PDA

View Full Version : M&P takedown problem

jaydoe
10-16-10, 12:42
I have a minor problem with an M&P compact. After locking the slide back, rotating the takedown lever, and releasing the slide stop for takedown, the takedown lever sharply springs back into its horizontal position. It has to be held down in order to get the slide off. It seems to have to do with the interaction between the lever and the recoil spring, since the guide rod moves at the same time the lever springs back, and sometimes it's possible to prevent the problem by holding slight pressure on the exposed guide rod during takedown.

Not a big deal, but a major nuisance for the young woman who owns the gun.

I have another 9c, and wonder about the advisability of exchanging parts between them- and if swapping takedown levers could solve the problem.

Has anyone else ever seen this malfunction?

Thanks for any insights,

jd

Robb Jensen
10-16-10, 12:46
It's normal. Some M&Ps do it more than others. My M&P45 doesn't do this at all. My M&P Pro 9 and M&P Pro 40 do it, more so with the .40

Urabus23
10-16-10, 18:36
My guns do the same...I just hold the lever down with my thumb while taking the slide off.

cj5_dude
10-16-10, 18:49
Mine does it on occasion too. I'm not sure why you're releasing the slide with the slide stop instead of pulling the whole slide back with your hand.

When I take mine down I

1. Lock the slide to the rear
2. Lower the sear disconnect (I think it's only on guns without a magazine safety)
3. Rotate the takedown lever 90 degrees
4. Hold the takedown lever rotated with my R thumb with the rest of the fingers behind the grip
5. Grasp the slide with my left hand as if racking the slide
6. Pull the slide back and then off the gun

My R thumb is holding the takedown lever rotated the entire time. It's really easy. I never release the slide with the slide stop.

mhanna91
10-16-10, 18:56
Mine sorta does the same thing, except for it only happens when I am putting my slide back on. When it is about 1/4" from being slid all the way on, my takedown lever snaps up about 45 degrees and I have to hold it down with my thumb to get the slide on. No biggie.

SWATcop556
10-16-10, 19:13
I guess I've lucked out as none of the four that I own do this. I have seen it just not with mine. I had a fellow deputy swith out his takedown lever with no change.

Naxet1959
10-16-10, 19:25
My 9fs works as advertised...

jaydoe
10-16-10, 20:20
<<<I'm not sure why you're releasing the slide with the slide stop instead of pulling the whole slide>>>

Yeah, I've done it both ways with the same result. The lever still has to be held down.

<<Mine sorta does the same thing, except for it only happens when I am putting my slide back on. >>

This one does that too.

<<I had a fellow deputy switch out his takedown lever with no change.>>

Thanks, that's useful info. It'll keep me from taking two guns apart to try that.

Like I said, it's not a big problem except that one of the major selling points of the MP9c is that it's exceptionally well suited to tiny hands, as many women and some men have. This malfunction makes it difficult for people with small hands to perform one of the most common manipulations of a pistol- field stripping it for cleaning.

There is some element of the geometry of one of the parts- frame, slide, takedown lever, recoil spring assembly, barrel, whatever- that makes this happen. Sooner or later a clever M&P smith will figure out what it is.

Thanks for the comments, and for any more observations anyone might have.

jc

kal0220
10-16-10, 22:17
My 9c does it but not the 9. At first I thought it was cause I had played with it too much. I have noticed that if I push up on the slightly on the guide rod it doesn't do it, just enough to change the position of it by a little bit. YMMV.

awmp
10-16-10, 22:22
My full size M&P 9mm does the same, but my mid size M&P 45acp does not, so who knows, they both shoot great though. (Apex is your friend)

MichaelD
10-17-10, 09:27
Both of my 9c's have done this at one time or another. I've found two solutions:

1. Hold the pistol with my left hand and brace the takedown lever with my left trigger finger as I release the slide with my right hand;

2. Pull the front of the recoil spring rod as close to the barrel and away from the dust cover as possible immediately after locking back the slide, then rotate the takedown lever.

Both methods keep the takedown lever in place and work great.

willowofwisp
10-17-10, 10:13
My old 9c did this too almost every time.