Currently, I have it loaded with 125 grain Cor-bon +P+ .

dialM4murder
08-16-07, 22:58
sounds good.

condition 1
08-17-07, 09:35
I traded a 19 for a 23 big mistake, the 19 shot better than the 23... good all weather carry gun.

dialM4murder
08-17-07, 11:14
im not a fan of the .40

User Name
11-28-07, 16:14
After many guns from every major manufacturer including high dollar 1911's I finally settled on Glocks. Had 5 G17's , a 21, a 23, a 22 and 3 G19's. I let all the other glocks go except for the G19's. I carry my G19's with the 15rd G19 mag and 2 G17 mags as spares. Never except 2x in 10,000's of rounds have I have had a problem except one with a 2nd gen G17 where the trigger pin hole was not in line hence shearing the trigger pin and once when I had a G19 magazine issue leading to a malfuction.

GastonG-NoVa
11-28-07, 17:21
I have been carrying a Glock of one shape or another for the last 15+ years for the first two it was a 19 then we switched to Glock 23s. In the last year or so, we started implementing 22s to some of our guys with gorilla hands.

Either the 23 or the 19 would be my choice.....with a Kramer IWB horsehide holster that is.

Mark/MO
11-28-07, 17:52
I used to look down my nose at Glocks, until my non-shooting wife talked me into buying one. Something she "could handle for that handgun training thing you talked me into". So I sold a revolver and bought one ... for her.

Now 5 years later It is my favorite handgun and is our "bump in the night" gun. After getting used to it's trigger I love it. I shoot it in local area IDPA and USPSA matches. Oh yeah, and my wife gets to shoot it too. We like it so much I have considered buying another. His and Hers, a matching set.

dialM4murder
11-28-07, 18:03
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6625/photo111307002cj7.jpg

erniesshop
11-28-07, 18:32
:) Had 1....Sold it...Didn't Like Trigger.
Carry Ruger P-89!

Beat Trash
11-28-07, 21:44
I own every size Glock 9mm except for the 17L. The Glock 19 is my favorite and most used. I have been carrying one off duty for about 5 years or so, year round (even in muggy SW Ohio summers) in a Blade Tec UCH holster.

I shoot this gun alot, and it has been reliable. I don't expect this to change.

I have read through some of the replies on this topic comparing the Glock 19 to the M&P in size. My issued duty gun is a M&P 9mm. I went down to the safe and compared the M&P to a Glock 17. They were about the same size, with the M&P's tang being longer than the Glock 17. The Glock 19 is shorter than the M&P.

The more I shoot my M&P (about 7,500 rounds so far), the more I like it. But the Glock 19 fits my hand like no other gun has so far. My Glock 19 is a keeper.

The only thing I changed on my G19 was to have Trijicon night sites installed at the factory.

In my opinion, The Glock 19 is the best Glock model as far as "doing it all". Big enough to use effectively in a tactical situation, small enough to conceal and actually have with you when you need it.

The M&P 9mm, while bigger, can still fill the same roll. Both are good guns.

Which one is better? It's like asking 100 people which is better, red heads or blonds? Matter of personal preference...

variablebinary
11-28-07, 22:04
Pound for pound, I think the G19 is best pistol sold.

supertac
11-28-07, 22:07
I love my G23...basically the G19 with a little more power.

I shot the G19 and fell in love with it, I then shot the G23 and it felt the same. These two guns are my go-to pistols...now even above my 1911. :eek:

Peacekeeper1408
11-29-07, 00:37
I have a 2nd generation and 3rd generation G19. The 3rd gen feels more solid and better quality than the older one.

dialM4murder
11-29-07, 03:23
I own every size Glock 9mm except for the 17L. The Glock 19 is my favorite and most used. I have been carrying one off duty for about 5 years or so, year round (even in muggy SW Ohio summers) in a Blade Tec UCH holster.

I shoot this gun alot, and it has been reliable. I don't expect this to change.

I have read through some of the replies on this topic comparing the Glock 19 to the M&P in size. My issued duty gun is a M&P 9mm. I went down to the safe and compared the M&P to a Glock 17. They were about the same size, with the M&P's tang being longer than the Glock 17. The Glock 19 is shorter than the M&P.

The more I shoot my M&P (about 7,500 rounds so far), the more I like it. But the Glock 19 fits my hand like no other gun has so far. My Glock 19 is a keeper.

The only thing I changed on my G19 was to have Trijicon night sites installed at the factory.

In my opinion, The Glock 19 is the best Glock model as far as "doing it all". Big enough to use effectively in a tactical situation, small enough to conceal and actually have with you when you need it.

The M&P 9mm, while bigger, can still fill the same roll. Both are good guns.

Which one is better? It's like asking 100 people which is better, red heads or blonds? Matter of personal preference...

Your a fellow Ohioan, you must be on either Cinnci or Columbus PD. Those are the only Ohio agencies I know of issued the M&P. I love mine. :) Up here in Cleveland, they(cleveland PD) recently went to the Glock 17. Which is surprising seeing as they carried smiths before. I would have thought S&W would have gave them a super deal on new M&Ps.

the1911fan
11-29-07, 05:05
Your a fellow Ohioan, you must be on either Cinnci or Columbus PD. Those are the only Ohio agencies I know of issued the M&P. I love mine. :) Up here in Cleveland, they(cleveland PD) recently went to the Glock 17. Which is surprising seeing as they carried smiths before. I would have thought S&W would have gave them a super deal on new M&Ps.

Glock had to make a real sweet deal for CPD to go with them but then again the M&P was awfully new to the market when CPD made the switch to Glock. East Cleveland PD is also supposed to be going with M&P in the very near future.

I get to carry pretty much what I want on duty and I chose the G19 over my 1911's:eek: .

sjc3081
11-29-07, 08:52
As a retired NYPD PO,I can tell you that the G19 has been a very problematic pistol. I has failure to feed and extract when not held firmly. This often shows up when a officer is firing his 19 under stress, gun fight. I personally know three officers that had there 19s jam in gunfights.
www.thegunzone.com/glock/phase3.html
www.thegunzone.com/glock/hhnj.html
www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

Greyman09
11-29-07, 09:19
I have 3 Glock 19, one is always with me.

Beat Trash
11-29-07, 10:01

Cincinnati PD.

We got the first three 9mm M&P's to leave the factory as T&E guns. I helped to "shoot the piss" out of them. Minor change initially needed to be made with the barrel lockup, changed the slide stop to the current one from a VERY flat one (like a stock Glock slide stop, but flusher to the gun) and the guns are good to go.

Yes, Smith made our department a deal we couldn't pass up. A year or more has gone by after the transition from the Smith 5946's to the M&P's, it ended up an excellent choice.

While I still am a huge Glock fan, the inter-changeable back straps is a big selling point for a larger Department whose officers might range from 5" and 100 lbs to 6'6" and 300 lbs. Easier to make the gun fit the various hand sizes.

I also enjoy the fact that an American company can compete with Glock.

sjc3081
11-29-07, 11:16
I also have a 5946. Great pistol, it goes bang every time. Also it seconds as very effective Black Jack.

C4IGrant
11-29-07, 11:31
As a retired NYPD PO,I can tell you that the G19 has been a very problematic pistol. I has failure to feed and extract when not held firmly. This often shows up when a officer is firing his 19 under stress, gun fight. I personally know three officers that had there 19s jam in gunfights.

I have seen this issue first hand with my own G19.

C4

carbinero
11-29-07, 11:35
Anyone have issues shooting the 19 with 33 round mags? My new 26 had numerous FTFs with both 33 mags, after which I popped 'em in my KelTec Sub2000, and they ran fine. Maybe they're too dirty for the Glock (500 rounds of blowback powder?) but O.K. for the KT? I was surprised and a little disappointed, but 17 mags conceal better anyhow! BTW, a 19 is the next handgun on my list...as soon as I sell my XD45.

C4IGrant
11-29-07, 11:38
Anyone have issues shooting the 19 with 33 round mags? My new 26 had numerous FTFs with both 33 mags, after which I popped 'em in my KelTec Sub2000, and they ran fine. Maybe they're too dirty for the Glock (500 rounds of blowback powder?) but O.K. for the KT? I was surprised and a little disappointed, but 17 mags conceal better anyhow! BTW, a 19 is the next handgun on my list...as soon as I sell my XD45.

I would recommend that you at least shoot a M&P 9mm before buying a G19.

C4

R Moran
11-29-07, 12:37

Carefull, SJC, when I mentioned htat on another forum, it was declared that it was all do to the incompetence of NYPD! All 40, 000 of them.
Needless to say my friend "on the job" took some offence to that.

Oh, I have a G19, just to keep it on topic.

Bob

User Name
11-29-07, 16:05
with a Kramer IWB horsehide holster that is.[/QUOTE]

+ plus one on that. Lived near Tacoma and had all my holsters done by them. Good people and first rate equipment.

MR.J
11-29-07, 16:50
Anyone have issues shooting the 19 with 33 round mags? My new 26 had numerous FTFs with both 33 mags, after which I popped 'em in my KelTec Sub2000, and they ran fine. Maybe they're too dirty for the Glock (500 rounds of blowback powder?) but O.K. for the KT? I was surprised and a little disappointed, but 17 mags conceal better anyhow! BTW, a 19 is the next handgun on my list...as soon as I sell my XD45. 20 differnt 33 Round mags, I have had no issues running these in my G19.

Heavy Metal
11-29-07, 18:27
Anybody have an opinion on rocket connectors?

dialM4murder
11-29-07, 18:54
Glock had to make a real sweet deal for CPD to go with them but then again the M&P was awfully new to the market when CPD made the switch to Glock. East Cleveland PD is also supposed to be going with M&P in the very near future.

Heh.. East Cleveland Police need tanks.

eng208
11-29-07, 18:55

I agree. I have two 19s, and one 1911 Springfield Champion. I hope to get a full size 1911 soon. But for the dirty work, the 19 comes out to play. Always ready to go and comfortable:D I have had it since it was born in 1992, then added a twin to it in 1995. My wife claimed that one. I got her started shooting with my 19 gave it to her, then felt bad and wanted it back so I bought her a new one and fixed it up with the Trijicons like mine. She likes it a lot. She has no desire to shoot anything else. No reason to. Great all around gun. Easy to maintain and carry. I would like to even get a third. I had a 17 but got rid of it because it didn't do anything the 19 couldn't and the 19 was smaller and fit both of us better.

dialM4murder
11-29-07, 18:56

Mine was made in august of this year, I wonder if they've worked the kinks out. Mine is GTG by the way.

GLOCKMASTER
11-29-07, 19:02
with a Kramer IWB horsehide holster that is.

+ plus one on that. Lived near Tacoma and had all my holsters done by them. Good people and first rate equipment.[/QUOTE]

I use a Kramer#3 IWB horsehide to carry my G19. I have had several over the years and they are great.

Littlelebowski
12-01-07, 21:15
I have a G19 and it's been flawless with the cheapest of ammunition.