PDA

View Full Version : SR-16

bubba04
10-14-10, 21:17
This may be a stupid question and answered before...I tried to find it but been unsuccessful....

Does anyone know if Knight has plans to start selling KAC SR-16CQB carbine to the general public?

If not does anyone know if the plan to start selling their 11.5" lower because I think....I am in love.

bad timing
10-14-10, 21:29
SR-16.....no. SR-15......

yes

KAC SR15SBR

(note KAC not KMC)

11.5" bbl
Flip Front Sight Gas Block
M4QD Flash Hider
Carbine URX
KAC SR15 engraved lower - non ambo, engraved Vero Beach (last of Vero lowers)
laser marked KAC Titusville Fl.
Marked SAFE - SEMI (not SAFE - FIRE)
QD Rear Receiver Sling Plate.

Sure I am forgetting something.

In anticipation of your next question.....

Shot show, Vegas, more than a standard SR-15.

TehLlama
10-16-10, 11:30
Sounds like it will be an SR15, though without the IWS. Same E3 goodness for the BCG/Barrel extension, with an 11.5", and a factory SBR configuration.

jonconsiglio
10-16-10, 12:13
I've put a few mags through the SR 15 and I'm in love. I am in the process of getting one though I'm not sure if I want/need the ameba lower. I have a Noveske sitting here needing an upper anyway.

It would be nice if the SR15 SBR would use (or have the option of) their 10.75" mid length rail that they use on the SR15 e3 and SR16 CQB. Sounds more like the SR15 SBR will be the SR16 carbine with an 11.5" barrel.

So, it sounds like if you REALLY want the 11.5" SR16 upper, you'll need to get the SR15 SBR then replace the gas block and have someone install the mid length rail (or do it yourself with the $250 tool).

Can someone tell me exactly what the IWS is? I know what it stands for, but what exactly is it? I get the e3 stuff and I get the integrated front sight, but what is IWS exactly? Thanks!

Jonathan

Stickman
10-16-10, 12:16
http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/STCK8854-1024-Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/KAC/IMG_0918-1024-Stick.jpg

jonconsiglio
10-16-10, 12:58
I love that upper… I'm thinking of getting the BCM 11.5" with the URX and T3 or BattleComp. When the SR15 SBR is released, if they won't give the option of the low pro gas block and the mid length URX, then I might go the BCM route for that. Who knows, I probably won't be aboe to wait and end up with both...

Stick, I'm a pro photographer running Nikon D3's (previously Canon 1D and 1Ds Mark II's). It awesome to see someone this good doing gun photography. I don't do much product photography, though I do enjoy it. I just end up doing a quick shot since I'm usually tired of Lightroom and Photoshop (and all it's actions) by the time I get to my personal stuff.

I've always admired your stuff. Not only good light and composition, but access to some really top shelf equipment. Even if it's the same gun a few times, I appreciate each photo for the photo itself and, of course, the gear!

Jonathan Consiglio
www.consigliophotography.com

Army Chief
10-16-10, 14:02
Didn't realize that KevinB had already made this public knowledge, as I've been keeping my mouth shut, but yes ... an SR-series factory KAC SBR is coming.

AC

ALCOAR
10-16-10, 14:52
I would be all this first fun after Shot if they had the ambi lowers but I am actually a lefty. The first run has to sell in order to create a second which would have the current ambi lowers....so order up gents:)

Army Chief
10-16-10, 15:12
I would be all this first fun after Shot if they had the ambi lowers but I am actually a lefty. The first run has to sell in order to create a second which would have the current ambi lowers....so order up gents:)

Same basic situation here, but I have faith.

AC

Bolt_Overide
10-17-10, 00:54
fear not citizens, I shall tap that!

ALCOAR
10-17-10, 04:29
fear not citizens, I shall tap that!

Citizen Righty to the rescue;)

If I were a right handed shooter, I would def. get on this first run. What you lost in ambi features you gain in having the first factory SR-15s made:cool:

Army Chief has a SR15 and I think can attest that when I say it will be tough if not impossible to buy another lower after running a new SR15 IWS lower as a left handed shooter. Imho, a lefty using a SR15 lower has it better than a normal right handed shooter on any right handed config'd lower because we have the same exact controls and then gain the ability to hold the bolt open with the trigger finger whereas a right handed shooter has to buy a battery assist device in order to achieve the same thing. I only elaborate above since I think the only folks who honestly have a reason to hold back for the second run is a true left handed shooter that has so much to gain from using a current SR15 IWS ambi lower.

SWATcop556
10-17-10, 05:21
Rumored MSRP will be around $3k from what I'm hearing. That's high but this is still at the very top of my Need To Buy list.

ALCOAR
10-17-10, 06:58
After viewing the Military Channel's Top 10 CQB weapons and seeing the KAC PDW w. the amazing 6x35mm, and then seeing the Shot show pics from last yr. by smglee, I foresee a potential drop in 6x35mm upper for this factory KAC sbr.

The prospect of running a KAC ambi lower with a KAC 6x35mm upper is enough to bring me to my knees and start begging til Hornady and KAC make it a reality:D

Take a gander at these pics for a little refresher if you need it...I have beaten that thread to death:p

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=45661

TehLlama
10-17-10, 17:58
An 8" SR635 upper would be a fantastic addon - especially for folks with a 6.8mm suppressor.

random clever name
10-17-10, 21:35
Until the price of the ammo drops below a dollar a round I think the pdw cartridge isn't going to be a commercial success. Last time I was at Lawmens III had a great offer. Free T&E CQB upper based on the PDW round, but the agency had to buy a couple of cases of ammo. It was going to be around 2 grand to run the upper. It seems like a great CQB round and I have had nothing but good experiences with Knights, but unless the military picks it up I don't see any other ammo manufacturers producing it and dropping the price. Until then it will remain a really cool/well executed concept weapon.

ALCOAR
10-17-10, 22:10
I agree its not KAC that is holding back this amazing new round/project, its the lack of demand which is crazy considering this round should do away with the 5.7 and all those pee shooters that shoot it:D

The more I read on this actual round the more I crave it with my first SBR on the horizon. This round really does dominate the .223/5.56 in a cqb AR based gun from what I have read...The round was designed for this exact application with all the power being burned before it leaves the short barrels which has a ton of inherit values in that alone. It also seems to be a devastating round under 300m for sure.

Bolt_Overide
10-17-10, 23:26
why dont we just take up a collection and buy one of the ammo manufacturers?

ALCOAR
10-17-10, 23:53
Totally agree. Rem has sucked lately with some of their top shelf loads containing clearly mixed primers, brass and one then would assume projectiles....never seen that with Hornady. My vote is to move on Remington:D

Will_Die_Trying
10-18-10, 02:37
No ambo sucks

will wait for the ambo to come out. No thank you to the vero hand-me-down

mtdawg169
10-18-10, 07:43
No ambo sucks

will wait for the ambo to come out. No thank you to the vero hand-me-down

I love the E3 lowers, but the Vero lowers aren't hand me downs, they are a piece of KAC history. From what I understand they are also currently the only way KAC can provide a factory SBR to the commercial market at this time, which is what we've been begging them for for a long time. Good on KAC for listening to and responding to their customers.

With the addition of the flip up front sight base and a factory sbr lower, I would bet the price will be somewhere near the $3K mark mentioned earlier. Personally, I would love to see a Costa style upper, with or with or without the TTB on an E3 lower available to the commercial market, but the current offering is still a badass piece of kit.

Army Chief
10-18-10, 17:53
I don't think I'm betraying a confidence in observing that the KAC SBRs have already been built, and it is for this reason the first 100 guns built will be released on the pre-E3 "Vero" lowers. If you think about it, this actually follows precedent, in that we saw the SR-15 debut with a standard lower a year or more before we saw the E3 released with the current ambidextrous lower. As the Vero lowers were on hand and available, but not featured on the current iteration of the (non-NFA) SR-15, it was only logical to proceed along these lines.

Since most shooters do not have a requirement for an ambidextrous lower, this first SBR release will doubtless meet their needs well. The good news for those who depend more heavily upon the E3 feature set is that factory SBR runs on these lowers are planned for one or more subsequent runs.

Bottom line? We're really just looking at something of a waiting game, and most of us can probably put the time to good use in saving our pennies, anyway.

AC