PDA

View Full Version : COLT 6920 Sundry SBR, BC, Trigger Advice?

johnnywitt
10-14-10, 20:49
OK, so right after the Obaminator was elected I bought 2 6920's that were brand new from an LE Dealer (yeah, end of the world and all). They were represented as the brand new .154 pin FCG, but alas, were the dreaded .169 Colt bastard pin.
So now, the LE dealer sends me a free Geissele Lg Pin SSA for one of them and we call it a square deal. The Dealer's a square Guy and thought it was a small pin receiver. I've shot one of the lowers about 2000 times with a dedicated .22 upper, so it has a little wear on it and the upper I shot about 60rds through. The other gun has only had 20 rounds through it. Thing is, I doubt there going to be any market for selling these Colts as the sm pin guns are out now.

Guys, on these 6920's, how do I know if the BC is a M16 carrier, or the "half moon" carrier & when did they start shipping the M16 carriers with the 6920? I know that my gun was the last production before the small pin guns because when I called Colt Defense they thought it was a small pin at first.

Additionally, I'm thinking of SBR'ing Form 1's on one or both of them to a 11" barrel (right where the barrel notch starts to taper down). Yes, I'm actually thinking of cutting a sacred 6920 govt. profile barrel. Has anybody done this with a happy result and who do you fellas recommend to cut and crown. Adco comes to mind first- but is there anybody else who is highly recommended?

Lastly, I have a Noveske lower with an AR gold trigger (that used to have a SSA in it) and a Tac Sol Dedicated Upper that I shoot all the time out back with the family. After shooting the AR Gold, the SSA just doesn't impress too much. This is one of the reasons that I just want to SBR the 6920 that I've shot. It would be a 100m gun on the outside- mostly a home defense gun. The pasture behind my house has a 100m shot, so I'll never get a longer shot, at least on my own property. Does anyone know if the SSA-E trigger will be made with the Colt .169 Pins? It seems like it would be perfect for me being used to the AR Gold. I think it would be a pretty good use of 400.00 bucks to just SBR them both for CQB Carbines and either use factory triggers (maybe Bill Springfield worked), or stick the SSA Lg Pin that I have in the one that it looks like for sure I'm going to SBR, unless some Guru on here thats forgotton more than I'll ever know about the AR/M4 platform talks me out of it. Decisions, decisions...

MarkG
10-14-10, 21:08
Sleep easy, your rifles have full auto carriers. You cant cut a 6920 down to 11.5 inches. The cut will end up in the relief cut for the grenade launcher mount. Send it to SAW and have Elmore convert it to an MK18 configuration. No one does it better...

johnnywitt
10-14-10, 22:22
Sleep easy, your rifles have full auto carriers. You cant cut a 6920 down to 11.5 inches. The cut will end up in the relief cut for the grenade launcher mount. Send it to SAW and have Elmore convert it to an MK18 configuration. No one does it better...

Yeah, I measured it out and came up with about 11". Right where the barrel starts to taper down. Might be like 11.1' ish. Thanks for the recommendation for Elmore. I might just do the whole MK18 thing, thats a pretty cool dedicated suppressed weapon mod, especially for CQB. I do like the idea of have a FSB though for a CQB weapon.

Scotter260
10-14-10, 23:27
If I were in this dreadful "dilemma" I'd consider going through the SBRing process with one of them and once that's done, sell off the most used upper and buy whatever 11.5" upper floats your boat (BCM for example) then keep your second, minty 6920 tucked away as a back-up.

I do feel you large pin and cut carrier pain though. I've considered selling mine figuring if I have to chip in another couple hundred dollars it'd be worth getting the upgrades. Is that a possible option for you at least with one of them? Keep the most used one as a shooter and get a newer one and do as you wish, safe queen or range hag.

mp43
11-09-10, 14:12
Lastly, I have a Noveske lower with an AR gold trigger (that used to have a SSA in it) and a Tac Sol Dedicated Upper that I shoot all the time out back with the family. After shooting the AR Gold, the SSA just doesn't impress too much. This is one of the reasons that I just want to SBR the 6920 that I've shot. It would be a 100m gun on the outside- mostly a home defense gun. The pasture behind my house has a 100m shot, so I'll never get a longer shot, at least on my own property. Does anyone know if the SSA-E trigger will be made with the Colt .169 Pins? It seems like it would be perfect for me being used to the AR Gold. I think it would be a pretty good use of 400.00 bucks to just SBR them both for CQB Carbines and either use factory triggers (maybe Bill Springfield worked), or stick the SSA Lg Pin that I have in the one that it looks like for sure I'm going to SBR, unless some Guru on here thats forgotton more than I'll ever know about the AR/M4 platform talks me out of it. Decisions, decisions...

ADCO has them! Bill made it exclusively for them.
A great improvement vs the SSA.
The reset is sharper, easier to feel than the SSA.
It is indeed a great trigger for an SPR or a Recce, even for an SBR up close run & gun type carbine.

Jorge

ALCOAR
11-09-10, 14:33
Your comparing apples to oranges in respect to the AR gold trigger and the SSA.

Compare the gold trigger w. the SSA-E, SDE, or a DMR.

The "impressive" aspect to the SSA is not so much in the break or whatever but the actual reliability and design of it. Its the real deal combat trigger imho.

hellbound
11-09-10, 14:49
i have a Geissele DMR trigger on LT stealth and it is hands down the best trigger i've ever used. i was going to swap SSA triggers into two of my SBRs (Colt SOCOM 14.5", soon to be BCM 14.5" middies) but after thinking about it i changed my mind.

with the stock single stage FCG and an aimpoint, i can break clays out at 100yds. to me that is plenty of accuracy, the extra $400 for two SSA triggers is not worth it.

I didn't even consider the SSA-E because I feel that 3.5# is too light for the purpose of a hard use carbine.

as for the bill springfield trigger, take your stock FCG and throw it in the trash and save yourself the shipping and handling

mp43
11-09-10, 15:04
[QUOTE=hellbound;809909
I didn't even consider the SSA-E because I feel that 3.5# is too light for the purpose of a hard use carbine.

as for the bill springfield trigger, take your stock FCG and throw it in the trash and save yourself the shipping and handling[/QUOTE]

The SSA-E is not as light as you think it is; the first stage is a bit lighter, but the second stage feels like the one on the SSA. The SSA-E is not a hair trigger by any stretch of the imagination. What I really like is that the reset is sharper and more distinct than on the SSA, and it is really easy to feel and control for the fast stuff. This is Bill's best all around trigger IMHO, both for long shots and close up stuff.
I have an S3G on an SBR 11.5in, and I love it too for real up close work. I will get the new SD3G for other SBR's. As far as I know, large pin SD and S3G triggers are not on the board yet. The SSA-E is thus the best choice for a large pin 6920.

Ditto's on the BS stuff.

Jorge