PDA

View Full Version : M4carbine.net new member assumptions

rob_s
10-15-10, 09:39
Of late I have noticed an influx of newer members, and of these many are also new AR buyers, or potential new AR buyers, asking questions about add-ons, best rifle to buy, etc. Oftentimes these questions are met with replies that the poster has a hard time understanding. “I just asked about the best free-float rail, why are these guys telling me to go take a class first?” Let me try to explain.

While m4carbine.net welcomes all comers, what it was born of and it’s bread and butter is the defense-minded civilian shooter, law enforcement user, and military (or private military) user. This means, in a nutshell, function before form. It means that we are generally all on a similar page in that we view firearms and gear as tools to reach an end goal. Tools that can have a pride of ownership, look cool, be cool, impress the ladies, etc. but tools first and foremost. This is not ownership for ownership’s sake. This is not filling the safe full of rifles and pistols rarely fired. This is needs-based purchasing, accessorizing, and fine tuning.

We are all victims of our frame of reference, and human nature is to assume that everyone sees the world the same way you do, and given the above frame of reference the established membership here tends to see things through the lens of that sort of needs-based decision making. Posting things like “I don’t like the way that looks” may, therefore, result in some derision. We try to keep it good-natured, but you’re going to get a ration of shit about it all the same. “Which free-float rail should I buy?” will most often be met with a “what do you want to do with it and how much do you want to spend?” response. This has become a sort of unnoficial m4carbine.net mantra and is indicative of that kind of needs-based decision making.

You can’t based your decisions on need without a frame of reference. How do you know you “need” a different pistol grip if you don’t have rounds downrange on the A2? I personally can’t stand the A2 grip, but that’s based on several thousand rounds downrange with one to discover that issue. There are others that love the grip, have no issue with it, and wonder why anyone would change. But you can’t make that decision without getting out there and shooting the gun. If your goal is strictly aesthetic then you need to be up front with that from the beginning and let people know that. Don’t try to mask aesthetic decision making as needs-based. You’re only going to head down a path that doesn’t end well. I wrote the post Go Shoot the Gun (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658&highlight=shoot) to address that topic in more detail.

So, generally speaking, there are certain assumptions that your established m4carbine.net member is going to make when we see someone asking questions about guns or gear.
We assume that:

you plan on shooting the gun.
looks don’t matter to you.
your use is other than firing from the bench at the local public range.
your use will entail some kind of dynamic application (competition, defense, training, etc.)
you are buying based on a perceived need.
your need is not “buy it to have it”.
you actually want advice, not confirmation or validation of a choice already made.

Given those assumptions, you may not always like the response you get. But hopefully reading and understanding those assumptions will help put them in a context that helps you get a feel for what we’re about, and why you got the response you did. The established membership here wants to help. Many of us have years of experience and costly lessons learned, and we are trying to save you and others the same mistakes we made. But we base that on a perceived need, and an assumption that you are making purchases and decisions for the same reason we are. It’s not about the ride, it’s about the destination.

Palmguy
10-15-10, 10:55
Excellent post, Rob.

500grains
10-15-10, 11:22
Great post. Just a couple of random remarks here.

1. If a fellow does not want to hear the answer to his question, he should not ask.

2. It tends to be better to ask the experts here for input BEFORE purchasing your gun, rather than arguing with them that an economy plinker is equal to a Colt, etc. AFTER purchasing your gun.

3. Don't be embarrassed or angry if it turns out that your favorite brand is crap. A lot of us (me at the head of the line) have owned Olympic Arms, DPMS, Rock River, Bushmaster, etc. and have learned the lesson of cheap-ass guns the hard way and at great financial cost. Getting input from some very knowledgeable people here will save you the wasted time, frustration and wasted money that others among us have gone through.

RogerinTPA
10-15-10, 11:43
Very well said Rob_S.

There is a lot of "Tacit Knowledge" on this forum from actual shooting practitioners to be learned. A lot of folks on M4C spending thousands of dollars a year in ammo, training and kit (weapons, accessories and gear) to develop and enhance our individual skill set, then share that experience with us. Just when you think you have a good grasp on some subject, someone else chimes in with more insight, then we are all better for that information. If new members would take a reality check and adopt a more humble attitude towards leaning, there wouldn't be so much butt hurt induced responses to a new member's question. This forum strives to achieve a balance between quality, practicality and efficiency.

Business_Casual
10-15-10, 12:02
This should be re-posted in Handguns weekly.

B_C

SeriousStudent
10-15-10, 12:36
Well put, and very polite as well. Thanks for writing this, I think it fits a need.

May I be so bold as to suggest that a Mod sticky this thread in the "New to Firearms/Shooting" forum?

Rob, I know you have more than you can say grace over these days. But have you thought about putting together a short paragraph or two, that would introduce new users to the Chart?

Perhaps that could be stickied, and locked. So instead of turning into a 600+ post debate like the main Chart thread, just an introduction into what it is, and how folks should view it.

Thanks again for taking the time to write this thread. :)

Belmont31R
10-15-10, 12:39
Can you add using the search button before asking a question?

SteyrAUG
10-15-10, 12:42
Wait...I thought the important thing was posting tacticool pictures on the internet to impress others. You mean you guys actually SHOOT your guns?!? Sounds kinda dangerous.

:sarcastic:

Btw, this month I will be debuting my new SIG/Rolex GMT 559 Assault Carbine with LaRue titanium QD stealth mount, Raetheon Gen 5 Thermal / NV optics, SureFire billion candlepower tac light with a Knights Pterodactyl suppressor on a NASA QD mount and a 9 position single point swift sling,

Army Chief
10-15-10, 12:47
May I be so bold as to suggest that a Mod sticky this thread in the "New to Firearms/Shooting" forum?

Aye, sir ... you may indeed.

ETA: Didn't mean to lock this one up so quickly, and will reopen it for commentary. Just want to make sure that the relevance of the opening post remains at the forefront, as every member here can probably gain something from reviewing it; especially those who may be migrating from other sites with a vastly different culture.

AC

Failure2Stop
10-15-10, 17:18
It is also a good idea to actually shoot a gun before posting a "review" of it.

Actually taking the time to get the gun hot and see what's going on is what a real review requires for people beyond the "blasting dirt clods" phase. About 500 rounds brings you into the acceptable range. If you are going to post groups, no less than 5 rounds are acceptable, but preferably use 10 shot groups when making statements about precision.

Posting a "review" with nothing more than a list of items and some pics of the gun on the livingroom floor and 1/2 of your feet does little other than verify that you have an item that visually replicates an AR. There aren't many that care that you have "brand X" handguards on your gun, they are much more interested in learning how that handguard performs while shooting, and what your shooting consists of.

rob_s
10-15-10, 18:53
Thanks guys, and thanks for unlocking. I'd like to see this turn into some discussion with a way for new member to "get to know us". Things like search before posting, read more than post, etc. are all general internet forum issues, and we should try to constrain this thread to specific talk about what makes M4C unique and what new members might expect about the culture of the site that may help them find their way here.

Black Jeep
10-15-10, 19:28
Having been a part of a number of forums, I have seen this particular phenomenon happen pretty frequently. I don't think that Rob has bad advice; quite the contrary in fact. However, I think that a lot of this is preaching to the choir as it were.

In my short time here, I mostly keep my yap shut and try to absorb as much sage advice as I can. I know how to use the search function and have handled a few of my own questions via well placed pm's to knowledgable individuals. It doesn't take long on a forum to figure out who those people are. I don't have any evidential proof to verify this, but I would surmise that a good many of your newer members fall into this pattern. There are always going to be those noisy few who like the sound of their own voice (virtually speaking) and blurt out the first question that pops into their head without using the search function. Maybe they are lazy or they are just horrible at boolean logic; who knows.

The optimist in me hopes that everyone would read Rob's post and benefit from it. There is good forum etiquette here that transcends M4C. On the other hand, the skeptic in me has seen forums with stickies a mile long of MUST READ INFO for newbies that goes largely ignored by everyone but the choir.

Forums have a personality unique to each board. Anyone who doesn't take the time to get to know the forum isn't going to take the time to sort through mountains of incredibly valuable information to learn something. Laziness and entitlement permeate all aspects of our culture, so it is no surprise to see it here. I would suggest that if folks get their knickers in a wad or get their feelings hurt on an internet forum then decide to take their ball and go home...well, good riddance. Some folks need a ration of shit or a frequent reality check.

For the most part, this site is largely devoid of the drama queen shit I've seen on other sites. This is a good place and thanks to the tireless efforts of Rob and others it will continue to be such.

Belmont31R
10-15-10, 19:41
Thanks guys, and thanks for unlocking. I'd like to see this turn into some discussion with a way for new member to "get to know us". Things like search before posting, read more than post, etc. are all general internet forum issues, and we should try to constrain this thread to specific talk about what makes M4C unique and what new members might expect about the culture of the site that may help them find their way here.

In that case there are 2 things that pop to mind for me that seperates this forum from others.

1. If you ask a question or somebody answers a question the vast majority of the time the result is going to be first hand experience from people who have quality information to share. Theres not too much blank noise around here, and supposed "info" coming from people who you later find out have 200rds through the gun.

2. The site is small enough its easier to keep track of people, and people don't really get lost in the fold of things. You can get to know people just by reading their posts. You don't really open up a thread, and 90% of the posts are from people you've never heard of before. I spent a lot of time on TOS and never really got to know anyone. Since Ive contributed here Ive talked to other members on the phone, gone shooting with them, PM's, pay it forwards, ect. Part of that, too, is you get more industry type people posting per capita than other sites. If Kevin B or Todd from Noveske posted on another site it tends to get lost in the fold but here they have a bigger voice, and people tend to listen.

120mm
10-15-10, 21:33
My issue is not with the 10 post guy who asks what carbon scraper or brand of accuwedge to buy.

It is with the 100 to 300 post dim wit who defends the guy's question and thinks telling carbon scraper/accuwedge boy the truth is "too harsh".

I know there is a movement on M4C to just ignore obvious ARFCOM-style posters, but the problem is, if you don't set the tone immediately, they WILL end up taking over the forum, as is evidenced by the increased volume of "how do I fix this itty bitty cosmetic boo boo on my blem lower?"/"Will brand X upper color match my brand Y lower?"/"Does this set of rails make my ass look fat?" style of posts.

SkyLine1
10-15-10, 22:33
First post......I spent time reading the 60+ page "Chart" thread and countless other by threads by several Industry Professional, Vendors, Manf. and learned a lot, still learning and won't stop learning.

Thanks for putting your knowledge out there to learn from.

Back to taking notes.

SkyLine1

Bolt_Overide
10-15-10, 22:42
very well said rob.

Iraqgunz
10-15-10, 23:21
You make a very solid point.

My issue is not with the 10 post guy who asks what carbon scraper or brand of accuwedge to buy.

It is with the 100 to 300 post dim wit who defends the guy's question and thinks telling carbon scraper/accuwedge boy the truth is "too harsh".

I know there is a movement on M4C to just ignore obvious ARFCOM-style posters, but the problem is, if you don't set the tone immediately, they WILL end up taking over the forum, as is evidenced by the increased volume of "how do I fix this itty bitty cosmetic boo boo on my blem lower?"/"Will brand X upper color match my brand Y lower?"/"Does this set of rails make my ass look fat?" style of posts.

sammage
10-16-10, 00:05
Well said. People need to be a little less thin-skinned. When SMEs and IPs weigh in, it's not for an ego trip; it's actual advice and objective recommendations.

bkb0000
10-16-10, 00:31
at the same time, its still quite possible to correct someone, even flick them shit, and still be decent about it.

don't allow bullshit, but dont be an ass... shades of gray, gentlemen.

rob_s
10-16-10, 05:07
Having been a part of a number of forums, I have seen this particular phenomenon happen pretty frequently. I don't think that Rob has bad advice; quite the contrary in fact. However, I think that a lot of this is preaching to the choir as it were.

I want to stress again that this thread is not about generic "use the search button newb" kinds of forum ettiquete.

This thread is about describing the culture and attitude of M4C for new posters to better understand the kinds of answers they're likely to get to their questions. It also isn't about a tacked post that they will hopefully read as much as it's about an archived thread that members can throw up links to when new posters seem confused.

My, perhaps arrogant, hope is that between this, Go Shoot the Gun (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658&highlight=shoot), and An Un-qualified Opinion (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19307&highlight=opinion) we have a repository of threads we can link new posters to that help them better utilize the knowledgebase that is unique to M4C.

I couldn't care less about teaching people forum etiquette.

Army Chief
10-16-10, 10:44
I know there is a movement on M4C to just ignore obvious ARFCOM-style posters, but the problem is, if you don't set the tone immediately, they WILL end up taking over the forum ...

This is indeed an important thought, as seemingly innocuous forms of participation that pass for the norm elsewhere are often viewed as destructive and at-odds with our aims here.

Posters of the "that is totally the most bad azz awesome-looking boomstick ever" ilk damage the board in two ways: (1) they disrupt the flow of serious discussion with empty, juvenile banter (i.e. the proliferation of senseless white noise), and (2) they draw in others with a similar mindset, whose posting practices are likewise devoid of any substantive value (i.e. the replication and breeding of assclowns). The membership base at M4C views this kind of posting activity as subversive, no matter how benign the intent, because it drives away serious-minded professionals who make a forum like this one worthwhile. The site staff and mods exist to protect and serve the interests of this base.

We all understand that sometimes a post is just a post, and not every missive is going to contain some deep insight or great revelation; that said, the larger pattern of participation must be toward substantive contribution. By this, we mean that we expect our fellow members to pause for just a moment before hitting the "post" button to consider whether what they are about to add contributes to the discussion in a meaningful way, advances our collective body of knowledge, or legitimately assists another member.

So, what kinds of self-checks can help a newer member stay on azimuth?

If you're in the habit of adding posts which could be excised from a thread without taking anything away from the discussion, you're doing something wrong.

If you're enthusiastic about a given product, vendor or service to the point of wearing a "fanboy" label, you're doing something wrong.

If you aren't paying attention to what you are communicating with your language, or are careless in your use of profanity, you're doing something wrong.

If you are having a hard time accepting that some gear/gun choices are inferior to others, you're doing something wrong.

If you're argumentative, or disrespectful to another member, you're doing something wrong.

If you're posting just you're bored, lonely, or have nothing better to do, you're doing something wrong.

If you're leaving others with the impression that your experience base is confined to video gaming, an Airsoft militia, or high school, you're doing something wrong.

If you're dispensing advice on a topic or situation in which you have no first-hand knowledge, you're doing something wrong.

If you're working on your post count with an eye toward getting your numbers up, you're doing something wrong.

Now, we're not really about the "don't" list around here, of course, but often people can't begin to assimilate the right standards until they see some of the wrong ones spelled out. With this in mind, one can rightly infer that adding posts which play a legitimate role in conversational development, are measured in their tone, intelligently-worded and underpinned by your own experience will always be very well-received.

M4C is different, and the difference is deliberate. If that makes no sense to you, or you view it as unnecessarily hard-edged, then accessing the forums in a read-only mode is adviseable. We have no wish to create an offense nor to be unkind about it, but the mindset and culture of the site will be safeguarded -- at your expense, if necessary.

If this does make perfect sense to you, and you are resolved to be a serious student of the defensive use of fighting arms as working tools, then we are unquestionably a stronger resource with you here. Welcome!

AC

120mm
10-17-10, 11:48
I know we don't want to just turn this into a "gripe-fest" type thread, but I count myself guilty of having less than ideal emotive control.

One thing that I have a harder and harder time suppressing, is the desire to post in some of the "For Sale" threads, where someone has obviously read a little, learned that their "Brand X" carbine is actually a POS, and is trying to unload it here, for more than the price of a new BCM or Spike's Tactical, much less a decent S&W.

I can think of several recent For Sale posts where I restrained myself and walked away wondering what kind of crack the OP was smoking....

Watrdawg
10-17-10, 14:11
I'm new to M4C and have taken the time to read as many stickies and threads as possible. I'm also a member and moderator on a couple of other forums. One thing I have noticed here is that M4C is a no nonsense, no BS site. The knowledge base here is unbelievable!! Before I came here, like many others out there, I had not heard of BCM, DD or Noveske. I knew about LMT, LWRC, BM, DPMS and of course COLT but had no clue about the others. My initial foray into M4C was after I had purchased a Ruger 556c. I have since sold it and purchased a BCM 14.5" middy upper and put it on a LMT lower with a Geiselle SSA trigger. I would have had no clue about doing any of that had I not found M4C. Thankfully I didn't end up losing money on the sale of my Ruger compared to the purchase of my new weapon. The way I have it setup is the result of reading many different threads here.

To be honest with you I have had a few questions similar to others here and have not asked them because of the responses those that have asked those type questions have received. The answers can be harsh and straight forward at times but they have actually help me. Not the answers themselves but the tone of the answers that is. I've made sure to do my homework before asking a question. 95% 0f the time the info I am seeking, is here somewhere. If I can't find what I am looking for and ask a question and someone jumps my case I'm one to ignore the tone and gleen whatever info I can that helps. There are some here who I've noticed that all they provide is with a negative tone. There are others that may give answers in a harsh tone but the actual answers have a ton of info and experience behind them. I usually find them to be the most thought provocking. I've browsed through a couple of other AR sites but have dismissed them all but here. Not that they aren't worth the time it's just that all I need so far is here. I like the straight forward, no nonsense, needs based, personal experience based answers and information available here.

Jake'sDad
10-19-10, 16:44

And here I thought I just needed more exercise.....

theJanitor
10-19-10, 18:17
If you're in the habit of adding posts which could be excised from a thread without taking anything away from the discussion, you're doing something wrong.

Jake's Dad, this is exactly what AC is referring to.

bkb0000
10-19-10, 18:32

while jake's dad's comment was a little on the lame side, we do still need room for comic relief.

this is what the moderators exist for- to guide the board into what it should be. if people are making a lot of dumb comments, it's for moderators to take notice and try to curb it a bit. it's all fine and well for people to chime in here and state their utopian vision of the future of m4c, but keep in mind we're all from different walks.

i don't need to state how much i love this board- it's obvious by my post count. i hope that the vast majority of those posts have been intelligent and purposeful- i try to keep it that way. some of them have been purely to poke fun at something or have been a funny picture that somehow applies to what we're talking about. personally, i love and need humor- i'll make jokes at a funeral (and, in fact, have). if i can't throw a joke post up now and then, m4 isn't going to be worth as much to me.. and i imagine the same can be said for thousands of other members.

it's true we're in the middle of another hump of dumb threads/dumb posts... not sure why it comes and goes like it does, but it does go. don't sweat it so much- nobody's gonna let this board become arfcom.

no disrespect intended to the OP, but maybe instead of these drama-filled threads on how m4 is turning into arfcom we seem to have about every 6 months, we should all remember our commitment to mentorship a lot of us made after the last drama. if posters are posting dumb shit, send them a PM. it's the moderators job to moderate- but it's just as much the job of senior members to contribute where they can. i do it all the time- there's people in this very thread i've sent "cool it" PMs to. i try to be diplomatic, and it's usually well received. im not special- it just works. try it.

i think the OP's OP is fine as a stand alone, for what it was intended to be. good points, good consolidated mission-statement-esque post for new posters. i'd sticky it and lock this thread, before we get any more whining.

viva la m4c

theJanitor
10-19-10, 19:08
I agree, humor is part of any healthy community. but in the midst of a serious discussion?

I used to enjoy reading the content of this site. not so much anymore. I am saddened because there is alot of good info here. there's alot of good info here that hasn't been touched upon yet. and there's alot of good questions that have yet to be asked. I hope that we can, as a community, start threads and ask questions that illicit thoughtful responses by our membership and more interaction by our SME's and IP's.

humor and jokes that don't have bearing on the discussion, should go in the GD. humor and jokes that emphasize points or ideas that are relevant to AR/handgun/tech/training discussions are more than welcome by me.

my two cent's worth.

Jake'sDad
10-19-10, 20:17

My post was playing on that......

Jake'sDad
10-19-10, 20:21
I agree, humor is part of any healthy community. but in the midst of a serious discussion?

I'm sorry....I didn't realize that fat ass comment was part of the serious discussion.

I'll work on my ninja humor detection skills........

rob_s
10-20-10, 06:02
no disrespect intended to the OP, but maybe instead of these drama-filled threads on how m4 is turning into arfcom we seem to have about every 6 months, we should all remember our commitment to mentorship a lot of us made after the last drama. if posters are posting dumb shit, send them a PM. it's the moderators job to moderate- but it's just as much the job of senior members to contribute where they can. i do it all the time- there's people in this very thread i've sent "cool it" PMs to. i try to be diplomatic, and it's usually well received. im not special- it just works. try it.
This thread is not meant as "woe is the forum" thread. I'm out of the "save m4c club" and instead am happy with "whatever will be will be". If people took it as one, or are trying to make it one, then I hope it stops.

i think the OP's OP is fine as a stand alone, for what it was intended to be. good points, good consolidated mission-statement-esque post for new posters. i'd sticky it and lock this thread, before we get any more whining.

Yes, the intention here was to provide a message to new members that hopefully helped explain some of the replies they get to some of their questions. It wasn't a reaction to their being here, or their questions, but more of a PSA to help them put the answers they get in context.

Unfortunately the thread turned into a bit of a bitch fest to some degree, and then I don't know what the hell the "no jokes in a serious thread" discussion has to do with anything.

Army Chief
10-20-10, 06:15
Lest this go too far afield, those who know me know that it is in my nature to infuse humor into just about everything, so I'm just about the last guy that would take issue with a lighthearted post. My point was/is simply that if the majority of your posting activity here consists of making jokes, adding snarky comments or lacing your replies with emoticons, then you're setting the conditions for trouble, even if you yourself aren't the source of it.

No one is saying that an established member with a history of solid contribution can't enjoy a laugh with the boys. All we're saying is that when this kind of activity becomes the mainstay of why you're here and just about the only thing you're adding to the mix, things are out of balance. The next thing you know, we're awash in new members who simply want to join in the fun, know or care very little about our any of our core topics, and who somehow manage to rocket to 1,000 posts without ever having taken part in a single substantive discussion. That may be the norm elsewhere, but it is not OK here.

The moral of the story? All things in moderation.

AC

Army Chief
10-20-10, 06:18
Will revisit this in another day or two, prune it down, and lock it so the original message isn't lost in collateral discussion. No worries.

AC

Rmplstlskn
10-24-10, 08:43
As one who has been here, to some degree, soon after M4C began, in various levels of participation over the years, I want to take this opportunity to THANK all the Mods, Senior Members, Industry Professionals, and knowledgeable regular members for making M4C the place for LEARNING and ASKING genuine "I don't know, guide me" questions. When I have a question I cannot figure out using my own firing dendrites or I am clueless why something is the way it is, I ask it here! And in hindsight, I often see how some of my questions must have caused a few rolling eyes from the experienced among us, but I have acquired more TRUE KNOWLEDGE about AR's, pistols, other assault weapons, tactics, training, and gear here in M4C than any other site combined, even after almost two decades at TOS. (victim of its own success, once a great place to learn)

So I encourage all those who make M4C the "go to place" for answers (you know who you are) to continue in active participation, to dig deep for patience with those who still don't get it but have potential (as we all were "that guy" at one time, if even while in the service), and to even chase off the riff-raff that have shown themselves devoid of any constructive purpose before they chase off the anchors, the bedrock that make M4C what it is. For example, Pat Rogers once frequented TOS often, now gone... M4C has lost a few as well... often due to lack of time, I know, but still a loss none the less...

And I am glad to see this "New to Firearms/Shooting: section pop up as I too was seeing a lot of newb posts hitting town, some of it littering the GF and AR15 forums... I will try to assist these newb's the best I can with the limited knowledge I have, without putting my own ignorance on display... :laugh:

For me, just like those who continue to put on the APPLESEED training, I see the future of this country, and this section of the firearm industry, inescapably attached to growing up WELL TRAINED individuals and correcting those who still are cluless but willing to learn. The more our ranks swell with TRAINED, KNOWLEDEABLE riflemen, the better we all are, and the brighter our future looks (in spite of what we see now).

And who would have thought Rob_s to be such a sophist... ;)

Rmpl

Todd00000
01-30-12, 17:24
Rob, I knew I liked this forum better than the other one; and it didn't take long to figure it out.

jtc556
01-31-12, 06:19
An excellent rule to live by is:
James 1:19 - Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.
I enjoy the culture of M4C as it patterns my favorite verse.

rob_s
01-31-12, 10:02
Rob, I knew I liked this forum better than the other one; and it didn't take long to figure it out.

If only the OP still applied...

Now instead we are supposed to molly-coddle those that post pictures of a "build" with "the best parts" but no experience with the platform, ignore patently ridiculous posts from other members simply because they've been here awhile, but attack the personality of anyone that may have something pertinent to say simply because we don't like them, or the way they say it, or the fact that what they are presenting may make our previous statements look a little silly. Oh, and buy triggers, benchrest guns, magnified optics, and muzzle brakes. For our twice yearly trips to the static range.

welcome to arfcom, 2.0.
:ph34r:

mdrums
08-17-13, 06:52
My problem is when I ask a somewhat newbie question...usually about parts fit or quality...not about cosmetics...LOL...I don't know who on this website to believe.

Failure2Stop
08-17-13, 10:12
My problem is when I ask a somewhat newbie question...usually about parts fit or quality...not about cosmetics...LOL...I don't know who on this website to believe.

Therein lies the value of the the search button. Immediately accessible verification of information.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

C4LT1
10-24-14, 21:23
As a new member of this site since 03/14 I can offer my own personal observations. First and foremost, I can clearly see there are individuals here that know far more about the AR platform than I. As such... my outlook has been to "actually read" and learn as much as I can prior to asking a question. Yes at times, I'll read a post and wonder ... why was it closed or why was the answer one in which I did not expect. The reality of the situation is this... I'm learning. I may feel an answer was short and it may be one I don't agree with but at the end of the day.... I'm here to learn and not let my emotions believe I've been butt hurt!! Plain and simple.

We all learn from those who have gone before us.