PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for next rifle

zacbol
10-16-10, 17:20
I have a bit of money coming my way, most of which will be put into savings, but I'd also like to have a little fun and get another rifle. I'm just having a bit of a hard time deciding what.

I'm not trying to fill any perceived need, so this is completely subjective and really ranges all over the place. I just want something that will be fun and will be different enough from what I have now as to be interesting. I do want something that I could depend on if necessary, but I already have "goto" guns in my Colt LE6940 and an HK45. Price at this point is immaterial so ignore that.

I think if I was able to shoot all my potential choices, it'd make things easier, but only a few are available via local ranges so if people have one or more of what I'm considering, what they most *enjoy* shooting would be helpful. Any comments/thoughts/direct experience is appreciated. Thanks!

usmcvet
10-16-10, 18:08
I would suggest you buy an SBR. I have an LMT 10.5" & a BCM 11.5".

The BCM SBR lower is a great deal:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM-NFA

The LMT SBR is an excellent deal too. I bought mine from Grant @ G&R
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SBR-10

Here is a third option.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SBR-P-12

Go for the SBR.

zacbol
10-16-10, 18:16
I would suggest you buy an SBR. I have an LMT 10.5" & a BCM 11.5".

The BCM SBR lower is a great deal:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=LWR-BCM-NFA

The LMT SBR is an excellent deal too. I bought mine from Grant @ G&R
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SBR-10

Here is a third option.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SBR-P-12

Go for the SBR.
Thanks for the suggestion! It sounds great but unfortunately is not an option for me since I live in Washington. SBRs are illegal here unless you're an FFL. If I go the BCM 14.5 route, I'll have to have a permanently fixed compensator to bring it up to 16''. I probably should amend the poll so that's clear.

EDIT: Ah, seems I can only edit the post and not the poll itself. Oh well.

Of course, this is also the state where it's legal to own a suppressor...as long as you don't use it. Go figure.

usmcvet
10-16-10, 18:24
Sorry about that. I did not see your poll until after I posted. I voted for the 14.5"
BCM Middy. That is my third AR it has an AAC FH pinned. Great gun.

g5m
10-16-10, 18:54
If you want to get into a heavier caliber the para FALs of whatever variety are always rather nice.

richdkim77
10-16-10, 18:55
I too live in WA, so I feel your SBR pain. I run a BCM 14.5 with a FSC556 permed on duty. I love this gun. It shoots so very smooth, I highly recommend one. With the choices you've listed on your poll, you could probably get a BCM and another gun on your list without breaking the bank.

zacbol
10-16-10, 19:02
I too live in WA, so I feel your SBR pain. I run a BCM 14.5 with a FSC556 permed on duty. I love this gun. It shoots so very smooth, I highly recommend one. With the choices you've listed on your poll, you could probably get a BCM and another gun on your list without breaking the bank.
Definitely a lot of love for the BCM from the poll thus far so I'm sure it's an outstanding weapon. I'd love to hear from anyone who has time with one as well as with the SR15, since it seems like the SR15 is everything the BCM is and more (except for being a bit longer). Maybe not.

ryan
10-16-10, 19:54
If money is no problem why not go all out? KAC SR25 EMC all day long.

SteveL
10-16-10, 20:26

My thoughts exactly.

zacbol
10-16-10, 20:50
The EMC was my original choice, but I subsequently broadened the horizon of what I was considering. Originally I wasn't even considering another 5.56 rifle (AR or otherwise).

I have to admit I've flirted with the idea of the Scar 17 instead of the SR25 given it's a 2k less and not an AR-pattern rifle. But it seems like support from FN sucks so I'm a bit wary of going that route.

bgrundy
10-16-10, 21:39
I had an FAL Para that I sold a couple of years ago (and sorely regret doing so). It was an SAR-48 with a DSA para kit. If you want something different - a departure from the AR platform - the FAL is durable as hell and has decades of combat history behind it.

ryan
10-17-10, 00:25
Yeah just dont put that FAL beside the EMC, it might eat it. Seriously the EMC is awesome to say the least. I cant believe the LMT MWS isnt up there, thats what Im saving my money for, the KAC is way outa reach.

Bolt_Overide
10-17-10, 03:51
if youve got the cheddar for an sr25 emc, get one, its the cats ass.

A close second for me is a quality (IE: no century parts kit crap) metric FAL para congo, its my favorite version of the fal.

Beyond those two I might consider another SBR, maybe something in 9mm.

jp0319
10-17-10, 10:41
If money was not an issue I would go with the SR-25 EMC, even though I voted in the poll for the BCM middy.

zacbol
10-17-10, 11:01
If money was not an issue I would go with the SR-25 EMC, even though I voted in the poll for the BCM middy.
Well, it's not so much that's money's no object as that I do have the opportunity to get any of the above. The question is (and this is what is tough to quantify) will the SR25 EMC really be *that* much more enjoyable to shoot.

Asking others what *I* shoud get is a little silly, but what I was really looking for, and which may have been defeated by having the poll be part of the post, was subjective thoughts on how much enjoyment folks get out of these various weapons. Obviously, it's not a linear relationship. An SR25 EMC definitely won't be 4 times as much fun as the BCM, but is it more interesting enough to justify the cost? Would I get just as much enjoyment out of a $700 AK?

I didn't really specifiy what my intentions were, but those will adapt to the rifle. Right now I do training courses fairly frequently (mostly handgun thus far), but am signed up for a carbine course in November and will certainly take more. Not really into hunting and I don't foresee having to shoot through cars when the apocaplypse happens (if it gets to that point I'm pretty sure I'll be dead), but I'd just like to have some fun but I don't need to blow thousands and thousands of dollars if something else will bring juts as much enjoyment.

Again, it's kind of a shitty question since it's so subjective, but all I am looking for really was others subjective experiences in shooting/purchasing.

ryan
10-17-10, 11:43
In that case buy 2 BCMs.

BrentC
10-17-10, 14:56
SR-25/ SR-15/ BCM 14.5 middy
the only reason why i picked the sr15 over the middy is because of the ambi lower. SR-25 all the way if you have the money

SouthPark
10-18-10, 13:33
I am going to utter heresy. If you own one quality AR, but not an AK, think about a SAM 7 which is a milled, quality gun or maybe a Kalashnilov made in Russia, or a Krebs if you can afford it. Clint Smith did a recent review of Krebs and gave a strong endorsement. They are expensive, right up there with very customized ARs.

Krebs makes excellent rails and other accessories for the AK, as well as a better rear sight. I have a SAM 7 and it is a very solid rifle. Add some Krebs rails and you will rock. I have never had an AK jam, but I use good Arsenal mags, too.

zacbol
12-19-10, 15:29
UPDATE: Not that anyone gives a crap but I ended up going with an SR15. Figured
1) I'm not so proficient with the AR I should be messing around with other weapon systems.
2) I don't have any compelling need for a 308
3) I wanted to see what all the fuss was about since I've never shot one & no one I know personally has one
4) After running my LE6940 through a 2 day carbine course I decided it'd be nice to have an even lighter rifle--though by no means was the Colt "bad"

Picked it up last night and put a few magazines through it. Very happy with it so far though I don't know if I really thought the recoil was *that* profoundly different than my carbine-length Colt. Though I have a BattleComp on it so it skews things a bit. Thanks everyone for your advice.

M-4VA
12-19-10, 15:36
Lot's of good rifles, went with DSA FAL just cause I want one:laugh: