PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinions, please

Bobert0989
10-17-10, 01:43
Looking to drop around $600-700 on a pistol to be my new ccw. Options include: (All in 9mm as I have an abundance of it already. I believe that 15-20 rounds of 9mm on-target is enough defense for me)

A sweet USP 9mm currently on Broker, includes two mags, light, case, etc. Downfall here, it's been previously issued, unknown round count.

Another option is the XDm in 9mm (which I could get NEW), love the capacity, also understand that they seem over-priced, some people don't like the bore height, and some people have issues with SA's marketing strategies, and not easily servicable (compared to G17, pretty much).

Other Option is an M&P 9mm, but haven't had any personal shooting time with any sort of M&P, so honestly do not know how well I like them as of yet. I have fired both USP and XD, both in .40, and preferred the USP to the XD, but did not dislike either.

Last option is also used on Broker, an early-run P226 in 9mm. I love my current P6, but mag capacity is the main reason I can't bring myself to carry it. I can't justify a single-stack 9mm pistol when I could carry my 1911 and have the same capacity of .45's.

I know the USP is a steal at that price, I only worry about the round count. What issues could arise from a gun with high-round counts from HK? I had to replace the guide rod and recoil spring in my P6 recently due to parts-wear... What is the risk of buying this USP?

So my question, in search of honest first-hand opinions:

Where would you sink your money if you were me? (Please take note that the G17 is NOT an option for me right now, they just don't really fit me.)

Thanks

~Bobby

Ak44
10-17-10, 02:13
M&P 9 with Apex upgrades...Nuff said :dance3:

ChicagoTex
10-17-10, 02:56
If you're hot for the USP, go for it, unless it's seen in excess of 100,000 rounds (HIGHLY improbable), all you'll probably need/want to replace are the various springs.

Ditto the P226 unless it's been exposed to a steady diet of hot loads (check the frame rail area and locking block area for any signs of stress).

The M&P9 is also a fine firearm with a huge following on this board, that kind of enthusiasm doesn't come easy.

Just, for the love of God, do NOT buy the XDm (do some research on this board regarding the endless problems with XDs)

For disclosure purposes I've owned a P229 and M&P9 (both of which I loved, but had to sell to pay bills. For the record, I want the SIG back way more than the M&P), and an XD40 (which I sold because it was inaccurate and bit the hell out of me on every shot) - I have yet to have the pleasure of owning an H&K but wouldn't hesitate to for a moment.

SWATcop556
10-17-10, 02:56
First off I would stay clear of the XD. More problems than they are worth. Do some of them work, yes. However I have seen many more choke from hard use.

I personally do not feel that the HK is worth the price of admission. They are well built quality handguns but they have their drawbacks as any platform will. They are much more complicated to work on without the proper knowledge and parts are harder to source, thought this has improved over the years. Magazines are expensive as well. The HK handguns are just too expensivve for my needs but YMMV.

I would either go with the M&P9 FS or the Glock 19 (Gen 3, I would stay away from the Gen4 for the time being). The G19 is one of the most vetted and carried handgun by serious shooters in the world. Many US LEO's and serious shooters carry them and they are about as boring to shoot as any handgun out there because they just plain run. Mags are reasonable and parts are widespread and abundant. Working on a Glock is simple after about one hours instruction and a good used G19 can be had for $350-400 depending on how hard you look. I would have zero issues with carrying a second hand G19.

The M&P, with some minor tweaks depending on how picky you are, can be just as reliable as the G19. I prefer the M&P over the Glock but from a purely ergonomic standpoint. I just shoot them better. They also have all of th benefits of the Glock listed above.

Both the M&P and the G19 are easily carried in a concealed role to the duty holster to HD. You would be wise to pick either and both will come in under the price point given so you would have extra $$$ to drop on a class, more ammo, quality holster, and spare mags and parts.

chilic82
10-17-10, 06:49
I'm with SwatCop. M&P9 or G19. I have owned HK pistols, and the USP for me is too top heavy, high bore axis, and I didn't like the trigger on mine. The Sig is a great gun, but the grip is fat and the gun is heavy. This is something to consider as you are going to be carrying it. If I was toting it around for looks then USP, for actual use M&P9.

Fried Chicken Blowout
10-17-10, 07:02
I've got several M&P9s and they are great. You can get them new for $500 and they can be adjusted to your liking for fit. S&W has stood behind them and they are Made in America. If you quilify for the LEO/Mil discount you can get them for the low $400 range or $500 with factory night sights.

In my opinion HK products are not worth the money and the XD is not the same quality as the S&W.

GLOCKMASTER
10-17-10, 07:05
Have you taken the time to read Handgun Help Reference - Links to Threads (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221) at the top this forum. It will probably answer most of your questions if you would just take the time to look through the threads listed.

Pardoner
10-17-10, 08:05
I'm with SwatCop. M&P9 or G19. I have owned HK pistols, and the USP for me is too top heavy, high bore axis, and I didn't like the trigger on mine. The Sig is a great gun, but the grip is fat and the gun is heavy. This is something to consider as you are going to be carrying it. If I was toting it around for looks then USP, for actual use M&P9.

I vote for the G19. It is small enough for CCW yet large enough for a good grip and magazine capacity. The design has been around long enough for it to be well proven.

I would stay away from the 4th Gen for now. Seems like there are a few bugs to get worked out.

There are TONS of aftermarket parts and accessories available for Glock.

You can pay a lot more to be able to sling lead jsut as good as the Glock.

GLOCKMASTER
10-17-10, 09:13
Topics of this nature have been discussed here numerous times. Please take the time to conduct research on past threads to find your answer.