PDA

View Full Version : ?2 gun matches?

mpom
10-15-10, 11:34
Wondering if there is/are any matches that utilize a carbine and sidearm, no shotgun, in the VA, NC region?
Am aware of 3 gun matches at Black Water, but don't want to spend the time and money required to field a shotgun. Have been competing in some local "practical" pistol matches, and now getting into training with a carbine. I live in southeast VA and would appreciate any info or leads.

Thanks in advance,
Mark:blink:

Mikey
10-15-10, 11:40
Some IDPA clubs throw a rifle side match in with the days events. Just depends on the schedule and the club.

Most 3 gun events I've been to have no shortage of people willing to let you borrow a shotgun if you need one. Just bring your own ammo. I've lent mine out several times. Just be friendly and polite about it.

Mike

Fried Chicken Blowout
10-15-10, 16:57
I've also went to several 3-Gun Matches and just shot two guns. Just let the match director know ahead of time and take a DNF on that stage. You won't place well overall but you can compare your scores stage by stage and see how you did. I ran one with a Rem 870 that was only a 4 round mag tube, it was painful. The stage was setup for guys with long barrels and huge mag tubes. So if you're into spending an ass load of time reloading a non-competition based shotgun you can get into it for a couple hundred bucks. But be ready to reload...

wmounts
10-15-10, 17:23
Like Mikey said, just show up with ammo... There will be a number of competitors who will quickly offer up the use of their shotgun.
Check out Black Creek 3gun, also. They're on the the last Saturday of the month, usually at Mechanicsville, these days sometimes at Cavalier.

glockshooter
10-15-10, 18:16
A friend and I run the blackwater 3gun matches, and if you sign up and let us know ahead of time we'll have a gun for you to use. Just bring the ammo. There is no one in the area doing rifle and pistol matches only. Black Creek is run by a friend of mine and it would be the same bring the ammo and they'll get you a gun.

Matt

bulbvivid
10-15-10, 18:55
Buy a used 870. Put an extension on it. Go have fun.

Don't let the shotgun keep you out of 3-gun. The shotgun stuff is the apple butter on the biscuit.

piggly_wiggly
10-15-10, 23:05
4th Houghton Memorial Match @ West Point (USMA) is an 8 stage 2-gun Match. Dates haven't been officially announced, but unofficially I know they are looking at the weekend of 4/23/11 (Easter weekend).

mpom
10-16-10, 09:13
Thanks for the replies!
Specifically, what shotgun ammo and how much? I realize slugs for long range; how many rounds of sabot and what size/power of shot loads? I've got a cylinder bored Ithaca 37, no extended mag tube. Don't think it will be useful for 3gun... Will look up Black Creek and Black Water.

Mark

Fried Chicken Blowout
10-16-10, 12:54
Most of the websites for the 3-Gun schedule will have the required number of rounds. You can get away with pretty much any cheap birdshot if you plan on using someone's pump. If you're going to use an auto, you'll need something better than the 100 box walmart bird shot. Some autos will run it and some won't. I'll leave that advice to someone else that has more experience with autoloading shotguns.

Get the low recoil slugs if you can find them, your shoulder will thank you. Some matches also call for buck shot, I would get those in low recoil as well.

You can always bring your Ithica and scope it out once you see what the stage or stages are like. If it's a low round count, you might be okay. Then if you need to barrow someone's gun you can do that too.

glockshooter
10-16-10, 15:20
Walmart value packs are fine as long as you are shooting a mod choke. Otherwise you will need bigger shot. Low recoil slugs are also preferred.

Matt

mpom
10-17-10, 14:58
Again, thanks for the feedback.

Mark

G-lock
10-18-10, 15:39
Start an ACTS chapter. Go here for info.

actshooters.com

2 gun format, we have 3 clubs one in AZ and 2 in MI.

Regards, Jeff

CaptainDooley
01-09-11, 11:49
Start an ACTS chapter. Go here for info.

actshooters.com

2 gun format, we have 3 clubs one in AZ and 2 in MI.

Regards, Jeff

That looks exactly like something I'd like to do... Maybe after I've been a range member for a while I'll see if anyone wants to start up a Texas chapter with me...

Alaskapopo
01-10-11, 01:21
Wondering if there is/are any matches that utilize a carbine and sidearm, no shotgun, in the VA, NC region?
Am aware of 3 gun matches at Black Water, but don't want to spend the time and money required to field a shotgun. Have been competing in some local "practical" pistol matches, and now getting into training with a carbine. I live in southeast VA and would appreciate any info or leads.

Thanks in advance,
Mark:blink:

You can set up a 870 or a Benelli Nova pretty affordable. No it won't be as fast as the Semi's but you will do ok and have fun. Have less than 500 into this 870.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/shotguns/870threegunshotgun.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/shotguns/870.jpg

mpom
01-10-11, 18:53
Thanks.
I have an old Itaca pump, cylinder bore, so can use that. A friend who is into 3G offered to let me borrow one of his shotguns. Will have to go watch a 3G match, and see if I want to compete, and if yes, then may try running the pistol and carbine portions for a while.

Mark

Jeff Franz
01-10-11, 18:57
We have a two gun "tactical" match at PHA in Lexington, NC the third Saturday of every month. The next one is this Saturday, weather permitting. It is two stages, and usually incorporates mag changes and transitions to a secondary on at least one stage, if not both. If you're ever in the area, check it out. They are always a good time, and with the exception of safety, there are not a ton of rules to get bogged down in.